• Published 1st Nov 2012
  • 9,962 Views, 286 Comments

First Impression - ocalhoun



The real Gilda comes to Ponyville... but she doesn't get the welcome she was expecting.

  • ...
28
 286
 9,962

First Impression

First Impression

Gloria looked up at her mother expectantly as her mother set her down on the cloud house's plush front step. Her excitement had been growing ever since they left the griffon kingdom's scattered islands, and she hoped she would finally find a place to belong. Her beak picked at an itch just above her hoof as her mother knocked on the door; it sounded oddly solid for something made of clouds. Her eyes drifted back to the fountains of liquid rainbows flowing around the house. She must have seen things like this when she was a baby in Cloudsdale, but she didn't remember any of that. All her memories were of the cold, unforgiving griffon kingdoms, a place where she had never been accepted, thanks to her unique heritage.

Her mother pounded on the door again, harder this time, and was rewarded with the sound of a startled grunt from inside... and the sounds of someone just waking up. “Finally!” her mother said, rolling her eyes, “That pony always did like her naps.”

Gloria watched the door eagerly. This would be the first time she ever saw a pony – that she remembered anyway. Ponies were mystical, magical creatures that her mother never stopped talking about... and she never tired of listening about. She was half pony herself, after all, and now she was finally going to get to see one!

“Dash!” Her mother's face brightened as soon as the door opened. “Long time no see!”

The pony was everything Gloria's mother had ever said... and more! Gloria knew that ponies were supposed to be colorful, but wow, she never guessed anything like this! Even the pony's bright blue coat paled in comparison to her amazing mane, every color of the rainbow, all of them shining as they waved in the high-altitude breeze. Something didn't fit though... Her mother had always said ponies were nice, and usually happy... but this one looked anything but nice, and definitely not happy to see an old friend.

“You've got a lot of nerve coming back here, Gilda!” The pony said.

“Huh?” Her mother looked a little confused, “Dash, I–”

“Get lost, okay? I do not want to see you around here again!”

Her mother's feathers began to fan, betraying her anger, “Dash, I don't–”

“No!” The pony shouted, “And you better not go messing with my friends again either!” With that, the pegasus retreated back inside the door, slamming it closed forcefully – leaving a betrayed-looking griffon and a rather shocked hippogriff standing, staring at the blank door now in front of them.

“Mommy,” Gloria asked, “I thought ponies were nice?”

* * *

Gilda gathered her daughter up in an almost automatic protective gesture as she stared at the closed door in front of her, dumbfounded. She had never seen anything like this from her oldest pony friend.

She wasn't a griffon to give up easily though, not even when her plans of finding her daughter an accepting home among pony kind were falling to pieces around her. She lifted Gloria onto her back, the still-flightless hippogriff quickly assuming the position she usually used when Gilda took her flying, and dove away from the edge of her old friend's cloud home.

Despite the pang of unexpected rejection, Gilda's heart still soared right along with her wings when she heard her little grifflet's squeal of joy to be airborne again. That sound was enough to light the fires of hope inside her all over again. Rainbow Dash's inexplicable behavior didn't change anything, she realized. She could still find a place here, a place where her daughter wouldn't be so rejected for her differences, a place where both of them could finally live happily.

The flight didn't last long, much to her daughter's disappointment. Rainbow's house was only a short glide away from the town, after all. The suspicious stares of the town's ponies weren't lost on her as she made her landing and set Gloria down on the firm ground again, but she knew they would stare at first. After all, who had ever seen a real live hippogriff before? She ignored them, of course, sure that they would get used to it eventually. They were used to griffons, right? So a half-griffon, half-pony should only be half as difficult to accept.

Before she could get started with finding a place to settle in though, her stomach gave a loud, growling complaint – a place to stay could wait: after the long flight here, she wanted food first. Another growl punctuated the thought. She wanted food now!

Thankfully, Ponyville's market happened to be just around the corner from where she had landed. After a quick check to make sure Gloria was still safely trailing behind, and a roll of her eyes at the still silently staring crowd, she made her way there. Despite the eyes following her, she soon broke into her accustomed confident stride, and the marketplace opened up in front of her.

The ponies here weren't any different: they all seemed to stop what they were doing in order to watch the two intruders. Gilda had been expecting her daughter to cause a bit of a stir... but not this. This was just... strange. Shrugging off ponies and their strange ways, she quickly found what she was looking for: a stall selling ready-to-eat treats.

Behind the stall glowered a burly earth pony stallion. He actually reminded Gilda of Gloria's pegasus father back in Cloudsdale. His coat was even the right shade of grey. That was ages ago, though, and she was an older, wiser griffon now, and only looking for a meal. “A couple of those muffins,” she said, dropping a few bits on the table.

The big stallion just stood there though, not giving over any baked goods and not saying anything at all. His only perceptible motion was a slight deepening of his frown.

“Hey, what's your problem, dude?” Gilda asked. Out of long-formed protective habit, she glanced back to check on Gloria, but finally noticed instead what was so strange about this place. The ponies weren't staring at Gloria, they were staring at her. All their eyes were fixed on her, and they were gathering around in a way she really didn't care for.

“His problem,” a pert voice came from behind Gilda, “is that a certain someone stole from his wife's cart.”

Gilda whirled around to see a lavender unicorn step out of the crowd. “Huh, who? And why is it my problem?”

Rainbow Dash stepped out of the crowd next to the unicorn, lifting Gilda's spirits until the pegasus spoke. “Real cute, G. Real cute.” Rainbow's scowl grew even worse. “Like you don't know.”

“Dash, dude, what's with you?” Gilda asked. She looked all around at the menacing crowd of ponies surrounding her, “What's with all of you?”

“You think you can just waltz back here after what you pulled?” Dash responded angrily, “Why are you here?”

