• Published 5th Nov 2012
  • 9,235 Views, 449 Comments

Project Ascension - TheMyth



Scootaloo has a big problem, and it's not what you'd expect.

  • ...
22
 449
 9,235

Chapter 11

Twilight Sparkle was terrified beyond belief. Her son, Spike, was now in the clutches of that rotten mare and her sick superior. She sat on her haunches as she looked down on the floor, where a small pond of tears was forming as it was being released from her eyes like a waterfall of cascading running water. Cadance, at the request of her husband, held onto Twilight and stroked her mane, trying to calm the poor mare down. The guards, who informed Twilight of what had occurred, looked at her with sorrow and pity in their eyes.

Shining, who had been healed thanks to the medics of the infirmary, approached his sister and placed a hoof under her chin, raising it up to meet her eyes. Her eyes were bloodshot, thanks to the excess of crying she had done. Shining remembering only a few occasions in life where she was broken like this. He bit his lower lip as he cursed himself, recalling that one of those moments was his fault, making her cry on his wedding day by siding with an imposter. He blinked slowly and brought his foreleg over her neck, holding her in place as she sobbed into his shoulder.

“Twily, we’ll get him back. I promise we’ll get Spike back,” he chanted to her multiple times, hoping against all hope that it was working, if only for a second.

Cadance decided to join in the hug and used her magic to speed up Twilight’s healing, hoping with the pain eradicated she would feel a little better. “Twilight, Shining and his guards will get Spike back. We’re also gonna get Scootaloo and Rainbow back. I promise you!” she exclaimed softly as she nuzzled her little sister-in-law affectionately. She had always loved Twilight like a little sister since her days as her foalsitter, and she could not bear seeing her in this state.

Twilight sniffed as she gave a nod in her brother’s shoulder, with Shining patting her head softly and looking down sadly at his little sister. Just as he let go of her, the doors of the infirmary burst open, with Twilight’s friends running in to comfort their friend. Even though Pinkie’s mane was still fluffy, there was no smile on her face as she held her friend close to her in a tight hug, with the others quickly joining in.

“Oh my gosh, Twilight! Those meanies took Spike with them! Oooh! If I was there, I’d have assaulted that Yellow with my cannon so much that-”

Applejack placed a hoof over her mouth, achieving immediate silence in the room. “We get the idea, Pinkie,” she said solemnly, with her eyes looking down at their distressed friend.

As more and more comforting words entered her ears, Twilight’s crying started to cease, and the blur in her eyes was beginning to clear up too. She gazed at the puddle of tears underneath her, she could see a helpless Spike being dragged away by a laughing Yellow. She blinked rapidly and clenched her teeth as she began to scowl.

“They’ll pay for this...” she whispered softly, as she gently pushed her friends away and got onto her hooves. A newfound source of energy was at her disposal as she raised her head slowly, with fire in her eyes and rage etched onto her face.

“Twilight, don’t worry,” Shining said, “we’ll get him back...”

I’ll get him back,” Twilight said angrily. “Scootaloo and Rainbow too. They’re going to pay.”

“Twilight,” Cadance said quickly, “You really should stay here and rest...”

“No!” she exploded, with her mane and tail bursting out in flames. Everypony flinched and took a step back as they saw the most powerful unicorn in Equestria enraged. The fire on her body quickly calmed, but the fire in her eyes did not. “I’ll get them, and I’ll make sure nothing happens to my son!” she said as she made her way to the door. Before she could open it, though, she felt a firm hoof on her shoulder which belonged to Applejack. She turned to see her friend looking at her with green eyes that displayed concern.

“Twilight, Ah understand ya need to find yer boy. But slow yer hooves fer a minute, and think this through. Ya don’t have to do it alone. We’re here fer ya, Twilight.” she said as she gently pulled Twilight away from the door and held her in a secured hug. Applejack could understand what Twilight had to be feeling at that moment, as she was thinking of what she would have done if somepony had foal-napped Apple Bloom and did horrible things to her. She thought that Twilight felt even worse than she could feel, because Spike was Twilight’s son. She frowned slightly when she let go of Twilight, as a thought crossed her mind.

