• Published 4th Jan 2012
  • 5,875 Views, 76 Comments

Brotherly Bond - Crash Jet



Pipsqueak remembers his most beloved family member... and the tragic feeling of knowing he's gone...

  • ...
8
 76
 5,875

Chapter 5

Brotherly Bond

Chapter 5

“I-It’s this way… it has to be…” Scootaloo said as she led the foals in their speedy trek through the Whitetail Wood. Knowing that their pursuers would no doubt still want to find them, they decided the only course of action left was to get back to Ponyville and find help.

“We’ve been going this way for a while now!” Apple Bloom said, occasionally looking behind her back. “Ah don’t think we’re any closer to Ponyville!”

“We have to be! I just know it! A-At least… I think I know it!”

Pipsqueak looked around him. Trees, and more trees, maybe a bush now and then, but still he saw trees. He and the Cutie Mark Crusaders were desperately trying to find the way back to Ponyville. Back to the safety of their hometown and away from the danger of the pack of wolves chasing after them. He thought they had at least lost them at some point in the forest. The howling had ceased and with the exception of the ponies’ hooves beating against the soft grass, all was quiet.

The Whitetail Wood may not have been as dangerous as the Everfree Forest. But at night, just as dark, and to a lost pony, just as scary.

Scootaloo started to slow down. All the running had taken a toll on her, as well as the others. With no sign of the wolves in sight, they figured it was safe, at least for that moment. “Okay… let’s just… take a breather…” She panted slightly.

“E-Everything looks the same…” Sweetie Belle whimpered out. “It-It’s like a maze! I want to go home!”

“Calm down, Sweetie Belle!” Scootaloo looked at her. “We all want to go home… but we won’t get anywhere by panicking.”

“Staying calm hasn’t helped either!” She cried out.

“Shhhh!” Apple Bloom said, pressing a hoof against Sweetie Belle’s mouth. “We don’t want those wolves to hear us…”

“I think we ditched them a while ago.” Scootaloo informed the ponies. “They’re probably just as lost as we are…”

Pipsqueak shivered a little. It was the early autumn months, but it seemed that the cold was coming earlier than expected.

“Are ya okay, Pipsqueak?” Apple Bloom looked at him with concern in her eyes.

“Y-yeah…” He nodded. “Just a little cold…”

“Me too…” She frowned. “Ah had no idea the woods were this frightenin’ at night… what if… what if we never get home?”

Pipsqueak had that thought too. Ever since he started to notice the seemingly endless trees, he questioned on whether getting home was a possibility. “W-We’ll be okay…” He whispered quietly, although he wasn’t sure if he was trying to convince Apple Bloom or himself. “We’ll find our way home… y-you’ll see…”

Apple Bloom nodded as she let out a brief smile. Brief because she noticed something in the darkness just behind Pipsqueak. “P-Pipsqueak!”

Pipsqueak turned and faced the darkness, seeing two very beady, very threatening yellow eyes glaring at him. The pair was joined by another set, followed by another, until finally three sharp rows of teeth appeared.

“They found us!” Pipsqueak shouted in alarm. “Run!

All four ponies started to scream as they ran forth, the wolves jumping out and snapping their teeth at them. “Grr…” Nate grinned malicious as he watched them run. “They’re scared… I can smell them a mile away… dinner will be served soon…”

Pipsqueak and his friends continued racing through the forest. Knowing how close the wolves were, they were using all the speed and breath they had left to escape. Every moment seemed more and more hopeless for them. No end of the forest was in sight.

“Where is it?! Where is it?!” Scootaloo shrieked, referring to their hometown. “Somepony! Help!” Suddenly, her hoof caught a tree root and she felt herself propel forward. “Ahh!” She hit the ground hard, letting out a pained cry.

“Scootaloo!” Sweetie Belle shouted as she dashed to her side.

Apple Bloom wasn’t too far behind and ran to her other side, trying to help her back to her hooves. “Ya have to get up! We can’t stop now!”

“I… I can’t… run anymore…” Scootaloo said, tears coming from her eyes. Every muscle in her legs was sore. She just couldn’t find the strength to move them another step. “I can’t…!”

“You have too!” Sweetie Belle pleaded. “We’re not going to leave you behind!”

Pipsqueak stopped before them, panting and watching the scene in silence. Had she given up? And what about the other two? He knew they would never leave her to those wolves. What about himself? Was he willing to keep running to save himself?