“I... I...” Gilda couldn't understand what was going on. Griffons were accepted in pony society. Nothing like this had ever happened in any of the other towns she had been through. “I just wanted to find a place for Gloria!” She blurted, wrapping a wing around her daughter protectively and possessively. With that, she could tangibly feel the crowd's attention turn to the filly hippogriff beside her, freezing the poor little filly on the spot.

“What is that, anyway?” the purple unicorn asked, curiously coloring her voice.

Gilda riled, plumage bushing out in frustration. She was tired, tired of everyone calling her daughter a thing! After four years of hearing it in the griffon kingdoms, she was not going to hear it here! “She's a hippogriff and her name is Gloria!” She shouted at the crowd.

Before the crowd could react to Gilda's outburst, the unicorn was talking again, “Oh wow, a real live hippogriff? As in a real half-pony half-griffon? This is amazing! I've only read about them in old books, I thought they were just a legend!”

“Wait a minute...” Rainbow was looking thoughtful, putting two and two together in her head. “Hey, that means you... Ew! Aww, G, you, with a stallion?” The look of disgust spread on her face. “Couldn't you find another griffon? Why'd you have to go and do that?”

That one cut Gilda to the heart. It was the same thing she had been hearing over and over and over back in the griffon kingdoms, the one question she could never escape and could never answer. She had been young and stupid... and more than a little drunk. She honestly didn't remember much of that night back in Cloudsdale.

With no alternative, Gilda did what she had always done when faced with that awful question. She scooped up her precious little Gloria and ran away. The moment she turned tail, the entire crowd began jeering and hurling insults, putting even more speed into Gilda's step as she barged through the crowd and ran off as quickly as she could, leaving her bits forgotten on the stall table, her old friend sneering at her back, and her memories cutting at her heart.

* * *

Hurt, confused, and bruised from her rush through the crowd, Gilda found herself hiding against a tent-like wall. She held her little Gloria closely while she groomed down some of her ruffled feathers and tried to make sense of what just happened. Even though the crowd of ponies hadn't pursued her, she had still run nearly all the way across town. How could they act like that? Why would they act like that? Was it her daughter? Did hippogriffs offend ponies for some reason? But no, they had been staring at her... what was wrong with her? What was wrong with them?

Gilda's introspection was cut off by a sudden, prissy gasp from behind her. She whipped her head around, ready to face this new threat, but found only a single white unicorn with a deep purple mane.

“My goodness, darling, whatever happened?” the unicorn asked.

Gilda still found herself reluctant to trust ponies again, but what choice did she have? “I was just trying to get some food and these jerks come and gang up on me, what's up with that?”

“But you look simply...” The unicorn trailed off, seemingly hesitant to finish the thought. “There must have been more than that.”

“I, um...” She didn't want to admit to running away. She had a reputation to keep up. “I had to push through.”

Before she could react, the pony had rushed over and embraced her in a warm hug. “Oh you poor thing! Let's get you inside and fixed up.”

Somehow, even after all that had happened today, Gilda managed to muster up a little trust for this pony. ... Just a little. She followed the bouncing curls of the pony's tail around the wall and in through an elaborate doorway. Inside, she nearly dropped her little Gloria from simply being stunned by the décor. She had never in her life been somewhere so... fancy.

“Now Gilda,” the unicorn said, once inside, “darling, I don't suppose you–”

“Wait!” Gilda's fragile trust was now strained to the breaking point, “How do you know my name?”

“Why of course, how silly of me.” The white pony tittered, “We hardly spoke after all! Time for some proper introductions!” She brought a hoof up to her chest in dainty pride, “I am Rarity, of course, pleased to meet you.” She leaned down towards the hippogriff still in Gilda's arm, “and this is?”

“Ah... She's Gloria,” Gilda sputtered. The hostility and fear might be gone for now, but what could possibly be going on with this weird pony? “You don't hate me like everypony in town?”

“Why of course not!” Rarity answered, “That outburst was completely justified: those practical jokes of theirs were perfectly appalling to be playing on a new visitor!”

“Huh?” Gilda stammered, confused. Was all that back in town just some elaborate prank on her? How could it even be possible to coordinate that? “But–”

“Not another word, darling.” Rarity cut in. “You didn't get a bite to eat, did you?”

“Well, no...”

The unicorn quickly vanished into a doorway off of the main room, leaving Gilda unable to ask her questions. “Follow me, dear!”

Gilda almost protested and almost decided to demand straight answers... but her stomach made a protest of its own. With her mind settled and her priorities back in order – for the moment anyway – Gilda followed through the door, where she could already hear the sounds of clinking dishes.

* * *

Gloria sat and watched this new pony with wide and quietly alert eyes. This one didn't seem mean, this one seemed nice like she had always been told ponies were. Still, given her earlier experiences, she wasn't about to let her guard down, not even after being given such a wonderful meal. She watched the unicorn bustle around the kitchen, cleaning things up until they sparkled. She steadfastly refused any help from Gilda. The occasional uses of the unicorn's magic especially drew her eye: Gloria had never seen anything like that before.

With one last rag magically projected into a bin, the unicorn turned towards the table, her cleaning evidently finished. “Now, let's get the two of you properly reintroduced to the town!” She said eagerly.

“And just how,” Gilda's voice came from beside Gloria, “do you plan to do that? They all hate me!”

“Why, we only need make the right impression, of course!” A gleam entered the unicorn's eye. “And you know how we do that?”

“Huh?”

Makeovers!” The unicorn sang, zooming up close and startling Gloria into falling backwards onto the floor.

“What, huh? Hey! Quit it!” He mother screeched. Gloria herself only let out a startled squawk as the unicorn somehow drug both of them into the next room and began grooming and dressing both of them to within an inch of their lives.

