• Published 6th Jan 2012
  • 2,282 Views, 38 Comments

Depression is Tragic - artistwithouttalent



A story of how one event can make all the difference. Inspired by the NGE fic "Nobody Dies&quot

  • ...
 38
 2,282

So What am I so Afraid of?

Rarity was taken aback, but not as much as Pinkie would have expected.

“Why aren’t you saying anything?” Pinkie said, slightly abashed. “Don’t you care?”

Rarity was quick to respond.

“I care, darling, I do; it’s just that I don’t really know how to react here. It is a shocking revelation, to be sure, but I barely know you.”

“Oh,” Pinkie said, sounding discouraged.

They sat for a few moments in awkward silence when Pinkie spoke up again.

“That’s why I’ve been keeping close to you,” she said in a small voice. “You’re the only other outsider that’s ever come to the farm.”

“Outsider?” Rarity replied.

“Someone from outside the farm,” Pinkie spoke up. “Ma and Pa keep to themselves mostly.”

“Well, how long have you been here?” Rarity asked.

“A long time,” Pinkie replied. “I barely remember anyone before Ma and Pa. When I asked about my real family, they told me about a train of bright-colored wagons that passed their farm once, and how I was sitting on the edge of the road after they passed.”

Rarity sat taking it in. This was a lot to digest, and somehow it all had more weight coming from someone she’d barely known. Pinkie must have interpreted her silence as indifference, because she became even more despondent.

“We should go in,” Pinkie said, her head hung low. “Ma and Pa will be expecting us for dinner.” She began plodding toward the farm house and Rarity followed, flustered.

“But Pinkie,” she said, “It’s barely afternoon.”

Pinkie let some of her indignation show. She turned around to Rarity and said, with her nose turned up and eyes closed, “Well, we eat dinner early here,” and stomped away in a huff.

“Pinkie,” Rarity called out, crestfallen, “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to upset you!”

Her words fell on deaf ears as Pinkie kept walking towards the house. Rarity ran to catch up.

“Pinkie, why does this upset you so much?”

Pinkie stopped and looked at her.

“I just figured,” she said, pausing for a moment, choking up, “that you would have, a little more sympathy for the pony who likes you.”

“Likes me?” Rarity thought, flabbergasted.”This pony I met not 2 days ago harbors feelings for me?”

“Yeah, I do,” Pinkie snapped, forcing Rarity back to reality.

“You heard my thoughts?!” Rarity cried, dumbfounded.

“I heard your inner monologue,” Pinkie pouted.

“OK, then I'll get to the point: Why do you have these feelings, darling? We've just met,” Rarity said, still curious as to how or why Pinkie could read minds.

“Rarity,” Pinkie said,tears welling up in her eyes, “you are the nicest pony I've ever met, including my family. You are the best I could ever hope for.”