“Pipsqueak!” Apple Bloom looked over at him. “You can still make it! Run!”

“I… I…” Pipsqueak was panting, exhausted from all the exertion. He knew that he could keep running and maybe even have a chance. It was probably his last chance to safety. “I… I won’t!” He shouted firmly. “I’m not leaving without all of you!”

“… Pipsqueak…” Apple Bloom whispered. Her eyes widened in fear. “N-No!”

Pipsqueak spun around and saw the three wolves approaching slowly. Their low, satisfied growls escaped their gnashed smirks as they were perched in a hostile stance. They stopped and observed the frightened foals, finding amusement in their predicament.

“I never had to work so hard for a meal…” Nate said with a low laugh. “I must be so hungry…”

Apple Bloom closed her eyes and wrapped Scootaloo in a tight hug. “Ah… Ah’m gonna miss y'all…”

“Me too…” Sweetie Belle said as she followed suit, tears peeking out of tightly shut eyes. “C-C-Cutie Mark Crusaders…”

“Cutie Mark… Crusaders…” Scootaloo was the last to close her eyes. All three had succumbed to the fear and were now left with the tension of waiting for the end.

“Adorable…” Nate licked his slobbering lips greedily. “Now who wants to be first? How about you, small fry?” He looked over at Pipsqueak, who was now ducking down with his fore hooves over his head, shaking violently.

“I-I-I want… P-Patch…” He whimpered out as he started to cry. “I… I want… Patch…”

“Look at that, boys!” Nate said as he laughed wickedly. “He’s crying! He’s so scared he can’t stop crying!”

While the other two wolves were initially hesitant of joining along, they soon started to laugh as well. The laughter grew louder until it was to the point of uproarious. The sound seemed to pierce Pipsqueak’s ears. He wished it would stop. He was being laughed at like he was just an amusing toy. He just wanted it to be over.

Then, all was silent around him.

“… Pip…”

“W-What?” He shot his eyes open.

“Pip!”

“W-Who’s there…?” He said with a quiet weep.

“You can’t let them do this! You need to stand up to them!”

That voice.

“B-But… they’re bigger than me… a-and scary… and I’m… I’m…!”

“You’re small… I know that, Pip! But that doesn’t matter right now! You need to stand!”

“No!” He shouted out. “I-I can’t!”

“Yes you can! You have to! You don’t any other choice right now! I’ve always said you’re stronger than you think you are, because it’s true!”

"... P-Patch?"

“There are times when you need to stand up for yourself… and this is one of those times… look behind you…”

Pipsqueak turned his head slightly and looked over. He saw Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo… all huddled close together and whimpering quietly.

“You’re not just standing up for yourself… you’re standing up for them as well. Those fillies gave you their friendship… they gave you comfort… and now… you need to give them something in return…”

“W-What is that?”

“A chance for all of you to escape… Pip… stand up…”

Pipsqueak waited a moment. Should he trust this voice? He looked up at the wolf, who was still biding his time as he stopped laughing. Slowly, Pipsqueak rose to his hooves, standing, albeit shakily.

“What the?” Nate let out a snarl. “The little crybaby wants to be a little hero now… take a break, boys… I want the first bite…”

“Just wait a moment, Pip… I’ll tell you what you need to do… I’m not going to leave you until it’s all over. I promise…”

“O-Okay…” He nodded slightly, the tears now slowing down.

With a loud growl, Nate charged forth, ready to strike.

“Just a little longer…”

Pipsqueak could see wolf’s eyes clearly, and every last one of his teeth as he opened his mouth wide.

Pipsqueak!” Apple Bloom screamed in terror as her eyes shot open.

“Now! Give him a good buck in the jaw!”

Pipsqueak quickly turned around. “Ahh!” Using all the strength he had, he shot his back legs up in a buck, praying they would hit their mark.

And did it ever.

Ow!” Nate was practically knocked off his paws as he fell onto his back, holding his aching jaw in pain. “Ow! Ow...! Y-You little ru-Ow!

“I-I did it…” Pipsqueak said in disbelief. “B-But how?”

“Strong back-legs run in the family, Pip… well… on mum’s side at least…”

Barnes snapped his teeth as he let out a low growl. “Let’s see you try that stuff on me! Ragh!” He jumped forward, attempting to pounce on the colt.