Before either of them could do much more than give a few surprised protests, Gloria found herself next to her mother in front of a big, full-body mirror. Her eyes widened as she took it all in. Their fur shined, their feathers sparkled, and they were wearing clothes!

She was just admiring how well her little dress went with her blue, white, and gold coloring when her mother spoke up, “No clothes!”

“But darling–” Rarity didn't get to finish her statement.

“Griffons do not wear dresses!”

“But–”

“Not ever!

Rarity sighed, and inwardly Gloria sighed with her. “Fine, no dresses,” the unicorn said, quickly removing the garments with her magic, “But it's just so rare that I get an opportunity to design for any non-pony clients...”

Gloria looked at the pile of cloth now on the floor wistfully. Her mother may have been adamant against it, but she had been quickly warming to the idea. Maybe it was just her pony side coming out, but she sort of liked the idea of wearing a fancy dress. She stood there, staring at it for a moment, thinking of what her future might hold and what she truly was.

* * *

Gilda scratched at where the dress had chafed her on her neck as the pony continued, “And now that you're presentable, we can go about making the most delightful impression!”

“And how are you going to do that?” Gilda asked.

“Well, ah...” Rarity seemed taken aback for a moment. “Why is it you came by in the first place, if you don't mind my asking?”

“I... I just want somewhere that Gloria can fit in.” Gilda shrank back a little, as if accused. “The griffons never did accept her.” She added quietly.

“Well, let's get her to the school then!” Rarity immediately began heading for the door. “I know the schoolteacher there and she is just lovely.” Almost out of the door already, she called back over her shoulder, “Well, come along, dears!”

After sharing a pensive look with her daughter, Gilda followed wordlessly.

* * *

“And she'll be all ready to be picked up at three.” The pony Rarity had called 'Cheerilee' said, smiling from behind her desk.

“But mom–” Gloria protested. This school was full of ponies... ponies she knew nothing about. She knew about griffons sure, but these ponies were strange and new, and she really didn't like that predatory look on that one pink filly in the class with the sparkling little hat.

She wasn't able to voice those concerns though. “This is why we're here in the first place, kiddo.” Her mother interrupted, “So you can find someplace to fit in.”

“But–”

“So, go fit in! And don't worry, Cheerilee will take care of you.” With that, Gilda stepped out through the classroom door, the sound of the latch as it closed sealing Gloria's fate.

More apprehensive than ever, Gloria slinked over to the only vacant seat in the room, keenly aware of all the eyes on her back. She didn't have a good feeling about this at all.

* * *

Gilda had a good feeling about this. Rarity's plan to get Ponyville back on her side might just work after all. She had thought the unicorn's plan was more than a little featherbrained at first – how was she supposed to 'ingratiate through acts of generosity' when the ponies wouldn't do anything but jeer at her? ... Now though, she had a much better feeling about it. They were off to see a good friend of Rarity's, one who was – if the prissy pony was to be believed – 'far too demure to antagonize anyone.'

Gilda still felt doubtful about it, even as the pair passed into the outskirts of town and the quaint cottages gave way to more greenery, but she had to admit, it sounded like it might work, and she didn't have any better plans. The unicorn leading her down the path certainly wasn't worried, after all. Rarity had been quietly humming to herself for most of the walk; it was probably too soft to be heard by ponies, but a griffon's more sensitive ears could pick it up.

Before long, the scattered cottages gave way to the beginnings of a forest. The occasional pony dwelling still peeked out of the foliage, but they were now vastly outnumbered by animal homes... holes, burrows, birdhouses, everything Gilda could imagine – even a good few that she never would have imagined. These must be the 'animal friends' Rarity had proposed that Gilda help with, saying that it would surely sway at least one pony to her side... and there the pony was: a yellow and pink pegasus trotting up the path towards them, seemingly oblivious to her two new guests.

Focused as she was on the object of her new mission in helpfulness, Gilda failed to notice another pegasus approaching from behind and above, also intent on helping the shy pony ahead.

“Hey There!” Gilda called out, “Me and Rarity thought–”

Her greeting cut off sharply by when a terrified shriek tore through the air as the yellow pony ahead finally noticed them. The pony became a very noisy yellow streak, instantly disappearing back inside her cottage. Before Gilda could react, another, much more colorful, streak flashed in front of her. With a ground-shuddering impact, it coalesced into an irate Rainbow Dash.

“You just don't know when to quit, do you, G?” Rainbow spat, stalking even closer. “Here I was, about to warn Fluttershy that Gilda's back in town, and look! Looks like I got here too late!”

“Dash, I–”

“Because here she is! Already sending my friend running again!” Rainbow's voice dropped to a venomous snarl, her feathers still fanned out in a threatening display, “I'm not going to tell you again. Get out and leave my friends alone!”

Gilda was left stuttering in the wake as Rainbow launched into the air with a single, powerful flap of her wings. Even as the roar of Rainbow's flight faded into the distance, her talons remained planted where they were in the dirt, and her beak remained hanging open in shock.

“Well, ah... that doesn't necessarily–”

Gilda severed Rarity's apology before it could start. “Try another plan.”

“What was that?”

She wasn't about to give up so easily. She wasn't about to be scared off, not again. Her daughter deserved an honest chance. “We're going to try another plan.” Her face invited no argument, and gave no leeway to the traitorous tears threatening to push through.

* * *

Gloria struck the ground hard, tasting the schoolyard dust. Again, one of the little ponies encircling her had shoved her back into the center... too hard this time. A steely prick of cold fear crept into her back. This wasn't a game anymore, and her mother wasn't around to rescue her this time.

“What's the matter, half-breed?” Somepony called out, she couldn't tell who. “Too hard to stand on those mismatched feet of yours?” Laughter answered from all around as Gloria picked herself up. More than ever, she wished she could fly.

