• Published 1st Nov 2012
  • 8,790 Views, 91 Comments

Out in the Cold - EsperDerek



Haunted by her past, Trixie returns to the scene of her greatest defeat. Can she find a new path?

  • ...
17
 91
 8,790

Reaching Midnight

Part 1: Dawn

The rays of the sun flowed down on the small town of Ponyville, as the morning entered into full blossom. Ponies of all stripes were slowly starting to rouse from their slumbers, and in the tree-building that was Ponyville's library, the Great and Powerful Trixie was one of them.

Trixie let out a happy little moan, as she slowly drifted into the waking world, for she felt the comfortable weight of a lovely pony nuzzled up against her back, cuddled close to her, the pony's warm breath teasing nicely against the back of her neck. Trixie kept her eyes closed, just soaking in the physical sensations, a smile spreading across her face. It was time to face another lovely day.

It had been months since Trixie's rather... spectacular Canterlot performance, and to say that life was going well for her would be an understatement. The last time she had been this honestly happy was when her mother was still alive, back when she was just a little filly. Her performances brought in packed houses every night, as word of her performance at Canterlot had spread. She was even getting offers to perform in other cities, but she had yet to take any of them up on their offer. She had to admit that she was a little reluctant to leave Ponyville, because it felt, well, like home. The first true home that she had in so very long. All of her friends were here, the friends that she had never had before. Of course, she seemed to be getting involved in more adventures than ever before, but it was worth it. Especially considering the pony snuggled up against her back, who was the largest reason for her happiness. The relationship between Trixie and Twilight was coming into its own ever since Celestia gave her blessings, and Trixie now was having a hard time to believe that she had ever tried to deny what she felt for the studious pony.

Trixie smiled blissfully, and her ears twitched, as she heard sudden clattering in the room. She slowly opened her eyes, about to scold Spike gently about making noise so early in the morning. She blinked wearily, and confusion spread across her face, as she saw Twilight standing in front of the bedroom mirror, combing at the bed hair that she really did have a cute tendency to get. Trixie frowned. That couldn't be right, Twilight should still be in bed, she could feel her weight against her. Trixie blinked a couple of times, trying to coat the fuzz out of her eyes, and then gave herself a sharp poke to one of her forelegs, to ensure that she wasn't dreaming one of the dreams her overactive subconscious had a tendency to give her.

Thus, she determined that a) she was awake, and thus this wasn't a dream, and b) Trixie wasn't seeing things, it really was Twilight was standing at the mirror. The unicorns head tilted slightly, as if seeing something in the mirror, and glanced back at Trixie. She seemed to have an odd blush on her face, the one Trixie recognized from whenever she gave Twilight flowers during her performances.

"T-Twilight?" Trixie murmured, confused and sleepy. She lifted her head slightly, feeling the other "Twilight" nuzzle against her, trying to keep Trixie from moving so much.

"Good morning, Great and Powerful Trixie," Twilight said, her formally arrogant nickname now Twilight's pet name for the blue unicorn. "You look as confused as I was when I woke up. Well, here..." Twilight walked over to the bed, gently nudging Trixie, getting the confused magician to crane her head, to look behind her as best she could. Her eyes widened.

The pony snuggled against her back, breathing so nicely against her neck, was a cute, midnight blue pony, her horn nestled against the pillow, her wings wrapped against Trixie. She was slumbering deeply, a pony whose day was night, and night was day.

And that was when Trixie remembered last night.
• • •

"That was another great show, oh Great and Powerful Trixie!" Twilight said as the two mares trotted home. Trixie's hat was perched on her head, and yet another bunch of flowers was being carried. "Although, you keep giving me flowers, I think there's getting to be an awful lot of jealous ponies in Ponyville." Trixie puffed up her chest with pride.

"Well, of course. I am the most beautiful pony in all of Equestria, after all," Trixie said, jokingly prideful. "There are only a few select ponies that could possibly match her enough to be her mate." She pressed up against Twilight, their muzzles meeting, starting to kiss with one another, as they reached the door to the library.

"Is Trixie getting an ego again?" Twilight murmured, their horns caressing one another, their magic starting to sparkle, caressing and stroking over each others' bodies, starting to reach the secret areas that they had discovered on each other. So involved with one another, they didn't notice that the door to the library, that had been locked when they left, no longer was.

