• Published 6th Nov 2012
  • 1,290 Views, 30 Comments

The Archer of Equestria - Thunder8277



A secret assassin, one final mission, and a land full of colorful ponies.

  • ...
3
 30
 1,290

First interaction

The Archer of Equestria

Chapter 5: First interaction

Prowling in the bushes were five timber wolves. They were all out hunting for food when they stumbled across three little fillies trotting along a path, unaware of their presence. Four timber wolves looked to their leader for a command. He gave a quiet growl. Quietly, three other timber wolves went around to the back of the fillies, preparing to ambush them and take some food for their empty bellies.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Are you sure this is the right way Applebloom?" Asked Sweetie Belle.

"Of course, Ah've been there tons o' times." Replied Applebloom "Now be careful, That there's poison joke, If you touch it, you're gonna... Actually, Ah don't know what'll happen." She said while motioning towards a patch of blue flowers twenty feet ahead of them.

"Then how something bad will happen?" Asked Scootaloo.

"Well, remember when Applejack-" Was all Applebloom could say before five timber wolves jumped out of the bushes around them. In situations like these, The three fillies could only react in the only way they knew how. They screamed.

"AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!"

At the sound of the scream, Ken snapped awake. He didn't realize that he had fallen asleep. 'What was that? A dream?'

"SOMEPONY! HELP!"

It wasn't a dream. Somebody was in danger. With a new found sense of urgency, Ken jumped to his feet and started running towards the sound of the voice. He drew both his daggers, spinning his left dagger so the blade lined his forearm.

The screaming was getting closer. He estimated that he was about one hundred feet away. 'Somepony? So they are ponies... and can speak. Along with the fact that some have horns and wings.' Ken thought while running.

Fifty feet left.

'What would they do if they saw me? I could be the only human here, or humans could be rare. Would they dissect me?' Ken shuddered at the thought.

Twenty feet left.

Ken could see what he was looking for. Three little fillies, surrounded by wolves. But these wolves weren't the same that he got injured from. These had some sort of armor. 'Or are they made of wood?' One of them put his hind legs back, getting ready to pounce on the unicorn, who was making the most high pitched scream out of them all. Aiming for its neck, the wolf leaped.

At the same time, Ken bursts from the bushes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other two crusaders could only watch frozen in fear as their friend was about to get eaten by a timber wolf. The wolf was in the air, aimed perfectly at Sweetie belle's throat. Her life flashed before her eyes. Becoming a cutie mark crusader, trying to find her teacher a special somepony, Her sister Rarity.

'Oh, what would Rarity think? Having to tell everypony about my death? The heartbreak she would go through?' Tears started welling up in her eyes as she thought of how badly everypony would scold Rarity because she wasn't watching over her. They would blame her for her baby sister's death.

As the jaws neared her neck, Sweetie Belle had tears flowing freely. She didn't want to die.

Just then, a creature she had never seen before had jumped from the bushes and crashed into the timber wolf. She had never seen anything remotely similar to it. Except for monkeys. That is what it resembled the most. It was HUGE. It stood on its hind legs, while in its forelegs, it held two knives.

The trio stood in awe as this new creature was defending them. But why? Why was it defending them? But most importantly: What was it?

The first wolf that jumped at Sweetie Belle regained its footing after being tackled away from its prey. And it was angry and leaped at the creature that took its kill.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ken kept a close eye on all the wolves surrounding him and the fillies he was protecting. From the corner of his eye, he saw the wolf the tackled away jump in his direction. Ken sidestepped and made a downward arc with his left arm, stabbing the wolf in the neck and killing it instantly.

He turned to face the other attackers. Two attacked at the same time. One running and one jumping. He slashed the running wolf across the face, but couldn't block the other. The wolf landed on top of Ken, swiping his paw across his face, leaving a very noticeable, deep scratch along with two less noticeable scratches. They both landed backwards. Ken falling on top of the orange filly with wings. He was worried that he had hurt her.

