• Published 16th Dec 2012
  • 2,647 Views, 107 Comments

Hope in the Storm: Part Two - PegasYs



I didn't expect that my life would be so full of adventure and fame. I wanted more than anything to keep it from falling apart.

  • ...
3
 107
 2,647

Chapter 1: Mask

Everypony has to put on a mask every once in a while.

There are times where we need to hide our feelings. You may get invited to a party right after a family pet dies, and you’re obligated to slap a stupid grin across your face and go and force yourself to have a good time. Maybe you and a lifelong friend just had a falling out, but work must go on, so you stand in your little kiosk, waving ponies down with your overenthusiastic smile to sample your wares. Everypony has become so good at hiding their feelings, it’s like we’re all living in a happy cartoon where nothing is wrong and everything is right.

I was in one of these situations.

It was dawn. The sun was just peaking over the hills in the east. The Ponyville weather team stood apprehensively in the center of town, watching the skies closely as merchants moved to and fro, setting up shop for the early risers to begin the day. My team stood in a lax formation, making light jokes and talking quietly while keeping lookout for our guests. A warm breeze blew past, causing every pony in the vicinity to positively shudder with apprehension: for the beautiful summer day that Celestia brought, and for life in general.

I was on the verge of losing my breakfast. I paced back and forth, looking from horizon to horizon. I tried to make a big show of looking stern and determined, but in truth, I was absolutely terrified. I hated these visits with all my being, not only for the early mornings, but because there were just some things that I wanted to forget.

I stopped, noticing the sudden silence from the crew of mare and stallion pegasi standing behind me. I turned their direction, and caught several of them snickering.

“What the hay are you all staring at? Don’t you have some… weather to monitor or something?” I said, putting on a mean face.

“Well, Chief, it would seem like you’re doing a pretty good job of that on your own,” Cloudkicker said. “What’s the deal, Rainbow? You always get this way whenever the Storm Scouts come to visit. Normally I wouldn’t even see you lift a hoof unless you absolutely have to. To find you pacing is almost a freak of nature.”

“It’s nothing. Just, keep talking about the latest gossip, or whatever you guys do whenever I’m not around. I hear Lyra’s got a new marefriend. Discuss.” I turned away as the loud chattering commenced in earnest, a sound that was not unlike the squabbling of a gang of turkeys. I continued my pacing, looking up at the sky as my fear began to spike with each step of my hooves. I rustled my wings impatiently.

Why weren’t they here already? I just want to get this over with so I can go lay back down in my bed and sleep.

A shadow was suddenly cast over us. I turned to look at the sun, using my hoof to shield my eyes from the bright morning light. Six black dots flew towards us, becoming progressively bigger with each flap of their mighty wings.

I gulped as I felt the butterflies in my stomach take a daring leap of faith through my innards. All the blood rushed out of my brain as a wave of nervous energy took hold of my limbs. I stood completely still as my team filed in behind me.

With a large sweep, the six ponies landed directly in front of me, mirroring the position of the six of us.

The Storm Scouts were clad in sleek black armor, standing still as stone. Their entire torsos were covered in very expensive looking metal barding, with holes for their limbs and head. The wings were coated in an equally dark and lustrous metal, glowing softly with a light blue magic. It was impossible to see their eyes through the visors they wore; They were black as the night, reflecting the morning sun off their surface.

The one in front stepped forward, and pulled off his visor. His mane, almost as dark as the armor he wore, fell messily over his head. A smug smile spread across his crimson furred face, but just as soon as it came, the stallion quickly returned to his serious demeanor.

I made a big show of yawning loudly, trying my best to look uninterested. “Nice duds. I really dig the shades.”

The dark grey stallion to the lead’s right handed him a roll of parchment. He clears his throat before beginning to speak. “On behalf of the Storm Scouts, and the head of weather in Canterlot, I, Wayward Scout, request a report on the climate conditions in sector fourteen of quadrant four of—“

“Save your breath, ‘Scout.’ The weather here is fine; there hasn’t been a cloud in the sky in two weeks, and we even took the liberty of bringing a nice little breeze from the north. You know ponies like a little breeze now and again,” I said confidently, walking up to him and giving him a huge mocking smile.

