• Published 3rd Nov 2012
  • 2,051 Views, 29 Comments

To Hell and Back - CanterlotGuardian

  • ...
6
 29
 2,051

Party!!! (pre-edit version)

To Hell and Back

Chapter 2: Party!!!

Edited by: DJ GarV the Expert

It took them about three hours to get all the storm clouds back to Ponyville, and another hour after that to get them all put into their right places. Finally, after they were done, they flew down to the clearing they'd been in earlier and lay down beside each other on the grass.

Rainbow exhaled deeply. "Next year… I am not procrastinating for as long... as I did this year…"

Fluttershy was still trying to catch her breath. "I've never… worked that hard… in my life…"

Rainbow smiled. "I've worked harder… though not in a very long time."

Suddenly, Fluttershy stood up, shaking off her wings. Rainbow looked at her oddly. "You know… you could just lay here next to me for awhile…"

Fluttershy looked at her sympathetically. "Oh, no, I really can't. See, I never finished telling all my animal friends to start preparing for Storm Day. It starts tomorrow, you know, and if some of them can't prepare because I didn't tell them… Oh, I just don't know what I would do…"

Rainbow just looked at Fluttershy in amazement. She never failed to impress her. "Okay," Dash finally relented. "Go tell all the animals, and we'll meet up later. I have to go set the timer on the clouds so they won't start storming too early."

"Ooh yeah, that does sound like it's important. If you wouldn't mind… I'd like you to show me how that's done someday."

"Sure!" Dash smiled. "I'd love to."

Fluttershy smiled her normal radiant smile, then flew off into the forest.

Rainbow Dash sat up. Just then, she sensed that someone was behind her. She figured it was just Fluttershy, so she didn't even look back before saying, "What happened, did you forget something? Better get it quickly, Fluttershy; you've got a very important job to do."

"Ooh!" said a different voice. "And just what would that be?"

Startled, Rainbow turned to see who was standing behind her, as the voice told her it most certainly was not Fluttershy.

"What on earth…? How did you get behind me? I didn't even hear you come up…"

Pinkie Pie stood grinning behind her. "I walked, silly. It's how I always get around."

"Well never mind that…" Dash stood up, stretching her legs. "And to answer your question, Fluttershy went off to talk to the animals and let them all know about Storm Day tomorrow."

"Oh cool… Wait, is it Storm Day already? You know what that means, right? We have to have our annual Storm Day party tonight!"

Rainbow Dash grinned. For the past few years, Pinkie had thrown an awesome party the day before Storm Day. All of Ponyville got in on the festivities: the Cake family did the catering, the music was provided by Vinyl Scratch – or, as her stage name proclaimed herself to be, DJ Pon-3.

It was all a grand affair, indeed.

"I'm down," Dash replied. "We need to get everyone down to the party spot." Vinyl hosted the party at her house every year; it was much easier for her to do that, then have to lug all her equipment around like she normally had to do when playing a gig.

Pinkie smiled widely. "What are we standing around for, then? Let's go!" Pinkie bounded off in the direction of Ponyville, and Rainbow Dash flew off after her.

Above them, the storm clouds brewed, unchecked by Rainbow Dash's usually-diligent programming.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later that night, the party was going strong. Everyone easily fit into Vinyl's house, thanks to a spell put on the house by Princess Celestia years earlier, that made the inside much larger than what the outside appeared to be able to hold.

Pinkie walked up to Rainbow Dash and Applejack, who were standing by one of the walls and drinking apple cider –provided by Sweet Apple Acres, of course.

"So how's the party?" Pinkie asked animatedly, even more so than usual. This was more due to necessity than anything else, as Vinyl's driving dubstep beats made it impossible for normal inside-voice conversation to be heard.

"Very nice!" Applejack replied. "You always put on the best parties."

Pinkie grinned. "I aim to please. Here, let me get you two some cupcakes!" She bounded off towards the catering table.

Just then, the door opened, then shut again rapidly. A wet form made her way to where the two friends were talking. Rainbow Dash noticed her first.

"What…? Rarity?!"

Rarity shook some excess water off her coat. "Oh, Rainbow Dash… I thought Storm Day wasn't supposed to be until tomorrow…"

"It isn't," Dash replied. "Why are you all wet?"

"Why do you think?" Rarity snapped. "The storm came early!"

All the color drained from Dash's face. "No… That can't be… None of my storms have ever started early…"

"There's a first time for everything, I guess," commented Applejack.

A flash of insight came to Dash's mind, and she took to the air, looking around at all the party guests. A moment later, she slowly floated herself back to the ground, and those looking at her could see that she had tears streaming down her face now.

"What is it?" Rarity asked. "What's wrong?"

Dash's response was almost inaudible: "It's Fluttershy… She's still out there."