• Published 31st Oct 2012
  • 22,220 Views, 680 Comments

Twilight's Life - DuskShadowTheArkane



We all know of Twilight Sparkle, the hero of Equestria.But what was before that?

  • ...
23
 680
 22,220

New Life

“Come on Shining, time to wake up,” Night Light was entering his son’s room with a warm smile that vanished as soon as he looked at his son’s empty bed. “Shining?” he asked, looking around the room, under the bed and in the wardrobe. But no Shining was to be found. He was about to look in the waste bin when something pounced at him from above, sending him sprawling on the ground and squealing like a filly on her first Nightmare Night.

“Gotcha, dad! You gotta be careful, criminals could be everywhere!”
Night Light shook his head in mild amusement. Ever since he was small and got that old badge from his uncle, Shining Armor had always wanted to join the royal guard. Even though his parents weren’t exactly fond of the idea of their son becoming a soldier, the prospect of trying to allure Shining from it was as fun as being banished to the moon.

But, Night Light thought, I’m sure he will be the best guard the Princess ever had. His resolve was astounding for a colt his age, and his ability to reason was incredible. And, his parents included, his magic abilities were beyond the capabilities of most adult ponies..

Night Light chuckled. The neighbors can vouch for that. He remembered when he had taught Shining how to conjure a force field. While Night Light was only able to conjure one only strong enough to protect an apple, Shining had managed to wrap not only them, but also their direct neighbors in his.

Unfortunately for them, Night Light forgot to tell him to how to stop the spell. Before he could stop it, the neighbors’ force field decided to expanse it’s scope by tumbling down the main street of Canterlot, bumping everything out of it’s way – no matter if pony, griffon or stand – only to be stopped by Steel Hide, captain of the royal guard. When he had seen what Shining was able to do, he insisted that Shining joined the guard right away.

‘We absolutely must have somepony like him! He’s got a big future ahead of him. He will probably be lieutenant when he’s reached my age. But only if he starts training under my wing right away. I am asking…no, I am COMMANDING you to let him join us. NOW! I will make a real stallion out of your son, Sir!’ he had said.

But through all the bidding of his son and the challenging stare of Steel Hide, Night Light had to decline, telling him that he wanted his son to finish school first, and that his wife would most likely kill him if he came wandering back home, saying something like, ‘Hi honey, how was your day? I’m going out to hide myself. Why? Oh, I just enlisted Shining in Boot Camp.’

So, after feverishly apologizing to the neighbors and promising Shining some candy for him to stop being mad at him, which had turned out to be a six layer marzipan – chocolate cake, he had taken Shining and brought him back home. Shining, still a bit mad, had emphasized the day’s events to his mother, which caused a storm of clouts for Night Light by a furious Velvet, who continued her rant by shouting something about “high class” and “influential neighbors,” which Night Light had ignored skillfully, causing another bout of clouts that he would remember grimly for a long time.

While being stuck in his reverie, he didn’t notice Shining was talking to him, until he started shouting right in his ear.

“EQUESTRIA TO DAD, ANYPONY HOME???” Night Light winced, causing Shining to tumble off of him. “Ow, Dad, why did you have to do that?” Shining asked while rubbing his forehead.

“What is all the shouting and squealing about?” a voice behind Night Light asked. A pony was standing in the door. She was a white mare with a white-purple streaked mane and three purple stars as a cutie mark.

“Velvet! You know you are supposed to stay in bed!” Night Light chided his wife. “You have to rest. You are carrying a pony with you after all.” Indeed it was easy to tell that Velvet was going to foal soon. Her belly had grown over the past months, and after a visit to the doctor they were told that the big day could be any day now.

“Tell me how to lie down and relax knowing I can be foaling any minute now. Shining, stop that ruckus, it is time for school,” Velvet said, looking at her son.