“Why the hay did they even want Spike, anyway?” Applejack wondered out loud. “They almost got ‘em back at the other lab, too.”

Faced with this question, Twilight’s natural inquisitive nature began to override her terror and anger, but not completely. “I’ve been wondering that as well. They took scales from him for their projects instead of anything from me. Yellow sounded like she was about to tell us something before Blue busted in.”

“And didn’t those two call him a doll back at the lab?” Pinkie said. “What’s that about?”

“I don’t know,” Twilight admitted. “But I think it’s time I sat down and had a talk with Celestia...” she said calmly as she exited through the door, with her friends, brother and foalsitter following suit.


Rainbow Dash walked cautiously through the seemingly endless darkened corridor, barely being able to see her new companions in the dim candlelight. Every single hoof step echoed through the halls of the place, sending chills down their spines. The further they treated, the more she started to feel like she was being watched... like she was walking straight into a trap, which was an understandable feeling. Little Light clenched himself on his older brother’s leg as they traveled on into the pitch-black beyond. Rainbow could see the sheer fear in his eyes, even though he tried to hide it. The corridors looked as if they hadn’t been inhabitat in years; webs hung from the ceiling and the walls of the place had turned to a dull shade of grey. No windows. That was the first thing she noticed. Not a single one.. it made her feel so trapped even though she could still vaguely hear the rain assaulting the ancient cobblestone walls of the laboratory.

“You know, since you were already caged, there was little point in me letting you out,” Blaze noted. “You can relax.” Blaze whispered, his murmurs echoing off into the dark.

“I’m not letting my guard down,” the mare snapped. “Not until we’re all back at the palace.”

Light shifted. “Is Blaze gonna get in trouble?” he asked. “He’s not a bad pony...”

“Kid...” Rainbow Dash said tensely, before she caught herself. “...I don’t know. But Princess Celestia is a kind ruler. She’ll probably let your brother off lightly if he keeps helping me.”

“I have no intention of fighting Celestia as long as Light is safe,” the stallion said bluntly. “Celestia can lock me up and throw away the key for all I care.”

“But they won’t, will they?” Light asked, panicked at the thought of losing his brother. Blaze just placed a hoof down on his little brother’s head and ruffled up his hair. When the hoof was removed, Light looked up at his brother’s face and saw a genuine smile.

“I’ll be fine, Light,” he said softly to him as he leaned his head down to eye level with his brother. “You can always trust me, got it memorized?” he said as he smiled, with Light nodding his head but without a smile.

Blaze felt a tap on his shoulder and looked up to see Rainbow Dash looking sternly down at him,

“What?” he asked bluntly, with her pointing to a cell door.

“Would you do the honours?” she asked as she stood at one side to give him room to move.

Blaze walked up to the door, reaching for the key and pushing it in the lock. He turned the key and the cell door unlocked. With a quick glance to either side to ensure he wasn’t being watched, he opened the door. When the cell door was open, Rainbow flew in quickly and scooped up Scootaloo in a bone-crushing hug and nuzzling her.

Scootaloo was confused at first, but when she realized that her attacker was actually Rainbow holding her, she returned the hug with as much strength as she could muster. She looked up at Rainbow, who looked back at her with caring eyes and stroked her head gently. “Are you ok?” she asked Scootaloo, who nodded to give her answer. She then looked behind Rainbow to see Blaze and a new colt at his side.

Blaze walked up to Scootaloo and began the process of unlocking her from her shackles, “Blaze? What’s going on?” she asked as she looked to Rainbow and back at Blaze, who simply waved a hoof at her as he grinned.

