• Published 5th Mar 2013
  • 9,127 Views, 3,240 Comments

My Little Caboose II: Friendship is Fragmented! - DarkWing



Church, finally freed from his stone prison after a month of having Discord trapped in his mind along with him, must readjust to the pony world with nothing but twisted memories, as well a group of equally twisted friends.

  • ...
32
 3,240
 9,127

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 68 - "Mutual Agreement"

"What are you doing here?" Washington asked cautiously, locking his eyes on the slightly pudgy man.

"I could ask you all the same thing," the Chairman countered. With a cough, he began walking towards Carolina, another man following close behind. "You see, we've recently come under attack by dozens of assailants. Assailants that we know to be linked with the ex-Director of Project Freelancer. I believe they were copies of a certain Agent Texas. I'll spare you the small details, but some of the men in my employ got hurt."

"Some? I'm surprised you're still standing here," Church grunted.

"Are you? Well, that is the benefit of being in charge. You don't have to worry about self-defense. Especially not when you have your own army to protect you, unless you haven't noticed."

"Oh, don't worry, we noticed," Grif muttered sarcastically.

"Yeah, great. You were attacked and your army fended off the assault. And now they're surrounding us. If I'm not mistaken, we didn't attack you, so what do you want?" Carolina asked icily. "What does all this have to do with us?"

"What doesn't it have to do with you all?" the Chairman retorted yet again. Wanting to address all of them, rather than just the Freelancers, Malcom walked past Wash and began to circle the Reds and Blues, eyeing them over. "I've heard many things about you all..."

"Like what?" Simmons asked nervously as the Director stopped next to him.

"Oh, a great deal of things, Private Richard Simmons. I know all about what lead each of you here. I also know that you are all simulation troopers... And how you're a part, albeit a small one, of the long Freelancer history."

"Yeah, great, you know all abou-" Church began.

"And I also know that you killed my men in that little canyon of yours," the Chairman said flatly, letting what he said sink in for a few moments. Though he stated it simply and with near no emotion, the others looked at him as if he had made a very intense threat. "And while I abhor their deaths, I am willing to forgive you all on the grounds of self-defense..."

"If?" Carolina asked, knowing he wasn't going to go light on them for no reason.

"If you work for me," he stated, then flashed them a simple smile. By their silence, he understood their hesitance. "Only temporarily, of course. I by no means want you to work for me full-time. I am simply offering you a job. A job that will clear all your names, making you all free men. And women, of course" he added with a smaller, more tender smile, nodding towards Carolina and Sister.

"You can do that?" Simmons asked.

"I can do many things for my friends and allies," he said, smile tightening.

"What's the job?" Washington asked, remembering how his last job for the Director ended.

"It's simple. I want you to bring me to the Director. It is my understanding that you are here in an attempt to track him down and possibly kill him. I understand you all have your personal vendettas and what have you, but justice must be given to him by legal means. Since you're here, I'm sure you all know of the things he's done. He has committed many crimes, and he needs to answer for them. But justice is not for you to give out."

"And if we refuse?" Washington asked.

The man standing next to the Director flicked the safety off of his weapon and raised it in half a second.

"I think you know the answer to that," the Chairman chuckled.

Carolina looked at the Chairman suspiciously.

"If we do this... you won't hurt us? You'll let us leave and never look for us again?" Church asked after a few moments of silence.

"Correct. You bring us to the Director, and we'll leave you be forever."

"How do we know you won't go back on your word?"

"You don't, but I'm afraid you don't really have another option," he said morosely. "If it makes the decision any easier than it already is, we know where the Director is located."

"What?" Church and Carolina asked in unison.

"Yes, it seems that one of the drones that attacked us had a little note in their hand. And this note was signed by the Director. At first, I found it very odd that he would do something as silly as give me a hand-written note, especially in such a strange and violent circumstance. As bitter as our little relationship was, he didn't strike me as an overly violent man. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that the Director truly may be insane."

"If you know where he is, then why do you need us?" Tucker asked.

"Because he also considered that the Director didn't really go insane," Carolina said knowingly. "He knew the Director wanted to kill him, and that note was there just in case they failed to do the job."

"He thought the Director might be luring him and his men into a trap," Church finished.

"Ah, much doesn't get past you. I like that," the Chairman said. "It means I came to the right people."

"We just know who we're up against," Church sighed. "Alright, we'll do it."

"I had a feeling you would. I'm ever so glad that we managed to come to a mature conclusion," the Chairman said. Turning around, he took a few paces towards his ship, but then glanced back at them. "If I may make a recommendation, however... don't be so quick to turn on your fellow soldier, even in jest."

"Don't worry about them, they wouldn't have killed him. Pointing our guns at each other is more of a greeting to us at this point," Church sighed. When he noticed the Chairman continued to walk away. "Hey, you said you knew where the Director was. We can't find him if you don't tell us."

"Ah, it's the big things we seem to forget, isn't it?" the Chairman sighed, then turned around and pulled a note out of his pocket. "It seems that our mutual associate seems to be hiding out..." he trailed off, reading the note. "'Where it all began...'"

The Reds, Blues, and Freelancers let out a small collective sigh. The Chairman raised a brow.

"He's toying with us," Carolina snapped irately.

"We've been going off that little clue for a while..." Church explained.

"Really? On the note it said you should all know the answer to this riddle," the Chairman said quietly, rubbing his thumb against the note.

"Is that really a riddle, though? I thought riddles had to rhyme... or at least be more vague than where it all began," Doc chipped in. "I mean, where it all began could mean anything. It doesn't say it is where anything big began. It could mean any small event too. Heck, it could even just mean when Washington, Donut and I found you guys."

Church looked at Tucker, who was closest to him. They silently exchanged a glance.

"By that, I assume you know where he is..." the Chairman coughed.

"I think we do now," Church sighed. "Can you give us an hour or two to get prepared."

"Very good," the Chairman clapped as he put the note back in his pocket. "Now, we will give you all a moment to prepare. When you leave, we will follow you gentlemen closely."

"Wait!" Washington said quickly, taking a step towards the army. "Before you go, I have one demand."

"Hm?" the Chairman paused.

"Do you have any gray paint on that ship?" Washington said with a cough, motioning towards his armor.

"I'll see what I can find for you," the Chairman nodded.

PreviousChapters Next