“But mo-ohm, I don’t wanna go to school! It’s boring. I already can do math and read and write. Why can’t I just join the Royal Guard right away?” Velvet and Night Light simultaneously sighed. They had had this discussion before and, even with wanting their son to be what he always dreamed of, they knew that it was very important for a colt of his age to visit school.

“Come now Shining, we’ve been over this before. You know that we want you to finish school first,” Velvet said.

“But mom, school is boring! Even the magic class for Unicorns is boring. They’re practicing spells I knew when I was five!” Shining complained.

“But Shining,” Night Light looked at his son sternly “You know how important academic training is. It could even boost your career once you become a royal guard.”

“Plus,” Velvet added with a smirk, “You get to see your favorite friend again. Isn’t that great? What was her name again?” Velvet rubbed her face with a hoof in mock contemplation.


A soft hue of red grazed Shining’s face when thinking about that certain filly. She was his age – well, she looked like she was his age. Shining had some problems with gauging the age of alicorns, and, he admitted with fire red cheeks, she was probably the most beautiful thing Shining had ever laid eyes on. Her soft, pink coat, her beautiful, also pink wings, her magnificent, three toned mane, her heart shaped cutie mark that screamed “princess of love.” But the most stunning aspect of her appearance was her breathtaking, violet eyes. Oh, he could lose himself in those eyes. He could extol them. He could write odes about them. He… flinched when he saw the grinning faces of his parents. Shaking himself out of his reverie, he realized his burning cheeks, and the drool started to escape his muzzle. He blushed even more before shaking his head and yelling, “We are just friends!”

Velvet chuckled. “Of course you are, now go on or you will be late. You don’t want to keep your little fillyfriend waiting.” Shining glared for a second before starting to leave. “Your bag and food are on the kitchen counter, have a good time.”

Shining nodded, mumbling a quick “Okay, mom,” and running out of the room.

“Have fun and pay attention to your teachers, not Cadance’s flank.” Velvet called after her son. A pained “Mooooooooom” was the only response she got.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

“So, what are the plans for today?” Velvet asked her husband as soon as the front door fell shut.

“Well, first I have to make you lie down again,” Night Light answered with a smirk.
Velvet huffed.

“I’m not going to spend every waking minute lying around, doing nothing.” she said. She continued to watch him sternly before breaking into a smile.

“Can you believe that we’re having another child?” she asked him. Night Light smiled at his wife before pulling her into a kiss and laying her down on their hearth rug. She continued to roll onto her side, so as not to hurt her foal. Night Light bent his neck and kissed her belly gently. Velvet giggled. “You have been doing this every day now,” she said while prodding him gently.

“I’m just so excited and happy to have my little foal,” he replied. They continued to lie next to each other, just taking comfort in each other’s company.

Unfortunately, Night Light had a job to attend to. He slowly rose to his hooves while Velvet continued to lie on the rug. He went to the kitchen, grabbed his briefcase and wandered back to his wife. He bent down, planting a kiss on her forehead.

“Don’t overexert yourself, you hear? You have to carry a little pony after all,” he said, looking down. Velvet nodded, smiling at him. “Have a good day at work.” She smiled up at him. “Just be careful, ok? If anything is the matter or even if you need anything, just send me note. I’ll be here as fast as possible.”

Velvet nodded and shooed him out. He walked up to the door and opened it before turning around and smiling at his wife. “I love you, honey,” he said.

“I love you too, shmoopy,” she answered. He shuddered at his least favorite nickname, and continued out of the door. Velvet giggled at his contorting face as the door closed behind him.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Shining was walking through the hallway of his school when he heard a melodic voice call him. He turned around, only to instantly start blushing and sweating. There she was. The mare of his dreams. Beauty itself. The three–toned mane bound into a ponytail. Princess Cadance, Princess of Love, niece of Princess Celestia herself, was walking up to him. Her beautiful eyes were resting upon him.

Oh those beautiful, magnificent, shining eyes, he thought, already becoming poetic in his head.