Blaze just snorted as he undid the final lock on Scootaloo. “It’s a very long story, Scootaloo, one I’m sure you’ll tell all your friends when you’re out of here,” he remarked as he saw the Scootaloo’s eyes shine with a glimmer of hope in them.

“Does that mean...?”

Rainbow nodded. Scootaloo smiled widely at this. She felt the shackles fall from her legs and noticed the bruising forming. “Don’t worry, Scoots, we’ll have that looked at when we’re back at the palace,” Rainbow answered her, as she saw the Scootaloo wincing slightly as she rubbed her hooves against her legs to get rid of the itch that came from wearing them. She then felt an itch forming at the base of the wounds, and instinctively raised a hoof to scratch them.

“I don’t think you should try and scratch that,” Light told Scootaloo, who looked back at him curiously from the distance.

“Who are you?” the filly asked.

Blaze cut his little brother off before he could answer. “We can save the introductions for when we get out of here. Black and Bloodwing probably already know we’re gone. Let’s get moving.”

Rainbow Dash nodded. “Good idea,” she said, lowering herself. “Come on, kiddo, on my back.”

Scootaloo did as she was told, finding a comfortable spot on the mare’s back. Light did the same to Blaze, knowing what was going to happen.

“Let’s go,” Blaze said, and with that the two older pegasi lifted themselves in the air and flew off. The pair navigated the hallways with precision, going as fast as they could without making it difficult for their passenger to keep a hold on.

Finally, they found the exit. As soon as they were outside, the flew into the sky, heading towards the palace.

Meanwhile, running in the streets below to avoid detection, Yellow returned to the base carrying an unconscious Spike.


Celestia was not having the best of days.

It was bad enough that a wanted criminal had broken into the palace and had freed another criminal (all on the watch of the Captain of the guard, no less) and then kidnapped the son of her favoured student. But now, of all times, Twilight had burst into her chambers, demanding to know something that Celestia had hoped she would not ask for another few years.

The truth about her son.

She sighed heavily at the seven expectant faces staring at her, awaiting an answer.

“I’m afraid Yellow wasn’t lying, my most faithful student,” she said sadly. “I have been keeping something from you; but it’s been to protect you, not harm you.”

Twilight cocked her head, confused. “Protect me? From what?”

“From yourself,” the alicorn said simply. “And from those who would exploit you.”

“I... I don’t understand.”

Celestia was silent for a moment. “Do you know what was different about your test, as opposed to the others I have given?”

“Yes, you used a real egg instead of a fake one.”

Celestia shook her head in grimace, ”No Twilight... the truth is that there was no difference.”

A stunned silence hung in the air.

“W... what?”

“Twilight... that egg wasn’t real. It was a doll egg, just like everypony gets when they perform the test.” Celestia answered her student, who was stunned by this fact and every other pony in the room was confused at this also.

“Ah don’t understand...” Applejack said as she shook her head slightly, “That don’t make any sense at all.”

Celestia stood up and walked up to her student, standing before her with Twilight looking up at the princess. “Haven’t you noticed how Spike is different from other dragons? How he lacked wings and had such an unusual scale color? How he seemed to take living among ponies so well? How he never seemed to have any of a dragon’s documented natural instincts?”

Twilight was silent. She had indeed wondered all those things.

“You didn’t hatch Spike; you gave life to him. He didn’t start life as an egg; he started it as stitches, fabric, and fluff. But on that day, your great burst of magic gave you what you wanted most at that very moment, and pulled life where there was none before. It was then that I realized the truth,” she paused for a moment, closing her eyes and letting out her breath slowly. “You were born with a magic so powerful that only one in a million unicorns have. Starswirl the Bearded also had such a strong magic, just like you, Twilight, and other ponies before him. Before my sister and I took the roles of raising the sun and moon, unicorns had this duty, as I am sure you remember,” she said as she was recalling to the Hearth’s Warming Eve tale. “When I saw your magic becoming unstable, performing spells that even adult ponies have difficulty performing, I took it upon myself to teach you how to control your powers that rested in you. What shocked me even more was the fact that instead of receiving a doll for graduating, a live baby dragon was there. A pure, innocent baby dragon that was brought into this world by you, my most faithful student,” she said as she nuzzled her student affectionately, seeing the stress in her student’s eyes.

