• Published 5th Mar 2013
  • 9,127 Views, 3,240 Comments

My Little Caboose II: Friendship is Fragmented! - DarkWing



Church, finally freed from his stone prison after a month of having Discord trapped in his mind along with him, must readjust to the pony world with nothing but twisted memories, as well a group of equally twisted friends.

  • ...
32
 3,240
 9,127

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 3 - "Requests"

Church spent the next few minutes scarfing down his food. Not only because he had questions to ask, but because since he was trapped in stone, his stomach felt just as empty as it would be if he hadn't eaten in that month. Once he finished, he sat back in the chair and smelled the air, feeling oddly comfortable. He watched as the princesses finished their meal.

"You may ask your questions now," Celestia said as she wiped her muzzle with a napkin.

"How am I back?" he asked, eyes hard.

"We freed you," Luna stated simply.

"I guessed as much from the fact that I'm talking to you," he grunted. "I mean how am I back? The Elements of Harmony trapped me in stone. I thought that there wasn't really a way to free me would be... actually, I wanted to bring that up. Why is it that one of the strongest things in Equestria can be undone with just an argument?"

"It's much more than that. Certain requirements have to be met," Celestia said quietly.

"Uh-huh," he nodded slowly. "You should really consider finding a way to ensure that the Elements of Harmony can't just be counteracted as easily as that, though."

"I'll keep that in mind," she promised.

"To answer your question as to how you came back, I freed you with the Necronomicon last night," Luna said with a smile, tilting her head forward.

"Forgot that guy existed," he muttered, rubbing the back of his head. "So that answers the who, what, when, where and how, so that just leaves me with the why."

"I will answer that question with another question," Celestia said. "Where is Discord?"

Church looked at the ground to clear his head. Discord obviously tried to trick him into thinking he freed him, but Church felt no need to chase after Discord. Discord had promised that he would not cause any more trouble or Church, and pursuing after him wouldn't be anything less than a migraine. If Discord were to somehow show his face, then Church would do something, but since Discord is nigh impossible to be find, the possibility of another meeting with Discord was future Church's problem.

"I'm not sure," he answered finally.

"Do you believe he may be hiding in your mind?" Luna asked. Her words sounded sot spoken, but Church could see a glimmer of suspicion in the Princess of the Moon's eye.

"No, he isn't. Having somebody in your mind isn't exactly a painless experience, especially when there's more than one," he said with a small sigh. "No, he's gone. I don't know where, and I don't know how we would begin to look for him."

"Very well," Celestia sighed sadly. "I will do my best to send word to the other empires to look around."

"Do you think they'll be able to find him?"

"Discord is an impulsive creature. He can't stay hidden forever, and I am sure he will pop up somewhere," she said quietly, looking out the window as if she could sense him. "But that is not your problem now, Church, as I am sure you're happy to hear."

"Tell me about it," he said with a single laugh. "It's not that I'm not thankful for being out of there, but why did you do it? Discord was trapped, so you knew where he was. He had no way to escape to cause trouble."

"That's none of your concern as of yet," she said tightly.

"Alright," he grunted, then looked out the window. "So am I just allowed to go back to Ponyville now?"

"Not quite," Celestia said after a short pause.

"What do you mean?" he asked sternly. "You're not really going to make me a statue again, are you?"

"No, but I am not sure you will like the resolution I'm going to prefer any better," she said honestly.

"Try me."

"We're still not sure how stable you are right now, nor do we know what Discord did to your mind. As such, letting you leave to Ponyville would be extremely risky. There are many factors to consider if we sent you there, and those factors lead me to believe that nothing good can come of it."

"So what? Are you just going to keep me in this castle like a prisoner?" he asked, then looked down at the table. "Er, a well taken care of prisoner."

"I have no interest in having you stay here for longer than you need to be. No, what I have in mind, while against what I stand for, is different."

"Then tell me."

Celestia looked at Luna and they shared a nod. With a deep breath, Celestia looked back to Church with no trace of a smile. Church lifted a brow.

"I want to use the Necronomicon to break you down and turn you back into fragments."

"What?" he asked, eyes opening as widely as they could.

"Church, I know what you're thinking, but I wouldn't ask you this unless I was absolutely sure you'd consider it to be a good option," she said reasonably. "If you would just-"

"A good option? You want to tear me apart mentally!" he yelled. "I've been through that already, and it is not something I want to do again any time soon. There has to be another way."

"Alicorns are looked at as, and usually are royalty, Church. And I'm sorry to say, but I do not believe it would be a wise decision to make you a prince," she said firmly, trying to make it not sound like an insult. "Even though you seem to be able to live life relatively peacefully, you are still the Element of Wrath. If word got out that an Element of Chaos was a royal, anarchy would spread, causing nothing but problems later down the road. Not only that, but this is the best way to find out if Discord is in your head. The only other option I can think of is relocation, but I do not believe you wish to start anew or be banished, nor do I want to risk having you go somewhere with Discord in your head."

"But what if I go crazy?"

"You're strong willed, Church. I've seen it in the short while I've been watching you," Celestia said honestly. "While you may be quick to anger, you are a clear thinker. In the face of adversity, you willing turned yourself to stone to save your friends. You may try to tell me that you did it to get some rest, but I know that you wanted your friends to get some as well. That alone tells me that you have a strong mind, as well as a strong heart. As long as you believe it will work, it will. I understand why you're hesitant to do this. I know it is painful, but I also know that it is the best choice."

Church stared at Celestia with studious eyes. There was a certain look in her eyes that showed she was dead serious, and as much as he hated to admit it, she was right. This was the best way to go about it. He still wasn't sure how stable he was as the Alpha, but as Epsilon he was fine. If he stayed in this form, he couldn't guarantee to himself that everyone around him would be safe.

"Okay," he said with a serious nod. "Let's make me unwhole again."

PreviousChapters Next