“Shining? Shining, are you alright? You look like you’re sick,” Cadance said, looking at him with a worried glance. Shining shook his head out of his daydream, trying to focus on the conversation with her. “Shining?” Cadance asked again.

“Yeeeees?” Shining asked, trying to sound like he was listening the whole time.

“Ooh-kaaaaay,” Cadance said, eyeing him suspiciously. “How are you?” she asked, attempting to maintain conversation.

“Perfect, just perfect. How about you?” Shining answered.

“I’m fine. So, how’s your mother? Shouldn’t she be due anytime now?”

Shining scratched his head, relieved that there was a topic they could talk about without him drifting off into the dreams of him wearing his polished armor and carrying her off in a romantic way, with everyone chasing them as they ran away to get married and live a happy life in a faraway land.

“Yeah, it could be any day now,” he replied, casually leaning against the wall, only to slip and fall on his side.

“Really?!! This is so GREAT! I love newborn foals,” Cadance replied exuberantly. She giggled when she saw Shining lying on the floor and picked him up with her magic, gently setting him down on his hooves.

“Erm, thanks,” Shining mumbled, a red tinge appearing on his face. Cadance giggled again. She could never admit it to him, but she found him rather cute. His ruffled blue mane with that rebellious, ice blue streak, his shining white coat, that cute blush he always had whenever looking at her or doing something stupid in front of her, and his beautiful eyes that seemed to shine with an inner spark. She always dreamed of him taking her in his guard armor, and bringing her to faraway lands to marry and have lots of foals with her.

She knew that this could never happen though. She was a princess after all and they were just friends. It wasn’t as if they were those kind of friends. Like lovers. But deep inside, she always awaited that day when he would claim her, take her and be her special somepony forever. She always felt that little fire inside her heart when looking at him. She always imagined that, as the princess of love, this was some kind of signal for her, like a ray of her beloved aunt’s sun on a stormy day.

She shook her head to clear her thoughts only to notice that Shining was looking at her with that same blank stare from before. She coughed to get his attention back.

“Well, how about we leave for history? I think today Mr. Grumpyfeathers will talk about his ancestor, Commander Hurricane,” Cadance said, looking at him expectantly. Shining groaned.

“Again?” he asked, clearly annoyed at the prospect. Cadance started to giggle, which Shining joined into soon after. “Alright,” he said, shaking his head, “Lead the way.” They started walking, only for Cadance to suddenly wrap a wing around him, which made his white cheeks look like they were burning with an inner fire. Cadence watched him with mirth. Who knows, she thought, maybe one day we will be more than ‘just friends.’

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Night Light approached his workplace, a little complex right in front of the gates that isolated the castle of the great Princess Celestia from the rest of the city of Canterlot. He entered the building, his thoughts at his home where he had to leave his heavily pregnant wife.

“Hey Night Light,” a voice called behind him. He turned around to see his colleague and best friend Star Shine approach him.

“Hey Shine,” Night Light greeted, shaking his friends hoof. “So, how’s the wife doing? Due anytime now, isn’t she?” Star casually asked as they began to walk towards their office. “Yes. And she’s always so excited. She is hoping it’s a filly this time,” Night Light replied as they passed their head’s office.

As if on cue, the boss stepped out of his office, cutting off Night Light and Star Shine. “Night Light, can I talk to you for a second? Star Shine, you may proceed with your work,” he said while keeping an eye on Night Light the whole time. Star Shine exchanged a worried glance with Night Light, before nodding and continuing his walk into their common office. Night Light started to sweat as he followed his boss and sat down in front of his desk.

“Night Light, there is a matter of great importance I was informed about. Something great is about to happen and I have to act as quickly as possible before the situation gets out of hoof,” he deadpanned.
Night Light gulped. What was wrong? Was he about to lose his job? But how would he feed his family without job? They would have to leave Canterlot. It would hurt both him and Velvet, but it would completely break Shining Armor, having to leave his friends, his (even if he denied it) great love Cadence, as well as making it harder for him to join the royal guard.

