• Published 5th Mar 2013
  • 9,129 Views, 3,240 Comments

My Little Caboose II: Friendship is Fragmented! - DarkWing



Church, finally freed from his stone prison after a month of having Discord trapped in his mind along with him, must readjust to the pony world with nothing but twisted memories, as well a group of equally twisted friends.

  • ...
32
 3,240
 9,129

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 2 - "Growing Pains"

Church gasped deeply and sat straight up, mind instantly snapping to attention as he awoke from his near unconscious slumber. Questions blasted around his head like artillery fire, making him grab his head in pain. Focusing, he managed to quell the onslaught of inquiries. He then paused. Shaking, Church brought his hooves to his face and looked at them. He then lowered them and looked around. He was no longer in white space, but rather was in a large, ornate marble room. He looked down and noticed that he was sitting on a large bed. It was soft. Church opened his mouth to ask himself a question, but found it painful to make even the simplest of sounds. He looked to his left and saw a large window and saw the sun beaming down into the room, lighting it up.

Where am I?

Slowly taking the sheet that was covering his lower half, he rolled off the bed and fell to the ground. Grunting from the fall, he got up and tried to regain his balance, finding it extremely difficult. After a few minutes, he managed to stabilize himself enough to walk. He needed to find out where he was. Making his way over to the window, he looked outside and saw dozens of buildings below him, giving him the impression that he was in a tower. He looked to his right, and then to his left, expecting Discord to try to ruin the memory. Usually he would have shown himself by now. After waiting for a few more minutes, nothing happened. Not sure what to make of the situation, he looked around the room to examine it more. There was a drawer at the foot of the large bed which was made out of red wood, as well as a red rug in front of it. There were also several paintings of different sights, none of which seemed to have been manipulated to Discord's preference. He then noticed a large set of doors on the other side of the room.

Then the doors began to open.

With nowhere to hide, Church glared ahead at the door and prepared for the worse. But when the door was fully open, Church only saw a lone stallion staring at him. He was a white stallion and he wore a set of polished golden armor. He had a pair of hard, calculating eyes that went hand in hand, or rather hoof in hoof, with the armor.

"You're awake," the white stallion noted, eyes focused on Church.

"Uh, yeah, I guess I am..." he said, but his voice came out in a croak. Pain flaring through his throat, he quickly swallowed deeply in an attempt to lubricate his dry throat.

"The Princesses have asked me to escort you to the dining room for breakfast."

"The Princesses?" he echoed as if the word was foreign to him. His eyes then widened with the realization and he felt a surge of multiple emotions pass through him. Memories began pouring in, most involving him arguing with Celestia, some involving her arguing with the girls. Pain went through his head as an intense migraine suddenly came upon him, making it difficult for him to distinguish which memories were his and which ones Discord had given to him.

"Are you alright?" the guard asked, taking a step towards Church who was visibly in pain.

"No, I'm Church," he wheezed while he pushed the memories back. Quickly shaking his head, he glanced up at the stallion and nodded with a grimace. "I mean, don't worry about me. Headaches are nothing new for me. Breakfast sounds fan-fucking-tastic, though."

The guard did not flinch at the swear, nor did he smile at it. Rather, the guard was indifferent to him and simply bobbed his head, then turned around and stepped outside the door, pausing as soon as he got out while he waited for his charge. Church quickly regained his senses and managed to ease the headache slightly. As soon as he did that, he took a step towards the door only to fall on his face, legs completely stiff.

"Are you hurt?" the guard asked, a thin tone of reluctance in his voice as he walked back inside to help Church off the ground.

"I'm fine, I'm fine," he assured him as he was hoisted off the marble floor. "Thanks, uh..."

"Bound Shield."

"Huh," he muttered as he slowly made his way to the door with an at-the-ready guard. "Assuming this isn't a dream, is it a law that all the guards around here has to have a name related to being a guard or in the military? I mean, there's you and Shining Armor..."

"Ah, that's right, you know Shining Armor," Bound Shield murmured as they went through the door. After leaning his head to the right to tell Church that they were going that way. He then glanced at Church, a small look of embarrassment crossing his face. "You wouldn't happen to recognize me, would you?"

"Sorry, my memory is a little hazy," he muttered, sighing at the irony of his statement.

"That's okay. But to answer your question, no, having a name related to weaponry and armor is not a requirement to get on the force," the guard said, a small smile on the corner of his lips. "But it certainly helps having a little intimidation in your name."

"Right," he nodded, falling silent. The questions began coming back, but Church decided they could wait for the Princesses.

The pair soon found themselves in front of another set of doors that had two guards standing out front of it. Bound Shield nodded at the guards, and they saluted before opening the door. The first thing he noticed was a very large table with a large quantity of food covering it. Stomach growling, he walked up to it and began to survey it. Fresh fruits, a large assortment of breads, and some foods he wasn't even aware existed.

"Hello Church," a voice said from somewhere else in the room.

Church's head snapped to the left and instantly saw a pair of ponies sitting on the other end of the table, and he instantly recognized who they were.

"Celestia," he nodded warily. He then looked at the pony sitting beside her and nodded again. "Luna, right?"

Luna nodded once.

"It is nice to see you decided to join us," Celestia said with a small smile. She knew just as well as Church did that there was no love lost between them. She then turned to the guard and bowed her head."Thank you for escorting our guest, Bound Shield."

"Your highness," he said as he bowed his head, before leaving the room.

"Please, pull up a chair," she said to Church as the guards outside shut the door.

Church nodded reluctantly. As much as he disliked Celestia, he had a feeling that he would have to deal with her for the time being. Pulling a chair back, he hopped onto it and shifted around until he was comfortable. Celestia then used her magic to put a slice of cantaloupe on his plate, as well as a loaf of bread with some butter. After a few seconds of staring at it, he lifted the melon up to his mouth and took a small bite, giving him a feeling of being refreshed. He then put the rest of melon back down on the plate and looked at the princesses who were tending to their own food.

"What am I doing back?" Church asked quietly.

"It would be best if you ate so we could talk on a full stomach, because I am sure that we all have some questions we wish to be answered, Church," Luna said back.

"Fine," he muttered hesitantly. Church had little to no memories of Princess Luna, so he had no qualms with respecting her wishes, so the trio sat in complete silence as they ate, acting as if everything was normal.

But Church knew that nothing in his life was ever that simple for him.

PreviousChapters Next