Pipsqueak spun around and let out a frightened yelp. “Ah!”

“Just take a big step to your left, Pip.”

Pipsqueak did as ordered and quickly jumped to the left, missing Barnes as the wolf slammed face-first into the hard ground.

“Gah!” The wolf said as he lifted his head, dazed from the impact. “Argh…

“Now it’s my turn!” The last wolf, Cletus ran up to Pipsqueak and swung a clawed paw at his head.

“Duck down.”

Pipsqueak nimbly lowered his head and body into a crouch, dodging the paw completely. Barnes, however, felt the full force of the attack on his own head and yelped in pain.

Hey!” Barnes snapped at Cletus. “What’s the big idea hitting me like that?!”

“S-Sorry!” Cletus snarled out. “You got in the way!”

“I’ll show you getting in the way!” Barnes threw his own paw at Cletus’ nose. After a quick yip from the struck wolf, both snarled and snapped at each other as they started to fight.

Pipsqueak backed away from the tussle, not wanting to be a part of it. He looked over and saw the first wolf getting back to his feet, apparently recovered from the strong buck.

“Grrrrrrr… you little…” Nate gritted his teeth and glared at the colt. “I’m gonna get you this time!” He reared back and pounced forward.

“He’s jumped too high to get you… just run underneath him.”

Pipsqueak nodded and charged ahead. Just as the voice said, he easily ran underneath the wolf and was safely behind him.

Nate landed on his feet and looked over. “I missed?!” Suddenly, he felt something bite at his leg. “Yeow! What the?!” Soon, a paw slapped him in the face, followed by a good snap on the ear. He had been involuntarily dragged into Barnes’ and Cletus’ battle.

“Now’s your chance, Pip. Go to your friends and keep running the way you were going. I’ll guide you.”

“Uh… o-okay…!” He ran over to the Cutie Mark Crusaders, who had witnessed the entire event in awed silence. “A-Are you all okay?”

“Y-Yeah…” Scootaloo spoke up. “That was… awesome!” She said with an excited smile. “You really taught those stupid fur balls a lesson or two!”

“We have to keep running! J-Just follow me!” Pipsqueak said with a little determination. “I think I can get us home!”

“Right behind ya, Pipsqueak!” Apple Bloom nodded. “Are ya okay to run now, Scootaloo?”

“I think so… I think I’ll be fine…” Scootaloo said as she got back to her hooves. “Let’s move!”

“Lead the way, Pipsqueak!” Sweetie Belle chirped. With that, the four resumed their escape, leaving the wolves in their ongoing fight.

After a while, the wolves’ battle ceased, with Nate’s back leg trapped in Barnes’ teeth and his neck locked in Cletus' fangs. With a loud snarl, he shook both wolves off him and gave them each a well-deserved slap on the nose. “They’re getting away! We can still catch them! C’mon!”

With a new-found fury, the wolf pack resumed their chase. The foals may have had a good head start, but it wouldn’t last for long.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A little bit further… now take a left.”

Pipsqueak was leading the ponies through the woods, following the directions given to him by the voice without a moment’s hesitation. They were no longer running as fast as before, making sure not to overexert Scootaloo’s still sore leg muscles.

“Alright… you’re about to come up to a rock. Stick to the right of it and keep going.”

“We’re going past the right side of that rock!” Pipsqueak announced to the fillies.

“Okay, Pipsqueak!” Apple Bloom nodded. “Ah think we can make it… we’re goin’ home!”

Pipsqueak nodded. “We have to be almost there!”

“Pip… it’s not going to be that easy…”

“Huh? B-But you said you’d guide us home…” He said softly. The three fillies looked at him, puzzled.

“Who are you talking to, Pipsqueak?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“You mean you don’t hear him?”

“Who?

“I can only show you the way… the rest of the work will be up to you. Just don’t be afraid… okay, Pip?”

“Afraid of what?” Pipsqueak whispered. Suddenly, he brought himself to an abrupt stop, the fillies screeching to a halt as well. They saw what the voice was warning Pipsqueak about.

Before the ponies was a river. A wide river, its current traveling fast, its source no doubt coming from a waterfall some distance away. It would be impossible to swim across without being swept away. Pipsqueak saw no shallow part to it, nor an end to the flow. All he saw was the rickety rope bridge that stood feebly before him. With several planks missing, the ropes old and rotted, and the structure having seen Celestia knows how many years of disrepair, it seemed like their luck had run out.