* * *

Scootaloo peered over the shoulders of the ponies in front of her along with her two best friends, eager to get a look at this strange new classmate. She halfheartedly joined in the laughter that sprung up, not even sure why. Still, she edged around the crowd, trying to find a place where she could finally get a good view. Something moved quickly inside the ring of ponies, but she couldn't see what or how.

“Ooh, what're you gonna do, huh?” a familiar and unwelcome voice met Scootaloo's seeking ears. “Gonna fly away? Gonna run to daddy? ... Oh, that's right, you can't do either, can you?” Diamond Tiara's titter of laughter stung Scootaloo as her words sunk in. This little newcomer couldn't fly either? She was as parentless as Scootaloo herself? Suddenly, the newcomer didn't seem so strange anymore. Suddenly, Scootaloo couldn't stay on the sidelines anymore.

* * *

Gloria's tears were aborted before they could form, replaced instead by shock as a little orange pegasus came barreling through the ring of ponies around her. Colorful fillies and colts flew this way and that, shoved aside by her headlong rush. “Leave her alone Tiara!” the pegasus filly shouted shrilly, coming to a stop directly between Gloria and the worst of her tormentors.

Or?” Diamond Tiara didn't let her false mask of sweetness slip in the slightest, but the pegasus now in front of her visibly wilted. Her orange body shrank back, and her tiny wings slowly went limp as she must have realized that she had overreached herself.

Before anyone could break the heavy silence that followed, two more fillies appeared protectively on either side of the pegasus. That at least caused the schoolyard bullies a second thought. As Gloria watched, not quite believing her eyes, the three fillies stared down the crowd until it finally began to wither away, ponies slinking off silently, one by one, until finally, only Diamond Tiara and her one friend still faced the three. Eventually, reluctantly, even those two backed away, leaving Gloria and her three rescuers strangely solitary in the crowded playground.

“The name's Scootaloo!” The pegasus filly said, whirling around to face Gloria.

“And I'm Sweetie Belle!” the unicorn next to her chimed in.

“Applebloom!” The third added.

They all stared at her expectantly for a moment before she realized why they were waiting. “I'm Gloria.” She whispered. After hesitating a moment, she added, “And um... thank you.”

“No problem!” Sweetie Belle replied, “We're not going to let ponies like Diamond Tiara get away with stuff like that on our watch!”

“And did you see the way we sent them running? I don't think they'll ever...”

Despite herself, Gloria lost interest in Scootaloo's victory speech as her over-sensitive ears picked up a very different conversation, “As soon as school lets out?” The other pony whispered too furtively for even Gloria to pick up, but the first spoke up again, “Good, that'll show them who's the real boss around here.”

Somehow, Gloria suspected that Scootaloo's confidence was a little premature.

* * *

Gilda followed Rarity down a path vibrantly lined with sweet-smelling apple trees. The unicorn had assured her that Rainbow Dash would be sleeping this time of day, making interruptions less likely this time.

“Now my dear,” Rarity looked back over her shoulder to the griffon and said, “We just need to find some member of the Apple family and make the offer.” Turning back to the road, she picked up her pace just a little, “Rustic as they may be, the Apple family is one of the most influential families in all of Ponyville – and they will be just the ones to help you mend your reputation troubles.”

Before Gilda could ask just how they'd go about finding one of these ponies, a heavy thwack echoed from within the trees on one side of the path.

“Perfect.” Rarity said, turning off towards the noise and wincing only slightly as she made the first footstep off of the paved path.

Before long, the sound of resounding hoofbeats led them to a large red pony smashing apple trees with a hoof, causing the fruit to fall neatly into the containers below.

“Big Macintosh!” Rarity called out as the two approached. “Could you possibly allow us to assist you with your harvesting? It would mean ever so much to us.” She ended up right next to him, a pleading look in her eyes.

He just stood and stared at her for a moment before answering. “Eeyup.” The big stallion said, simply.

“Perfect.” Rarity immediately trotted off to another tree, beginning to pull apples down with her magic... and leaving Gilda standing there in a silent staring contest with a big red pony.

“Hey,” Gilda called back in frustration at Rarity after standing stupefied for a moment, “How am I supposed to do this anyway?”

Rarity giggled. “Why, it's simple, darling! You just fly right into the top of a tree and shake all the apples out of it. If Fluttershy can do it, I'm quite sure you'll be able to.” She looked thoughtful for a moment. “Oh, and once you have a few trees finished, you'll want to carry the apples over to the cart over there.”

Gilda sighed... time to get to work. But if a little hard apple-harvesting work would help make this place safe for her and her daughter, it was worth it – every minute. She threw herself into the trees, no doubt on her way to set a speed record for the Apple family's harvest and win back the town's trust.

* * *

After hours of apple harvesting, Gilda couldn't even see Rarity or Big Macintosh anymore, save for her occasional trips to take apples back to the wagon, when she'd occasionally catch Rarity making a similar trip, or Big Mac hauling another wagon-load out.

In fact, it was about time for a few more such trips. Dipping down from treetop level back to near ground level, she grabbed the handles of an apple bucket with her talons and flew off towards the wagon. She delivered apples much quicker than the others, making her doubly sure that her efforts here would be appreciated. This was going to boost her reputation for sure.

Her optimistic thoughts were cut off by a hearty yell from ahead of her, “Mah apples! R-D warned me you were around, you theivin' turkey! You get back here right now!”

An orange earth pony she'd never seen before was galloping at her full tilt, complete with an oversized hat and, more menacingly, a coiled rope at the ready. Gilda turned tail before she even realized what she was doing, not even remembering to drop her load of apples at first. She wasn't about to risk getting caught by that pony!

* * *

Rarity's telekinetic grip on her load of apples faltered as she caught a glimpse of Gilda flying away in terror, just above the treetops. What could possibly have happened? Her question didn't stand unanswered for long. Applejack was pursuing the griffon doggedly... and being pursued in turn by Big Mac, who was shouting after her, “A-J! Wait!”

Her friend showed no signs of stopping though, and Rarity found herself forced to consider that all this awful dust and work may have been in vain. Still, she knew what her most important responsibility was. Her griffon friend was rocketing off towards town, and she would certainly need a talk after this! She raced towards Ponyville with a resolute stare and a heavy heart, intent on catching up.

* * *

In an awful relapse, Gloria again found herself in the middle of a crowd of ponies, again abusing her for all they were worth. She had gone through enough of this! She was going to take the fight to them this time, straight to that infuriating Diamond Tiara. Scootaloo struggled right alongside her, straining as hard as she was to shut that little pink pony's mouth in the most forcible way possible... but her other two new friends would have none of it.

Applebloom and Sweetie Belle were straining just as hard, holding Gloria back. They kept giving out lame excuses for why, something about a plan and a trap... but Gloria didn't care. The things that came out of Diamond Tiara's mouth were just monstrous! That pony needed a good kick to shut her up, no matter what traps and plans there might be!

The awful little filly was taking full advantage of it, of course. She was right there in front of Gloria's face now. Just outside of biting distance.

“Why, the last time I saw a half-breed as mixed up as you are, it was in a zoo!” Diamond Tiara giggled mercilessly. “You're sure you didn't escape from a cage somewhere little birdie?”

Gloria snapped her beak at the pony, too filled with rage for words. If only the two ponies holding her and Scootaloo back would let go... she would be doing a service to all pony kind to get rid of this infuriating little pony.

“Applebloom!” Sweetie Belle's voice squeaked, “I... I can't hold her much longer!” The little unicorn's legs already trembled from the effort of holding Scootaloo back.

“Come on!” Applebloom's red bow was already torn from accidental contact with Gloria's beak, her face was already dripping with sweat, but she held as resolutely as ever. “We just gotta hold 'em a little longer! ... Just... long enough... for...”

Diamond Tiara inched even closer, taunting Gloria with the illusion of being within reach. “... I wouldn't want to know who your dad is anyway.” She snickered. “How repulsive do you have to be for no mare to take you? How bad do you have to be to get desperate enough to go with a griffon?” She made a disgusted face, “I don't even want to, like, think about it!”

Tiara's face grew smug as Sweetie Belle finally began to give way, forcing Applebloom to do double duty, holding both friends back... and she was obviously already slipping. “Come on then,” the little pink filly taunted, “The way you're just standing there, you'd think you didn't care at all.”

“Diamond Dazzle Tiara!” Every single pony on the school grounds suddenly froze at the sound of Cheerilee's voice, the sudden stillness and silence eerie after the previous riot of commotion. “What is going on here?”

Everything remained in awkward silence as the dust slowly settled to the ground. Diamond Tiara's face was frozen in a sudden wince. With glacial slowness, she turned around to face her teacher. “Well, ah...” was all she managed to say before Cheerilee interrupted.

“Come see me inside, right now.”

* * *

“Wow,” Scootaloo said as Gloria followed her new friends back to town, “What's with that pony anyway?”

“I know, right?” Sweetie Belle chimed in, “Sometimes I wonder if she's been replaced by a changeling or something.”

Gloria glanced over at the little unicorn confusedly. “A what?”

Applebloom rolled her eyes. “A changeling.” She put on a smug and all-knowing expression that somehow didn't seem to fit her, “You know, one of those bugs that attacked Canterlot a while back? They take the form of somepony and replace 'em. But mah sis says you can tell when they've been replaced 'cause of how rude they act.”

“Yeah!” Scootaloo hopped up and fluttered with her wings for a moment in the air before hitting the ground laughing, “Diamond Tiara is definitely a changeling!”

Gloria though, suddenly stopped walking and fell behind her new friends for a moment before they noticed and turned to look back at her. Her mother's unearned reputation here suddenly made a lot more sense... could it be?

* * *

“Hey!” Gilda shouted, “I'm talking at you! Get back here!” Yet another pony slipped away from her around a corner as a flight of birds scattered away, startled by her outburst. She was going to make this town full of ponies understand... if only she could get some to stay put! Aha! A brown earth pony stallion came into view, stepping out of some kind of blue box. Maybe this one would stay put and let her yell some sense into him!

“You!” She pointed a talon right at him, “You stop right there. I've got something to say to you, mister!”

He only looked a little puzzled. “Ah, have we met?”

“That's what I want to know! Why do you ponies hate me so much?”

“Oh, well...” he began slowly backing away, “there's probably a very good reason, but you see, I guess I haven't done that part yet... it gets complicated you know, doing things in the wrong order... all wibbly wobbly...”

Gilda prepared herself to let loose another tirade, this time about ponies who didn't make sense when they talked... but around the corner of the sweet shop she stood next to came a familiar lavender unicorn and a certain very familiar pegasus.

The earth pony in front of her forgotten for now, she whirled around to face her old friend. “Rainbow. Dash.” Her eyes narrowed into a scowl as her wings flared out for a fight.

You!” Rainbow rushed up to face her, leaving the unicorn behind. “What are you still doing here? I told you to get lost!”

* * *

Gloria ran on despite being completely out of breath, her three new friends still right beside her. They were well within the town now, passing shops and market stalls at a breakneck pace. Just ahead, the shouting from earlier still raged... somepony she didn't recognize, but the louder voice had to be her mother!

Skidding around another corner, the four fillies smashed into a very distracted purple pony, sending all five of them tumbling into the street.

“Twilight!” Scootaloo called out, before any of them were even able to pick themselves up. “I think we figured out why Gilda's having so much trouble fitting in!”

