• Published 5th Mar 2013
  • 9,129 Views, 3,240 Comments

My Little Caboose II: Friendship is Fragmented! - DarkWing



Church, finally freed from his stone prison after a month of having Discord trapped in his mind along with him, must readjust to the pony world with nothing but twisted memories, as well a group of equally twisted friends.

  • ...
32
 3,240
 9,129

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 46 - "Detours and Interruptions"

Tex had been walking for a few, short minutes and had found herself halfway through the town, a new, albeit small goal to work toward. It was the first time in a while she felt relatively useful, and even though it was only her teaching Spike a small bit of what she knows, it was something that made her a tiny bit happier. With that in mind, she decided to stop by at a nearby shop, one which she thought she'd generally never go to that much. Pushing open the front door, she was instantly greeted by the smell of sweets, the sight of pastries, and the sound of a slightly-annoying, but somehow endearing friend.

"Heya, Texy! Wacha doin?" Pinkie Pie asked from behind the counter.

"Not much, just going on a small walk to Applejack's," Tex said as she walked towards the counter. "I needed to see her about something, and figured I'd stop by and say hello since you're on the way."

"Aw, that's nice of you!" the pink mare smiled. "Can I get you anything?"

"I don't have any money on me, sorry."

"Oh, don't worry about that! Sometimes I give Dashie and Grif one every now and again. The Cakes don't mind." Pinkie said as she fished out a bright yellow cupcake from behind the counter, then held it out for Tex. Seeing that Tex was reluctant to take it, Pinkie simply giggled. "What's a cupcake between friends?"

"Alright, thanks," Tex said with a nonchalant shrug, taking the cupcake and tossing it in her mouth. "You really think we're friends?"

"Well duh, we've been over this before," Pinkie snorted, rolling her eyes playfully as Tex swallowed the sweet treat. "Of course you're my friend!"

"Guess you're one of the few, huh?" Tex chuckled humorlessly.

"Oh, don't be like that. You have lots of friends!" Pinkie said, tapping her hooves together as she counted out names. "I mean, you have me, then Caboose, Twilight, then Church and Spike, Rarity, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Simmons, Grif, Sarge, Tucker, Gary, O'Malley, Delta, Theta, Sigma, Eta and Iota-"

"Some of them are alright, and I guess I could call them friends," Tex admitted. "But I'm talking about actual friends from this place that I've made. Ones that I can hang around and talk to about... I don't know, friend stuff, I guess."

"What about Pip n' Vinyl?" the bouncy mare asked, tilting her head to the side with a look of curiosity.

"Not sure where they live," Tex sighed, shrugging. "Besides, I'm not sure how friendly it would look for a mare with a skull on her ass to be hanging around a kid."

"I thought Vinyl told you where she worked," Pinkie said, scratching her chin.

"Forgot about that. Maybe I'll..." Tex stopped and shook her head. "I don't know about looking her up. I don't even know what the hell we'd talk about, and how friendly is being silent?"

"Friends aren't always about talking to somepony with common interests, silly. Friends can also be about having somepony to sit next to in a comfortable silence, content with each other's company," she said, then lowered her head and looked up pensively. "But I like the first kind more, because silence can get boring. That reminds me, I should hang out with Eta and Iota more to find out what they like!"

"Thanks for the words of... encouragement?"

"No problem-o!" Pinkie giggled. "So what were ya going to see Applejack about?"

"If I tell you, you have to promise not to tell Church, okay?"

"Cross m-"

"Okay, I trust you," Tex said quickly, remembering that Pinkie was rather odd about promises. And mostly everything else. "I'm going to see her about getting some stuff to make some targets for some training I'm going to give Spike."

"Ohhh, what kind of training?" Pinkie asked happily, leaning in to show she was paying full attention.

"Some defensive stuff. Offense is pretty much off limits seeing as last time I tried to teach him some stuff, he hit Church in the face with a ball of fire..."

"You're teaching him super-duper secret agent stuff?"

"I'm not sure if I would call it that, but-"

"Aww, I want to cooooome," Pinkie frowned, stomping back and forth slightly.

"I'd say yes, but Twilight's only letting me teach Spike because she knows there isn't much else I can do around here. I'm not sure how much she'd like me teaching... others about... self... defense..." Tex said slowly, thinking about her words as she said them. "Y'know, maybe that's something I could do around here. I'm sure Twilight wouldn't mind me teaching others as long as it stayed self-defense instead of a fighting class. That way I could be helpful without being violent."

"Then you could teach me ninja stuff!" Pinkie said ecstatically.

"From what I've seen, you have me beat in the appearing out of nowhere thing. I don't think there's much I could teach you," Tex said as she turned around and began to walk out the door. "I think I'll get going now. Thanks for the cupcake."

"Don't worry about it. I'll tell Caboose you said hi," Pinkie said, waving as Tex left.

Tex glanced to the ground as walked out the door, thinking about the future. Since she was staring at the ground, however, she did not see the stallion in her way and ended up bumping into him. Shaking her head, she glanced up, fighting back the instinct of telling them to watch where they were going, only to see a familiar

"By the way you bumped into me, you must be very familiar with knock knock jokes," the stallion chuckled.

"Just when things were beginning to look up..." Tex grumbled as Gamma began to walk around her.

"If it isn't ex-Agent Texas," Gamma said slyly, walking around the black mare. "What are you doing out on this fine day?"

"I should ask you the same thing."

"Now, now. I am doing no harm to you, or to others. Yet, at least," he chuckled.

"That doesn't inspire much confidence..." she muttered, turning her head so she always had him in her sights.

"Come now, I am just being honest. I have no plans on toying with others, but both you and I know that I am more than capable of doing so. I simply need a reason to do so, and I have not found one yet," he said thoughtfully, pausing next to her. "Now, if you wish to speak to someone you can never be sure about, I could fetch Omega for you."

"No thanks. Now again, what are you doing out here?"

"Ah-ah-ahh," he tutted. "I happened to have asked that question before you did."

"I'm going to see Applejack, but stopped by Pinkie's to have a small chat. That's much more information than you need to know," she said with a forced smile. "Now what are you doing out here?"

"I'm simply going for a walk," he replied tightly. After a second's thought, he glanced at her. "You wouldn't have happened to have seen Omega on your way to Applejack's, have you?"

"Didn't you just say you'd get him for me?" she inquired, ever-suspicious eyes narrowing on the stallion.

"Ah, right, I did say that," he said with a nod. He then turned around and began to walk away. "I suppose I'll be off. Should you wish to speak to me, you may seek me out at the town hall."

"Who would ever want to do something like that?" she grunted, turning around to continue her trek to Applejack's.

PreviousChapters Next