Twilight’s lips quivered at the touch of Celestia’s head brushing up against hers, “But... but that means Spike’s-”

“So that means Spike really is Twilight’s son?”

Everypony’s head turned to Pinkie, as she smiled slightly at the news she had just heard from the princess. “‘Cause if that story is true, that means that Twilight really did give birth to Spike. But that also means that Twilight is the youngest mommy ever!” she remarked to herself out loud, but noticed the others looking at her blankly. “What? I’m just saying that Spike is really Twilight’s boy.”

Rarity just shook her head, “I think it’s a little bit more complicated than that, Pinkie,” she said, still trying to digest this information from the princess.

“Princess, I think you know it was impossible for Twilight to just will a doll to life, and you should tell us the truth, please,” Shining told the princess, but he was met with a slight cold look from Twilight. Realizing his wording, he looked away in shame. “I’m sorry.”

“Magic is a peculiar thing,” Celestia noted. “It’s connected through the heart of every living being. The heart is formed through the nurturing of feelings, feelings such as friendship and love. That’s what allowed Spike to be born. A part of Twilight’s heart and soul resides in him. Magic gave him shape and breath, and out he came. He looked like a dragon, but had the heart of a pony. Some may say he is merely a construct of magic, but the moment I laid my eyes on him, I saw the genuine signs of life flowing in him. He is as real as you are, Twilight.”

Twilight started blinking uncontrollable, processing this revelation that was given to her by her teacher, “So... me adopting him... it was unnecessary?” Twilight uttered, her body was shaking slightly at the implications.

Celestia shook her head as she draped a wing comfortingly over Twilight, “I never submitted those papers, Twilight. You’ve been on record as Spike’s mother from the day he was born. Didn’t you find it odd that I let you raise a child at such a young age?”

“You told me it was to teach me responsibility...” Twilight said, her voice trailing off as she looked up at Celestia’s face, whose face softened as a small smile formed with her eyelids half-closed.

“And it was. However, it was also because he was your flesh and blood, your responsibility,” she said as she let go of her student.

Twilight just stood there in silence at all of this new information. She then looked up to Celestia with determination brimming in her eyes. “If you’ll excuse me, Princess. I need to get my son back from those sick ponies,” she said firmly. Celestia smiled gently at her as she nodded her head.

“Shining,” she called to him as he approached her slowly, “Go with Twilight to find Spike,” she ordered, to which Shining Armor responded with a sharp salute.

“I will, Your Majesty,” he said to her. “But Princess, what about Rainbow and Scootaloo?” he asked.

His answer was merely a small smile, which confused the ponies present until Celestia glanced over at the balcony, “I believe that problem solved itself,” she said plainly, as two ponies came flying fast into the throne room. Both ponies landed roughly at the opposite side of the room, each of them carrying a foal on their back.

“Rainbow!”

As soon as she heard her name, she turned to the others, who came running to greet their friend. Just before they could grab her in a group hug, she raised her hoof to stop them and pointed to Scootaloo on her back.

“Don’t wanna hurt her now, do we?”

The ponies in the room stayed silent as they saw Scootaloo, with a horn on her head and slightly bigger wings. Fluttershy immediately flew to her and checked on her legs as she held her gently in place. “Oh dear! We need to get this bandaged up,” she said, continuing to check Scootaloo for more injuries.

The other ponies came to her and huddled over her as they barraged her with questions.

“Y’all alright there, sugarcube? We were so worried!”

“What did those ruffians do to you, you poor thing!?”

“Did those meanies hurt you bad? Wait until they they taste my cannon!”