Twilight Sparkle just rolled her eyes, shaking the dust from her mane. “Well, yes. It's not hard to figure out after all. Not if you saw how she acted last time.”

“No! You don't get it!” Gloria pleaded.

With another shake of her head, Twilight turned back to watch what was quickly becoming a brawl in the streets. Rainbow and Gilda charged at each other back and forth, each one agile enough to avoid the other... but sooner or later one of them would be bound to make contact and then it would stop being an airborne dogfight and devolve into a real fight.

“Really, Twilight! Listen to what she says!” Applebloom stood in front of Twilight, giving the unicorn her very best pleading look... and Gloria had to admit, it was quite an unbearably sad face. “Please?

“Ugh, fine.” Twilight turned to look at Gloria. “What is it?”

Here was just the chance Gloria needed! “Everypony thinks my mom's been here before, right?”

“Yes, that's because she was.” Twilight's eyes rolled up yet another time.

“But she wasn't... she's never been here before.”

Twilight sighed. “She was. I saw her, okay? Now–”

“But you didn't!” Gloria was glad to see a confused look on the unicorn's face now – it meant she was getting somewhere. “I think maybe the one you saw before was a changeling!”

Twilight just shook her head and turned back to watch the action, just in time to see it when Gilda finally made the first contact with Rainbow. The two slammed down into the street, sending ponies scattering away, but Rainbow quickly tumbled Gilda over herself, using her smaller size to her advantage.

Gloria watched in frustration as Twilight stood just watching the fight go on... but hope kindled in her again as she saw the look on the unicorn's face change. Twilight looked thoughtful for a moment, then uncertain, glancing away... and finally, her eyes grew wide as the realization must have hit her.

“Rainbow! Stop!” Twilight shouted, with surprising volume.

The action in the street froze. Rainbow was pinning Gilda to the ground, though one of Gilda's back feet was pushing up, ready to throw her off. Rainbow's hoof was still, suspended in mid-punch above Gilda's already blackened eye. Both combatants paused and looked over at Twilight questioningly.

“I think we've been making a mistake here.”

“Huh?” Rainbow looked skeptical. “What do you mean, mistake?”

* * *

Gilda looked up in gratitude as her one-time friend slowly rose up off of her and let her get up. “Wait... so if that Gilda was a fake... then...” Rainbow Dash scratched the back of her head thoughtfully. “Then none of that really happened...” Her eyes widened in sudden realization. “I could still have my friend?”

Gilda looked up at her oldest friend, still on her back in the middle of the street, pebbles pressing into her bones. Needless to say, the look on her face was not charitable.

“Oh... huh...” Rainbow suddenly looked bashful. “Uh, sorry about all that... just a misunderstanding right?” With a nervous smile, she stuck out a hoof, offering to help Gilda up.

Gilda remained lying there for a moment, scowling as the nervousness in Rainbow's smile intensified. Before she could speak her mind though, her little daughter came running up, jumping on top of her and hugging her neck. With that, the vindictive rage in Gilda's heart melted, and she realized that this was just the kind of opportunity she'd been trying for ever since she came to town.

“Right.” Gilda said, taking the offered hoof and pulling herself up. “No hard feelings, Dash.” She was a little proud of herself even. Despite a busted eye, and despite finally getting her best friend back, she was still able to hold in those tears.

* * *

Gilda curled up on a cushion within the strange library-within-a-tree Twilight Sparkle claimed to live in. The ice pack she held up to her eye was starting to leak a little, but she didn't interrupt as her old friend began to dictate to the little dragon.

“Dear Princess Celestia, sometimes your friends can really hurt you, and when that happens, it's easy to just let the friendship end.” Rainbow stopped fluttering around overhead and dropped down for a landing next to the dragon. “But sometimes it turns out you've got it wrong... and sometimes you've got to give a friend a second chance.” She trotted over towards Gilda, saying “you get all that, Spike?” over her shoulder as she came.

“Yep!” The little dragon said, rolling up the scroll and burning it. That confused Gilda a little. Why did they bother writing the letter if they were just going to burn it?

Before she could say anything though, Rainbow edged up next to her. She looked over just in time to see the pegasus rush in for a far too sappy hug. “Ew, Dash, what's up with that? What happened to you?”

“I got my best friend back!” Rainbow replied contentedly... and despite herself, Gilda couldn't hold it back. She pulled Rainbow in, returning the hug, and this time, she didn't care if anyone saw the tears.

Fin.

Comments ( 285 )

Finally time to go big-time and publish this fic for real!

(Now that I finally got my automatic .rtf to BBcode formatting process figured out, woohoo!)

Be sure to tell me what you think. And don't be gentle! It's my first time ^.^

*Eyes word count*
Did you do that on purpose?
Meh, either way, reading.

1542672
What else would you expect from a fic published on Haloween? :trollestia:

Its called a hippogryph a half horse half griffon

*Finishes reading*
Perfection.
Good job. This deserves a sequel :raritywink:

1542723

Oh, I know.
If you read it, you'll see I used that term.
(Though I spelled it hippogriff, consistent with the MLP spelling of griffon.) :twilightsmile:

1542750 why you no put that in description then ?

Wow... perfection, huh?
Not bad for a first try! :pinkiehappy:

(No plans at all for a sequel right now though. ... but if I should happen to get some plot ideas from the comments I might be tempted to! ^.^)

done reading cute story


yay hoopla

1542754
It didn't fit nicely in a short description... and not everybody knows that a hippogriff is half-pony, half-griffon, so saying half-pony instead makes it clear to everyone.
Meh... at any rate, it gets the point across.

Too much happiness can not fight it. This is definitely how it should be in the show. Season three Gilda not really evil.
CHANGELINGS, it is always the changelings.