Ken kicked the wolf off and jumped to his feet, grabbing the daggers in the process. He barely got up fast enough to see the wolf already charging at him. This time, Ken was ready for the jumping wolf. The wolf was at head height in mid air. Ken thrust his dagger upward, stabbing it in the chest, dragging it downward to the end of its stomach.

Ken got back into a defensive stance, getting ready for the next attack.

A wolf that he previously cut started running at him, teeth bared. Ken jumped over the wolf, using its head as a step. While the wolf was dazed, Ken grabbed the wolf's tail and threw it at the other two. One successfully got out of the way, but the other wasn't as quick. Ken ran at both of them while they were still down and stabbed them both through the brain, killing them.

Just one left.

After seeing how he fought, the wolf decided not to rush into combat like his other brothers. It started circling him, looking for an opening. for the next few seconds, the two just walked. Finally, the wolf found his opening. Ken stumbled over an unseen rock. The wolf pounced and landed on Ken. He had no means of defending himself, both of his arms went to holding the wooden beast back. He didn't know what to do.

*CRACK*

The wolf was bucked off by the yellow filly wearing a bow. That was Ken's opening. Pushing himself to his feet, Ken ran at the wolf, leaped, and rammed the dagger through its eye.

Still panting, Ken walked over to the three fillies, who shook in fear when he walked up to them. Ken dropped to one knee to look less intimidating, and asked "Are you three alright?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Are you three alright?"

"Y-yeah, thanks for savin' us mister." Said Applebloom, still slightly in shock.

"Your leg, it's hurt." He said while looking at a cut Scootaloo had. It was pretty deep and was bleeding badly. "C'mon, my camp isn't that far away, we need to clean it so it doesn't get infected."

"Eh, I'll be fine, it's just a cut." replied Scootaloo.

"Are you sure? It looks pretty deep." Said Sweetie Belle worriedly.

"I said it's fine, let's just go ba- OOF!" Scootaloo tried walking back to the dirt trail, only to collapse of pain.

"My camp's just a few minutes away." Ken still offering to take care of her cut.

"I SAID I'M FINE!" Screamed the orange filly that was currently limping and falling every few seconds.

Groaning, Ken bent over and picked up the stubborn filly. Once he picked her up, she immediately tried to shove him away. "LET GO!" shouted Scootaloo.

Ignoring her screams of anger, Ken started walking towards his camp, motioning the other two to follow. "So what are your names?" He asked the two.

"Ah'm Applebloom. Nice ta meetya." She said with a grin.

"I'm Sweetie Belle, and that's Scootaloo" Her voice giving a slight crack. "What's your name." Applebloom asked.

"My name's Ken. What are you three doing out here? Shouldn't you be with your parents?" Ken asked. He really was curious, They couldn't have been older than eight years old.

"My parents are in Manehattan for the next three weeks, so I'm with my big sister Rarity. She's busy right now though." Said Sweetie Belle.

"Ah live with my brother, sister, and Granny Smith. We live on Sweet Apple Acres."

"Well what were you doing all the way out here?" Asked Ken.

"We were trying to get our cutie marks in potion making. We were heading to Zecora's house when those timber wolves attacked us." Answered Sweetie Belle

"Cutie marks?" So far, each answer created more questions.

"Yeah, they're the marks that appear on your flank when you find out your special talent." Said Applebloom.

"Okay, well what were yo- Oh, we're here." Ken said as he realized they were at his camp. He set Scootaloo down and went to retrieve the lemon.

"How can you trust him? We don't even know what he is!" Said Scootaloo in a hushed tone.

"He saved us from those timber wolves. We wouldn't even be talking now if it weren't for him." Sweetie Belle said in an equally hushed tone.

"Well I still don't trust him." Said Scootaloo.

By this time, Ken was back with the lemon to disinfect Scootaloo's cut.

"Alright Scootaloo, we gotta disinfect that cut. This might hurt a bit, so don't say I didn't warn you." Ken said using one of his daggers to cut the lemon in half.

Scootaloo audibly gulped.