• Published 5th Nov 2012
  • 4,546 Views, 153 Comments

Somehow, I'm Twilight Sparkle. - Full Tome



I'm not sure how, but I just woke up, and I'm Twilight Sparkle. How did this happen? Really.

  • ...
31
 153
 4,546

What does it take?

((Author’s note: This chapter, as will most dream chapters, will be changing perspectives frequently, with no way to tell who is who all the time. Every change of perspective is marked with a “-”. In non-dream chapters, these will be the marks that show personality changes, although, not all personality changes are marked. Thank you for taking your time to read this.))

“Hello?” I call out, looking around what seems to be a library. “Is anypony there?” I wait for a moment, half expecting the silence that answered. “Well, if that’s not the start of a nightmare, I don’t know what is...” I say to myself, laughing at myself.
-

Am I in a library? That’s weird, not even schools have libraries in my dreams, so why would I suddenly be in a full sized library? I’m not much for talking to myself, unlike me, who will do almost anything to have a little fun.
-

“Good, I actually managed to create a bridge I’m comfortable with. Not exactly what I expected, I mean, this place looks to be bigger than the Canterlot Archives, although I’m not partial to the dark cherry that they used for the bookshelves. That said, I should start looking for the universe the princess is in.” I said before I had set off through the labyrinth that had been set before me.
-

Books upon books. That’s not a bad thing, but the only thing that doesn’t seem to remain the same about them is the color of their covers. It’s a fruitless effort to try and guess the color of the next book, not to mention boring, but at least it’s passing the time until I run into someone.
-

“Huh, this library’s books are more like photo albums of my life as I know it.” I said as I flipped through the pages of the eighth book I’d pulled from the shelves. “Psychologically thinking, the books up top are the ones that are hard to get to, considering I’ve got acrophobia, that means they probably hold all the memories I’ve subconsciously decided I should forget...” I theorized aloud.

“Well, who the heck am I to question myself? I’d hate to remember something I’d purposely forgot subconsciously!” I say, bursting into laughter as I put the book onto the shelf and went off down the isle.
-

I’m a little uncertain as to if there’s an end to these bookshelves. They’re a lot taller than I think they should be, considering I’m a pony. The turns are at least logical, as I’ve yet to run into an area where the turns would run into an aisle I’ve already been down.

There hasn’t been any intersections though, so I’m wondering if I’m supposed to keep following the path or turn around. It’s seemed nearly endless so far, and that’s not a good onset for anything.
-

“This place is a lot bigger than I thought, and why do these books seem to hold my memories? That’s weird, it’s like I’m looking through my subconscious...” I said, putting a book back that I had just finished looking through.

None of these books had a title, a date, or even a symbol to mark them. I was beginning to wonder if the only thing that said anything about the books was the color, and if so, what did the colors mean? I’d have to see if I could return at a later date to see if I could figure it out, but I had more pressing matters to attend to.
-

“Why do all the books have to visit all my bad memories?” I asked myself as I continued through the giant library. “Oh, that’s right, I’m an emotionally distant and terrible person whose good memories are far and few between.” I state to the nothingness around me, discluding the library.
-

I’ve finally gotten to somewhere where there’s not books everywhere, but it’s not exactly an improvement considering I still have no idea where I am. There’s seven other paths leading from where I am, discluding the path I just followed. I hear footsteps though, so I figure I should wait for whoever is coming.

They could have directions out of here.
-

“That’s it, I’m done with these books!” I yelled as I slammed the book back into where it was on the shelf. “What’s the point of this place? Do I need to jump into a memory or something? I’m freaking sick of looking through my memories!”

I start storming off, trying to find something better to do with my dream time.
-

“How did you get here?” I hear a voice ask. I turn to look at the source and see my current self sitting down. This situation feels familiar...

“You mean you didn’t have anything to do with this?” I ask, trying to sound like I’m actually surprised.

“What?” The other me says, as if taken off guard by the question.
-

“Wait, you mean you seriously have no idea how I got here?” The other Twilight asks, sounding more genuinely surprised by that fact.

“No, and why do you look like me?” I ask the weird doppelganger.

“Woah, hold on, what do you mean ‘why do you look like me’?” She asks, looking more confused as we trade questions.

Honestly, I don’t blame her; I’m a little confused myself.
-

I can’t honestly remember the last time I was actually angry with myself. Maybe it happened a long time ago... too long ago. How can I not be angry with myself? I’d hurt people in the past, heck, I still hurt people! and chances are, I’m going to hurt people in the future...

“What does it take before it’s just too much?” I ask myself aloud, staring down at my hooves, slowly dragging them across the library’s wooden flooring.
-

“Okay, maybe we should try and get a few things straight.” I said sheepishly, since I had no idea if I was dealing with a changeling. “Who are you?”

“Asher.” My doppelganger said. “And you?”

“Twilight Sparkle.” I said, feeling a little better that the thing that looked like me didn’t try and share my name.
-

All of a sudden, I frown. I’m not even sure what for, but I just know I’m not happy with myself.

