• Published 6th Nov 2012
  • 2,487 Views, 91 Comments

To Test is Science! - Crimson Star



The sequel to "To Observe is Science!"

  • ...
7
 91
 2,487

Your battlefields may vary

A/n: The opinions and views expressed in this chapter by Dr. Manglanosa do not represent the opinions and views of the author, but rather, is an attempt to accurately portray the view of the Neo-Nazi movement, as experienced in a discussion between the author and a member of the Neo-Nazi party, who shall remain anonymous. The author hopes that the opinions expressed is not read as anything other than an attempt at good storytelling, and wants you, the reader, to draw your own conclusions.

*****
Ace marched into the throne room, his Royal Army uniform adorning his body. Princess Celestia, surprised by his presence, turned away from her lover, Worthy Cause, to address her lieutenant. Ace took a knee in front of Celestia, immediately expressing his humility. "Your highness, I wish to discuss with you a matter of great importance." He said, his eyes gazing upon the floor.

A prehensile wisp from Celestia's hair snaked it's way over to Ace's chin. Celestia raised Ace's head to look at her, and with a hoof, signalled for him to rise. Ace got to his feet. "What seems to be the problem, Lieutenant?" She asked.

"The new mercenaries who have made their base near Ponyville." Ace stated. "They follow a belief that may endanger Ponyville, and all it's inhabitants."

Celestia's brow furrowed in concern. "What sort of belief?"

"They are Nazis, your majesty." Ace said, matter-of-factly. But seeing the look of confusion in Celestia's face, Ace went on to explain. "On my world, the Nazi party follow a creed of hate and intolerance, and believe in racial superiority. They have been known to 'purge' those they deem inferior to their race. Mostly the Jewish, black humans, and gypsies."

Worthy Cause let out a small gasp, and his expression became one of worry. Celestia studied Ace. "And you believe these mercenaries intend to spread this doctrine to Equestria, and carry out such a purge?" She inquired.

Ace nodded. "I do, your highness. While there may be no Jewish ponies or black skinned humans here, my wife is a gypsy. If they knew such a fact, then I would fear for her safety, and it is my duty to protect not just her, but all of Equestria."

"I see." Celestia said, raising an eyebrow, before closing her eyes. She looked as if she was considering her options, and a few minutes passed before her eyes shot open, and she reached a conclusion. She looked up at Ace. "Lieutenant, I will hold a public court to resolve this matter. There you will voice your concerns, and confront the accused."

Ace shook his head. "I beg your pardon, Princess, but the fact that they follow a Nazi doctrine should be grounds enough for exile from Equestria." He persisted.

"Be that as it may, Equestrian law prohibits me from sentencing a group of ponies, or in this case, humans, to such a fate simply for having different beliefs." Celestia stated, her tone taking an air of finality. "The purpose of the court will be to prove they have ill intent for the citizens of Equestria."

Begrudgingly, Ace saluted. "I understand, your highness."

Celestia nodded, dismissing him. "Very well. The accused shall be notified, and court shall be held tomorrow morning."

*****

That night, Ace had gotten together some evidence on Nazi history from his databanks on his computer. Thanks to a Trans-Universal-Transmitter, Ace had access to Earth's internet, and was able to find reliable sources for both sides of the issue. He spent his night researching, and discussing the Princess' court tomorrow.

"I'll invite Twilight and the gang." Pinkie declared. "I'm sure we'd love to see you verbally whomp that meanie-pants into submission." She said, as she walked off to bed.

Ace smiled. "Thanks, Pinks." He called. "Having you guys there tomorrow is gonna mean a lot. I could use your support."

Pinkie looked back, and gave Ace a smile. "G'night, snookums. Don't stay up too late." With that, she went to bed.

A few hours passed. Ace yawned, and looked down at his evidence. 'I gotta remember. These ponies have never heard of a Nazi before.' He thought. 'I have to make sure the extent of the danger they're in is recognized. I hope I gathered enough evidence.' His eyes glanced over to his bedroom, and the bed. He smiled, seeing Pinkie snuggled under the covers. Getting up, he moved to the door, and after passing through, pressed a button on the wall. The door slid shut. He undressed, and got in the covers beside Pinkie, wrapping an arm around her. 'I've done a lot of work, and I've got my ducks in a row.' He thought. 'History shows that I'll be the victor. What could possibly happen?'