“W-what is t-t-the matter, Mr. Heartstrings?” he asked in a shaky voice.

“Well, Night Light. You are doing an excellent job, but…” Night Light’s heart sank “…I believe you should be at home now, tending to your pregnant wife,” Mr. Heartstrings continued, beginning to smile. “Therefore, I’m giving you off until three days after your foal’s birth so you have enough time to be with both him or her and your wife. Enjoy your time.” Night Light was at a loss of words.

“Th-thank you Mr. Heartstrings,” he stuttered. “But why are you doing this for me?”

Mr. Heartstrings turned a picture on his desk, showing him with a mint green unicorn foal on his back. “Because I’m a father myself, and therefore, I know how important it is to be present on your foal’s birth, as well as tending to the father – foal relationship,” he replied, still smiling.

“Thank you so much Sir,” Night Light all but shouted, before standing up and making his way out of the office.

“Hey, Night Light, where are you going?” Star Shine asked.

“I’m going Home. Mr. Heartstrings gave me off until three days after my foal’s birth for ‘bonding’,” Night Light said, winking at him.

“Great, have a good time, and remember to inform me once he or she is born,” Star Shine replied.

“Sure thing, you’re the first,” Night Light called before leaving.

Meanwhile, Velvet was at home, reading a book. As to not hurt her unborn foal, she was lying on her side, keeping the book up with her magic. It proved to be very strenuous, as she was still sharing her energy with her foal. After half an hour, she put the book down to take a short break, as sweat was beginning to appear on her forehead. Frowning slightly, she looked down at her belly.

When are you going to come out, my little pony? she asked herself while looking down at the spot most sacred to her. We are waiting for you. Your mommy wants to hold you so badly, so when are you going to be here?

As if answering her question, her foal gave a soft kick, making her belly bulge a little. She smiled. She knew that she would have the most beautiful foal in all of Equestria. Getting up, she remembered she had stayed at home for some time now, and decided it was high time to take a stroll.

As she approached the door, she suddenly felt her leg getting wet, followed by a pang in her belly. As she looked down, she saw a small puddle forming underneath her.

Now? she thought incredulously, Of all the times you could have chosen to come out in the past week, you’re choosing NOW? Velvet dropped to her knees as another pang ripped through her. She immediately set off the signal she and Night Light had been studying, for exactly this moment.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Night Light was just exiting the office complex when he heard some sort of ringing. He immediately knew what was up, as this was the ‘foal’s coming’ signal from Velvet. And he knew exactly what to do. He started to run in circles, absolutely NOT knowing what to do.

The foal’s coming, what should I do??? Wait, I should get home first and check on Velvet. Yes, that sounds right! he thought before setting of towards their house.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

“Oh Night Light, where are you?” Velvet hissed. She was lying on the floor, holding her belly as her labor was starting to increase in intensity and rate.

“MAKE WAY!” Night Light yelled as he raced down the road leading to his house, key already floating in his magic. Twenty paces away, he shot the key at the hole, throwing the door open to reveal a pained looking Velvet lying on the floor. “VELVET!,” Night Light yelled, scared at seeing his wife in such a state.

“STOP SCREAMING AROUND AND GET ME TO THE HOSPITAL YOU LUNKHEAD!” Velvet shouted back, screaming in pain as another pang made her whole frame shake.

Night Light stood in the door, unsure of what to do. “Um, how are you feeling?” he asked her. Velvet glared at him, the ends of her mane beginning to smolder. Night Light stepped back before working his magic and gently lifting Velvet onto his back before closing the door and running towards the hospital.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

They arrived a few minutes later, with Velvet screaming from time to time. Night Light stormed up to the counter, where a nurse was explaining something to an old stallion.

“Help, my wife is getting her foal,” Night Light said.

Before the nurse could reply, the old stallion turned, his face contorted in rage. “Hey, sonny, excuse me, but I’m in front of you. You sit down and wait ‘till it’s your turn,” he snarled, before turning and muttering, “Those darn kids today.”

