• Published 5th Jan 2012
  • 2,570 Views, 49 Comments

Friendship is Survival - rlogic1994



A tale of a pony who learns that Friendship is a necessity in any environment.

  • ...
1
 49
 2,570

Ch 10: The Relinquishment

Friendship is Magic Ch 10: The Relinquishment
By Rlogic1994

I am ready to die. I am ready to let go. I am ready to prove myself for those I love!” thought Frigid, as her fellow team mates made their way closer and closer to the center of the front, each wave of griffins growing in number.

“We can’t keep going! They’re gonna rip us apart! I know I’m not one to turn down a fight, but I don’t think this is one we’re going to win.”

“RD’s right we’re gunna die ‘fore we git close enough to git some help.”

“Alright we’ll just hold this position and keep listening to the radio. If we catch a hold of any outfits near us…we break for it!”

They dropped the radio onto the ground and clicked on the transmitter/receiver button as it crackled to life, garbled tinny voices slowly becoming discernible. They formed a circle, all 8 of the surviving ponies looking out towards the forests around them, ready to spill blood. The first griffin came from the right and a unicorn recruit was quick to send shards of magic sailing towards it, slicing into its chest. Before it even hit the ground more burst from the green tree wall before them.

“Here we go, guys. Make every shot count!”

As griffin after griffin fell to the group, the radio still shouting loudly, Frigid made her way to the commanding tactics tent. The staff sergeant was a little surprised to see her.

“So you’re really gonna go through with this, huh kid? Like I said, you got guts. Now we have grenade launchers being set up for the flash bombs and we found about a hundred crates. It’s gonna light up the sky like the Summer Sun Celebration fireworks show. But can you see through it?”

“Just get me some darkened flight goggles and I’ll be fine. Oh and one more thing. Can you-can you clip on a radio to this? I don’t know I-I feel like I wanna say something before I die.”

“Sure,” she said, dragging a portable radio with her mouth and tying it to the harness, clicking the transmitter/receiver switch.

“We good?”

“Yeah I’ll tell you on the radio when we’re ready. If you can get up to the top of the cliff in the north part of the compound so that It’ll be easier to get in the air.”

“Ok then.”

She started to leave, but before she could, a pony near the entrance stopped her.

“Thank you.”

Their eyes met and Frigid nodded, pushing past her and starting her final journey to the top of the hill. It was a long trek and it would take some time. “Thank you. That’s what I should be saying. Thank you to all the ponies who trusted me and believed in me. Thanks mom. Thanks d-Thanks dad.

As Frigid lost herself in her recollections of her life, her teammates were fending for their lives.

“5 o’clock! 4 heavies!”

4 bolts of blinding purple energy shot the 4 approaching griffins. The group were still alive, but slowly being exhausted.

“We can’t handle much more of this! We’re gonna have to retreat soon!”

“Wait! The radio is saying something.”

The radio crackled out a static riddled message and the second time it was announced it came out loud and clear.

“The Alpha Bomb will be dropped. All units within earshot of this message retreat behind the fallback line of mortars set up on our side of the front. I repeat-”

The radio’s clarity ceased once more, throwing the transmissions into crackly nonsense. Everypony stood still for a moment in the rare break between the waves of griffins.

“Twi? Isn’t the Alpha Bomb-”

“One of the most powerful incendiary devices ever created by pony kind? Yes. They must be real desperate if they have to drop the A-Bomb. And the Princess did give the front’s head officers authorization to use it as a last resort.”

“Well what the hell are we waiting for!? Let’s get the buck outta here!”

Applejack and Twilight nodded and led the group into a retreat, taking the radio with them, its gurgling messages still sounding out. They moved as quick as possible, but in the back of her mind Twilight knew they weren’t going to make it.

“I just wonder whose sorry flank they got to do the job!”

Back at the base, Frigid had made her way steadily up the hill and was near the cliff top. She finally reached it and with a sigh sat down on the soft grass waiting for her orders.

“This is it. At least I get to go out with a bang,” she whispered, chuckling lightly at her own joke. She didn’t notice before how pretty the area was, the lush green contrasting with the cold black and white of the mountain. It really was quite a beauty except for the war torn bald burnt areas of forest strewn with bodies of both ponies and griffins alike.

Is this what I’m fighting for? More killing? I’m sure they have families waiting at home for them too. Is what I’m doing just?
She looked down to the soldiers and wounded in the camp.

Well this is war. Both sides are just. We just have to hope that we’re doing the right thing for the right reasons. Everypony has to do what they must in the end when the time comes. And what we have to do isn’t always nice.

She thought more about war absentmindedly and didn’t notice her radio go off.

“Frigid! Damnit listen up!”

“Huh? Oh! Yes, ma’am I’m here.”

“Finally! We got our little party poppers set up so when the first flare goes up you have to take off as fast as possible. Good Luck.”

Frigid got to her hooves and looked out over the landscape one more time and took a deep breath, waiting. The whistle of the flare made her eyes shoot open, the red smoke tail of the projectile arching across the sky. She trotted back a little and ran forward with force, lifting herself and the bomb with one forceful flap of her wings. The strength potion that they had given her last minute was helping a little, but not much. Flying to your own death can drain you of energy. Now she slowed and waited for the barrage of flash bombs to start, sliding her darkened goggles over her cold blue eyes.

No matter how fast they ran Twilight knew they weren’t going to make it. The A-Bomb was devastating. Maybe the base would survive because of protective enchantments. But this valley was about to be flattened.
“Guys wait! We have to stop!”

“What?! Are ya crazy, Sugarcube?!”

“We’re not gonna make it even if we try! I have another idea.”