“Er, is something wrong, uh, Asher?” Twilight asks.

“Huh? Oh! Er, no, not really, I’m just upset with myself.” I say, trying to brush it off.

“Do you feel like talking about it?”
-

“Not really, I mean, we have more important things to go through right now.” She said.

“Such as?” I ask.

“What do you mean what ‘why do I look like you’?” She asks.

This question is a little unsettling.
-

I hear voices in the distance. That’s weird, they sound like I do. Usually when I have dreams, they’re of importance to the future, but this sounds like a conversation to myself. I’m the only one who does that between myself and I...

I’ll just take a moment to listen to the conversation.
-

“I’m currently in between universes at the moment, so it’s a little unsettling to see something that looks like I do.” I tell my look-alike, hoping she’s not some interdimensional authority.

“In between universes?” She asks, her face looking as if she finds humor in what I just said.

“Er, yes. Why do you ask?” I inquire, not sure if I want to hear the response.

“Because I’m actually dreaming.” She says, sounding as if she’s holding back a laugh.
-

“Dreaming?” She asks, almost as if what I said is ridiculous.

“Yep.” I say as flat as I can, but I can’t help but be amused by what my copy claims. I’ve only ever heard claims so unbelievably wild on shows and in my dreams, so it’s only logical that I’m dreaming where I’m hearing it.

“... Have you heard the name Princess Celestia?”
-

“Have I heard the name? She was in the news about a week ago.” I hear myself say. It’s not like me to hold a conversation without myself, but I guess becoming a Twilight look-alike has done more to that half of me than I thought it might.

Laughable really, but I thought I was stronger.
-

“Heck, she practically was the news.” I finished, trying not to laugh at how obvious my split was being in his attempts to dupe me into thinking this was Twilight.

It would probably be less obvious if she wasn’t so accurate to the show, but I give myself props on remaining detailed.

“Oh, geeze... That spell mentioned something about bodies, but I must have misinterpreted it.” She said.

… Now is about the time I started second guessing things.
-

That didn’t sound like something I would dream about. I stood up and started slowly walking toward the voices, wondering if I’d actually decided to have a normal dream for once. What I seen was actually a shock to me.

There were two other Twilight Sparkles.

I quietly slid over to one of the bookcases and filled my front left foreleg with books. I just decided to stand quietly off to the side for the moment, but rest assured, I’d get them...
-

“I’m going to need to take control of your body, okay?” I said, standing and taking a cautious step forward.

“I’d be willing to-”

“Great, then I’ll just-” I start, only to be cut off.

“No!” I suddenly hear a voice scream over my talking.
-

“I don’t care who you are, you do not cut other people off!” I scream, still ready to throw the books.

“Wait, who are you?” One of the two Twilights asks.

“Asher.” I answer, eyeing the two others to see if I could pierce through the deception with my eyes.
-

“Oh, good, now can you get rid of this illusion so we can get to the usual? I’m kinda tired of this dream.” I say, staring at myself.

“Wait, you didn’t make that?” He asks.

“Wait, how are you here if you’re over there?” Twilight asks, drawing both of my gazes.
-

Suddenly, one of my lookalikes started throwing books at me, yelling “Third consciousness!” while the other just stared curiously.

“What is wrong with you?” I asked once the volley of books has ceased.

“What do you mean by that? You’re the foreign thought process!” The one who was just throwing books at me said. I could probably be safe in the assumption that that’s the reasoning.
-

“Calm down, I’m sure she’s freaking out enough without having to deal with us when we’re angry!” I yell at myself.

“Oh, so now you’re on the side of the person who just tried to shunt us out of our own head?”

“No, I’m just saying lets try to be fair! He seems confused!”

“And why would you say that?”
-

“I’m a female, so you should say ‘she seems confused!’” The new self said.

“… He thinks he’s Twilight Sparkle.” My other self said.

“… What?” I ask, staring at my new personality split.

“Yeah.” My other self replies.
-

“Woah woah woah woah woah, I am not going through another Mario stage in my life! I still haven’t lived that down!” Asher said to… Asher.

“You’re telling me? Dude, I am you! I’ve yet to live it down either!” She yelled back.

“Wait, hold on a minute!” I yell, hoping to stop them before things get more confusing.
-

Cut the music up~

“Wait, what’s that?” ‘Twilight’ Said.

A lil’ louder~

“My alarm.” Myself and I answered in unison. “I swear, if we start doing that, I’m going to punch you!” I yell at myself as he starts dying laughing.

“Alarm? For what?” ‘She’ asks.

Yeah~
-

“To wake up in the mornings...” I say groggily, lifting my head off my pillow a little. “Oh, hey, I’m awake now...” I add. I looked over to where my phone was and seen it where I’d put it nightly.

“Stupid thing.” I say, sliding out of my bed. I tried to stand up only to fall over onto my side in a familiar fashion. “Welp! gravity hates me.” I said, giggling to myself. I look over myself, and then stand up properly. Sadly, I hadn’t dreamed becoming Twilight Sparkle.

That was as real as it got.