• Published 5th Mar 2013
  • 9,127 Views, 3,240 Comments

My Little Caboose II: Friendship is Fragmented! - DarkWing



Church, finally freed from his stone prison after a month of having Discord trapped in his mind along with him, must readjust to the pony world with nothing but twisted memories, as well a group of equally twisted friends.

  • ...
32
 3,240
 9,127

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 24 - "Living Conditions"

It took Grif less than a minute to finish his large order of fries. When he finished, he pulled his head off the plate and let out a satisfied belch.

"That was horrific," Rainbow Dash chuckled, looking at the clean plate. "How the hay did you learn to eat that fast."

"Years of practice, Dash," he said happily, patting his belly.

"I'm not sure if I should be impressed or disgusted that you can do that," she said, smiling at him.

"If you think that's good, you should see what I can do with my mouth," Tucker added slyly, sticking out his tongue in a playful manner. "When that happens, you won't be confused about whether you should be disgusted or impressed."

"Yeah, I know I'll be disgusted," Rainbow Dash said, making him scowl.

"Disgusted at how impressed you are, maybe," Tucker mumbled, finishing the rest of his first drink, just to start on his second in an instant. "You'll be all over me after that and you'll regret having waited this long. Not that I mind, of course. The longer you wait, the better it'll be."

"I'm sure I will, so I think I'll make you wait until the end of time, then it'll be the best,"

"Wait too long and I'll find somebody else to pleasure," he said, downing his second drink.

"As if anypony else would have the patience to listen to you ramble on about that stuff," she snorted, knowing he was joking with her.

"Please, listening to me talk about myself is an honor," Tucker muttered.

"Um, if you don't mind, do you think you could get me another one of these if it's not too much trouble?" Fluttershy asked.

"Alright, be back in a sec," Tucker said instantly, zooming towards the bar.

The remaining three waited until Tucker came back, this time with a tray with nearly a dozen more drinks on it. He placed two of the smaller drinks in front of Fluttershy, then put the tray of larger drinks in the center of the table. With a shrug, they began to drink, talking about nothing in particular. After sitting and drinking for nearly half an hour, Fluttershy had drank her second glass and was halfway through her third while the others were finishing the rest of the drinks.

"So how many do you think you guys are at?" Tucker asked, feeling a slight buzz.

"I'm at seven, you're at six and Grif is at four," Rainbow Dash said.

"Is everything with her a competition?" Grif asked curiously.

"Pretty much," Tucker laughed.

"I admire her knowledge of clouds to sleep on, but I can't help but feel that would get kinda annoying after awhile," he said, then turned to Rainbow Dash and flashed her a quick smile. "No offense."

"I'm comfortable enough to admit that I'm not perfect," she shrugged, then added a smirk soon after. "I'm only mostly perfect. Besides, everypony has something about them, that somepony else is bound to dislike about them. Like I bet living with you isn't all that great. Right, Fluttershy?"

"Hm?" Fluttershy muffled, shaking her head back to attention, feeling slightly distant.

"I was just saying that some ponies would think living with Grif would be unbearable."

"I don't see how," the pegasus muttered thoughtfully. "He's not loud or anything and he keeps to himself."

"That's kind of my point. He doesn't really do anything." Rainbow Dash laughed. "He just sits there. Don't get me wrong, I think he's cool and all, but I don't remember ever seeing him really thank you for watching him. I've even seen Church thank Twilight and he's kind of..."

"A dick?" Tucker suggested.

"Yeah, that," she said sheepishly, turning back to Fluttershy. "I'm just saying, he could show you some more gratitude."

"Oh, it's fine, I really don't mind," Fluttershy murmured, circling her hoof around the rim of her glass.

"Hey, I'm not angry at him for anything," she said honestly. "While he's not exactly ungrateful, he could thank you a little more for letting him stay there."

"Does Tucker ever thank you for that?" Grif inquired.

"No, but he at least has a job and helps pay for food and stuff. Sarge helps Applejack on the farm, Simmons helps Rarity make clothing, and even Caboose helps Pinkie bake," she said. "Again, I'm not saying this to cause problems. That's the last thing I want to do."

"He helps me by watching the animals when I'm not around or am too busy," Fluttershy said.

"Yeah, but that's not hard to do. And you're always going on about how your animals are so well behaved, so I doubt they'd really need to be watched."

"But-"

"She's kinda right," Grif muttered, interrupting Fluttershy's train of thought. "I mean, the animals aren't hard to watch at all. All they do is just sit there. I may have saved Angel, but you really shouldn't have to look after me just because of that."

Fluttershy opened her mouth to tell Grif that the reason she was letting him stay was because she liked him, but stopped and looked to the table, unable to find the courage to do so. She liked having Grif around, but she wasn't entirely sure that he felt the same way, and she didn't want to ruin their friendship by saying something she'd regret. She then began to think back on all the times he stood up for her and helped her out, despite him considering himself to be the laziest of stallions.

"Maybe I could try to find my own place or something," Grif said finally, making her eyes grow wide.

"You don't have to do that," Fluttershy said quickly.

"Don't worry, I'd just get Simmons to look for me," he chuckled.

"No, I mean... I like having you there. My animal friends are nice, but it's wonderful having somepony to actually talk to."

"Still," he said quietly.

Fluttershy closed her mouth and frowned, not sure what to say.

"But then wouldn't you have to get a job to pay for it?" Tucker asked.

"Shit, hadn't thought of that," Grif grunted reluctantly.

"You know, we could probably get you a job," Rainbow Dash said, laughing as the color drained away from Grif's face. "I guess that's a no, then?"

"Don't even joke about that," Grif shuddered, turning to Fluttershy. "Guess I'm staying with you then."

"Great," Fluttershy said, thankful that he was afraid of labor. "As long as you help me with my animals, I'm fine with you staying at my cottage. Honest."

"Sounds good with me," he said.

"Whelp, I'm going to go get us some more drinks," Tucker muttered, flying out of the booth. "You guys okay with more of these drinks, or do you want something different?"

"I'll stick with these," Fluttershy said, smiling calmly at Tucker before sipping the rest of her third drink.

"You sure? That'll be your fourth one," Rainbow Dash noted seriously. "Those smaller drinks are usually as strong as they are tasty..."

"I don't feel any different," she said, smiling loosely at her friend.

"Alright, be back in a few," Tucker said with a shrug.

"Hang on, I'll come with you," Grif said, flying after him. "I want some more fries!"

PreviousChapters Next