They stopped and everypony looked to Twilight.

“I learned a spell a while ago for multiple object teleportation. I can normally do two or three ponies, but this spell allows me to do up to ten. But there is a risk. If the spell breaks or is interrupted or distracted at all, we could end up miles off target. And that may not only be horizontally. We could end up high in the air or deep in the earth.”

“Well buck that! It’s worth a try!”

“Okay then hold on while I pre-”

The radio kicked to life again.

“This is Frigid Drift…”

They all froze.

High up in the sky, Frigid was soaring towards the center of the front. She slowed for a moment and clicked her radio, broadcasting to every radio of the army within range.

“This is Frigid Drift…Special Operatives recruit and soldier for Equestria. In moments I will drop this bomb on the enemy, likely ending the lives of thousands. But before I go I wish to say a few things. First of all to my friends. I thank you for being there for me and helping me through hard times. Thank you for your trust and guidance. Thank you. And to my special friend Scootaloo I say this in hopes that you can hear me. I had never had a friend who stuck with me and comforted me like you did through our rough times together. I can’t thank you enough. I realize now how lucky I am to have friends like you. I’m even lucky to have a father and mother who care for me, although sometimes they aren’t very good at showing it. Again thank you.”

She held her breath choosing her next words to the rest of the soldiers.

“And now to the rest of the soldiers who don’t know me well I speak to you. You mares and stallions are role models for everypony in Equestria. You put your lives on the line for those you love and you do it willingly, even though you may think that you came only because you must. Every one of you deserves more than what you’ll get. I only hope that everypony here is loved after this is over, that they can be loved and love others. Because only after all the hell I’ve been through I realize that –that—that it is only by the bonds we make and the friends we keep that our true selves become known to us and we become more than just ponies fighting for our country. We become something more than just soldiers. We become protectors of all that we love and all that we keep close to our heart and all that should never be taken away. We become more. Thank you to everypony listening. Remember that only you can figure out what you are protecting, what love you are shielding. Goodbye, everypony. Frigid out. “

Tears streamed down one of the unicorn recruit’s face, as she heard the last words. Soon Twilight began to tear up and others followed suit. Soon everyone was tearing up over the truly beautiful last words of the pegasus. All except one. Rainbow Dash stood stock still and closed her eyes.

“Twilight?”

“Y-yeah?”

“I have to save her. I just—I just have to.”

“That’s impossible. Nothing is fast enough to get her out of there before the bomb hits.”

“That’s not completely true,” replied Dash, a grin covering her face as she whispered her plan into Twilight’s ear.

“What?! But that’s never even been tried before!”

“That’s why I know it’ll work. Trust me.”

“Alright but you better get your cyan flank back to base as fast as possible. Understood!?”

“Yeah yeah don’t worry!”

Rainbow Dash shot away from them into the air, searching for the white pegasus.

Frigid squinted as the bombs went off in the air, even the darkened goggles not shielding her from the intense light.

It is time.

She pushed her wings into overtime and flew faster and faster towards the white flashing mass of explosions.

“Here we go.”

She flew straight into the midst of the bombs going off and flew faster and faster to the center of the front. She was almost there, almost at her final destination. In a few moments, she was suddenly above the front. It was now or never. She hit the switch with her hoof and the bomb swiveled underneath her. She closed her eyes and pressed he switch again and the bomb unlatched itself. She let go and let her body fall to the field below, embracing her end.

Rainbow spotted her target from high above through the flashes from the bombs. She flew even higher, past the cloud layer and then started to drop into a sharp dive. The first Rainboom set the clouds afire with a thousand hues. But she kept going, her blinding speed bringing tears to her eyes.

“Almost there. Come on! Come on!”
BOOM. The second rainboom rocked the air and the ground sending flames of every imaginable color in a beautiful halo for the entire front to see. She shot faster than she ever had through the air, leaving a trail of flames.

Frigid kept falling. Trying to remember fond memories before death took her.
Her mother picked her up and spun her around playfully as her father did the same running around with Frigid and making airplane noises.
She could see the bomb was nearing at the ground.
Her first night with her first marefriend. It wasn’t anything serious. Just having tons of fun with someone who Frigid liked.
The bomb was about to hit and Frigid closed her eyes for what she thought was the last time.
She stood in a row with her friends and fellow recruits as Rainbow Dash looked over and smiled.
Suddenly a rainbow colored blob is blocking her vision and she is ripping through the air being propelled by some unseen force. She uses her hooves to push the blob out of her face and realizes it is a rainbow mane attached to the head of a cyan pegasus.

“Rainbow…Dash?” Frigid asked weakly, unable to move because of the air tearing against her with the speed they were going.

Then the bomb went off. It was a sound so deafeningly loud, Frigid thought the world would end. Bright red energy blossomed out of the detonation zone and even with their insane speed, it was gaining on the.

Rainbow Dash had made it just in time to scoop Frigid up and now she was flying as fast as she could.

“Almost to the base! Come on Rainbow! Show me what you got!”

She beat her wings even harder and could feel the heat of the bomb suddenly on her back and she pushed her wings even more. Another white cone of speed formed around her as she broke through the protective force field around the base, leaving the explosion to rock the very foundations of the base but not destroy it. Rainbow touched down next to the medical tents and got Frigid a bed to rest on. The rest of the group, who Twilight had teleported with her spell, were soon next to the white pegasus. Another pony, who in Frigid’s blurry vision, could only be distinguished as a pegasus with a magenta mane and an orange coat leaned in to say something. The pony winced a little as she spoke.

“It’s alright now, Frigid. We’re all her. All of your friends are here for you.”