• Published 2nd Nov 2012
  • 46,126 Views, 2,235 Comments

An Affliction of the Heart - Anonymous Pegasus



Can a creature that feeds on love ever feel it?

  • ...
90
 2,235
 46,126

Friends

“Your wings are so soft,” Kuno murmured as she snuggled up to Warden’s back, rubbing her face against his feathers.

Warden’s eyes fluttered open, and he made an indistinct sound as he stirred, coming back to consciousness.

Kuno hummed quite happily, rubbing her cheek against the upper half of one of the pegasus’ wings. “I’ve never felt them without fur in the way, even when they were attached to me.”

“Why are you molesting my wings?” Warden asked groggily.

“Soft,” Kuno repeated with a giggle. “I woke up and they were right there in my face. What was I supposed to do?”

A single grunt answered her, and she snorted once in response, nudging the pegasus between the wings with her nose. “Not a morning pony?”

Warden shifted slightly, and then rubbed a hoof against his face slowly. “I love mornings,” the pegasus mumbled. “I just wish they’d arrive later in my day.”

“Oh wow, last time I heard that, I laughed so hard I fell off my ziggurat,” Kuno said with a slow shake of her head.

“It’s morning,” Warden protested, rolling over to face her. His nose bumped against her own, and he flushed slightly, drawing back to hoof’s length, blinking at her. “Go back to sleep.”

“But I’m not tired any more,” Kuno stated, tilting her head slightly and raising a brow at him. The changeling lifted a hoof, rubbing at the base of her ears for a moment. “My hearings back to full strength, too. Sounded like a radio that was out of tune.”

“How old are you?” Warden asked suddenly. “You’re not like... a thousand years old are you?”

“Ugh, a thousand years is so overused. Luna banished for a thousand years. Crystal empire gone for a thousand years. Discord in stone for a thousand years. Why are you ponies so obsessed with arbitrary numbers?” Kuno accused, pushing a hoof against his chest.

“It’s just a ballpark number!” Warden protested, huffing.

“Well no, I’m not a thousand years old. I’m about twenty... if I remember correctly. Haven’t exactly had my birthday written down on the calendar. Come to think of it, I don’t even remember when my birthday is,” Kuno said with a faint, thoughtful hum, rubbing at her chin with a hoof.

“You’ve never had a birthday party?” Warden asked with a single blink.

Kuno snorted once. “I’ve had plenty of birthday parties. Just none of them were for me.”

Warden gave a slight nod at that, looking thoughtful. “For you... for Kuno huh?”

Kuno blinked at that, her ears pinning back. “Errr... yeah,” she said, obviously off-put by his knowing her name.

“You let your name slip when we were talking yesterday,” Warden said, smiling smugly.

“Ahhhh, my ever-moving tongue,” Kuno said with a slow shake of her head, giving a soft sigh.

“So... what are you gonna do now that you’re not, you know, tied up?” Warden queried.

“Exact revenge upon you in petty, inconsequential ways designed to send you slowly insane,” Kuno said matter-of-factly, yawning and stretching.

Warden stared at the changeling for a long moment. “I’m not sure if you’re just messing with my head or being completely honest.”

“That’s kinda the point,” Kuno retorted with a shake of her head, pushing at his chest with her hooves again.

“I need to go into town today,” Warden said with a yawn in response.

“What, why?” Kuno asked suddenly.

“For things,” Warden said, frowning and nudging her with a hoof. “Afraid of being left alone?”

“I am not!” Kuno said with a soft growl. “I’m just rather worried about you returning with a legion of Royal Guard in tow!”

Warden snorted and rolled his eyes. “And what’re you gonna do, tie me up if I go to leave?”

“It’s not like you could stop me!” Kuno threatened. “And I could make you love me if I tied you up, oh yes.”

Warden’s eyes widened at that, and he wiggled away a little bit further. “I’m not sure I like the sounds of that.”

“The sound of it will the last thing you’ll be thinking about,” Kuno stated, licking her lips innocently.

“What are you doing?” Warden asked, keeping his hooves between himself and the changeling, in case he needed to fend her off.

“Making you love me,” Kuno said matter-of-factly.

Warden blinked once, his ears pinning back. “Well stop... it’s creepy.”

“But this is how I survive,” Kuno stated, shrugging once and wiggling closer to him. “By being cute, seductive, and naughty. That’s what stallions like.”

Warden snorted, pushing his hoof against her chest to stop her. “Not this stallion.”

“I think you actually believe yourself,” Kuno said with a soft giggle and a shake of her head. “Poor, confused pegasus.

