• Published 4th Jan 2012
  • 1,979 Views, 15 Comments

Colton and Daisy - Allonsbro

  • ...
0
 15
 1,979

Chaper 2: Last Day of Harvest

Chapter 2: Last Harvest

The four went outside and headed to the east of the field. There was still about half of an acre left to do and Colton knew they would probably get it done by shortly after lunch, if not before. They met Blues Noteworthy and Lucky about halfway out. Blues was a blue earth pony stallion with a dark blue mane and tail and two barred eighth notes for a cutie mark. Lucky was a light grey earth pony stallion with a charcoal mane and tail and three, four-leaf clover for a cutie mark. The two of them had been good friends with Colton and Seyval since they were colts.

Berry and Ruby went to the shed to bring out the crusher and set it up for the grapes. Lucky and Blues put on harnesses with baskets attached to them. Seyval and Lucky went to harvest the last of the green grapes. Seyval loved harvesting those. They were, after all, seyval grapes. Colton and Blues went to the other side of the vineyard to harvest the red grapes.

They got to the first row of the day and began harvesting. They began by placing a few buckets around the trellises on which the grapevines grew. Blues placed some buckets around the trellises. Then Colton would gently shake the trellis, causing the clusters to fall. He had been doing this since he was a colt and knew that it had to be done just the right way. If he shook too softly the grapes wouldn’t fall and he would be there all afternoon. If he shook too hard, he could break the trellis. He had tried to teach Applejack how to harvest grapes one year so she could use them for the sisterhooves social. She had broken five trellises that day and finally conceded to let him grow them and donate them to the social. Then Blues changed the buckets as they filled.

“So Colt,” asked Blues, using a nickname he had given him when they were young, “how’re you an’ Daisy doin’?”

“We’re doing well, Blu,” Colton answered with another nickname. “How are you and Miss Brass?”

The Miss Brass he was referring to was Bluenote Brass, Blues’ marefriend. She was a light blue earth pony with a brown mane and tail. She played the sousaphone. How she managed to play was a mystery to Colton.

“We’re good, she left for Canterlot on a full ride scholarship to intern with Octavia. She’s still gonna come to see me on weekends until I can get enough bits to get me an apartment up there. Then I’m gonna find work up there doin’ odd jobs and playin’ my music in the local waterin’ holes.”

“Wow. Sounds like you have it all worked out. I’ll be sorry to see you go when you leave.” Colton was glad for his friend, but he didn’t see the point of leaving Ponyville. He grew up here. Everything he had and everypony he knew was here. He was perfectly content to stay at the vineyard his whole life.

They continued working, talking about this and that until the cart was almost full. Colton was just about to start shaking another vine when Ruby came galloping over to them.

“Colton, can I be the stomper this year? I’m a lot bigger than last year. See, I’ve grown this much,” pleaded the little unicorn, placing her right front hoof atop her horn and holding it out to show how tall she was.

“Hmmm. I don’t know Ruby,” said Colton, deciding to have a little fun with his cousin. “I think you may have gotten a little shorter. What do you think Blues?”

“Oh, no doubt, she’s definitely smaller this year. This little filly hasn’t been eating her alfalfa.” Blues agreed, catching on.

Ruby frowned. “AWWWWW, c’mon Colton, stop teasing me! I can mash. I’ll be a good masher, I promise. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese.”

“What did your mother say?” inquired Colton, knowing Ruby would have asked her mother first.

“We set up the mashers and she went over to get Caramel to tell him that we’re ready for him.”

“Well…” said Colton, placing his hoof under his chin, feigning deep contemplation. Ruby opened her eyes as wide as they would go, stuck out her lower lip and let it tremble a little.

“Oh alright, I guess you’re old enough.”

“YAAAAAAY!!!” exclaimed Ruby, hopping up and down so fast it made Blues’ eyes double in size in awe of her defiance of physics. “IMTHEMASHERIMTHEMASHERIMTHEMASHERIMTHEMASHERIMTHEMASHERIMTHEMASHER!!!!!”

They headed up towards the shed, Blues pulling the cart and Ruby, now short of breath, on Colton’s back. Seyval and Lucky were already there starting to load the big masher. There were two mashers, a larger one and a smaller one. The larger one was operated by pushing four wooden bars around making the machine go around and around to mash the grapes into grape juice. The smaller one was just big enough for a pony to stand in. It was a Vine family tradition to make some of the grape juice by hoof. They loaded up the smaller masher and set Ruby to work squishing the grapes. Then they filled the other masher and began mashing those grapes. The cycle of harvesting and mashing went on for several hours with Colton and Ruby trading places as masher. They finished by midday, leaving two carts full of grape clusters for Berry and Caramel to take to Hoofington.

They all went inside to eat lunch. Colton went into his father’s old study and opened the safe. He counted out enough bits to pay Blues and Lucky for the day’s work and paid them. He even gave a few to Ruby, telling her that she had done well. Her eyes wide with glee, she ran to her room to place them in her piggy bank. Blues and Lucky bid them goodbye and left.

Colton turned to Seyval. “Can you watch Ruby while I go and pick up Daisy?”

“Sure thing, just don’t take too long. I’m going to the club tonight to watch Blues perform and try to cheer Lucky up. He’s been a little depressed since he and Lyra broke up.”

“Alright, I’ll be back before dinner,” said Colton. He opened the door and headed out into the midday sun towards Daisy’s house.