“M-Maybe…” Sweetie Belle said meekly. “Maybe if we go one at a time…”

“There’s no way that thing can support even one pony!” Scootaloo protested. “We have to find another way across!”

“But we might not have time!” Apple Bloom frowned. “Who knows how close those wolves could be!”

“Pip… all four of you can cross it together…”

“What?!” Pipsqueak exclaimed loudly. “B-But… it can’t be strong enough for all of us!”

“If you go carefully, but quickly… you all will make it across… I wouldn’t have brought you here if I didn’t think you could do it…”

“T-There has to be another way…”

“I wish there was… by the time you find one, it’ll be too late. The wolves are getting closer. It’s now or never… please Pip… trust me…”

Pipsqueak shook a little as he looked at the bridge once again. His entire body was full of fear knowing that one wrong step would be the end of the bridge, and him and his friends. His head told him no. His nerves told him no.

Yet his heart was saying otherwise.

“W-W-We have to cross…” He announced to his friends. “… Together…”

“What!?” A collective shock was among the crusaders.

“You can’t be serious!” Scootaloo argued. “What makes you think that thing can hold all four of us!?”

“I… I don’t know…” Pipsqueak closed his eyes. “I just know that right now… it’s our only hope…”

“It’s hopeless then!” Scootaloo shouted at him. “No matter what you say… we can’t cross it!”

“…” Pipsqueak walked forward, placing a hoof on the first bridge plank. As he predicted, it shook and creaked. The sound made him let out a panicked yelp.

“Don’t do it, Pipsqueak!” Apple Bloom yelled.

After a moment, he continued on, taking a step onto the next plank, and then the next, and then the next. With all four hooves on the bridge, he looked over at the crusaders. “W-We can do this… if we go carefully enough… we’re all going home… I… I promise…”

Sweetie Belle looked at the bridge with concerned eyes. She let a small whimper and approached it, setting hoof on it. After a little hesitation, she started to walk atop the planks, slowly and careful not to make any sudden movements. “I… I trust you, Pipsqueak…”

Scootaloo glanced at Apple Bloom, then at the bridge. Despite every last part of her screaming it was a bad idea, she took the step. After the initial shake, she took the next step and was finally crossing the bridge as well. “Me too, Pipsqueak… c’mon Apple Bloom!”

Apple Bloom was the only one left. She was also the one who was the most frightened. She feared that her simply stepping onto the bridge would break its fragile hold. For a while, she debated with herself on whether or not to attempt it. It wasn’t until she saw her friends waiting for her that she knew what had to be done. She cautiously walked forth and stepped onto the bridge. She quickly stepped back. “A-Ah can’t!”

“Apple Bloom!” Pipsqueak shouted. “We’re not leaving without you! You can do this!”

Apple Bloom looked right at Pipsqueak, the fear on her face evident. Gritting her teeth and practically shutting her eyes, she took the step and began the treacherous trip.

Pipsqueak looked forward. “Everypony… just keep it slow…” He resumed crossing, the creaking sounds answering each step. His stomach in knots and heart beating a mile a minute, he remained as careful as he possibly could.

“That’s it, kiddo… just keep it slow and steady…”

This voice he kept hearing, that only he could hear. Somehow it gave him the confidence to continue. “W-We’re doing okay so far…” He looked behind him, seeing the three scared fillies also doing their best to keep going forward. “T-That’s it, guys… j-just a bit further…”

The trek seemed like it would go on forever. However, Pipsqueak felt his hoof hit solid ground. It was the other side of the river. He fought the urge to simply jump across, knowing that it could endanger his friends. He stepped onto the stable ground and watched as the crusaders were getting closer to the end as well.

Sweetie Belle was the first of the fillies to make it, breathing a breath of relief as she stepped off the last plank. Scootaloo would be next, closing her eyes and panting as she tried to bring her heartbeats back to a normal rate. That just left Apple Bloom.

Apple Bloom was taking the most time out of the four, her fear keeping her pace slow. She glanced down at the river below and froze. “Ahh…

The howls from the distance signified that the wolves were close.

“The wolves!” Scootaloo shouted. “Apple Bloom!”

