• Published 5th Nov 2012
  • 9,839 Views, 379 Comments

Cuddling - cooopercrisp



Rainbow Dash cuddles with her friends.

  • ...
51
 379
 9,839

Life is Full of Surprises

Chapter 1: Life is Full of Surprises

Rainbow Dash considered herself to be a lot of things, but curious was not one of them. Sure, she was always curious about new flying tricks, but that was so imbued in her personality that it didn’t really count. She didn’t even know why she was feeling so curious about this particular thing, but after sleeping with her plush Spitfire night after night, the idea had suddenly occurred to her. Now she was flying through the gorgeous blue sky towards Ponyville, hoping she could inquire about her curiosity with one of her friends.

She had gone through the list of friends she could try to talk to in her head. Fluttershy, her oldest friend, had come to mind first, but the poor pony was so meek that Rainbow Dash was afraid her curiosity might scare her. So she had been crossed off the list.

Applejack had come to mind next, but that pony was anything but touchy-feely and Rainbow Dash knew trying to talk to her about her curiosity was likely to get her bucked.

She had considered Rarity after that, but Rarity had a tendency to make things awkward. Lately, she had been acting strangely around Rainbow Dash, becoming clumsy and stammering over her words. Rainbow Dash therefore didn’t want to ask her to try anything for fear that she’d trip over her own hooves. No, that would make things far too awkward.

That left Pinkie Pie and Twilight, and while she was sure Pinkie Pie would have been cool with the idea Rainbow Dash had, she wanted to talk to somepony who would take her seriously. So Rainbow Dash flew to the Golden Oaks library and knocked on the door. In a short while, Spike opened the door.

“Oh, hey, Rainbow Dash. Come on in,” Spike said, gesturing for her to come inside with his arm. Rainbow Dash grinned sheepishly; she had forgotten about the presence of Spike and had been hoping to keep her curiosity a private matter between herself and Twilight. As if by pure luck, Spike called up to Twilight’s bedroom.

“I’m going to run those errands for you now!” he called.

“Thanks, Spike. I’ll see you in a few hours!” Rainbow Dash heard Twilight call from her bedroom. Spike nodded to himself and grabbed a satchel of bits from a nearby table.

“You can go up there if you want,” Spike told Rainbow Dash. “She’s just reading.”

“Oh, okay, thanks,” Rainbow Dash said, disbelieving her good fortune. As soon as Spike left the library, Rainbow Dash flew up to Twilight’s room.

“Gah!” Twilight cried, her heart skipping a beat at the sudden arrival of her friend. “Oh, it’s just you, Rainbow Dash. You scared me.”

“Sorry,” Rainbow Dash said. “I guess Spike didn’t tell you that I came in.”

“No, there’s a lot of things he forgets to tell me,” Twilight said.

“So, what are you reading?” Rainbow Dash asked, hesitant to bring up the subject of her curiosity. She mentally kicked herself for being so timid, but now that she was here it was nerve-wracking to consider discussing it.

“It’s an old text on astrology. Princess Luna turned me on to it,” Twilight explained. “She sent me a letter saying that I should study the night sky and recommended this text. I have to say, it’s a bit dry, but the implications on unicorn magic are astounding.”

“That sounds like a lot of egghead stuff to me,” Rainbow Dash chided.

“Rainbow, you can’t use that quip on me anymore. You read books now, too.”

“I read the Daring Do novels, which are like totally awesome. You can keep your astrology textbooks.”

“I guess I’m not going to win this argument,” Twilight said.

“You’d be guessing right,” Rainbow Dash said. “I always win in an argument.”

“Like the time when you had to work for Applejack for a week for crashing into her barn?”

“Well, Applejack is even more stubborn than I am. I know when to back down from a challenge,” Rainbow Dash said.

“Right,” Twilight said.

“Actually, I kind of had a specific reason for coming here,” Rainbow Dash said, her nerves making her stomach squirm. Twilight could see how uncomfortable her friend was, and so put away the book and focused her attention on Rainbow Dash. This actually only made Rainbow Dash feel more nervous, but she appreciated the thought.

“Is something wrong?” Twilight asked.

“No,” Rainbow Dash said, “everything’s cool. I…well, I have a question for you. A proposition, if you will.”

“You don’t have to use big words to try to impress me,” Twilight said.

“Oh, okay,” Rainbow Dash said. “It’s about your Smarty Pants doll. I know you don’t have it anymore, but when you were little did you used to sleep with it?”

“Every night,” Twilight said. “Actually, if you’ll believe it, Applejack tells me Big Macintosh sleeps with it now.”

“Coming from Applejack, it’s gotta be true. That’s, um…weird,” Rainbow Dash said. “I mean, no, it’s not. I…kind of do the same thing.”

“What?” Twilight asked.

“At one of the Wonderbolts shows, they were selling doll…plush figures of each of the Wonderbolts. I had a few bits at hoof, so I bought myself a Spitfire doll…plush figure. And now I sleep with it every night.”

“You do?” Twilight asked. “Well, that’s nothing to be ashamed of. Is that what you wanted to know, whether it was normal to sleep with a doll?”

“Plush figure,” Rainbow Dash said. “No, that wasn’t quite it. I was wondering one night about how ponies sleep without plush...fine, dolls. And then I realized that two ponies who are going out and living together sleep in the same bed. And I was thinking to myself, hey, that would be pretty all right, but how would I ever try it? And then I thought, well, it doesn’t have to be in a romantic way, but maybe I could ask one of my friends if they’d be willing to try it. And…oh, I’m so embarrassed,” Rainbow Dash said, her cheeks flushed and hot.

“Hold on, I’m not sure if I heard that right,” Twilight said. “You want to…cuddle with somepony?”

“Yeah, and I guess we don’t even have to fall asleep. But it was a stupid idea. I’ll just go…”

“Wait, Rainbow Dash. I think it’s sweet,” Twilight said.

“Hello, look who you’re talking to. I’m Rainbow Dash! I don’t do sweet or cute or cuddly. It’s bad enough I sleep with a doll, now I want to cuddle with my friends? What am I becoming?”

“You’re still the same Rainbow Dash,” Twilight said. “I think your desire for physical comfort is perfectly normal. You’re right about ponies who cuddle with each other when they’re dating, but whoever said two ponies have to date in order to get that experience? Why can’t cuddling just be shared between friends? I think you have very progressive ideas, and I’m willing to try it if you’re willing to let go of your shame.” Rainbow Dash looked at Twilight, making sure she was taking her seriously. Twilight gave her a reassuring smile, which made Rainbow Dash smile, too.

“So you’ll do it?” Twilight asked.

“I guess so, but I’m still nervous about it,” Rainbow Dash said.

“Don’t be. This is purely platonic.”

“That’s not what I’m nervous about,” Rainbow Dash said.

“Oh…well, don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone your secret desire to cuddle,” Twilight said. “We’ll keep this just between us, okay?” Rainbow Dash took a deep breath.

“Okay, I feel better now,” she said.

“Then we’ve no time to waste. Come on,” Twilight said, climbing up into her bed. Twilight’s bed was only just wide enough for two ponies, but Rainbow Dash figured that would be enough room for what they were doing. She climbed up into the bed next to Twilight and lay on her side, facing Twilight’s back. Tentatively, she wrapped a hoof around Twilight’s body, resting it comfortably against Twilight’s abdomen.

“Be careful,” Twilight said. “I’m really ticklish there.”

“Okay,” Rainbow Dash said. She rested her head on the pillow, her muzzle up against Twilight’s mane. Rainbow Dash took an adventurous sniff, and the smell of jasmine and mint reached her nostrils.

“What kind of shampoo do you use?” she asked.

“It’s an import from Fillydelphia,” Twilight said. “Rarity insists on ordering it for me, and I don’t have the heart to say no.”

“Well, it smells awesome,” Rainbow Dash said.

“Thank you,” Twilight said. “I’m sure yours smells nice, too.”

“Not as nice, believe me,” Rainbow Dash said. The two snuggled in closer, and Rainbow Dash could feel the warmth emanating from Twilight’s back as she rested against it. All of her nerves were gone now, forgotten as she held Twilight like she was a giant doll. Only dolls don’t smell as nice, and you can’t feel their belly rise and fall with their breaths, and they don’t feel nearly as warm or as welcoming as a friend.

Rainbow Dash and Twilight actually fell asleep like that for a few hours. Rainbow Dash awoke first, the sun now riding high in the sky. She could still feel Twilight’s slow breathing as the purple pony continued to snooze.

Rainbow Dash smiled to herself. This had been a lot nicer than she had expected. She was glad she had chosen Twilight to talk to; she had taken Rainbow Dash seriously and had been open-minded to the idea of cuddling, and boy did it feel amazing. Rainbow Dash could feel Twilight stir, and she moaned a bit as consciousness returned to her.

“Hey, Twilight?” Rainbow Dash whispered. Twilight mumbled in response.

“What is it?” she then said more clearly.

“Can we switch sides? I kind of want to be held now.”

“Oh, okay,” Twilight said. Rainbow Dash turned over, now facing the window. She could feel Twilight’s body move in close to hers, and she moaned pleasurably when Twilight started to stroke her wing.

“That feels so good,” Rainbow Dash said.

“I’ve always read that pegasi like to have their wings stroked,” Twilight said. “Now seemed as good a time as any to try it out.”

“Well, don’t stop,” Rainbow Dash said. Twilight stopped briefly, and Rainbow Dash groaned. Twilight giggled and resumed her stroking.

“I’m just teasing,” she said. Rainbow Dash liked the feeling of being held even more, she decided. It was really nice to have her wing stroked, and Twilight’s other hoof was nestled underneath her head. Soon, Twilight stopped stroking her wing and hugged her tightly, which pleased Rainbow Dash even more.

“You’re really soft,” Twilight said.

“So are you,” Rainbow Dash replied. Twilight then remembered about Rainbow Dash’s mane and smelled it.

“Oh, that’s, um…different,” she said.

“What does it smell like to you?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Spring water, like the kind that runs down the river in Canterlot,” Twilight said. “I never thought I would smell that again.”

“Well, I guess life is full of surprises. Yesterday, I’d have said you were crazy if you told me what I would be doing today.”

“I’m sure you would,” Twilight said. “Hush now, I’m feeling ready to fall asleep again.”

“Okay,” Rainbow Dash said. The two laid like that for a long time as sleep took over them.

Spike returned with the grocery shopping completed. The satchel of bits had been replaced by bags of groceries that were difficult for him to carry, but he wouldn’t have it any other way. Spike did all the cooking, so he insisted on doing all the shopping. It only made sense.

Spike put the groceries away, and, not seeing Twilight anywhere in the library proper, he walked up to see if she was still reading in her room. Spike opened the bedroom door, and when he saw Twilight lying with Rainbow Dash, he freaked out.

“What are you two doing?” Spike cried, waking them up.

“Spike, not so loud,” Twilight groaned when she saw her dragon through weary eyes.

“This isn’t what it looks like!” Rainbow Dash cried, her eyes wide open and terror coursing through every fiber of her being.

“Okay, well what is it, then?” Spike asked. He was very confused about what he was seeing.

“Twilight and I were just…experimenting,” Rainbow Dash said. “Not like that! I mean…I wanted to try cuddling with her, and so we decided to cuddle and take a nap together. That’s all, I swear!”

“All right, I get it now. You can relax,” Spike said.

“Spike, don’t you have something better to be doing than accosting Rainbow Dash?” Twilight groaned.

“Excuse me,” Spike said. “I guess I’ll just go make myself useful then.” Spike walked off in a huff. Twilight groaned again and lifted herself off of the bed.

“I have to make sure he’s all right,” she told Rainbow Dash. “Do you want to stay for dinner?”

“No, that’s okay. I should probably get going. I didn’t even plan to stay for this long. It just felt really nice…” Rainbow Dash muttered that last part.

“Ignore Spike, he overreacted,” Twilight said. “You know what I think? I think you should try cuddling with our other friends. You were right about it feeling nice, and I want you to share that with them.”

“You really think they’ll go for it, though?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“I’m sure you can convince them,” Twilight said. “Of course, if you’re still embarrassed about it, you don’t have to talk to them about it.”

“No, I think you may have a point,” Rainbow Dash said. “I’ll consider it. Thanks for everything, Twi.”

“You’re welcome,” Twilight said. “Have a safe flight home!”

“Will do,” Rainbow Dash said, opening the balcony window and taking off for her home in the sky.