• Published 5th Mar 2013
  • 9,129 Views, 3,240 Comments

My Little Caboose II: Friendship is Fragmented! - DarkWing



Church, finally freed from his stone prison after a month of having Discord trapped in his mind along with him, must readjust to the pony world with nothing but twisted memories, as well a group of equally twisted friends.

  • ...
32
 3,240
 9,129

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 38 - "Biding Time"

"Man, I can't wait to find this tree," Grif said happily as they made their way down the path of the forest. "I hope there are lots of them, that way I can pick a shitload to carry back with me. And by me picking them, I really mean you, Simmons."

"I suppose you want me to carry them back too?" Simmons grumbled sarcastically.

"Oh, that would be great. Thanks for offering," he chuckled, looking to the other unicorn that walked slightly ahead of them, leading the way. "So how long do you think it'll take to get there?"

"Not that long," Simmons quickly interrupted, not wanting Delta to tell him the truth. "We just have to make a quick stop somewhere else first."

"Uh, Simmons, I'm not sure if you know this, but there's a tree that grows fruits that taste like bacon. That's pretty much one of the only things I won't take any stops for," Grif grunted.

"I know you're excited, but we really have to stop by Zecora's place for a bit," Simmons countered, glancing at the flower on his back. "I have to ask her if she knows what kind of flower this darn thing is."

"Hm, a stupid flower, or awesome food, where should we stop first?" Grif asked himself in the most sarcastic voice he could muster. Yup, that's a tough one, Simmons, but I think I'd rather go to the bacon tree first. After that, then you can go see her about the flower."

"Zecora's home is between us and your destination. It would be quicker and simpler to go there first," Delta chimed in.

"Besides, she knows where it is the best. There is a chance that Delta may have forgotten where the fruits are."

"I don't know, Delta is pretty much the only smart guy around," Grif said hesitantly, eyeing the green unicorn. "Doesn't seem like he'd forget where something is, especially something as awesome as this."

"Hey, I'm smart too," Simmons mumbled sourly.

"Yeah, but Delta is, like, a billion times smarter than you."

"I do not believe it is by that much," Delta disagreed.

"Thank you, Delta," Simmons said with a smile. "It's good to know us smart guys stick together."

"Perhaps in the tens of thousands, but nowhere near billions," he added. "Of course, that is only because my brain still functions like that of an AI, while Simmons' brain functions like that of a human, or in this case, a stallion with slightly above average intellect."

"Gee, thanks," the red unicorn murmured sourly.

"But Simmons is correct in one regard. I know you wish to receive your... bacon-fruits first," Delta said slowly, then shook his head. "But if we were to get them first, you most likely would not wish to go to Zecora's and would see it as a waste of time, then part ways with your food."

"You know me so well," Grif said sincerely, then let out a rough, tired sigh. "Alright, I'll stick around for Zecora's, but we better make it quick. Just because I got bit once by one of those asshole wolves doesn't mean I want to be bit again."

"Provided we do not separate, I believe they will leave us alone."

"All the more reason to stay with you, I guess," the pegasus sighed. With a scowl, he began to squint and look around the dark forest. "How much longer 'til we're at Zecora's?"

"Less than a minute," Delta remarked as he glanced at a nearby tree. "I recognize the path quite well."

"I don't see how. Each tree looks the same in this damned forest," he grumbled. "Even the wolves look like the trees."

"Do you see one?" Simmons asked, trotting closer to Delta.

"No, but I know that they're around, stalking us," Grif said slowly, eyeing the bushes around them. "You can hear the sound of leaves and twigs being stepped on and shit.You'd think after so long, they'd learn how to be quiet."

"You can hear them?" Simmons asked. When Grif nodded, he began snapping his head in every which direction. "I don't see them anywhere!"

"Perhaps they're testing us for more weaknesses," Delta remarked.

"They are?" Simmons said, trying hard not to yelp, thinking he saw something in the shadows.