*****

An explosion shook the lab, jolting Ace and Pinkie awake. Warning klaxons were heard, echoing from all around the base. The sounds were most likely carrying into Ponyville. Ace shot up, getting on a pair of pants and his PDA. Just then, a Doc-bot entered the room. Ace looked up at him. "What happened?!" He demanded.

"Urgent statement: A projectile has exploded near one of our structures, master." The Doc-bot replied. "Recommend alerting all forces."

Ace looked over at Pinkie, who was shivering under the covers. He turned back to the Doc-bot, pointing at him. "Take a unit, and get Pinkie to safety! If she gets hurt, I'll melt you down into scrap!"

"Acknowledgement: Yes, master." The Doc-bot went to fetch Pinkie, who nervously got out from under the covers to be escorted by the bot.

As Pinkie left, Ace grabbed a microphone next to his computer, and spoke, his voice echoing from every loudspeaker on the base. "This is HQ to all forces! We're under attack! Enemy position unknown! Assault teams, investigate all sectors! All other units, take defensive positions!"

Various bots of various classifications began filing out of the garage and factory, taking up positions all over the base. Doc-bots armed with several different types of energy weapons began scouting the immediate area for signs of infiltration or assault. Those bots that were guarding the lab and base moved to various chokepoints to help defend the area.

Ace sat in a seat surrounded by a control panel, with a large screen in front of it. It showed a map of the base from a bird's eye view, divided into several boxes with numbers, all of which were red. Little dots marking various units moved all over the screen. Four of those dots were going into Ponyville, towards Sugarcube Corner. 'Pinkie's escort.' Ace thought. Once he saw the dots enter Sugarcube Corner, Ace turned his attention to the Assault teams, systematically going through each sector, clearing all the possible hiding places for infiltrators and saboteurs.

The radio on Ace's PDA crackled to life. "Report: Assault Team Bravo, checking in. Sector two is all clear." The Doc-bot on the other end said.

The red square with the number two flashed, turned green, then disappeared. Ace took his microphone on his PDA. "Acknowledged."

Another report came in a few minutes later. "Assault Team: Echo." The voice boomed. "Sector Five: Clear."

Sector five turned green. "Confirmed."

Directly after that, a different report came. "Report: Assault Team Charlie, checking in. Master, we've discovered burn residue from an unidentified substance. It could be propellant for explosives."

As they spoke, a white dot appeared in their sector, marking off the area. "Acknowledged. Document it, and continue your search." Ace ordered.

It was then that Ace noticed that most of the units near the Ponyville side of the base were congregating in a line. Curious, he took his PDA mic, and contacted the nearest assault team. "Assault Team Foxtrot, this is HQ. Report your status."

The Doc-bot on the other end relayed a message. "Report: This is Assault Team Foxtrot. Master, some of the ponies have begun to get curious as to what happened. They seem intent on watching events unfold."

Ace cursed under his breath, before responding. "I'll handle them. Return to your investigation." Not waiting for a response, Ace grabbed the mic off his console, and spoke. His voice was heard on the loudspeakers throughout the base. "All citizens of Ponyville near the base, this is Dr. Ace Sorou. This area is not secure. You are not safe, here. Return to your homes at once, and barricade yourselves until I give the All Clear."

Upon hearing this, the various ponies gathered outside Ace's lab rushed home, locking themselves inside. Now with nothing to worry about from the local populace, Ace returned to monitoring the reports coming in from his assault teams. Soon enough, all sectors within his base were clear. But the enemy could still be in Ponyville. Ace had to make sure. He grabbed his microphone, and his voice sounded on the loudspeakers.

"This is HQ. The enemy may still be in the area. Assault teams, fan out, and search Ponyville. Patrol teams, stay in defensive positions. Combat teams, patrol the perimeter. All forces, exercise extreme caution."

The bots began to get to their ordered positions. Teams of Doc-bots patrolled the trails of Ponyville. Anypony looking out the windows might see a group of glowing red eyes, or the occasional blue scanning beam. An amalgam of different robots remained at the base, ready to fire at invaders at the drop of a hat. Soon enough, Ponyville was secure, as reports came in from the Assault teams, giving their sector a 'clear' status.