Max

Why the hell would gilda acept the apogolize of rainbow dash? Thats some crap, she deserved all the hate, the worst is that i expect something like that from dash, thats why she is the only mane 6 i do HATE.

1542935
Thanks! :twilightsmile:

1542906
She could have rejected the apology and kept on fighting (her uncharitable look as it was offered suggests she wanted to reject it)... But then the town would continue hating her, and she wouldn't succeed in her reason for coming to the town for the first place.
All she wanted was a safe, accepting place for her daughter, and she realized that rejecting that apology wasn't the way to get that.
(In a nutshell, her motivation to find a good place for her daughter overcame her motivation to get even with Dash.)

1542818
I know right! ^.^ This is my take on how Gilda might not be a bad griffon after all.

Yes, changlings are the answer! The answer to making evil, good!


Slight awkwardness durring some of the senes with gilda and gloria, as perspective seemed to change a bit, but otherwise a well written, enjoyable story. :twilightsmile:

1542982
Ah, hmm... I did try to keep the perspective shifts as clear as possible... But it is true that I shifted around a lot... probably more than really necessary.
Glad you still enjoyed it though! ^.^

Personally, I think you did a great job for you first fic. :pinkiesmile:

The idea is well executed, and overall the characters reactions are believable (I was gong to say that maybe the kids were a little too harsh with Gloria, but then I remembered that kids are dicks).:trixieshiftleft: I totally see Rarity as the pony thats trying to help Gilda fit again.:raritywink:
Well, as Annaila said, the changes between Gilda and Gloria "scenes" seemed a little abrupt (for example, you got Gilda running away from Applejack, then we switch to Gloria in the school, and then we get back to Gilda and she is confronting the Doctor), but since this was a one-shot fic, I think it's understable, but I think it's something to keep in mind, specially if your planning to write longer fics.
Also, maybe Gloria got figured out the changeling thing a little too fast (I don't remember anypony saying, at least in front of them, that Gilda was there before), after all, that misunderstanding is what forces Gilda to go through all that trouble in the first place.

But anyway, this is just my critique attempt, since I never have gave one before (I know right?).:derpytongue2: So I hope it helps you, keep the good job.:twilightsmile:

On a side note:
I wonder exactly why changeling Gilda, from all the ponies, wanted Rainbow Dash as a love source?:trollestia: (Don't pay attention to my dirty mind)

1543136

I totally see Rarity as the pony thats trying to help Gilda fit again.:raritywink:

^.^ Original outline called for Fluttershy... but then I remembered, A) Fluttershy's terrified of Gilda, and B) Everybody's story has Fluttershy taking in the newcomer... So, I ended up trying to think who else might.
Rainbow's out of the question, and didn't want to use Applejack; that would mess up her later scene.
But then I was like.. :raritystarry: I-de-aaaa! Rarity's available, and she has motivation to: they were intolerably rude to Gilda at her own welcome party! Rarity would want to make amends for that. ^.^

Also, maybe Gloria got figured out the changeling thing a little too fast (I don't remember anypony saying, at least in front of them, that Gilda was there before), after all, that misunderstanding is what forces Gilda to go through all that trouble in the first place.

True... I was thinking that a bit sudden as well when I reread it. Though other ponies have said that Gilda was here before... Rainbow's first line, for one.

I wonder exactly why changeling Gilda, from all the ponies, wanted Rainbow Dash as a love source?:trollestia: (Don't pay attention to my dirty mind)

I'm glad I was able to get that across without stating it blatantly ^.^

I really like this story, most of the time I pay little attention to one-shots because of the way I read (which is obsessively), I'm normally one to go for longer stories but this won me over.

The premise is kept simple, the characters are good, and the ending was exactly what I was hoping for. I was SO glad to see Gilda being portrayed as a good character without being made into someone completely different for the purposes of justifying it. I also think it was refreshing to find a story in which changelings were not near-infallible in their disguises, because, if anything, what the changeling invasion of Canterlot proved, they are not. Otherwise they wouldn't need to invade.

Anyway, great story, and I have to say, I would love to see more of Gilda and Gloria in the future (I know it's unlikely, but one can hope).
If I could I would add you to my watch list but I can't, because it doesn't work.:facehoof:

This was a pretty brilliant idea! It makes perfect sense.

I have to say I was hoping for the story to go more into the whole changling accusation. I mean there was not any proof of this. Knowing how Twilight is, I would kind of expect her to investigate that. It pretty much felt like you hit the delete button on Fluttershy, Applejack and Pinkie by the end of it.
It would have been great to know how things turned around for Glida and Gloria in more detail.

All in all, It was good.

Thank you for using your time to write and share it with us. :pinkiesmile:

I demand a sequel. :flutterrage:

1553669
Yeah... I do see that as the weakness of the story now.
No plans to revise though; I'm on to other things!
And yeah... I did hit the delete button on a few of the mane 6...
It's a short one-shot with non-mane-6 leading characters... There just isn't room to fully involve them all.
So, yeah, Pinkie gets completely ignored, Twilight, Applejack, and Fluttershy become minor characters... and Rainbow gets to be the antagonist. ^.^ ... gotta admit though, she fits that role well!

1546076
1557103
Sequel?
More of Gilda & Gloria?

*le sigh*
Okay, I might... need to come up with plot ideas though.
I mean, trying to finish convincing the rest of the town to accept them would do for a while... but what after that?
Hm... maybe Gloria could get a cutie mark...

1564563 Please do continue. You could detail her adventures/misadventures with the CMC and explore the real gilda more. Maybe bring in the changeling gilda and her affect on the real gilda's life? (Identity theft is a bitch.) maybe explor how gloria came to be, who the father is, how her family/friends reacted. maybe she meets ditzy/derpy seeing as she was in a similar situation with dinky. Also hippogriffs are awsome.