He didn’t take his gaze off me, looking entirely less than amused. He made a quick move to the parchment and jotted down some quick notes. When he was done, he returned his hard glare on me.

“So, you didn’t stick to the schedule. Miss Dash, were you even aware of the fact that this sector was supposed to have a slight rain shower three days ago? What about the cloudy skies that were supposed to be present yesterday? And as I recall, you are not supposed to change wind speed or direction without express written consent from headquarters.” His bemused face turned to look at the team standing behind me. I paced back and forth, looking at each of my elite weather team members.

“Listen, ‘Scout,’ Ponyville is in very capable hooves. Each and every one of my mares was hoof-picked specifically for their ability to take care of business and do what I say,” I say just as Blossomforth rolls her eyes. Cloudkicker saw it out of the corner of her eye and quickly hit her over the head with her hoof. “We don’t need any rain; the Ponyville reserves are full, and who is it really hurting if we took a little extra sun and some nice little breeze?”

“I’ll be reporting your blatant disregard for scheduling.” Scout rolled up the parchment and handed it back over to the pegasus on the right. “Now that that embarrassing display is over, I have some important news.”

The stallion, which I was quite sure was Scout’s personal henchmen, handed me a small square pamphlet, and the weather scheduling for the next month. I eyed it over, not entirely interested.

Scout looked to his team and mine. “I would like a moment to talk with the headmare in confidence.”

They all walked away silently, heading to the sides.

“All of the headmares are required to come to an informative meeting this Saturday in Canterlot to discuss the planning for the Storm of the Century. In one week, we will begin training for the grueling maintenance and strategy required to get it going and to keep the downpour running. I expect to see you and your team there for training. Failure to show up to the planning session will result in automatic termination from your position; failure of your team to show up to the training will result in each and every one of your positions being replaced,” the red stallion spoke monotonously, making me more sleepy than I already was.

“Yeah yeah yeah, no problem. Really, Aero, you need to give up this whole act. You’re not fooling anypony, and… you sound like a robot.”

“Formality can go a long way, Miss Dash.”

“Well, yeah, but I mean, you take it to a completely new level. Do you even have any feelings, or did they stomp them all out of you during your ‘training?’”

“Your insubordination is not one of your most flattering qualities, Miss Dash.”

“I remember you used to be a lot more fun, but I guess three years of taking orders from a cynic can do that to you.”

For the first time in three years, Aero gave me a real look of anger, a real display of emotion.

“Rainbow, I remember a time when you had a drive! You used to have all these big dreams, now you’re just a lazy good for nothing that can’t even do what you’re told.” The rest of the conjoined weather teams came over at the sound of Aero’s shouting. They watched the spectacle with concern on their faces.

I brushed off his comment. I was becoming angry at his sudden outburst. “Wow, look at this! The ‘Wayward Scout’ is a living breathing pony! I honestly thought you were replaced by an android all that time ago.”

“I might as well have been!” he yelled, and then turned away, growling in frustration. He sighed and turned around once more, his composure completely regained.

“I will see you this Saturday, Miss Dash. Valiantwing will be in charge of the planning session.” I gulped. “As for the rest of you, I plan to see you all next week for training. Miss Dash will inform you on the details.”

He turned to me and flipped his visor back over his eyes. “You better clean up your act, for your team’s sake, and for your own.”

With that, he motioned for his team to take leave. They formed into a staggered V, and the blue magic enveloped their wing armor once more. They levitated straight into the air in complete unison, turning as one to face the west. They sped off, leaving us standing to watch them go.

“Dayum! Where can I get me some of those!” Blossomforth cooed.

I was completely flustered from the news I had just heard. My wings felt glued to my sides from nerves. I hadn’t considered the fact that Valiantwing would be running the whole thing, a really stupid oversight on my part.

Cloudkicker walked over to me. I was now very positive that I was going to lose my breakfast, but I was trying not to let it show.

“Hey, Rainbow, you doin’ okay? You don’t look so good.” Well, that was working out well.

“I-I’m… fine. Is there anything important scheduled for the weather today?”


“Well, I don’t know that. You usually take the schedule and hide it somewhere in your office and it’s never seen again.”

My mouth suddenly felt really dry. “Well, go… kick some clouds or something then. I need to go home and lie down for a while.”