Apple Bloom panicked and took an immediate step onto the next plank. The plank behind her let out a sudden creak, followed by a loud snap as it broke beneath of hooves. “Ahh!” She let out a scream as she felt herself falling off the bridge. She used her fore legs to latch onto the plank before her, holding on with all her might. The rest of her body was attempting to drag her down into the river below. “No!

Apple Bloom!” Without a second thought, Pipsqueak stepped back onto the bridge, racing over to her as carefully as he could. He held out his own fore legs and wrapped them around hers, grunting as he tried to pull her back up. “H-Hold on, Apple Bloom!”

“Apple Bloom! Pipsqueak!” Both Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo called out, watching the scene in pure terror.

“Pipsqueak!” Apple Bloom looked up at him, eyes soaked with tears. “A-Ah can’t get back on! Go save yerself and the others!”

“Ahh…!” Pipsqueak reared his body back as he kept his hold on her legs. He felt himself making no progress whatsoever. “I won’t let you fall! We’re ALL going home!”

Pipsqueak legs were beginning to feel numb. He knew he had exhausted every last bit of his strength and the best he could do at that moment was keep her from falling. But that wasn’t enough for him. He wanted to pull her up. He wanted her on the other side with the others. He wanted to save her.

Slowly, the numbness started to fade. He felt something new, like another set of hooves pressing gently against his. He opened his eyes to see what it was he was feeling. Nothing. There was nothing there, yet he could still feel it.

“You can do this, Pip… I’m right here with you… use everything you have left to pull her up…”

“…” Pipsqueak let out a small nod and pulled harder. Whatever it was he felt seemed to be giving him strength. With all the effort he could give, he pulled Apple Bloom back onto the plank, holding her close.

“He did it!” Scootaloo exclaimed. “Hurry back over here, guys!”

“It’ll be alright, Apple Bloom…” Pipsqueak told her gently, feeling just how shaken up she was after the ordeal. “I’ll stay close to you…”

Apple Bloom let out a sniffle as she nodded. “Right…”

The two ponies resumed their crossing of the bridge, thankful the safety of the end was not too far. After a few more steps, they made it to the ground and stepped off the bridge. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo quickly ran over to them.

“I can’t believe it!” Scootaloo said. “You’re both safe!”

Apple Bloom immediately wrapped up Pipsqueak in a tight and thankful hug, the colt blushing slightly. “Y-You saved mah life!” She sobbed.

“Not yet!” Sweetie Belle cried out, pointing to the other side of the river. “They’re coming!”

The three wolves were racing towards the river, a fiery rage burning in their eyes. “If those foals can do it, we can too!” Nate barked out. “Let’s go!” Without even slowing down, they all started to cross the bridge.

Pipsqueak’s eyes widened as he saw the wolves get midway across.

“It’s okay, Pip… they can’t hunt you anymore…”

As if on cue, the brittle ropes on the ponies’ side snapped, no longer able to keep the bridge over the water. The wolves let out panicked howls as they fell into the cold river, frantically trying to swim out as the current swept them away. Soon, they were out of sight and their howls faded into the distance. As the voice had said, they could no longer hunt the foals.

“Talk about a lucky break…” Scootaloo sighed in relief. “They’re finally gone for good…”

“Yeah…” Sweetie Belle nodded. “Do you know the rest of the way home, Pipsqueak?”

“…Um…” Pipsqueak looked away. He was unsure where to go from here. But the corner of his eye caught something. Rather it was somepony.

Standing a few yards away was what Pipsqueak thought was a pony, a stallion to be exact. However, he seemed transparent and had a strange pale light around him.

Pipsqueak glanced over at the form in shock. “Guys… do you see that…?”

“See what?” Sweetie Belle looked over. She saw nothing out of the usual. “I don’t see anything…”

“Me neither.” Scootaloo shook her head.

“Is something the matter, Pipsqueak?” Apple Bloom walked over to Pipsqueak. He already knew that she couldn’t see the stallion either.

Without a word, the stallion started to slowly walk ahead. His steps left no sound, nor disturb the grass beneath his hooves.

“…E-Everything’s fine… I think… I think I know the rest of the way home…” Pipsqueak walked ahead, intent on following the spirit to wherever it was going. The fillies remained close to him, following along.