“Cut it out,” Warden stated flatly, pursing his lips.

“But then we’d be sitting at opposite ends of the room facing away from eachother,” Kuno said with a shake of her head.

“I’d be fine with that,” Warden said reasonably.

“Just because you could stare at my rump!” Kuno accused, thumping his shoulder with a hoof.

“Why are you so insistent on sexual attraction?” Warden spluttered, staring at her accusingly.

“Because love and lust are so closely linked that to travel one route is to travel the other,” Kuno said with a minor shrug. “Plus, it makes you uncomfortable and all bashful. It’s cute.”

Warden sighed and shook his head slowly.

“Oh come on, you like it when I call you cute,” Kuno chided with a sly smile.

“I... I guess I do,” Warden said, looking away and biting his bottom lip.

“Something wrong?” Kuno asked, leaning closer to him, frowning.

“I... Just...” Warden trailed off, frowning deeply. “It’s just so easy to... I dunno. Talk to you. It’s not awkward or anything.”

Kuno opened her mouth to say something, but he placed a hoof over her mouth, shushing her. “I mean, when you’re not deliberately making me uncomfortable, it’s not uncomfortable. And that bothers me. You’re a changeling. I should just... it shouldn’t be this easy to be around you.”

Kuno pushed his hoof away and then scoffed. “So you’re bothered that I’m easy to be around, huh?”

“Yes!” Warden stated, glowering at her.

It was several long moments before Kuno realised what was going on.

“You think I’ve put you under a spell...” Kuno murmured quietly.

“The thought had crossed my mind,” Warden stated flatly.

Kuno looked away, frowning deeply. “I don’t have you under any spell...”

“And how am I supposed to know that?” Warden asked, staring at her challengingly. “You are a changeling!”

“The fact that you can even suspect that you’re under a spell is proof that you’re not under one,” Kuno pointed out with a slow shake of her head.

“I just...”

“You just can’t fathom that something as disgusting as a changeling could be easy to get along with,” Kuno interrupted, snorting and rolling herself off the bed, turning her back on him.

Warden frowned at that, his ears pinning back. “That’s not what I was going to say.”

“It’s what you were thinking!” Kuno snarled, stamping a hoof on the ground angrily. “Do you have any idea what it’s like? To constantly be somepony else? One week, I’m a pegasus. The next week, I’m a unicorn. The next week, a griffon. I go from being a nurse, to a carpenter, to a baker! Sometimes, I don’t even stay female! Some days, I can even forget who I am really am. I get lost in all these masquerades! And the one pony I ever met who’s ever seen me for who I really am, is disgusted that I can even be talked to on a normal basis, like I’m some kind of monster.”

Warden looked away, fidgeting with the blanket. “I... You are a monster.”

Kuno growled and ground her hoof into the floor, scarring the wood. “Not. Helping.”

The bed creaked as Warden shifted on it, and then there was a touch at her shoulder.

“Don’t you dare fucking touch me!” Kuno screeched, moving as to turn and whack him across the face with her hoof.

Warden caught her in a hug, pulling her against his chest tightly and turning his head to the side, squinting his eyes shut and wincing. “Please don’t bite me!”

Kuno growled deep in her chest, pushing at his chest with her hooves with a huff. “What in the name of all hell are you doing?”

“I’m hugging you,” Warden explained, squeezing her, still with his head stretched out to avoid any kind of retaliation. “You sounded like you needed a hug.”

“Hugging is for friends,” Kuno stated, her tone sullen, sulky.

“That is correct,” Warden said with a gentle nod, slowly relaxing as no blows or bites were forthcoming.

“You’re not my friend,” Kuno growled, trying to squirm free. “I don’t have any friends.”

“I can be your friend, if you let me,” Warden soothed, tentatively lifting a hoof to begin stroking reassuringly down the changeling’s back.

Kuno growled fiercely, gripping around his middle with her hooves and pushing her face into his shoulder. “But if my friends annoy me, I eat their hearts.”

“I-I guess we could be a-acquaintances,” Warden stammered, giving a little bit of a squeak as she squeezed him tighter.

“Too late, bucko. You already offered. I accept.” Kuno snorted, pushing her face into his shoulder and scowling.

Warden allowed the changeling to squeeze him, before peeking down at her curiously, asking nervously, “A-are you crying?”

“I am not!” Kuno snarled, thumping his back with a hoof but not lifting her head. “Now shut up or I’m going to bite you!”

The pegasus went quiet then, nodding once and just resting his chin on the back of the changelings head, letting her hug him.