“Alright. We’ll do that,” she looked at me strangely, then walked towards the rest of the team, who in turn flew off to go do their duty.


I flew home as quickly as I could. Stepping through the threshold of my cloud home, I sighed with inward fear and nerves. I was getting so good at acting nonchalant at these things, I even started believing in my overconfidence myself, but still felt shaken to the core whenever they were over. I walked through the corridor of my cloud home, setting my destination for my bedroom, hoping I could just shut off my brain for a moment.

The quiet in an empty house never bodes well for the distressed mind. A dizzy wave of nausea filled up the pit in my stomach as I stepped hoof into my dark bedroom, forcing me head into the wall as I threatened to collapse. Questions were met without answers, only more confusion and nausea.

Things that seemed to make so much sense to me for so long were suddenly contradicting each other. Why did I, when I had such a great life and great friends, insist on holding onto the one thing that still filled me with dread? In reality, I had no reason to keep up this job, so why did I? The weather team are some of my better friends, but I didn’t have to stay. I suppose that I originally kept the job so I could prove that I was responsible, as a sort of "buck everypony" who thought otherwise. But it got in the way of practice…

Had I really forgotten what my dreams truly were? It seemed like nowadays I would just go through the motions. Wake up, eat, work, hang with my friends— on rarer and rarer occasions— and sleep. What seemed like a brilliant plan to prove my independence ended up backfiring. I was becoming what he wanted me to be from the very beginning: a hard working mare with a realistic job and a sustainable lifestyle.

I hated that thought. Absolutely. Hated it.

Hot tears found their way down my cheeks as I hit my head against the cloud in frustration. Years and years of never reaching my goals had left me feeling defeated; I couldn’t even remember the last time I practiced for the Wonderbolts. My father was right, it was an unrealistic dream, and I had just spent the last three years proving him right. There was no way I would ever be able to face him again, knowing full well that he has heard of my progress monthly, hearing about my slow assimilation into the blue saddle working world. I wouldn’t have to worry about that, had it not been for some news I had heard no more than a few hours ago.

He was going to be in charge of the planning session.

I trudged toward my bed, lying down on the soft mattress with a heavy thud, face-first into my pillow. I couldn’t contain the tears from flowing as I thought about how my life so far had seemed so pointless in retrospect. Sure, I had the greatest friends in the world, but what good are the best friends if you kept from them your greatest fears and secrets? None of them knew anything about this: why I worked in weather, where it was exactly that I came from; they all just assumed I came from Cloudsdale, and none of them questioned me any further. What would I say if they asked? The only one who knew anything was Fluttershy, but she was too sympathetic to badger me about it, or to seek help. My friends were supportive of my goals from the very beginning, but they said nothing when I let them go.

I was suddenly angry at all of them. Twilight has become known as one of the best unicorn magicians in all of Equestria. Fluttershy has a successful pet service job. Rarity is damn near famous for her dress making. Pinkie Pie and Applejack now have their own shop on the corner of town, and it seems like everypony in town goes there every single day. I was mad for unjust reasons; I had a goal, we all did, but I was the only one who let it go. I felt ashamed at myself, angry for my mistakes, confused beyond belief, and above all else, angry at my friends. It only made me feel worse.

Why did I stay? I could have made the Wonderbolts, my friends all believed in me, but somewhere along the way, I stopped believing in me, and I don’t even remember when or how. I felt lousy.

The meeting with Aero—or “The Scout,” as he likes to be called now—changed everything about my perspective. When did he suddenly decide to snap? For the first time since I can remember, I saw real emotion in him. It terrified me. He was angry, but I saw heartbreak showing in his eyes. I never wanted to hurt him, but he hurt me, whether he knew it or not. He’s living the dream as well, and that made me madder than anything else. The one who cared the most, who did the most, was lost to me for years. He was the only one who truly believed in me as a filly. I missed him, at least the way he used to be. He gave up on me years ago, and I saw that as a good riddance. I hated him for what he became, and for sticking with my father when I knew what was right for me.

I pulled the covers over my head, letting the darkness envelope me as the tears continued. I didn’t want to go to the meeting; I couldn’t ever look Valiantwing in the eye ever again. He was right. I whimpered and shook, hoping for the storm in my head to cease. For the first time in years, I cried.

For the first time in years, I thought about my mother.