"Maybe... maybe I need to be taught another lesson..." Trixie said with a giggle. They slipped into the library, their bodies growing warmer, their breathing heavier...

"I'm sorry, am I interrupting something?" a playful voice called out. With loud gasps, the two unicorns tore themselves away from each other. Brilliant red blushes washed over their faces, and they looked at the pony that had intruded on them.

"P-Princess Luna?!" Trixie gasped, looking at the Princess of the Moon, who had settled on a seat, clearly have been waiting for them. A book was perched on the table next to her. She frowned slightly.

"I believe that's 'teacher' to you. Or 'beloved teacher' works just as well," Luna gently scolded her 'student'. Twilight stepped forward.

"What has brought you to Ponyville, Princess? We weren't aware that you were going to visit..."

"That's because this is a surprise visit, Twilight, dear. I've come because I need to scold my student, she's been very bad." Trixie blinked, and looked very confused.

"What are you talking about, ah, teacher? I've sent you more letters than Twilight sends Celestia, because you've been insisting," she protested. Luna simply lifted the book that was on the table. The two ponies squirmed, their embarrassment growing, as they recognized the distinct cover of the book.

"I gave you this, and expected you to bring me your findings on it. You haven't done that yet, Trixie..." Princess Luna scolded, but there was an odd look in her eyes. Trixie, in her embarrassment, was having a hard time placing it.

"T-teacher, that book... you can't be serious, w-what you want is incredibly private! You can't expect me to wr-write about things like that. I mean, its between Twilight and me..." Trixie squirmed hard, not noticing that Twilight was looking at Luna's expression with interest.

"But, I'm your teacher..." Luna said, and her head seemed to be tilting down slightly, an d Trixie recognized that her eyes were growing downcast. Trixie blinked in surprise.

"Teacher?"

"I'm sorry..." Princess Luna whispered softly. "This was foolish of me." Her body shifted, starting to stand.

"You want to know what it's like," Twilight announced, interrupting the conversation between teacher and student. "You've never experienced it before, have you? Not just that... but the feelings that go along with it." Luna shifted from hoof to hoof, and Trixie looked concernedly at her teacher.

"...No..." Luna finally managed to whisper out.

"Would you like to?" Those words got both Luna and Trixie just looking at Twilight.

"T-Twilight?" Trixie questioned, and Twilight looked at her mate gently.

"If it weren't for her, we probably wouldn't have the happiness we have now, right?" she reasoned. "So... why can't we share it with her, even for only a night, so she knows what it is?" Trixie closed her eyes, and then smiled softly. It was true, they owed the Princess of the Moon a great deal. Not only for their happiness, but how Trixie learned of her mother's own, a story that had been lost. She just nodded softly, smiling at Twilight.

"Trixie? T-Twilight?" Luna murmured, her eyes wide. She let out a gasp, as the two unicorns' horns glowed, and their magic wrapped around the Princess, drawing her close to their warm bodies, their heads nuzzling at the shocked, shivering Luna, who pressed against them, the two lovers beginning to teach the lonely Princess.

The Book got a lot of use that night.
• • •

"I can barely believe that we did that." Trixie let out a soft, embarrassed groan, as she remembered their actions of the previous night. She looked at Twilight, slowly trying to extract herself from the cuddling, slumbering Luna.

"She just looked so lonely at that point. It sort of reminded me of you, Trixie, when you came back to Ponyville," Twilight said, laughing softly. "Besides... it wasn't bad, was it?" Trixie paused for a moment, thinking, and then shook her head, a smile spreading across her face.

"No, it really wasn't..." Trixie shifted slightly, and winced, as the Princess cuddled against her moved just enough to start to wake her. Princess Luna let out a soft groan, her body beginning to move. Her head raised slightly, her eyes blearily looking out into the bright room.

"Who's waking me..." She let out a gasp, as the Princess realized where she was, who she was with, and what they had done. "Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh..."

"Rainbow Dash did that when she met the Wonderbolts for the first time," Twilight pointed out, clearly amused. Trixie grinned at her flushed teacher.

"Was that enough of a report for you, my beloved teacher?" the blue unicorn said teasingly, nuzzling at her. Luna let out a happy whimper, and nodded fiercely. Trixie grinned with pride, finally having an advantage over the mischievous Princess of the Moon.

