• Published 2nd Nov 2012
  • 1,723 Views, 64 Comments

Was there a memo I didn't get? - Galaneth



Hello, my name is Shane, I'm sure I went to sleep still having hands among other things.

  • ...
2
 64
 1,723

Examination room hijinx!

I think I must have missed something really important, as I was just told by a pegasus that is certainly a female, that I've become the pony that she is. Did me getting sick screw my mentality up that badly?

"Um, say that again, please?" I ask to make sure I heard right.

"I'm the pony you've become!" She repeated a little too cheerfully in my opinion.

That time confirmed that I heard her correctly, so that part is out the window. I just couldn't understand what she was trying to get at, is this some sort of joke that my subconscious decided to play while I slept? A glance at myself confirmed that I still had that pale blue coat, with the orange mane and tail with pale yellow stripes.

"I'm sorry, but that doesn't make any sense, I'm sure you've seen yourself rig...AH!" I said turning back to look at the mare, whom is now close enough for our noses to touch.

"I know what I'm talking about, but it's a bit complicated and will take time, which is something we don't have." She said retaining that same cheerfulness, as I backed away a bit out of reflex.

"So then, what do you intend to explain?" I asked.

"Well, when you stepped into the sunlight, did you feel anything strange? She asked as a bit of her cheerfulness dissipated.

I didn't mention it earlier, but when I walked outside to get in the car, the sunlight did feel a bit odd when I was in it. Though I'm also sick at the time, so I just chalked it up to me feeling weird due to illness. Not to mention how the sensation was weird, but it was also kind of minute, so I didn't think it was worth mentioning.

"I guess I might have felt a little off when I stepped into it, but I'm also ill so I could have just been feeling the aches."

"I see, if that's the case then I guess you don't have anything to worry about." She said now looking thoughtful.

"Wait, what? I don't think I like the way you said that, why would I have to worry?" I questioned.

"It's a little complicated, and... oops! Looks like we've run out of time!" She said, as the darkness around our glowing platform began to light up.

"Um, I don't know if this will be an issue, but if you can try to avoid U...."

"Shane, wake up, we're here." I heard as I slowly returned to being conscious, the memory of the unfinished sentence still fresh in my mind.

The grogginess was still lingering, as I struggled to get out of the car without tasting concrete. I was at least able to get out and onto my hooves, a good amount of the weariness was shaken off by the time we reached the lobby. Enough in fact, that I was able to remember why I was dreading my arrival to this place. There was something a little off about this place though, we must have been here really early, as there's no one in the lobby aside from the receptionist.

"Hello, how may I help you?" She said once she noticed my mom walk up.

"Yes, I have Shane here who's fallen ill, I'd like to get him checked." My mom replied as the receptionist laid eyes on me.

"Okay, could you fill out this form please? We'll be with you as soon as possible." She said handing said form to my mom.

"Uh, mom?" I said as we moved over to the waiting seats.

"What?"

"That didn't strike you as weird, how the receptionist kept on like nothing was wrong?" I said with a feeling of growing paranoia.

Mom sat there for a good few moments looking thoughtful about the subject.

"No, she was just being professional."

I couldn't believe what I heard, does the full gravity of the situation not weigh in on my mother's mentality? That woman behind the counter, just took the fact that a brightly colored equine walked into the lobby in strides! Is there some kind of collective sick joke that is being hid from me for kicks? Maybe I'm over thinking things here, but this is sending red flags and I really don't feel like being here. I couldn't form a plan of escape however, my mentally induced panic had me sitting there in my own world for enough time to pass so they could be ready to see me.

When I arrived into the room to be examined, everything went disturbingly smooth. After being lifted up on a table, things like temperature, eyes, ears, etc, were all checked by the nurse and I was told to wait for the doctor to arrive. Did she have to pick me up without asking? I do have wings, I could have hovered my way on to the table. Her picking me up without question left me feeling awkward and even a little violated. Still, sitting on that cold metal table was really uncomfortable, so I jumped off with a few flaps to ease the landing.

It wasn't long before the door suddenly flew open and in came a blur of black and white. Once the blur found a place somewhere above to hang on, I was able to clearly recognize that I found myself in the presence of the vet's mascot. The lemur known as Zippy, whom is now hanging on a door frame staring at me. I would have felt a little awkward about the whole being stared at, but something took my full attention away as I heard a set of sounds that drew my attention. I'm not sure what it is, but I'm certain it was a clop-clop sort of sound getting closer.

A few seconds later of the sound getting closer, my jaw probably hit the floor as an honest to Celestia unicorn walked into the room.

"Hello, I'm Dr. Reinald, how are you today?" The unicorn, clearly a stallion, sporting a light orange coat with a dark green mane and tail.

I couldn't believe my eyes, so the first thing I did was walk up to the doctor and poke him. After finding out that he was quite solid and very much alive, my brilliant vocabulary came up with only one response.

"Luna's mane, you're real!" Still not entirely believing what I had just said.

"An astute observation you have there, any other thoughts you wish to share?" The doctor stated as our silent observing lemur had found a new perch.

"But you're a unicorn!" I said feeling exasperated.

"And you're a pegasus, you can't tell me you haven't seen the news lately. Can it really be that surprising to see another pony in front of you?" He retorted.

"...Touche, but I woke up in this body today. Also, is it really that unreasonable to see another pony so close to home?"

"Ah, now your confusion makes more sense. I thought by now things would be a little less weird to people, but it seems there are still others that are lost in the current events." He said levitating a pair of glasses to his nose before continuing.

"You see, you're not the first pony that has found their way to this vet with some sort of ailment or other. I've been visited by a handful of other ponies with similar ideas of where to go. While I do have some knowledge of equine anatomy, thanks to my field of study. I simply haven't had enough time to gather the proper information on what medicine I could possibly give to the ponies that come here. That being said, I can only give you the advice a human physician would give in these type of situations." He lectured on for a moment while a pen idly raced across a clipboard held by his magic.

"Let me guess, the usual get plenty of rest and drink plenty of fluids?" I said now a little put off.

"Snarks aside, there's a few other instructions I've taken the liberty write down during our conversation." He said as he tore off the sheet of paper and levitated it towards me.

"They're mainly dietary suggestions that will hopefully be safe for your consumption." He continued as I extended a hoof to accept the sheet of instructions.

I was a little quick to grab it as I touched the unicorns magic aura, causing a very strange feeling to spread over my body. To say the least, it's something I can't describe easily and if I ever get anywhere close to it, I'll let you know. Though I think I'm kinda missing over a very important detail, because once the sensation receded I felt very different. Not to mention that very awkward look I'm receiving from Dr. Reinald.

"Um, is something wrong...? ...What?" I asked as I was met with a very soft, very familiar feminine voice.

The look I was getting from the doctor remained, as an odd mix of worry and confusion began to spread across my mentality. I then slowly looked behind myself to find that my coat had changed to a deep blue, while my mane and tail had followed by turning a silvery white. My cutie mark had also changed, to that emblem of a yellow crescent moon circled by fire that matched my current mane. Slowly I looked back to the doctor and opened my mouth for one thing to come out.

"Do you have a mirror near by?" I said with a shiver to my voice.

Luckily enough, there did happen to be a mirror on the shelf of the sink in the room. Dr. Reinald stood there for a moment as if he was presented with something from another planet. After a few moments of very awkward eye contact, he levitated the mirror on the shelf to me while keeping a bit of distance. Once I got a view of myself, I felt like I was run through with a bolt of electricity. Staring back at me is now the same mare I had encountered in my dream on the way to the vet.

".....What?"