“But Sir…,” Night Light said, “My wife is getting her foal and-”

Before he could continue however, a voice akin to the growl of a dragon sounded from his back. “LISTEN GRANDPA, YOU BETTER MOVE YOUR WRINKLED FLANK OUTTA THE WAY OR I’M GONNA KICK IT TO THE MOON,” Velvet screamed, her mane starting to burn. The old stallion almost collapsed, but immediately ducked away from the counter. Night Light looked at his wife in shock before shaking his head and addressing the nurse.

“My wife’s foal is coming,” he deadpanned.

“OK, Sir, when did she go into labor?” the nurse asked.

“TWENTY DARN MINUTES AGO,” Velvet screamed. The nurse cringed, but continued.

“Alright, you have to fill out this form to…” she started, but was interrupted by a manticore’s roar.

“I’LL GIVE YOU A FORM, YOU LITTLE…”

“Please, just hurry,“ Night Light pleaded, fearing for both his wife and his head.

The nurse nodded and called for a doctor. A few seconds later, a lanky stallion with a white mane and a bushy mustache entered the entrance area.

“Well, what seems to be the problem here?” he asked, eyeing them.

“My wife is having our foal any minute now,” Night Light answered.

“That’s great to hear, son, but what has this have to do with me?” the doctor asked, narrowing his eyes in thought. Night Light looked at him incredulous.

“IS HE SERIOUS??? HURRY UUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAA,” Velvet screamed, contracting even more.

“Please, you are the doctor, aren’t you?” Night Light asked.

“I am?” the old stallion replied. He looked down his body. “Oh, you’re right. That explains why I’m in a hospital. Please follow me,” he chuckled as he made his way to the maternity ward. Night Light looked after him, one of his eyes twitching. ‘I don’t even…’

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^


“Alright, I need you to press now, Velvet,” the doctor said. Despite being a little preoccupied, he proved to be a very skilled physician.

Velvet pressed with all her might, her face beginning to redden, sweat pouring down in streams. Night Light was standing beside her bed, holding her fore hoof.

“You are doing great, honey,” he whispered to her. Velvet only screamed as she convulsed again. She turned her face to glare at Night Light, smoke rising from her nostrils.

“YOU DID THIS TO ME! AGAIN! TWO TIMES IN MY SHORT LIFE! YOU MONSTER! YOU…YOU...” She stopped screaming only to start strangling him with her fore hooves. Two orderlies grabbed her to stop her. “LET ME GO! LET ME STRANGLE THIS MORON! HE DESERVES IT AND YOU KNOW IT!” Night Light got up from the ground, stepping next to her again and taking her fore hoof again.

“Honey, relax. It can’t be that bad, now can it?”

It is said that a mare giving birth develops strengths formerly unknown. Night Light soon found out that these claims were true as he was flung through the room, soon joined by two orderlies. A nurse quickly stepped next to Night Light.

“Are you alright?” she asked. Night Light, seeing stars, attempted to nod, only to collapse again.

“Perhaps you should go to the waiting area?” she asked. Night Light slowly nodded, getting up and out of the room, his wife’s screams accompanying him as he went.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A short time later Night Light was pacing around the room, nervously glancing at the clock on the wall.

Three thirty, he thought to himself. She’s been in there for one hour now. I wonder what’s- His train of thought was interrupted by a nurse entering the room.

Night Light rushed at her. “How is she? Is everything alright? How long’s it gonna take till I can see her? When –” The nurse placed a hoof over his mouth, silencing his chatter. Night Light slowly relaxed. When the nurse saw that he was calm, she drew her hoof away.

“Well?,” Night Light prompted, his gaze almost piercing the nurse. The nurse gave him a wide, warm smile.

“Congratulations sir, you are the father of a happy and very healthy little filly.” The corners of Night Light’s mouth lifted up until he was smiling so broad that the nurse feared she would have to sew him up again.

“Can I see them?” he asked, still grinning.