"Than-thank you." A brilliant smile spread across her face, and the tired Luna quivered with delight as Twilight joined in, rubbing at the other side of her face. "I-I don't expect this again. I just wanted to know what it was like, just this once..."

"Oh, silly Luna... I'm sure there are plenty of ponies who would like to be with you. You'll find someone just for you..." Twilight reassured the pony. Luna nodded, her smile bright across her face, and laid back, her eyes starting to close, as the sleepiness started to claim her again.

"Thank you..." she murmured, as Trixie pulled out of the bed, looking down at the slumbering Princess. She chuckled softly, and then looked at Twilight.

"So, are you going to write to Princess Celestia about this?" Twilight blinked, and shook her head fiercely.

"N-no, I think she can stay in the dark about this one... as you said last night, this sort of thing is incredibly private, right?"

"Chicken."

"Yes, absolutely." The two ponies laughed together, as they left to face their day, leaving the sleeping Princess to her happy dreams.



Part 2: Noon

Trixie hated doctors. She hated clinics, hospitals, waiting rooms, and hospital beds. The smell of disinfectant and the sterilized, blank walls. She hated everything to do with the medical profession. She had ever since spending long, long hours with her dying mother, as doctors and nurses fruitlessly pursued treatment after treatment, trying-and failing-to discover the source of the disease that wasted away at her, sapping her spirit and ravaging her body. She never, ever wanted to deal with the medical profession again, to the point where, during her convalescence, when one of her wounds wasn't healing right, and Twilight had suggested taking her to the hospital, she nearly had a panic attack at the thought.

So, if Trixie hated dealing with anything medical so much, why was she spending a fine mid-day sitting in Ponyville's clinic, getting poked and prodded by an unfamiliar nurse, as opposed to having lunch with her girlfriend, having adventures with her friends, or even just working on her show?

The guilt-trip of her love, of course.

It had been a few weeks since Twilight and Trixie's little... encounter... with Princess Luna. Luna had left in the evening, and ever since then, the two unicorns had been getting almost constant letters from her. The experience that she had with the two seemed to have broken a barrier for Luna, as she actively wrote about her social experiences, and her romantic attempts. She had even asked the two for advice, which was rather hard, considering both Twilight and Trixie had, in truth, little experience in the world of dating and romance, apart from what had brought them together. In return, however, Luna had been progressing as an actual teacher, giving Trixie eager advice on her magic and performances, which Trixie quite happily embraced.

Apart from the shift in Princess Luna, life had been progressing normally. Well, as normal as one gets in the town of Ponyville. But over the past few weeks, Trixie had been feeling... well, not quite right. Actually, she had been feeling ill. At first she put it down to a simple bug, but hadn't let up for a few weeks now. Her stomach often rebelled at her, especially when eating some foods with strong aromas. She was feeling incredibly worn out, to the point where she actually had to cancel one of her shows, which was the first time since her coming-back party that she had done such a thing. But what scared her the worst was the dizzy spells, because she vividly remembered one of Midnight's first symptoms was the same thing. It was when Trixie admitted this to Twilight was when the purple pony had finally put her hoof down, and insisted that she go to the clinic. Trixie had tried to protest, but she wasn't having any of it, and the unicorn could be spectacularly stubborn when she wanted to be.

Trixie just wished that her appointment hadn't coincided with a conference that Twilight had to attend about her research.

Trixie's attention was caught as the white pony, her flank emblazoned with a distinct red cross, finally stopped examining her. She indicated Trixie should sit down, and the worried unicorn gratefully did, sitting on the other side of the desk, the pony who had been examining her having the oddest look on her face...

"Well, Miss Trixie, I believe congratulations are in order," she began. Trixie blinked.

"Congratulations? Wait, there's nothing wrong with me? Then why am I feeling like this?"

"I can assure you, while the symptoms might seem a little frightening, the cause is much more benign. Miss Trixie, you're with foal. Congratulations," the nurse offered, smiling happily. Trixie looked at her, baffled and sceptical.

"I think I want another opinion."

"May I ask why?"

"Because... because I can't possibly be like that! It's impossible!" Trixie protested. The nurse reached out, and gently touched her hoof.

"Now, now, I know you're scared, but it's a joyous occasion. Who is the stallion, may I ask?"