"It is a possibility. A very high one at that. They did it before, but they weren't prepared for one who can read over twenty steps ahead," Delta said with a forced chuckle. "If these are the ones I faced, they are most likely watching me."

"Maybe I'll stick closer to Grif, then," Simmons said hesitantly. "Yeah, that seems like a good idea alright."

"You never know. Maybe they see me as the one that got away, and now they want to finish the job," Grif said with a snicker.

"I hate this place," Simmons mumbled, standing exactly between Grif and Delta.

"No matter, we're at our first destination," Delta said as they came upon a lone hut.

Delta calmly walked up to the door while Simmons stood perfectly still, not wanting to be closer to either of the other stallions lest they be the target of the timberwolves. The green unicorn lightly tapped on the door, then simply stood still. He soon heard the sound of hooves coming towards the door. He quickly readjusted his stance, wanting to appear appropriate and formal.

"Ah, what is this that I see with with my own eyes?" Zecora asked with a warm smile as she opened the door. "A trio of friends. Who do I have to thank for this surprise?"

"Hello, Zecora," Delta said politely. "We are here to request your help, should you feel so inclined."

"I will always try to help one who is a close friend. But tell me, how much time do you wish for me to expend?"

"Well, a friend of ours dug up this old and ancient flower, so he gave it to me to find out what kind it is," Simmons muttered, suspending it in the air in front of Zecora. "I looked through a number of books a few times, but I couldn't find anything about it. I was going to try to find another one, but Delta suggested we come see you. I figured it would beat digging all day."

"You're becoming more and more like me each day!" Grif grinned.

"Please don't say that," Simmons begged quietly.

"Hmm. That flower looks very old and ancient, indeed it does. Let me have a look in my notes and I'll try to find out what it was," she said, turning towards her field notes. "Please, make yourself at home, come in and take a seat. Do any of you want something to drink or eat?"

"No thanks. That's actually how we convinced Grif to come with us. We're on our way to, uh..." Simmons stopped, placing the flower on the table next to her.

"To the bacon-fruit trees," the pegasus finished impatiently. "So no offense, but do you think you could hurry up? I mean, it's nice to see you again nd all, but I really want to taste that stuff and see if it's like the real thing."

"I am afraid I do not know what you are talking about," she said quietly as she began flipping the pages of one of her books. "Maybe there is another name for this tree, plant or sprout?"

"It is the tree you once showed me with those delicious fruits," Delta chimed in.

"Ah, I recall the tree in question, I most certainly do," she said with a smirk, glancing back at Delta. "That is where multiple timberwolves were fended off by you."

"I apologize for that, once again. I do not believe I hurt any of them, but if I did, I had no intentions of doing so."

"Do not worry, Delta, I am sure the wolves are doing well," she said. "That is, besides the damage to their pride when they were repelled. Even if the other creatures do not think so, I find it is good to see you again. You promised you would drop by once more, I just didn't know when."

"I am sorry. Things have just been rather hectic over in Ponyville," he said, remembering that Zecora was one of the, if not the only sentient being besides the watchers or the Princessses that knew what he really was. "What with keeping the other fragments in place, Discord returning and being trapped in stone for a month, I simply have not had the time to come by again. I felt this was as good of a reason as any to return."

"I don't mean to interrupt this little friend reunion here, but do you think there is anything in that book about the flower?" Simmons asked.

"If I said it was familiar, I would not be a liar. I seem to recall something of the like, but it was more of a brier," she said, examining the flower closer. "I would suggest getting relaxed, for you may be in for a long sit. I have not found out what the flower is yet, and I may not for a bit."

"God damn it," Grif scowled, crossing his forelegs as he sat on the ground.

"Look at the bright side, Grif," Simmons said. "At least now you'll get to work up an appetite and eat more."

"I guess it's the little things, isn't it?" Grif chuckled, getting ready for a long wait.

PreviousChapters Next