Pipsqueak knew that by following whatever it was that he was seeing, they were sure to make it back to Ponyville.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“… Pip? Are you awake, kiddo?” It was the last night of Patch and Pipsqueak’s camping trip. Princess Luna’s stars shined in the dark sky while her moon loomed peacefully amongst them. Patch was relaxing atop a blanket he laid out for himself and his younger brother. He looked down at the colt, who was comfortably curled up close to his fore hooves. Pipsqueak’s eyes were shut and his chest was slowly rising and lowering, showing the stallion that his brother had fallen asleep.

“…” Patch gently rubbed the colt’s head, careful not to disturb his slumber. “…Pip… I know that when I come home, I always talk about how great it feels being in the Royal Guard... and I really do think it’s a wonderful experience in my life… but there will always be one thing that tops that… one thing that I know can never be outdone…” He gave a slight smile as he pulled his hoof away from the colt’s head. “And that’s having you as my little brother…”

Patch lowered his head slightly and started to frown. “When we get home… I have something I need to tell you and mum and dad… something I know you won’t like… and it really upsets me too.” He glanced up at the moon, admiring it for a brief moment. “… I have to go away for a while… I found out about my orders before I came home. I knew that I would have to deploy one day… but so soon… and while you’re still growing up… it… it really hurts me, Pip…”

“Knowing that I’ll be missing a full year of being with you…” He continued, his voice filled with sadness that he normally would try to hide. “So much could happen that I won’t be able to witness. By the time I get home, you could very well not even need me around anymore… you’ll be building your own campfires, telling new friends the stories I shared with you, showing them all you know about the stars and the constellations... You’ll be your own pony, Pip. But I’ve always known that would happen. When I look at you… I see a colt who will grow up into a strong stallion.”

“You’re going to do so many outstanding things, things that I could never accomplish. You’ll be earning your cutie mark and showing all of Equestria just how great you are. And one day… you’ll meet that special girl who you’ll gladly give your love to… and she’ll give hers back to you. If I was to miss seeing all that…” He stopped momentarily to allow a small tear to escape his eye.

“Pip… no matter what happens… you will always be the most important pony in my heart. Nopony can or will take your place. Thank you so much for being a part of my life… and letting me be a part of yours...” He closed his eyes and lowered his head to Pipsqueak’s, nuzzling his brother gently. “I love you, baby bro…”

Pipsqueak shook his body a little, but was still deep in his slumber. After a few moments, he let out a whimper and said in a quiet whisper. “I love you too… Patch…”

Patch smiled once more and lowered his head to the ground. The two brothers remained close to each other as the stallion slowly drifted to sleep.

Patch continued to make his way through the Whitetail Wood, knowing that his brother was close behind along with his new friends. He had no idea what strange phenomenon had brought him there, whether by magic, fate, or something else. All he knew was the moment he heard Pipsqueak saying his name, he understood why he was there.

A smile formed on his face as he continued on. He had no idea what would come next after they made it to Ponyville, but all that mattered to him was that Pipsqueak was safe.

He looked ahead, seeing that soon his task would be complete. He stopped and simply stood still, closing his eyes. He felt his spectral body start to fade away. Soon, he would be as he was for the past year. Simply a memory.

“Huh? Wait!” Pipsqueak cried out as he raced forward. “Don’t go! Don’t go!”

Patch’s form had completely vanished just before Pipsqueak could make it to him. Pipsqueak was standing where the stallion stood moments ago, a small hill overlooking Ponyville. The sight of the town was well welcomed by the colt, yet it was not enough to bring forth a smile.

“I… I didn’t get a chance to thank you…” Pipsqueak whispered to himself sadly, unsure if the spirit could hear him.

“Look! It’s Ponyville!” He heard Scootaloo exclaim excitedly. “We made it!”

Pipsqueak looked over and saw the three fillies rush over to him, smiling huge grins. “You did it, Pipsqueak! You got us all home!” Sweetie Belle chirped.

“Yeah… I guess I did…” He nodded.

“Pipsqueak?” Apple Bloom walked over and looked at him in the eyes. “What’s the matter? You should be proud of yerself…”

“I… I saw him, Apple Bloom…”

“Saw who?” Scootaloo asked.

“…Patch… it was like he was here… He told me how to take on those wolves… guided me to the bridge and to Ponyville… and I felt him when I was pulling Apple Bloom back onto the bridge. I even saw him just now… then he vanished… I know it was him…”

“But there’s no way…” Scootaloo shook her head. “We didn’t hear or see a thing… how come you did?”