"No... no, you don't understand, it's impossible," Trixie protested. It was the nurse's turn to look confused. Unbelievable, had she found the only person in Ponyville that didn't know? "Have you been to one of my shows?"

"Oh, yes! You really are spectacular. My own fillies love you," the nurse exclaimed. "But I don't see how that explains that you can't be with foal."

"Do you know who always gets the flowers in my show?"

"Oh, yes, Twilight Sparkle! She was such a great help during the 'Baked Bads' incident," the nurse pony said in recognition. "She always has this cute look on her face when you give her those flowers, like... oh..." Comprehension spread across her face.

"Yeah."

"But..." The nurse tilted her head, and the look on her face clearly showed that she thought Trixie was hiding something. "Oh, dear, if you cheated on Twilight with a stallion, you're just going to have to..."

"I didn't cheat on Twilight!" Trixie yelled, starting to breathe heavily. "I haven't even ever been with a stall-"

Three giggling, playing ponies, heady with desire.

"H-hey, Twilight, check this spell out."

"Oh?"

"Ever wonder how the other side lives?"

A flash of magic.

"Oh Celestia."
• • •

Twilight sighed softly, as she opened the door to the library. That meeting had taken far too long, and she had missed Trixie's appointment. It had been on her mind all day, that worry in the pit of her stomach that something terrible was wrong. She knew Trixie's mother had died of some terrible aliment, and the sheer thought of the same thing happening to the blue unicorn made her innards twist in fear.

As Twilight stepped into the library, she knew something was wrong right away. The shades to each window had been closed, casting the library into darkness. She trotted slowly, a curious expression on her face.

"Trixie? Spike?" she called out.

"Twilight, over here!" Spike's voice called out from the back of the room. Tripping over a stool in the darkness, Twilight winced slightly, wringing her leg out, before finally meeting the baby dragon near a table.

"Spike, what's going on? Why is it so dark in here?"

"I don't know, ask your girlfriend," Spike said in irritation. "It's been like this since I got home too."

"Trixie? Where is she?" In response to that question, Spike simply pointed under the table. Twilight frowned, and knelt down, peering under it. Twilight gasped. The blue unicorn was curled up, hiding underneath the table. She looked very pale, and her body was quivering with fright. That worry in the pit of Twilight's stomach suddenly filled her entire body.

"H-hi, Twilight..." The magical pony began, almost cowering from Twilight. "N-nice day, huh?"

"W-what did the doctor say?" Twilight asked, her head sticking in under the table, trying to nuzzle at the frightened Trixie.

"Well, it's good news. I'm not sick," Trixie whispered, and that got Twilight very confused. She looked baffled at Trixie, trying to parse how the good news that she had gotten from the doctor would somehow equal hiding underneath a table, doing her best Fluttershy impression.

"Not sick? Well, that's great! But... then why are you hiding?" Trixie sank even deeper, and looked nervously away from Twilight.

"Well, you see... I'm... pregnant."

"What?"

"I'm pregnant," Trixie repeated, acting more and more like the custard-pelted pegasus. Twilight sighed, putting a hoof to her head.

"Didn't quite catch that." Trixie's eye twitched softly, and took in a deep breath.

"I'M PREGNANT!" she yelled, her eyes wide. Twilight gasped softly. Spike's eyes widen, and he looked at an invisible watch.

"Well, look at the time, I wonder what AppleBloomisdoingI'mgoingbyenow!" With that, the dragon boy fled from the awkward scene.

"What? But, that's..." Twilight said, her brain trying to process the information.

"Remember the night with Luna? The spell I cast on you?"

Suddenly hiding underneath the table was looking like an appetizing option.

"Y-you mean... I'm..." Twilight sputtered, and Trixie reached out with a hoof, stroking along one of her forelegs.

"Congratulations, dad." Twilight shivered, and felt a little dizzy. But it was odd, while the fear and shock was certainly raging through her, there was another emotion, a happiness that burned deep within her. She slipped under the table, snuggling up against the quivering blue unicorn, nuzzling against her. They laid like that, together, quiet, for a long time. It was Twilight that finally broke the silence.

"What do you think about all this, Trixie?" Twilight whispered softly, and a slight smile spread across her face. The surprising happiness was starting to beat the fear. "I know it's completely unexpected, but it's not bad, is it?" Trixie looked silently into space for a moment.

