• Published 5th Nov 2012
  • 9,840 Views, 379 Comments

Cuddling - cooopercrisp



Rainbow Dash cuddles with her friends.

  • ...
51
 379
 9,840

The Most Natural Thing

Chapter 7: The Most Natural Thing

“Twilight?” Spike asked the sleeping mare. She sighed in exasperation.

“Come on,” Twilight said. Ever since Spike had first come in to sleep in Twilight’s bed, he had been coming during the middle of every night to lie with her. Twilight had always let him do so without so much as a peep of protest. This night, however, she had been awoken from a fantastic dream. She had been flying alongside Princess Celestia over the city of Canterlot, discussing magic with her.

“Spike, before you doze off,” Twilight started.

“Huh?” Spike said, apparently being pulled from the beginnings of slumber by Twilight’s voice. Twilight chuckled.

“Spike, I was just wondering why you even bother to go to your own bed if you just keep coming in here to sleep anyway.”

“What?” Spike asked, still groggy. “Oh, wait, I think I get it. Yeah, about that, I’m…not exactly proud of my coming in here.”

“You’re embarrassed?” Twilight asked.

“Well…sort of, yeah, I guess,” Spike said. He started to blush, which Twilight noticed even in the dark.

“Spike, I told Rainbow Dash this, and I’m telling you this, that it is perfectly fine to want to snuggle with someone while you sleep. I just wish there wasn’t so much of a stigma around it.”

“Are you sure?” Spike asked.

“Of course I’m sure, Spike. Why wouldn’t I be sure?”

“I don’t know,” Spike said. “Okay, so if I just automatically come up here to sleep, you’re not going to mind?”

“If that’s what you really want, I won’t object. It’s just you woke me up from a really nice dream, and I just don’t see the point of you constantly waking me in the middle of the night to ask permission to sleep in my bed.”

“I didn’t realize I was bothering you,” Spike said. “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be, it’s not a bother at all,” Twilight said. “In fact, I’m relieved you’re allowing yourself to be more comfortable with what you want.”

“Yeah,” Spike said, his blush subsiding. “Hey, you don’t think Rarity would like it if I asked her to do this, do you?”

“Um, Spike…I don’t think Rarity would want to lead you on. She might be afraid you’d take it the wrong way.”

“What do you mean?” Spike asked.

“Well, between friends this is fine, but if you have a crush on somepony and you want to do this, it’s usually for different reasons.”

“Oh, those kinds of reasons,” Spike said. “Gotcha. But what if I told her I wouldn’t take it the wrong way?”

“She’d wonder why you’d even bring up the idea of a wrong way,” Twilight said. “And what do you mean, if you told her? You’re not thinking of lying to Rarity about what you want from her, are you?”

“Well, if that’s what it takes…” Spike said, leaving the rest unsaid.

“Spike, I think Rarity would see right through that,” Twilight said, “and, like it or not, she doesn’t like you the same way that you like her.”

“You don’t have to tell me that. I already know,” Spike said. “Figures. Who’d want a dragon like me? I don’t even have wings!”

“Spike, don’t say that,” Twilight said. “You’re a handsome dragon, and any girl dragons would be lucky to have you.”

“Which ones? The ones that don’t live in Ponyville?” Spike asked.

“Oh, right…” Twilight said, cursing herself for not thinking through what she said. She blamed it on the time of night. “Well, dragons live a really long time, don’t they? So you have all the time in the world to grow up and then go out there and find some dragon who’s right for you.”

“Twilight, you know I’m not going to leave you again,” Spike said. “That was a big mistake.”

“Well, once you’ve grown up you may think differently. You won’t stay a baby dragon forever,” Twilight said.

“This is getting too deep for me,” Spike said. “I’m tired.”

“You’re right. We can talk in the morning. Good night, Spike.”

“Night, Twilight,” Spike said, and the two of them quickly dozed off.

***

Twilight awoke to the sound of knocking on the door. She looked at the clock on her wall and noticed that it was barely seven in the morning. Knowing that the library didn’t open till nine, Twilight slumped out of bed to tell off the early morning intruder. Her rustling woke up Spike, and he called out to her as she was beginning to go down the stairs.

“Why are you up so early?” Spike asked.

“Somepony’s knocking on the door,” Twilight said. “I have to remind them that we’re closed until nine.”

“Oh, all right,” Spike said. “Let me know how it goes.” With that, he turned over and went right back to sleep. Twilight envied the dragon’s ability to fall asleep at the turn of a hat.

When she reached the bottom of the stairs, Twilight heard the loud knocking once again. She also heard a muffled voice calling from outside the door. Twilight thought the voice sounded familiar, but she couldn’t put her hoof on which pony it belonged to. She opened the top half of the door.

“The library’s closed till—Applejack?” Sure enough, the orange farm pony was standing outside the door, looking very disgruntled. Twilight quickly opened the rest of the door and invited her in, but Applejack, rather than thank Twilight for letting her in, glared at her and didn’t say a word. Twilight was shocked by the pony’s rude behavior; it was just so unlike her.

“Um,” Twilight started, a little unsure of herself, “what brings you out here so early?”

“What kind of funny business are you playin’ at?” Applejack demanded.

“Funny business?” Twilight asked. “I don’t know what you mean by that.”

“You and Rainbow Dash a few days ago, remember what was goin’ on then?”

“Huh?” Twilight asked, a bit dumbfounded. “Wait…do you mean when we were cuddling in the same bed? What does that have to do with anything?”

“Apparently, she’s been goin’ out and gettin’ all warm and cozy with all of our friends. I’m here to put an end to this nonsense and to get all of y’all to start thinkin’ straight.”

“Are you saying you have a problem with cuddling?” Twilight asked, starting to get irritated with her friend.

“Ain’t got no problem with cuddlin’ when it’s between two ponies that are courtin’ each other. But in between two friends? That’s just gross.”

“Gross?” Twilight asked. “Applejack, you’re not making sense.”

“What I wanna know,” Applejack continued, as if she didn’t even hear Twilight speak, “is why all of y’all are convinced that this is perfectly okay when it is clearly not.”

“Geez, Twilight,” came a voice from upstairs, “how long does it take to tell somepony the library’s closed. Oh, hi, Applejack.”

“Mornin’, Spike,” Applejack said before doing a double take. “Spike, what were you doin’ up in Twilight’s room?”

“What? Oh!” Spike said, cowering under Applejack’s accusing glare. “You see, Twilight got me up bright and early to organize her bookshelf with her.”

“Spike, don’t lie, especially not to the Element of Honesty,” Twilight said. “Spike’s been having trouble sleeping, so I’ve taken to cuddling with him to calm him down.”

“Twilight, don’t say that!” Spike pleaded, but the damage had already been done.

“Now she’s got you caught up in this?” Applejack asked Spike. “Uh-uh, no way, this has got to stop, and ah’m gonna be the one to do it!”

“Applejack, maybe if you’ll listen you will understand,” Twilight said.

“No, Twilight, maybe if you listen to me then you’ll understand. This whole cuddlin’ business just ain’t right. Ah’ll show you why. Spike, are you smitten with Twilight?”

“What? Gross!” Spike protested, but then he looked at the hurt on Twilight’s face and backpedalled. “I mean, not that she isn’t pretty and smart, but she’s raised me ever since I was a newborn.”

“Well, don’t you think cuddlin’ with her is startin’ to give you ideas? Like maybe you could become smitten with her?”

“What?” Spike asked. “That’s ridiculous. Cuddling’s not going to change how I feel about Twilight. It’s just a nice thing we’ve started to do.”

“But…you’re not…?” Applejack asked, fearing that her argument was starting to fall apart.

“No, he isn’t,” Twilight said. “Maybe you’re the one who’s wrong about this, Applejack. When we’re little foals, we always feel safest when we are snuggling with our mothers and fathers. That feeling never goes away, we just pretend we don’t need it, and in some cases, we reject the idea as being unnatural. But it’s quite the opposite. To cuddle with someone is the most natural thing in the world, and if you could only get past your misgivings about it, you might be able to feel that way, too.”

“Ah…” Applejack started, but she was beginning to doubt her convictions and suddenly felt terrible. “You’re right. Ah shouldn’t have been so close-minded. Ah think ah need to apologize to you and Spike for mah intolerance, and ah think ah need to find Rainbow Dash and apologize to her, too.”

“And maybe you can try cuddling with her as well,” Twilight said.

“We’ll see about that,” Applejack said.

***

Rainbow Dash woke up to pitch black darkness outside. How long had she been sleeping here with Rarity? The clock on the wall read midnight. She couldn’t believe what had started as a wild accusation that Rarity might have a crush on her had led to her sleeping in Rarity’s bed at such a late hour. Rainbow Dash slowly pulled herself away from Rarity’s grasp, hoping not to wake the unicorn so that she could leave and return home. Unfortunately, her wing brushed up against Rarity’s nose and she sneezed. Rarity was startled awake and noticed that Rainbow Dash was halfway off of the bed.

“Going somewhere?” Rarity asked. She had to make sure not to sound too upset, even though she was hurt that the blue pegasus would just bail on her.

“I didn’t intend to stay this late,” Rainbow Dash said.

“Well, do you have a problem with spending the night here?” Rarity asked. Rainbow Dash could see a glimpse of the pain in her eyes and instantly felt bad for trying to leave.

“I guess I don’t,” Rainbow Dash said, returning to the bed and letting Rarity hold her.

“But you did,” Rarity said, “or you wouldn’t have tried to leave. What seems to be the matter?”

How about the fact that I still don’t know why you’re acting so weird around me? Rainbow Dash thought, but she had enough sense not to say that.

“I like my cloud bed,” Rainbow Dash settled upon saying. Rarity knew this wasn’t the right answer but she didn’t press the issue any further. She closed her eyes and allowed herself to feel the bliss of Rainbow Dash’s body in her hooves.

Tell her how you really feel! Rarity ordered herself. Do it! You won’t get an opportunity this perfect anytime soon.

No, then she’ll wonder why I lied to her and she’ll be mad I tricked her into lying in bed with me. It simply won’t do.

But it’s been burning you up for so long, you have to let it out and see what happens.

It’s really not a good idea.

Who cares? Just go for it! If she doesn’t reciprocate you can move on and still be friends; if she does you can rejoice! It’s so easy, darling; all you have to do is say the words.

All right, fine, but if this gets me into trouble, you’re going to get it…

“Rainbow Dash, I believe I have a bit of a confession to make.”

Oh no, what is she talking about? Rainbow Dash asked herself.

“Um…yes?” Rainbow Dash said.

“When you asked me this earlier, I said no, but I don’t think it’s fair to hide the truth from you.”

“What are you talking about?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“I mean, the way you ask, you sounded so upset, and so I didn’t dare reveal how I truly felt because I was afraid you would lash out at me for it, but I’ve been thinking and it’s too much to keep buried inside, so I have to tell you now.” As Rarity continued to ramble, Rainbow Dash suddenly recalled what she was talking about. Even though she knew what was going on now, she was going to make Rarity say it to her.

“Rarity!” Rainbow Dash yelled, cutting her off. “Just spit it out!”

“Okay, here it goes…” Rarity said, taking a deep breath. For a second, Rainbow Dash thought she may have been wrong about what to expect, but all doubt was washed away by Rarity’s next words.

“I think I might be in love with you.”