“Follow me” she said, turning and walking towards the maternity ward.


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When Night Light entered his wife’s room, he was immediately greeted by a sight of destruction. Bed sheets lay on the floor, ripped apart; an orderly was in a corner, still knocked out, and the equipment was varying from “scratched” to “annihilated.”

But the sight on the bed made up for it. In it Velvet reclined, holding a small bundle in her forelegs. When she saw Night Light approaching, she looked at him, smiling and shedding tears of joy. She shifted a little and showed Night Light the front side of the bundle.

In it was the most beautiful filly Night Light had ever seen. Her dark purple mane with the pink streak in it, her purple coat, her stubby little horn on top of her pretty head, and the cutest face Night Light had ever laid eyes on. As he watched, the filly yawned lightly before snuggling closer into her mothers’ coat.

Night Light sat down next to the bed, watching as the little filly, his little filly, began to snore lightly. He looked up to see that Velvet was watching him, smiling broadly.

“She’s so beautiful,” Night Light whispered, his own tears of happiness flowing from his eyes. Velvet nodded lightly as she lay there, basking in the warmth being a mother of a newborn foal brought to her heart. She watched as the little filly squirmed a bit in her sleep, and she brought her closer to her face to gently lick at her face and neck. The filly soon calmed down and drifted further to sleep. Night Light watched them, his heart swelling with pride.

“What name should we give her?” Velvet suddenly asked him. He pulled himself out of his dreamlike state and looked his wife in the eyes.

He smiled and got up to gently kiss his wife on her forehead, causing her to giggle lightly. “You choose, you deserve it after all you went through”, he said.

She looked down for a moment before whispering a soft apology. “What for?” Night Light asked.

“For yelling at you and hurting you,” she answered, a tear glistening in her eye. Night Light started to nuzzle her gently.

“It’s alright, you have nothing to feel sorry about,” he calmly replied.

“But…” Velvet started before Night Light placed a hoof on her mouth.

“It’s alright,” he repeated. She smiled at him.

“Now, name her,” Night Light said, winking at her. Velvet thought for a few minutes, Night Light patiently watching her. After a while, she locked eyes with him and started to smile again.

“I found the perfect name,” she said.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When Shining Armor got home from school, he was greeted with an empty house. “Hello? Anypony home?” he called, waiting for an reply. When none came, he stepped back outside, only to bump into their neighbor, Mr. Greenhooves.

“Hello Shining Armor, are you looking for your parents?” he friendly asked.

“Yes sir. Have you seen them?” Shining replied, looking up at the bulky stallion. He nodded.

“Your father left with your mother on his back. Sounded like she was in labor. If I were you, I would head to the hospital. Well, goodbye then,” he said, turning around and walking back towards his home. Shining stood there for a moment before closing the door and starting towards the hospital.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Velvet and Night Light were chatting lightly when the door opened, revealing a panting Shining Armor. “Mom, Dad, I came here as soon as I heard the news,” he said, gasping.

“Shining, relax, everything is alright,” Night Light replied, stepping up to his son. “Congratulations, son, you have a little sister now. Go on and see her,” he said, smiling.

As soon as Shining could breathe steadily, he approached the bed. His mother smiled up at him, before turning the bundle she was holding towards him. “Wow. She’s gorgeous,” he stated, closing the distance and looking into his sisters’ little face.

Roused from his voice, the filly opened her eyelids to reveal two beautiful purple eyes. The filly eyed him for a second before giving a delighted squeal, and hugging his muzzle. She nuzzled his muzzle before closing her eyes and falling to sleep again. Velvet chuckled. “She already seems to like you, Shining,” she whispered.

Shining Armor’s eyes opened wide before he relaxed and gave a big smile. “She has to be the cutest filly I ever laid eyes on. What’s her name?” he asked. Velvet smiled and locked eyes with him.

“Shining Armor, I’d like to introduce you to your little sister, Twilight Sparkle.”

End of Chapter 1