"I'm scared..." she finally admitted.

"Well, it's okay to be scared, I'm scared too, but..."

"N-no! It's not like that. Not at all..." Trixie said, and turned to look Twilight in the eye. Twilight could see the instinctual fear in her love's eyes. "What if... what if I die? What if we both die? What if sh-she or he is left all alone?"

Twilight closed her eyes, getting the idea. But she shook her head hard.

"If something happens, by some terrible chance we both are lost, she won't be all alone. I promise."

"What do you mean?" Trixie said, unbelieving, but Twilight kissed Trixie's cheek lovingly.

"If we're both gone, she'll still have all our friends. There will still be the Princesses, and everypony else in Ponyville." She smiled. "She'll be surrounded by people who love and care for her, I promise." Trixie looked down for a moment, and then raised her head, hope starting to dawn in her eyes. She nodded softly, rubbing the tears out of her eyes, and leaned tightly against Twilight.

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie won't die anyways. Now, she just has a better reason no to." Trixie grinned weakly at Twilight, and the two mares started to giggle with delight. They slowly began to extract themselves out from the table, Trixie standing unsteadily, but looking much better.

"I think we scared Spike there," Trixie commented, as she pulled open the blinds, sunlight filling the room once again.

"Oh, he'll get over it. We should go out to celebrate. This is something TO celebrate, right?" Twilight asked tentatively. Trixie stopped for a moment, and then a bright smile spread across her face. She nodded firmly.

"Absolutely." Trixie's horn glowed, and the front door opened. The two unicorns started to leave... only to come nose to nose with a pink-pelted earth pony, her eyes starry.

"You're pregnant! Oh my, this calls for a party! I have to get streamers and cupcakes! Ooh, have you decided on a name yet? 'Pinkie Pie' is a great name! You should name her after me! Oh, oh, oh, there needs to be cake at the party and I need to get some balloons and... I can can be 'Auntie Pinkie'! It'll be great!" Pinkie Pie continued on like this, and Twilight grinned, looking at Trixie.

"You see? She won't be short of people who love her."

"She may get too much love around Pinkie Pie," Trixie replied, returning the grin as well. They laughed together, as they stepped out into the afternoon sun.



Part 3: Evening

The sun was starting to dip in the sky, and it was packing down time for Apple Farms stall in Ponyville's marketplace. It was going a little quicker this time than normal, however, as magic grasped hold of the baskets of apples, starting to load them onto the wagon.

"Really, sugarcube, are you sure you're up ta this?" The cowboy hat wearing pony asked. "Ah wouldn't want to hear scoldin' from Twilight 'bout me pushin' you so hard when you're so close to... ya know."

Trixie, Applejack's companion, let out a soft sigh, and looked at Applejack.

"What Twilight doesn't know about won't hurt her. Besides, I'm not able to perform, and I'm bored! I have to do something."

"Ah never really took you for a workin' pony, though."

"Who do you think pulled my cart when I was travelling? The Great and Powerful Trixie wasn't a stranger to hard work, she just didn't like it very much," Trixie muttered softly, as she loaded another basket onto the wagon. "Besides, it's not like I'm incapable of doing a little magic in my state."

The Great and Powerful Trixie was just feeling Great and Big right now. Nine months of pregnancy would do that. She winced, as a pang of pain and pressure ran through her body, not for the first time today. Applejack glanced at the wincing Trixie, and then glared at her sternly.

"Alright, darlin', that's enough now. You go an' sit down." Trixie was about to protest, but her body was screaming that would be a very good idea right now. She trotted over, sinking gratefully into a patch of grass, and watched as Applejack continued to set down. Her front hoof instinctively moved to her swollen body, and her eyes closed. Perhaps the most frustrating part of her entire situation was how occasionally useless that she felt. She had been forced to give up performing a couple of months ago, when the effort, both physical and magical, had grown too much for her to manage. Twilight had assured her that her main job was taking care of the foal inside her, but it was still frustrating.