1568948
Okay, you've convinced me.
A sequel to this story is now officially on my list of future fic ideas.

Already got two very different ones in the pipeline though, and they'll be finished before I even think about starting a sequel here.

1569018 Well it'll be awhile but... YES YES YES YES YES :twilightblush::twilightsmile::facehoof:

L4

1569018

:heart::heart::heart:

so awesome! I would love to read it XD. I also like the fact that this is one of very rare fics that have Gilda being a parental figure.

I wonder if she'll interact with Fannon (my headcanon) Derpy/Ditzy doo family (minus the doctor)... I think it be something of interest.

hope you don't run into heavy writer's block XD

1589034
Oh yes... If I write a sequel, Derpy & Dinky are very likely to make an appearance, seeing as how they're my favorite mother/daughter pair, and also the only fanon single mom I can think of. ... Not to mention that Derpy knows a thing or two about being thought little of by the public as well.

Oh, and don't worry about writer's block. I never have it.

Love it, it's amazing. Written to perfection in my eyes, and I've always like griffons :)

so you are going to make a sequel about this are you

1670587
Due to popular demand, yes I'm planning a sequel.

1633070
My next story will involve griffons as well, though not in so major a role.

1676513
I would definitely read a sequel, no questions asked. Also, if there is anything I can help with, don't hesitate to ask.

1680073
:twilightsmile:
Well, it will be quite some time before a sequel for this one... I've got much more exciting (to me anyway) ideas to get done first.

1680656
I'll stick around, read them then :P

I wish they would somehow redeem Gilda in the actual show :/ or introduce another gryphon...

1684466
Okay then; hopefully I won't disappoint!
My next one will be very different, but after that, I should be moving on to more stories like this.

i must say that was terrible... TERRIBLY AWESOME! I LOVED IT!!!!!!!

It suddenly occurs to me that the Changelings are a perfect Deux ex Machina for editing out any bits of canon characterisation you don't like. Need your chosen character to be nicer? The nasty version was one of those bug-pony things! :pinkiehappy:

1764865
Trixie fic resembling this one in 3... 2... 1...

Fiction is good. Me like it. :pinkiehappy:

While I did really like this story (and The Clothes Make the Mare, for that matter) I do kind of question Ranibow's comments about Gilda and the pegasus she was with. I find it hard to believe that Rainbow would say things like that, she seems like the type to utterly lose her shit when someone is being a bigot nearby. Other than that, I quite liked this.

2042102
Maybe so... but I have to admit, it is fun to portray Rainbow as the villain.
She makes a good villain! :rainbowwild:

*grins and applauds* I've never seen this idea before and you executed it beautifully!

(So, I noticed this was in the group "Authors Helping Authors" and didn't have a review just yet. Seeing as how this story was published quite some time ago, I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to give you criticism on it and ask for some in return. However, I did so anyway just because it was still in the group. I hope you don't mind! :derpytongue2:)




This review is brought to you on behalf of the group: Authors Helping Authors

Name of Story: First Impression

Grammar Score: 8.5/10

Pros:

-Very original idea with a twist.
-Fun title and nicely portrayed characters--including the OC. I adored every showing of Gloria. :pinkiesmile:
-Happy and fulfilling ending.

Cons:

-There were a few errors all around, and could use some polishing.
-Ended too quickly, and with the overly used "X is/was a changeling" idea.
-Not introducing all characters in the beginning.

Notes:

This is where I will elaborate on some of my points above. A lot of stories commonly have their conflicts resolved similarly where changelings are involved--It makes sense, yes, but it's been overdone. While I personally don't like Gilda very much as a character, I've tried to read and review your story without that influencing how much I like the piece. (While this isn't so much a critique as it is a complaint, I would've liked to see Gilda apologize and seek forgiveness rather than have the blame be tossed to a changeling.) Moving on, at the very beginning where Gloria was first mentioned: I wasn't sure who she was or who her mother was. This led me to re-read the first couple of paragraphs in my confusion, only to find that Gilda was mentioned below in the dialogue. What I'm getting at is not to use "her mother" too much; this confuses the reader where we didn't need to be. We already knew the story was going to revolve around Gilda based on the description and cover photo, so there's no need for mystery. There were some grammar errors, just small things, like so:

“Eeyup.” The big stallion said, simply.

Because the following is a dialogue tag and is part of the same sentence, "the" wouldn't need to be capitalized, and after "Eeyup" there would be a comma. Also, between "said" and "simply" a comma is not needed because he is saying something simply, and not saying something while doing an action simply. Overall, I think this was an excellent idea and story that was pulled off well. While I haven't read many Gilda fics, I think this one is original in the fact that Gilda returns (technically for the first time!) to Ponyville with a daughter and has to prove her innocence.

Great job, and best of luck in your future endeavors. I hope my review was helpful, despite it being done quite a while after your story was! :twilightsmile: Have a thumbs-up and favorite. :raritywink:

Enjoy your review! Please help me out by looking at my story and leaving a review: Oh My... Did I Misread the Signs?

2794530
Thanks! :twilightsmile:

Such an old story is new to the group because I just discovered the group. :twilightblush:
(This is actually the first story I ever published.)


And, yes, I do plan on taking a look at yours, but it may take a while, I'm afraid to say. I leave for a two week camping trip tomorrow. I WILL get to it though, just be patient. ^.^

2794594
You're welcome! :pinkiehappy:

Haha, no worries. Take as much time as you need; there's no rush. The story I actually linked is an old one of mine as well, with about a thousand less words than yours.

On a completely unrelated note that I hope you don't mind: Two week camping trip?! That sounds awesome. While you're going to have fun, I'm actually going to be packing tomorrow to move to a new house.

...I think we know which of us is going to have a better time. :derpytongue2:

Interesting idea and nicely written.

Dat 6,666 word count :trollestia:

Login or register to comment