“…” Apple Bloom smiled slightly. “Ah think Ah know what happened…”

“Huh?” Sweetie Belle looked at her, confused. “What happened?”

“Well… Granny Smith always says that ones we love don’t really go away when they leave us… they stay… here…” She placed a hoof on Pipsqueak’s chest, where his heart was. He looked at her in stunned silence. “You had Patch in yer heart the entire time… so it was like he was really there… helping you…”

Pipsqueak looked at her and smiled a little. “Y-You think that really did happen?”

“Argh!” Scootaloo groaned and stuck out her tongue. “That’s enough sappiness for today! Who knows what really happened back there? All I know is that Pipsqueak…” She grinned. “Was really awesome! Like… almost Rainbow Dash level of awesome!”

“You’re a real hero Pipsqueak!” Sweetie Belle beamed. “We’re proud to call you a crusader!”

“Crusader? Really?” He said, blushing a little from all the praise.

“Ya bet!” Apple Bloom nodded. “Ya are one of us now!”

Scootaloo let out a sigh. “And after all that… none of us got a cutie mark… but I did get a wicked costume idea for Nightmare Night!”

“Yeah… the camping trip was sorta a bust…” Sweetie Belle agreed.

“Well… it’s not that late…” Pipsqueak spoke up. “Maybe my parents will let us finish the camping trip in my backyard.”

“That sounds way safer!” Apple Bloom nodded. “Let’s get goin’ Crusaders!”

The ponies all started to rush towards the town, laughing and cheering along the way. Pipsqueak trailed behind, but suddenly stopped as he reached the bottom of the hill. He felt a familiar hoof rubbing his mane. One that he knew well.

He spun around and looked up. Standing before him with a huge grin was the spirit who remained with him throughout the ordeal, his older brother Patch.

Pipsqueak stared up at him in awe for a few moments, before a smile formed on his face. “Patch… I knew it was you… thank you… for everything!”

“I’m so proud of you, Pip…” Patch said in a gentle voice. “Don’t worry… I’ll be watching over you…”

Pipsqueak felt tears building up as he prepared for what would be the final thing he would get to say to his brother. “I… I love you…”

Patch nodded as his grin softened to a warm smile. “I love you too… take care… baby bro…” Patch slowly turned and started to walk off; his form vanishing under the light of the full moon.

Comments ( 33 )

manly tears were shed, an excellent chapter
i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb317/Lord_of_Change/real-men-cry-1.jpg

I'm also annoyed that despite me clicking 5 stars, that it somehow drops from 4.8 to 4.7... dumb math. You got 5 from me even if the website says otherwise :twilightsheepish:

So much dawwww. :pinkiesad2::fluttershysad:

:pinkiecrazy: Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssss
27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpurtdoyed1qg0isio1_500.png
:moustache: please keep up the good work my good sir.

even "MAN TEARS" cannot describe how good this fic is. I applaud you sir/madam

Wonderful story, really well written and executed.:heart:

Excuse me for a second... :fluttercry:

Thank you for this chapter I really mean that. I was in somewhat of a quitter's slump earlier, and then I read this. This completely 180ed all of that pessimism and now I just want to create. Thanks for this.

133481 You'll see it quite a bit then I'm afraid... I tried to catch the Apple Family dialect into this fic, and up until now I never used the words "ya'll" or "y'all" in any form of writing. I'll be brushing up on other fics before I start the next one to get a better idea of how it should be typed in situations like this. Glad you're enjoying it! Thanks for the comment! :twilightsmile:

That was a beautiful story. You really expanded on Pip's back story and family, which was amazing to read. The whole tale was tragic, sweet, and wonderful to read. I'm still amazed as I type this. Seriously, 4/5 stars - 5/5 if you go back and fix some of the problems. This has honestly been the closest to tears a story has brought me too in a long time. Just incredible. I'll look forward to seeing this on EQD.

137572 I am in the process of getting this on EQD and had a pre-reader help me out with some suggestions of how to correct my work. I just finished fixing up the story a bit so hopefully it won't be long until it'll be on their website!

This is the most I have cried in years... Not lying... And I can't tell if it is from sadness or happiness or the bittersweet taste of bittersweetness...