It was a good hour before the last report came in. All sectors were clear of any enemy activity. Ace sighed, concluding that this was just a 'sucker punch.' He picked up his microphone, and his voice boomed out of the speakers. "This is HQ. All clear, area secure. All units, return to your positions." Ace had taken the time to get dressed all the way, and decided now would be a good time to inspect the damage to the base, and find out exactly what happened.

*****

"The explosion at my base was no accident, Your Grace." Ace insisted. Dressed in his Royal Army uniform again, he stood across from Dr. Manglanosa in his black suit, wearing a Nazi band on his arm. It was here, in Celestia's court, that he would plead his case, and hopefully, this would be the last anyone would have to hear about Nazis in Equestria.

Celestia shook her head. "I do not dispute that, lieutenant. But you cannot go around accusing just anypony without reasonable suspicion." She stated. "What motive would Dr. Manglanosa have to order an attack on your base?"

"This was retaliation, Milady. Plain and simple." Ace replied. "Dr. Manglanosa had ample motive to attack my base. The last time we saw each other was at Sugarcube corner, where Manglanosa expressed a marked disdain for me. His exact words were 'Know this; I will not soon forgive this affront! You have made a powerful enemy today, an extremely unwise move! I WILL have my satisfaction, Doutor Sorou!' The night after this was said, my base was attacked. Not only does he have the motive, the timeframe fits, and his forces are the only ones with the kind of firepower to damage my structures. If this doesn't prove that these men have ill intent for Equestria's citizens, I don't know what does."

The Princess turned to Manglanosa. "Dr. Manglanosa, do you have anything to say in your defense?"

The doctor merely smiled. "Your Majesty, Dr. Sorou's logic is infallible. He would be right to suspect me of this, but he would be wrong in believing I was guilty. I do not retaliate over words. If I did, my forces would've been hunted down long ago. I can assure you, one quick call to my base, and all my records pertaining to mission briefings and personnel rosters in Equestria would be available for even public eyes to see. I'll even give you a full list of the weapons in my armory. All are present and accounted for, and none have been used in Equestria."

"Your Highness, I wish to bring up the possibility that this was a 'black op.'" Ace interjected.

All attentions turned to Ace. "A 'black op', lieutenant?" The Princess asked.

Ace sighed, and began to explain. "A 'black op', short for 'black operation', is a mission carried out in secret by officially enlisted personnel. All briefings are off-the-record, and all personnel documents list the involved participants as elsewhere during the time of the op. If this was indeed a black op, and it was committed by Manglanosa's forces, then the records he provides might be falsified."

"Your Highness," Manglanosa interjected, annoyance in his voice. "I ask that Doutor Sorou provide proof that my forces were there. After all, if my evidence can be falsified, then surely the Doutor has evidence that is more trustworthy."

"I do, Doctor." Ace replied, his voice dripping with confidence. "There is burn residue on the grass near the perimeter of my base. The angle and trajectory are aimed right at my damaged structures, and the burn pattern is consistent with an RPG."

Pinkie, who had been in the audience, spoke up in enthusiasm. "Role-Playing-Game? Does that mean they were playing wizards out there?" Her ears drooped. "Why didn't they invite me?"

Ace suppressed a chuckle, but smiled. "I understand there may be some confusion about the term." He said to the Princess, his voice still serious. "In this case, RPG means Rocket-Propelled-Grenade, an explosive device mounted to a rocket, which is launched at a target. The device explodes when it comes in contact with the target."

Princess Celestia cocked an eyebrow. "And you believe Manglanosa's forces used an RPG to attack you?"

Ace nodded. "I do." A hushed murmur went through the crowd.

Manglanosa harrumphed. "Well then, Your Highness. I wish to cast suspicion on another."

Ace looked toward his adversary, as the Princess spoke. "I'm listening."

Manglanosa strode to the center of the court, and addressed the entire audience. "I make the claim that there was another force in the area. Another army who was in the same location, who could possibly have attacked Dr. Sorou's base."

"And who does this other force belong to?" The Princess insisted.

Manglanosa smiled, as he spun around, and pointed an accusing finger. "None other than the man making the accusations, Dr. Sorou!" The crowd gasped, and Ace just stared at Manglanosa. "It's simple, Your Majesty." He explained. "Dr. Sorou holds great disdain for the Nazi movement. And so he ordered his own forces to attack his own base with their own weapons in order to concoct a scheme to frame me and my honest mercenaries." The doctor wagged his finger, tsking with his tongue. "For shame, Doutor. For shame."

Celestia turned to Ace, her expression neutral. "Lieutenant, is this true?"

Ace smirked, and shrugged. "I don't see how it could be, seeing as that is impossible." He declared. "After all, none of my weapons use something so primitive as projectiles."

Ace's glare shot daggers at Manglanosa, whose jaw dropped in disbelief. "What?!" Manglanosa exclaimed.

Ace went on to explain, taking the center court himself. "I have crafted heat rays, particle beams, plasma weapons, and I'm currently working on a weapon that can attack a target on a molecular level." Ace's smirking face regarded his opponent. "Dr. Manglanosa, what, pray tell, is in my arsenal that can replicate the burn patterns and residue of an RPG? Even if I had rockets, why would I use them when I clearly have more powerful weapons than that in my armory? What next, are you gonna accuse me of stealing your weapons in order to use them on my base? You said so yourself, all your weapons are accounted for, and haven't been used in Equestria."

Manglanosa, caught off guard, scowled, as sweat began to form on his brow. "The lieutenant brings up a good point, doctor." The Princess agreed. "There is no way his own forces could've attacked his base, even if he has the motive you described. He has no access to the weapon used in this attack."

"Uh...But..." Manglanosa struggled to find words, before a thought occurred to him. Straightening himself, Manglanosa smiled. "Hmph."

Ace looked on intently. "You're awfully confident all of a sudden." He noted.

Manglanosa turned to address the court. "How are we so certain it is a rocket that has been used in the attack?" He asked.

A confused expression crossed Ace's face. "The burn patterns are consistent with a blast from an RPG." He stated, looking over some documents he brought with him.

Manglanosa held up a finger to him. "Ah, but are there other things that can leave such a residue?"

Ace looked up at him skeptically. "The only energy weapon in my arsenal that can leave a burn pattern of any type are plasma weapons." He showed Manglanosa a picture. "And as you can see, the burn pattern for my plasma lancers is quite different then that of the weapon used in the attack."

Manglanosa ignored the picture, and began to pace as he spoke. "Even so, the burn pattern isn't from any RPG in my arsenal, either." He stated, taking the file with the evidence, and looking it over, before handing it back.

Ace looked at the file, then back at Manglanosa, then back at the file. "How can you make that claim?" He asked, looking up.

Manglanosa looked at Ace, smiling confidently. "Tell me, what substance was found in the burn residue?"

Ace hesitated. "...After constant analysis, the residue is still unidentified."

"Hmm." Manglanosa nodded, and then shrugged. "In that case, there is no way my forces committed the attack."

The Princess looked on attentively. "How so?" She asked.

Manglanosa pointed at Ace, his finger threatening to poke Ace's face. "You are from Earth, correct? And with your brilliant mind, you likely have the entire periodic table on file, yes?"

Annoyed, Ace pushed Manglanosa's finger out of the way. "Yes on both accounts. What's your point?" He asked.

Manglanosa shrugged, and resumed pacing. "It's strange that after constant analysis, the residue is still unidentified, when all of my weapons use conventional elements. Don't you think that your analysis would've detected iron, sulfur, or magnesium by now? Three common elements found in all explosives? A smart man such as yourself should know by now that if my weapons were involved, then your analysis would've shown something."

Ace scowled. "If that's the case, then I request a Canterlot forensics team to identify the substance." He said, addressing Celestia. "If the substance is of Equestrian origin, then Dr. Manglanosa is not responsible for the attack. But if it's from Earth, then he and his forces are the only ones who can be held responsible."

Manglanosa nodded. "I agree to this. Have a Canterlot forensics team identify the substance. And when it is revealed that it is not of Earth origin, my innocence will be proven." He stated.

Princess Celestia nodded towards one of the guards, who took the bag. "Then it shall be done. The substance will be identified by a Canterlot forensics team. In the meantime, we shall move on to why you were both originally summoned here." The two humans returned to their desks, as Celestia prepared to speak. "Dr. Sorou has expressed concern that your doctrine is one of hatred and murder. He cites that those who follow your belief have been known to kill groups of people simply because they deem those people inferior. The list includes but is not limited to people practicing Judaism, humans with dark skin complexions, and gypsies." At this last remark, Pinkie gasped, as her eyes widened, and her pupils narrowed. She frowned, her ears drooped, and she shrank back behind Twilight, scared that she might be seen.

Manglanosa remained stoic, facing the Princess. "The antisemitism expressed during the Reich is not part of the precepts my men and I follow. The Fuhrer wanted to create a master race, and a perfect world, nothing more."

Ace glared at Manglanosa. "And you think that killing six million people is the way to create a perfect world?"

Manglanosa looked at Ace passively, and looked back at Celestia. "You refer to the Holocaust. An event written into history by the victors of world war two."

Ace cocked an eyebrow. "Written in?"

Manglanosa shrugged. "To the victor go the spoils, Doutor. That includes the rights to the history books. Those who win can make the loser out to be whatever they please. They can claim that their enemy is anything they want them to be, including a cult of genocidal maniacs."

Ace gawked. "You unbelievable...! Are you implying that the Holocaust was just an enormous propaganda campaign to make us hate Nazis?!"

"That is exactly what I am saying, Doutor!" Manglanosa asserted forcibly. "The allies would have said anything to justify the invasion of Germany, especially the Americans! The only reason they joined the British attack was because they purposely mistook a non-aggression pact with the Japanese as an alliance with Nazi Germany!"

"You mother...!" Ace expressed, his face contorted in disbelief. "There are people still alive today that managed to escape the horrors your kind put them through! They live to tell the tale! And if that's not enough, Auschwitz, the prison camp your grandfather worked at-"

"Auschwitz was not a prison camp!" Manglanosa interrupted. "It was a laboratory! One that specialized in medical research!"

"By experimenting on human subjects!" Ace shouted. "It's now a museum dedicated to those that were killed in the Holocaust, made so that we can never forget the fallen!"

"PEACE!" Celestia called, the Royal Canterlot voice causing both humans to jump. Princess Celestia, seeing that she had their attention, spoke calmly, and collected. "This is obviously a very heated debate. As this court is to determine whether or not Manglanosa's forces are a threat to Equestria, I shall treat it as a debate between two intellectuals. Dr. Sorou, you support the notion that the Nazis are evil, and Dr. Manglanosa, you dispute the opinion. I shall moderate the debate. Dr. Manglanosa, you have the floor. What is the Nazi philosophy?"

Manglanosa spoke. "At it's core, Nazism is akin to social Darwinism. Those who can are in charge, and those who cannot are forgotten. Nazism has been around since 1925, when Adolf Hitler published his book, Mein Kampf, which translated to English means 'My Struggle.' In the book, he saw the weakness in political practices such as Democracy and Communism. Democracy was and still is prone to corruption, as political parties take control of what would otherwise be a great nation if it weren't for their own greed and oppression. Communism works in theory, but the idea that all are equal under the eyes of the state just creates a power vacuum, and asks for a corrupt man to take charge. In this way, Communism is more like Anarchy.

"Nazism, however, stresses patriotism, the removal of corruption, and a strong Fuhrerprinzip, or Leader Principle. This means that you must believe in your leader. Responsibility must be taken up the ranks, and authority must be handed down. The belief in Blut und Boden, Blood and Soil, means that your family and country must come first, and is represented by the red and black on our emblem. It is also important to support local culture, to remind yourself of your roots, and what you fight to protect. By following these concepts, there can be created a Herrenrasse, a Master Race. An Aryan race of perfection and beauty, unrivaled by any other. I cannot see any violence or turmoil caused by Nazism with concepts such as these. In fact, our central emblem, the Swastika, is really a symbol of peace, taken from Indian culture. If we are so hateful and intolerant, why then, do we use a symbol of peace from another culture as our emblem?"

Celestia turned to Ace. "Dr. Sorou, your response?"

Ace held up a finger, as if to think. "I noticed something about my opponent's explanation. He wanted to focus on the concepts that made it good, and ignore the ones that made it bad. I think in order to get the big picture, you'd have to take in everything there is to know. Nazism believes in an Aryan race, but what my opponent doesn't say is what to do with Non-Aryans. Mein Kampf stated that a nation is the highest creation of a race, and great nations were the creation of great races. The weakest nations, Hitler said, were those of impure or mongrel races, because they have divided, quarreling, and therefore weak cultures. Worst of all were seen to be the parasitic Untermensch, meaning Subhumans, and mainly consisted of Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals, the disabled and so-called anti-socials, all of whom were considered lebensunwertes Leben, or Lifeunworthy Life, due to their perceived deficiency and inferiority.

"According to Nazism, it is an obvious mistake to permit or encourage multilingualism and multiculturalism within a nation. Fundamental to the Nazi goal was the unification of all German-speaking peoples, 'unjustly' divided into different Nation States. Hitler claimed that if nations could not defend their territory, then they did not deserve it. According to Hitler, 'Slave races,' the Untermensch, were less-worthy to exist than 'Master Races.' In particular, if a Master Race should require room to live, what he called 'Lebensraum,' he thought such a race should have the right to displace the inferior indigenous races. In Mein Kampf, Hitler draws parallels between Lebensraum and the American ethnic cleansing and relocation policies towards the Native Americans, which he saw as key to the success of the United States. With beliefs such as these, it's impossible to see Nazis as anything but a group of bigots who want to rule the world with an iron fist, and crush anyone who opposes them."

Manglanosa spoke quickly. "I'd like to respond to this."

Celestia nodded. "Thirty seconds."

Manglanosa collected his thoughts. "There is a reason I failed to mention what my opponent just did. The Fuhrer started suffering from syphilis at an early age. By the time he wrote Mein Kampf, he was already suffering from mental turmoil. Don't get me wrong, the Fuhrer was a great man, but he was not infallible. Today's Nazi does not believe the Untermensch should be less worthy to exist, but rather exist so that they can one day become part of the Herrenrasse. While a fine guide book for creating a great nation, it's concepts for dealing with the Untermensch are over seventy years out-of-date. All who wish to be part of the Herrenrasse will have the opportunity to be indoctrinated, and all who don't will simply become those who cannot."

Ace turned to Celestia. "If I may?"

Celestia nodded. "Fifteen seconds."

Ace faced Manglanosa. "You're talking about stripping away a person's cultural identity, and essentially getting them to disregard their heritage. Some things are deep rooted, and not given up so easily. What happens if you encounter a devout Jew? Or even worse, what if you encounter a Black man? According to your beliefs, such a man cannot be considered part of the Herrenrasse."

Manglanosa smirked. "So long as the man's heart is Aryan, then such a man need not fear the Herrenrasse."

Ace scowled. 'Which means that so long as a Black man believes himself inferior, then he has nothing to fear from Nazis.'

"I believe that enough time has been allocated to this debate." Celestia said, turning to Manglanosa. "Now then, Dr. Manglanosa, I believe you wanted to bring up a relevant subject?"

"Indeed I did, Your Majesty." Manglanosa brought her a file, before turning to Ace, and smiling deviously. "I expected that Sorou would try to analyze the belief of the Nazi movement." He turned back to Celestia. "So, I suggest we turn our attention to organized crime. And what better criminal organization to discuss than the Circle Eights?" He returned to his desk, oozing confidence.

Ace studied Manglanosa. "...You planned this." He concluded.

Manglanosa shrugged. "Well, I was prepared." His attention focused on Celestia. "Your Majesty, I believe the statement on the first page will establish relevance to this tribunal."

Ace smiled, pulling out a file from a pack next to his desk. "Good thing I prepared, too." He said. Everyone stared at him with varying degrees of skepticism. "What? You expect me to not consider every factor when going into battle? That's no way to achieve victory."

Princess Celestia noticed his confidence, and decided to give an offer. "In that case, perhaps you would like to start us off. Dr. Manglanosa will support the notion that the Circle Eights are evil. Dr. Sorou will dispute the opinion. Dr. Sorou, you have the floor. What is the Circle Eights philosophy?"

Ace immediately started speaking, opening his file. "The Circle Eights believe in the 'Hood. Brotherhood, Sisterhood, and Neighborhood. One thing I will agree on with Nazism, Democracy is prone to corruption. It's why we have street gangs in the first place. Police decide not to patrol too often around one area. Sometimes it's because there's no crime there. But if there is crime there, then it's because the rich want their areas patrolled more, and make sure no one grabs their money. And it's because of that the criminals migrate to unpatrolled neighborhoods, and begin stealing, dealing, and killing. What's a man to do when this happens? Organize his friends and families to fight back, and protect their livelihoods. Thus, a street gang is born. My father helped organize the first part of the Circle Eights in the city of Logan-Nara Visa, New Mexico. And in eight short years, the Circle Eights expanded their territory to Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Colorado.

"I won't lie, when I was in, the Circle Eights were into some pretty shady stuff. They smuggled, they dealt, they kidnapped, and they became the kings and queens of the streets in the Midwest. Because my dad was an OG, I was treated like royalty. But all that things they did was because they were trying to control it. You can't stop crime, it's there no matter what kind of civilization you're in. But you can control crime, and that's why the Circle Eights exist. They believe that if you can control the streets, you can control all the illegal things that go on. When my dad was in, he tried his best to make sure that all the crime was kept to a minimum. And he wasn't the only one. Another OG, let's call him 'Hammer,' thought the same way. If you can't stop it, you can at least redirect it. It's because of that, you can't really call them evil. They do what's necessary to protect their homes and their families. A lesson I put into practice, even today. I have no regrets about my past, and I hope one day, there will be no crime in my nation, and no need for gangs like the Circle Eights."

Princess Celestia turned to Manglanosa. "Dr. Manglanosa, your response?"

Manglanosa took center court, pacing as he addressed everyone in the court, and not just Celestia. "My opponent makes a compelling argument. But he fails to realize something. The ends do not justify the means. It is possible to be rid of crime, despite what Doutor Sorou says. Benito Mussolini, leader of Italy during World War two, and ally to Nazi Germany, managed to drive the Italian mafia out of his country. In a similar vein, Fidel Castro of Cuba did the same with the Cartels. If you want to fight the criminal element of society, you need a firm grip over your country. The United States has had a war on crime ever since it's inception. This American even supports the notion that his former nation lacks the purity to oppose it, and thus, has bred it's own criminal elements. He wishes there to be no crime, and yet, he still opposes the idea of a Nazi regime.

"Listen to what he says, my friends. He freely admits to being the child of a Crime Lord. He wants the crime to stop, but has given up hope that it shall. So instead, he supports an increase in crime by fighting crime with crime. His solution, and the solution the Circle Eights put forth, is in fact, no solution at all. Can we really trust a man who openly supports such a criminal element? Can we really trust him to do what's right?" A murmur of concern went through the crowd.

Ace held a finger up. "Can I respond?"

Celestia nodded. "Of course. You have thirty seconds."

Ace paced, addressing the audience. "The proposition of establishing a tyrannical government in order to control crime is the prospect of trading one devil for another. Benjamin Franklin once said 'Those who sacrifice freedom to gain security lose both, and deserve neither.' I don't claim to know what the ideal government is, and I don't claim that the Circle Eights know how to run a country. But I do know right from wrong. After my father died, I grew up in foster care with the Circle Eights watching over me. None of 'em could adopt me because state law prohibited adoptions by felons, but one man in particular took an interest in my life. My dad's friend, 'Hammer.' I'll never forget his words. 'Always do what you feel is right in here.'" Ace placed a hand over his heart. "'Trust that thing in your chest. Because it'll never steer you wrong.' His words have rang true throughout my life, and they continue to do so, even now. So while my opponent promises that his cause would bring security, and be rid of crime, he is making a promise he cannot fulfill. And I daresay everypony in this room knows it." He thumped his chest. "Right here. Trust it. It'll never steer you wrong."

All the ponies in the room were moved by the speech, even if it was a bit short. Princess Celestia turned to Manglanosa. "Do you have a response, Doctor?" Manglanosa couldn't think of a counter for his speech, so he shook his head. Celestia nodded. "Very well. In that case, there's nothing left to do but take a recess, and wait for the forensics tests to come back from the lab." The Princess tapped her hoof, signalling the recess. Manglanosa went to exit, but not before wordlessly glaring at Ace. He left, as Pinkie and the others moved to be with Dr. Sorou.