Trixie smiled slightly, as she felt the foal inside her shift. She had to admit that the rest of it had been worth it. While she still occasionally had a pang of that old fear, the excitement and... love... that she felt towards the pony inside her seemed to be overwhelming everything else. Also, being waited over, mouth over hoof, by Twilight wasn't exactly terrible either, even if the purple pony was getting a little overprotective as the months went on. The sheer amount of books that Twilight had collected on the subject of pregnancy and parenthood was truly stunning, and Trixie had caught her on more than one occasion reading deep into the night. Trixie winced as another pang rocked through her, centred on her lower body. It had been going on all afternoon, but they seemed to be coming quicker and quicker, almost like...

Oh dear.

"A-Applejack?" Trixie called out, and the orange pony looked at the settled blue unicorn, whose eyes were wide with shock.

"What's wrong, sugarcube?"

"I think I need to go to the clinic... I think it might... you know, be time."

"Oh, horse apples."
• • •

"Dear Princess Celestia, I have... No... Dear Princess Celestia, I am writing to report my latest findings on the... no, that's... agh!" Twilight crumpled up the scroll, and tossed it hard against the wall. She slumped, her head hitting her writing table. She could barely concentrate on her studies for the past few weeks, and it was getting worse with every day of anticipation. She was just thankful that Princess Celestia seemed to understand the situation, although there was that letter gently scolding the two for not being more careful with magic of that nature. They still hadn't told Celestia about the third partner in that fateful night, but it was beginning to dawn on Twilight that Celestia probably had guessed by now. Twilight groaned softly, putting her hooves over her head, trying to enjoy the brief moment of silence.

That was immediately interrupted by a spectacular crash behind her. She bolted straight up, and looked behind her. A rainbow-maned pegasus had flown through the open window, and managed to crash herself into one of the bookshelves, scattering books everywhere. Twilight scowled.

"Rainbow Dash! What are you doing? I just sorted through those!" Twilight exclaimed in exasperation, starting to pick up the books. Dash bolted up, and flew to Twilight, grabbing a hold of her and starting to pull her off the ground! Twilight yelped, letting go of the books, and squirming in Dashes grip. "Dash!"

"There's no time! Stop struggling, or I'm going to crash again!" Dash protested, as they zipped out of the window, Twilight's legs kicking as she was rather frighteningly high off the ground.

"Dash, what are you doing, let me go!" Twilight realized the ramifications of what she just said. "Let me go ON THE GROUND!"

"Applejack told me to get you to the clinic as quickly as possible! Trixie's having the kid!" Dash said, her forelegs hooking tightly around Twilight, keeping the unicorn tightly in place. Twilight's eyes widened.

"Go faster!"

"Heh, I thought you'd never ask!"

One very short, but very stomach-churning trip later, Twilight was bursting through the doors of the clinic, and immediately confronted the rather surprised receptionist. Dash trotted in after her, rather surprised at Twilight's land speed when she was motivated.

"Where is Trixie? Has she had the foal yet? Tell me!" The receptionist coughed slightly, and regained her composure.

"You must be Twilight. She only really just started having noticeable contractions, it's still going to be several hours yet. If you'll follow me..."

"Oh... right, of course. I knew that." Twilight blushed, looking embarrassed, as she began to follow the receptionist. She DID know that, but the had let her panic and excitement momentarily get a hold of her senses. It was only a few moments until she arrived at Trixie's bedside, who still had Applejack beside her, comfortingly. As soon as Twilight got there, the two unicorns embraced, and Trixie blushed slightly.

"So, are you ready for this?" Trixie murmured, looking lovingly at Twilight. Her body shivered, as another contraction raced through her.

"No, absolutely not." Twilight laughed.

"Hey, you're not the one who's going to be doing this!" Trixie scolded, and then put on a face of mock arrogance. "Of course, it falls to the Great and Powerful Trixie to be doing all the hard work. Just more proof of her innate superiority over the accursed Twilight Sparkle!" Twilight rolled her eyes.

"Can we call it even for the whole Ursa Minor thing?" she asked, kissing at Trixie's cheek.

"Yes... well... the Great and Powerful Trixie is willing to accept that compromise. Just as long as Twilight Sparkle doesn't leave her side throughout any of this..." Trixie smiled gently. "Or ever, for that matter." Twilight nodded, resting her head against Trixie's.

"I think that's a fair deal."
• • •

"THIS ISN'T A FAIR DEAL AT ALL!" Trixie screamed, her eyes wide. It had been several tiring, contraction-filled hours, the evening lapsing deep into Luna's night. But it was close now, very close. "I want more benefits on my side! Ahh-ah-ah... oh Celestiaaaa!"

"Just a little more, Trixie! You can do it! You're the Great and Powerful Trixie, remember? This isn't anything!" Twilight encouraged, staying close to the panting blue unicorn. The nurse was giving directions, but those were lost, background noise.

"I want... dinner every night for a year! And... and... aahh! And hoof rubs whenever I ask for them! GAAHH! Forget it! I'll face the Ursa Minor! You can have this foal now!" Trixie let out another squeal, clenching her eyes shut. She could feel it, just a little more...

A cry pierced the room, a young voice making its first noise, mingling with the chime of a distant clock. Twilight's eyes widened, as the nurse pony began to clean a small, squirming form.

"It's a filly... congratulations," the nurse said as she wrapped the small form in a blanket, tenderly giving it to Twilight. Trixie, despite her exhaustion, slowly pushed herself up, leaning against Twilight and peered down at the blanket.

Two cute, lavender eyes peered back up at them, a light purple muzzle making soft, squeaking, happy noises as she beheld her parents for the first time. Trixie rubbed her eyes, barely believing, tears of happiness streaming down her cheeks. She looked over at Twilight, who had much the same expression.

"So... what should her name be?" Trixie whispered, her breathing deep, as she tried to recover from the exhaustion that seeped through her body, tempered only by the love that had ignited through her. Her own little family...

"Well, it's obvious, isn't it?" Twilight returned. "There's only one name that would fit."

"Which is..." Trixie asked, as Twilight slid slightly into the small bed with her, that young foal snuggled between them.

"Midnight. Her name is Midnight."

Trixie's face lit up, and she nodded softly, pressing herself tightly against her strange, but beautiful family, the door bursting open as their friends rushed to congratulate them, and their new happiness.

"I think that's perfect."

Comments ( 61 )

Cool, I remember this one. An excellent story.

This... is the first FIM fic I read. And probably the best Twixie one of them all. So much good here... :trixieshiftleft:

At long last it's on FimFiction. You rock woohoo :yay:

Sees title : sounds familiar

Sees name final chapter : O right that fanfic xD

Same as striker this one of the first real fanfics I have ever read xD

And Midnight is born. Sorry, Nyx, but Midnight trumps you hooves down. :rainbowwild:

Damn... I might read this every day again. :trixieshiftleft::twilightsmile:

Ohh i remember this story, wow have it been so long sense it where published?
I it feels like i read it just a few days ago but then again its one of the best twixie fics i have read.
Oh yea for the ones who just found this fic there are some side stories of this fic focusing around midnight

Shades of Midnight
and
Moonlight Over Midnight
im pretty sure there is a 3rd one as well but i cant remember it for the life of me

Enjoy

Oh cool! I remeber reading this, it was one of my favorites. And it's on this site now.
I can't wait to read this again. :pinkiehappy:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! This indeed calls for a party. But I request more info. To many things that gone unanswered.

1548772

I may be wrong, but I belive if you find this on Equstria Daliy, there are a couple of sequels made by different authers.

This story is so very good. It actually had me tearing up at several points. This is a really top notch story. Great job.

Oh my god yes. This is the story that got me into pony fiction.

Sounds like a classic Twixie story that I need to read. Faved for later.

It's about time!:pinkiehappy:
I was wondering when this story was going to show on this site.:rainbowdetermined2:

If there isn't a sequel someone dies

1550785

You're not wrong with your criticism, as that was a complaint ponies had when I first let the story out, and it's a problem I have with the story now. If I were writing the story now, I would certainly have expanded on things before the kiss. My only defense is that I was a novice writer at the time, and the first part was only ever meant to be the only part, and I wanted it to end on a feel good note.

As it is, chalk it up to 'Sometimes ponies, they do the crazy things'. :raritywink:

I will say, too, I'm working on trying to get into contact with the various pony authors who wrote sequels to this story that were included in canon, so I can get them up here for all to see as well. :twilightsmile:

That was fun.

I'm so glad to see this on fimfiction. I've read it on fanfiction but I'm glad its here. Good story by the way. Maybe it was on Google Docs

Hoooo yeah. The story that was the catalyst of Twixie shipping for me. Upped and faved, and I'm probably going to have to read it again later.

Ah yes, I remember this story... one of the first Twixie fics I ever read and thoroughly loved. <3 So good to see it finally made it here. :3 This is one of the stories that both really got me into fanfics in general, as well as shipping, and specifically a Twixie fan.

i doubt im the first to say this but im gonna cry. this is simply amazing so touching and...gah i love you for making this!!! 10 out of 10 perfect. pure and simple!!!!!....sorry for excesive use of exclamation point

Beautiful. This was an amazingly beautiful chapter. Hell, I loved the whole series. I just have to wonder, is Luna with foal also?:derpytongue2:
In any case, this was a wonderful series.

One thing, Midnight Sparkle. That is all.

cool story i really like the ending but i do have one gripe, a ponies pregnancy cycle lasts 11 months not 9

You. You....You wonderful bastard.

How is this rated E when it's a threesome fic? Reporting this garbage. Hope it gets taken down.

Just reported this, you miserable fuck. Hope you get banned. :rainbowlaugh:

To people reading this, the author is a liar. He rates it as E with Twilight/Trixie, but it ends in a threesome and adult content. Warning you now before you get disappointed because of this asshole. I'm getting everyone I know to report this and have it removed.

1645212

Thank you for alerting me to this! You're absolutely right, it was a mistake on my part due to my unfamiliarity with the system, it does need to be Teen. Which I have just changed the story rating to. I hope that you can find something else to do with your time. Please stand down from high alert.

Have a good day now!

It's very hard to compare different stories, but if I had to rate every single pony fic I've read, Out in the Cold and Midnight series would definitely take a spot in my personal top 3. And Midnight is without a doubt the best OC.

Thank you for publishing this story in a place where I can like and favorite it once again! :twilightblush::trixieshiftright:

Loved it! A big joyous yeah!:yay:
Good job! I prefer Twiluna, but this is the best Twixie I've ever read.:twilightblush::trixieshiftleft::trixieshiftright::twilightsmile:

9 months...?

Not 11 months...?

Trixie's having the kid!

*foal

Great story. I don't car eabout your lack of ponification of everything. The story didn't need bizarrely specific horse facts. It was a really awesome story.

I read this back when it was first posted on EqD. It was one of the first I had ever read, along with Dawn of a New Day. I still only read a few here or there that really catch my eye, but I've always remembered this one. I even printed it out so I could re-read it again when I was away from my computer. I've only just now started writing myself. I doubt it will be anything as legendary as this masterpiece though.

Manly tears were shed :eeyup:

...That...was..beautiful. you have to writ a sequel. u just hav to.

the threesome kinda kills the romance for me, but otherwise awesome story. And nice touch that magically-futa Twilight is a daddy :rainbowlaugh:

Goddessdammit! The feels, the FEELS! :twilightsmile:

1654787
Don't worry too much about that yahoo. He did the same thing to my story, then when I asked for clarification, he ripped on me. I think he's a 4channer looking to stir up trouble, but he's so bad and obvious at it, that he just ends up looking stupid. I just checked his profile, and he hasn't even been back in 14 weeks. Guess he got bored and moved on. :rainbowlaugh:

Anywho, this was a pretty nice story here. Some grammatical mistakes and misused words were sprinkled here and there (especially in the first two chapters), but nothing too egregious. It could benefit from a little more build up to the confession, but as it is, it can stand on its own legs. :twilightsmile:

This was one of the first fics I read. It's one of the reasons I kept on reading, I wanted to see more talent like this. Thank you for helping to introduce me to this world of wonderful authors.

Now this was a great fic, I always love finding someone who can write a great Twixie. Beautifully done, thank you for sharing.

I´m just gonna say three words! AWESOME TWIXIE FIC!!! :twilightsmile:

I don't usually care that much for shipfics, but this was a very sweet story.

Oh, and the Luna threesome at the end was hilarious.

Nice work for a short little romance. And it was pretty funny at times too.

I see what you did there with the last chapter :D Awesome fic. Loved it.

1549543 I was all teary eyed too. Cute story:twilightsmile:

Twi and Trix having a baby :pinkiegasp: Now that was a twist worth waiting for:pinkiehappy:

i hate to ask this but i want more about twi and trixie and midnight is there any more out there or no.:pinkiesad2:

Login or register to comment