• Published 14th Nov 2012
  • 777 Views, 8 Comments

Ashes to Ashes - Ghost Walker



A filly pegasus. A fire. A Dark secret. An encounter that will change the life of one pony forever.

  • ...
 8
 777

Unexpected Meeting

It was just another normal night for Daybreak. He was going for a walk, enjoying the cool, crisp air that the night would bring. Looking up at the starry night to enjoy the beauty of it. It was all going great until he heard what sounded like a faint crying. He walked towards the noise, to see if he could help, and noticed a burnt-orange Pegasus filly with a light pink mane siting alone and against a wall. She looked half starved and was very dirty. Tears were falling down her face and dripping over a half-burnt picture she was holding. Daybreak walked over to her trying his best to comfort the little filly.

“What seems to be wrong?” He asked.

”I’m alone...And it’s my fault...”

“What happened?”

“Celestia damn me why!!” the little filly said, yelling at the sky.

“What happened?” He said again, trying to get an answer from her.

“They’re dead!...In a fire I…I,” She cries harder.

“A…A fire?!”

The little filly continued to cry with coughing mixed in.

“You look like you’re hurt bad. Let me take you to the hospital.”

“No i-i-ill be fine.”

“I'm sorry but I can't leave you in such bad condition.”

“Why I’m *coughing fit* n-n-no. I wont go. I’m fi…”

She collapses to the ground, each breath getting heavier, still holding onto the photo.

He acts fast, “That's it...You need to go to the hospital. Now.” picks her up, places her on his back, and carries her to the hospital.

“Please…I’m…I’m*cough*fine.”

“Everything will be better soon. Just stay with me. Do you have a name?”

“Name? I’m*cough* Ashes.”

“Okay Ashes, my name is Da…”

The filly interrupts, “Daddy. You came back.”

Daybreak stops. “What?”

Ashes slowly moved her hooves around and hugged Daybreak’s neck.

“You came*cough* back for me. *cough* I knew you would”

“She’s getting weaker, getting delusional. I need to hurry,” He thought and started to walk faster. She won’t let go as she starts to shiver wildly.



Daybreak arrives at the hospital. Nurses ask what happened and he tells them what happened. They then take her for medical attention while he waited. She struggles with her meager strength to hold on but can’t.

“No, *cough* Da…”

“Everything will be fine, Trust me.”

It felt like hours pass until a doctor walks the doors and towards him.

“So how is she doctor? Will she be alright?”

“Nothing too major. Just some minor burn marks here and there. The cough is nothing too serious.”

“Thank Celestia.” He said in a sigh of relief.

"There is one thing we noticed though; She is much smaller and lighter than a pony her age should be. We assume she hasn’t eaten in several days. We brought in food for her to eat but she won’t even touch it and keeps asking for her dad. Are you the father?”

“No, I just found here and brought her here. She was a little delusional and though I was here dad on the way over here.”

"Well…as unfortunate as that sounds, she is asking for her father and you were the only pony with here when she came in. I highly recommend that you go see here and maybe convince her to eat.”

“Not sure how much I can do but I’ll try to help.”



They both walk to the room Ashes is kept in. A nurse is near the bed trying to feed Ashes but she keeps pushing the food away.

“I don’t want *cough* any food. I want my daddy.”

The nurse replied, “Dearie, you need to eat so you can gain your strength back. It will make you feel better.”

"Nurse, back up," the doctor ordered.

Daybreak walked in towards her. He motions to the doctor and nurses to leave. They do and shut the door.

“Please eat something.”

She sees him and puts a little smile on her face. “Daddy, you’re here.” She tries to crawl across the bed towards him. Daybreak moves close to the filly. She squirms as she tries to hug him. He gives a hug back and hears Ashes start to cry again.

“Shhh…Everything will be okay now.”

“You…you came looking for me just like you said. I-I’m sorry for everything.”

“Nothing is your fault dear. Now please, eat.”

“O…Okay.”

With his help, she slowly starts to eat the food that was there. It takes her a while; Still weak. After a while, she finishes and gets sleepy. She tugs at Daybreak to hop on the bed. He does and she snuggles up to him.

”I’m glad you’re back dad.”

I’m just glad you’re safe,” he replied while pulling the blanket over her as she shivers. She slowly dozes off.

“This sure has been one interesting and long day,” He thought as he yawns. “I should…get back…home.” He says as he himself starts to doze off.

Daybreak wakes up as the sun starts to shine over the mountains and through the window. He looks down and sees Ashes still asleep. He is able to get loose from her grip and get off the bed without waking the filly, thankfully. She starts to shiver a little so he wrapped her up in the blankets to keep her warm. He stretches his legs and looks around the room. The doctor comes into the room.

"Good morning sir. Hope you slept well."

"Good morning doctor. And sorry about that."

"It's quite alright sir. With the events that happened to you last night, I don't blame you."

"Thanks for letting me stay the night."

"She didn't want you to go."

Daybreak looks at the sleeping filly.

"Well...I just hope she gets better. I just wonder what happened to her."

"Sadly, she hasn't said much. Just wanting her dad, or in this case, you."

"Yea. I still find it weird that she thinks i'm her father."

"The photo she had may explain a lot." the doctor replies as he points at the photo.

He sees the photo she had with her last night laying on the table next to the bed. He goes over to look at the photo. It shows Ashes with her mother and father. The parents are smiling and holding up Ashes in the middle, who has a look of joy on her face. They all seem happy.

As he is looking over the photo, He notices something weird. “Wait a minute…” he said while examining the photo; Looking at the father. “That can’t be."

"You look just like her father in the photo. That's why she calls you dad"

"But that's not me."

"He sure looks like you."

"That's because the pony in the photo is my brother,... Night-breeze."