Twilight, however, was staring at the other pony that came with Rainbow with narrowed eyes.

Blaze was standing there, with his brother on his back, in a room he thought he would never see in his life. The feeling of awe was soon turned to outright awkwardness when Twilight looked at him with contempt in her eyes.

“Um,” he began, gently setting his brother down next to him. “Hi!” he said, waving a hoof at her.

“You!” Twilight spat as she realized who he was.

Everypony’s attention turned to Blaze, who was trying to remain calm in this definitely unfriendly situation. He knew he was going to pay for his actions, helping with the kidnapping and experimentation on a filly they cared about. He just sighed as he realized he was in trouble no matter what he said or did now, so he decided to at least have one more bit of fun.

“Miss me?” he asked casually.

Blaze was very fortunate that Celestia was more powerful than Twilight, because the lavender unicorn leapt at him with pure rage in her eyes. Luckily, her mentor held her in midair with her magic, leaving the unicorn thrashing in the air with rage.

“You took Spike!” she shouted out to Blaze, “You took my son you little...”

Blaze looked at her in confusion, “Who? The do-” he began, but Rainbow shot him a quick glare that quickly caused him to rethink his words. “Um, the dragon?” he corrected himself, not wanting to have another fight with this unicorn again.

“Where is he!?” Twilight demanded, still suspended in the air but still flailing angrily.

Blaze shook his head vigorously. “I don’t know... I’d assume back at Bloodwing’s lab. As soon as we got Scootaloo, we left.” he said.

Celestia dropped her magic and released Twilight, and she began to march up to him. Light stood in front of her, but this did not stop her one bit.

At that point, Scootaloo decided to stand in front of Blaze and intervene. “Please, Twilight, he helped us escape...”

This seemed to mollify the unicorn a bit, though she still looked ready and willing to harm him at the first opportunity. “Well... why would Bloodwing want Spike?”

Blaze shifted. “Well, I don’t know if the princess told you, but he...”

“Was created by me, I know,” Twilight snapped.

“Oh. Well, he’s made up of your magic... and you're the most powerful unicorn alive today... that could be useful if he could...”

Twilight froze. Her eyes went wide as she came to the obvious conclusion. “If he could break... him... down...”


Spike groaned as his eyes opened. All he saw was a blurry face that slowly came into focus, one with a malicious smile. He gasped and tried backing away from the foul presence, but he couldn’t budge one bit. He started breathing frantically in panic, his eyes desperately scanning the room. He noticed Yellow behind Bloodwing, who was wearing a triumphant grin as her eyes looked down on the frail form of Spike before her.

“Well, well,” Bloodwing grinned as he stood up and went to Yellow, patting her on her head as though she was a dog who did her master proud. “It’s a shame we lost Subject Ten to the senile goats, but it looks like I just got myself a brand new doll to tinker with!~” he cooed to Yellow. Suddenly, he sharply turned his head to Spike, looking down on him with crazed eyes for a moment before looking up and twisting his head, as though pointing it to another room.

Spike then felt his body being lifted up by magic, and looked behind him to see that Black was carrying him. He starting flailing in the air, trying to free himself from the criminal’s hold on him. “Let me go, you! I have my rights, you-” Suddenly, Spike felt immense pain as Black dropped him to the floor and drove his hoof into the top of his scaly head. Spike let out cry of agony from the pain, and he could feel the blood seeping through his injury. He felt himself lifted again, his vision now blurred from the tears he was shedding.

“Dolls have no rights,” Black told him with a deadpan expression as he followed Bloodwing and Yellow into the next room, with Spike right behind him in a cloud of magic.

Spike lips quivered as he shed more tears from the attack on his head. He closed his eyes and clenched his teeth, dreading what they had in store for him.

Mom... help me.

Author's Note:

Re-Edited by Vozzlefox, my teacher... check out his story Lately guys :D