I don't know why and I don't know how, but someone fics just don't seem to get man tears out of me, though this one came close.

No, I'm not lying. Stop looking at me like that :ajbemused:

xD j/k

You did a really awesome job here. I hope you keep writing, you've got talent! :pinkiehappy:

Manly tears.

They have been shed.:pinkiesad2:

That was stupendous.:yay:

I didn't cry during My Little Dashie. I cried during this. Congrats.

That was pretty awesome internal angst and coming of age right there. Bravo. :scootangel:

That said... I kinda feel like the "ghost/memory of Patch" was overplayed. Less is often more, and I think one or two key moments where the ghost helped would have been a more powerful story - because Pip could look back later and realize he'd done something amazing, just like Patch knew he could. As it stands, his overreliance on the ghost makes the coming of age diluted.

But overall... :pinkiehappy:

Well dayumn! :heart:

I know I cried when he was telling Apple Bloom about when they found out about Patch. Ah, the heroic sacrifice. Nothing more noble, and nothing more heart-wrenching. Beautiful piece.

DAWWWWWWWWWWWWW
That was amazign :yay: yay!

I do think you overdid Patch ex machina by quite a bit, and it downplays both Pip's heroism and, more importantly, his loss. Pip had spent enough time with his brother that he could believably have navigated for himself, and adrenaline is a hell of a thing in a fight. The guardian angel thing is often best told delicately and ambiguously, and if you want to drive home that that's indeed what it was, one subtle and quick but impossible thing at the very end of the crisis (like, while pulling Apple Bloom up he looks past her, sees little pirate ships floating past in the river, and then feels the pull) and nothing afterward.

And furthermore, I'm in agreement with whoever said the wolves attacking at all was kind of unnecessary in the first place.

Oh, and about the "y'all" thing. "Y'all" being used for one person isn't technically correct, but from what I've met of my mother's side of the family it actually does pop up in the dialect. It's a conventionally-occurring error about on the same level as "ain't never" meaning the opposite of what was intended. It's a judgment call based on the inflection of the sentence.

Writing an accent really is a lot more complex than people give it credit for :)

This was beautiful :fluttercry:! Excellent writing and great character development with Pip! This story kinda reminds me of that movie with Zac Efron where his little brother dies and he talks to his spirit...
Anyway great story and I can't wait for another chapter if you decide to write one!

Excellent story.
Only things I would complain about is Scootaloo's characterization.
You made her a little too mean and also the one to trip should have been Sweetie Belle not her.
Also didn't like the idea of Pip being the same age, just a runt. He should have been at LEAST a year younger.

Amazing work. Truly beautiful. I liked the gentle hint of the strong friendship to come between Apple Bloom and Pip.

Once again, awesome story!

P.S. You know what would be cool? Some sort of adult-Pip/Apple Bloom ship as a continuation of the story of Apple Bloom and Pip's friendship. I'll bet nopony's done that before. With how well this was writen, I'm sure it would be AWESOME. Just a suggestion.

manly tears have been shred throughout this story, which was by the way read in one night.
Loved the story and will give it a 5 star!
keep up the great work!:coolphoto:

This actually pretty good story. I kinda wish I know more about Pips brother how he died and all. That really the main reason why I wanted to read this. I know he was deploy but I would like to know details of his death. But o well nice work.

Is it me... or is the room suddenly very trashy in the air?... Whats this in my eye?... I feel.. water...

*Celestia/Luna/God/Etc.* That, my dear pony, is what we call TEARS...
Congratulations sir, you actually got me to shed tears! :pinkiesad2:

If I could favourite this five times, I would. This made me bawl more than any other fic has.

Hey Crash jet, loved the story so much I drew fanart for it. I forgot what colours shield was.

I un-favorited... so i could favorite it again. I honostly have not been this sad in years. Excellent work. Thank you

Consarnit! You made me sniffle... That was a really lovely piece.

Beautiful.... And so sad... :applecry::fluttercry::pinkiesad2:

Fuller review here, but in brief: a real shame that a potentially moving look at sibling bereavement (something I've been through in RL) is badly let down by its final chapter, which gives Pip so little opportunity to move on in his own right. The talking wolves are... odd. But the canon chimera has a similar personality, so I can't really complain. Not sure why Scootaloo had to be made so obnoxious, though.

This was great! It was sad and exciting and sweet at the same time. :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment