• Published 31st Oct 2012
  • 6,075 Views, 69 Comments

Twilight's New Nightmare Night Costume - theRedBrony



Twilight uses a spell to look like a zombie, what could possibly go wrong?

  • ...
10
 69
 6,075

This Costume Bites...

After last year's Nightmare Night fiasco, no not with Luna, Twilight's unrecognizable Starswirl costume… the studious unicorn worked tirelessly for months ahead of time to achieve the perfect costume. All those experiments and sleepless nights of study were finally about to pay off.

Spike was anxiously pacing around the library's main room. "Are you ready yet, Twi?" He called up the stairs.

"Coming!" Twilight responded, a moment later, she gleefully trotted down the stairs, wearing… nothing but her birthday suit.

She merely smiled at Spike while he stuck a claw under the hood of his dragon costume to scratch his head in confusion. Celestia knows why a dragon would wear a dragon costume…

No, literally, she does. Go ask her.

"Uh… you're going as… yourself?" He asked.

"No Spike, this isn't my costume!" She giggled.

"Uh, where is it then?"

"Right here!" Twilight scrunched up her face in concentration as a bright purple light shot from her horn. A flash of purple flame engulfed her body, when the light faded, Spike got a good look at her.

"Whoa!" Spike exclaimed.

"So… What do you think?" Twilight said with a disturbingly huge smug grin, made even more disturbing by her 'costume.' Spinning around slowly, she showed off the work she was so proud of.

And what a piece of work she was… or it was… she looked very much undead. Her purple coat was grayed out, various blood splotches on it, her mane and tail were grayed out as well, and frizzled about as bad as when she woke up from sleeping in on a Sunday. A large chunk of flesh was missing from her face, exposing most of her left side teeth. Gashes in her sides, and even a small hole in her belly where a bit of intestines hung out. Her right foreleg was missing all flesh and muscle from right above the hoof to about halfway up, showing nothing but bare bones with bite marks on them. Her left hind hoof was unnaturally bent sideways and she was walking on it like that. Her horn even had a chip in it.

Spike eyeballed her a bit before saying, "I think you're going to scare the living hay out of the whole town!"

"I am? Cool!"

"No Twilight, I mean it! You're gonna start a riot or something…" He looked away and muttered, "…again."

"Don't be silly Spike, ponies love being scared on Nightmare Night!"

Sighing in defeat, because he knew he wouldn't get through to her, Spike then asked, "So is this what you've been working on in the basement for the past couple months?"

"Yea! Sorry I wouldn't let you in to see what I was doing… I uh… I really wanted it to be a surprise! Yea that's why! I totally wasn't experimenting on changelings or anything!" Twilight laughed nervously.

Spike just sighed again.


Twilight briskly trotted over to where Applejack was, at the apple bobbing tub. She was wearing her usual scarecrow costume, and helping the foals with the various games there were to play. Twilight avoided being seen until she was almost right next to the farmer, after which, she slowed her walk to an accurately recreated zombie shamble as she approached her friend.

She didn't get too close before Applejack turned around and noticed her. Twilight let out a deep zombie moan to match her blank face.

"Whoa nelly! A zombeh!" Applejack cried.

Twilight barely got a chance to say 'fooled you!' before she got two shod orange hooves right in her face.

"OOOWWWWW! MY NOSE!" Twilight cried, now on the ground, holding her nose with a hoof.

Spike had caught up with his unicorn friend and was now snickering at what happened.

"Uh… Twilight?" The scarecrow pony turned around slowly and looked at her zombified friend on the ground.

"Yea…" she responded, her voice quite nasally, "it's me, Applejack."

"Ahm mighty sorry Twi! Ya just scared the livin' hay outta me!" The scarecrow helped the zombie get back on her hooves.

"It's OK, I should've seen that coming…" She admitted with her head tilted up, holding a hoof to her nose.

"Well, Twi, if it's any consolation, that's a right fine, er… costume ya got there!"

"You like it?"

"Of course I do! I thought ya was the real deal!"

"Well, if you want, I could make you look like this too, all I have to do is…"

Meanwhile, a certain multicolored pegasus was pushing a small storm cloud across the sky. Seeing Applejack, Rainbow Dash decided to sneak up on her and buck a thunderbolt from her cloud to scare the scarecrow. But, when Rainbow got closer, she saw…

"APPLEJACK! LOOK OUT! I'LL SAVE YOU!"

Dash bucked the cloud and it sent a well-aimed lightning bolt crashing down right at zombie Twilight.

"Rainbow! What are ya doing?!" Applejack scolded her.

"Saving your flank from that zombie! It was about to bite you!" Dash protested.

"That ain't no zombie! That's Twilight!" She pointed to the twitching purple zombie on the ground.

Twilight moaned and shook her head to straighten her eyes that were rolling around in her skull. Spike helped her up, and she wobbly stood and tried to brush her mane down, it was standing straight up. She grumbled at Dash.

"Uh, heh heh… Sorry Twi…" Dash apologized bashfully.

"Anyway," Twilight started, "I was about to give Applejack here my costume…"

Rainbow just cocked an eyebrow at that.

"Go ahead Twi, I'm ready." Applejack smiled.

Twilight walked up to her, as if about to nuzzle her, but instead bit her shoulder. A gentle nibble that didn't hurt of course. A few seconds later, and a purple flame engulfed the orange mare, then dissipated to reveal a zombie scarecrow.

"It worked!" AJ exclaimed.

"OOH! Do me next!" Dash's wings popped up in excitement. "I wanna be a zombie Shadow Bolt!"

"Go ahead, AJ!" Twilight said.

"Really? I can do it too?"

Twilight nodded. "That's the best part of the spell! That, and it wears off by itself in four hours!" She proclaimed proudly.

"Oh great," Spike piped up, "Now the whole town's gonna be zombies…"


Later…


A chariot pulled by dark gray, bat-winged pegasi descended from the sky.

As it landed, the dark, hooded figure riding in the chariot smiled. "This shall be a most wonderful night!"

Her entrance was noticed by the whole town of Ponyville, as everypony stared in her direction. A few small costumed foals ran up to the Princess of the Night. The leader of the group of foals was a tiny little colt in a (zombie) pirate costume.

Princess Luna's cheery expression fell to a despairing frown. She looked over the foals then briefly observed the other townsponies. "Not again…" she muttered in a shaky voice.

"Hi Princess! Are you going to scare us again?!" Pipsqueak asked excitedly.

Luna's eyes widened. "Thy master hast even enchanted thou to speak…" she muttered.

The foals sat there looking confused.

"GUARD! Give us thy spear!" Luna commanded.

One of the two night guards unstrapped himself from the harness and quickly hoofed over a spear to the Princess of the Night. The spear floated up high in her magical blue aura.

"Fear not my children… I shall end your pain!" A tear rolled down her cheek as she stepped off the chariot and ran after the little foals who were fleeing in terror.


Author's Notes: Hi guys! Thanks for reading, please comment, let me know what you think!

I thought I should write something for Nightmare Night, so I came up with this. If you haven't already, please check out my other fics, and if you liked this, don't forget to 'Follow' me! I've got some cool fics in the works and I won't spam you with blog posts!

Hope y'all liked this, took me about a day to write. Hopefully worthy of a little oneshot.

Comments ( 69 )

THIS IS GOOD.

Bwahahahahah! That ending! :rainbowlaugh: Wonderful job, bro. All my lulz. :rainbowwild:

Oh! That ending! :rainbowlaugh:

Wow. Bad end. (In a good way:pinkiecrazy:)

Luna: *Sigh* Tia?
Celestia: Yup?
Luna: Get your shotgun.
Trolestia: Are we going fishing?
th01.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2012/289/f/e/two_best_sisters_play____by_br0ny-d5i0qwj.png

She looks like something from a fucked up R.L. Stine book or a George Romaro film.

Scumbag Red, doesn't use Rayne. :(

They're all gonna die!!:raritycry:

Not sure if Twilight was actually a zombie or not.

:yay:
Now someone just needs to nibble Luna!

That was pretty hilarious, especially the punchline.

There are only two problems I had with it, and the first is Spike: just because he has a dry, sardonic attitude doesn't mean he sighs and groans over everything, and I just realized that I've seen ne'er a trace of the excited, happy-go-lucky part of his personality in fanfiction. I would have expected him to be delighted with Twilight's awesome costume and concerned for her when AJ bucked her in the face.

The second thing that didn't live up to what I was expecting was where Twilight's storyline gave way to the epilogue. After she pulled her Bill Murray and then got zapped by Rainbow Dash, it looked like she would become the target of a running gag, encountering all kinds punishment at each instance in which she shows off her costume. But that wasn't the case.

Other than those two drawbacks, this was a lot of short-lived fun. I especially like the concept that Twilight would enjoy coming up with such a morbid concept for a costume.

1536997 1537009 1537071 :pinkiehappy:
1537023 1537045 I thought it was clever :rainbowwild:
1537093 lol
1537097 That's kinda the idea... less of a costume and more of a zombie.
1537103 Meh, she would have been out of place.
1537196 Dark tag! :raritywink:
1537347 She actually looked like one. But no, she wasn't infected or anything.
1537352 Hmmm... :trixieshiftleft:
1537418 I'll be honest, I wanted to do more, like you said, have a running gag with Twi getting hurt by her friends. But I wanted to keep it short. I initially planned to include all the mane 6 plus cmc, but it was getting a bit long for what I anticipated. Besides, I wrote this in like 1 day, I was kinda like 'oh shit 3 days til Nightmare Night, I should write a oneshot special for it.' As for Spike, you're right you don't see much of his happy-go-lucky side. I did have him snickering at Twilight's first injury though... Glad you liked it anyway!
1537482 :duck:

Twas a great read!

Did Luna figure out that it was just a misunderstanding?:trixieshiftleft:
Or did a seemingly harmless gesture come with the ultimate price?:trixieshiftright:
We will never know!:rainbowlaugh:

Just realized... Twilight spent FOUR MONTHS preparing herself to die!

and now you must realise


4 is death

the zombos are a commin'

who will be the 'one man cheeseburger apocolypse'?

This is probably a reference to the TF2 cursed souls, isn't it? :trixieshiftleft: :trixieshiftright:

eeyup twilights realistic zombie idea caused a misunderstanding and now Princess Luna is going to kill everypony in town

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL, as long as she didn't bite flutters its o.k.

I can only imagine the aftermath. Luna stands triumphant against the zombie hordes, only to see the costumes wearing off on the bodies.

Luna: Oopsies.....

1538166
Celestia: Luna, what have you done to my little ponies?

good short story even if i would liked a longer story
Still i wonder if this is will really wear off after 4 hours :pinkiecrazy:

1537719 Burger......TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1537491 I actually didn't even finish it until now. The only thing I said at the end was "Shit". Great story though awesome concept with an even better execution.

BAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

Oh dear, oh dear.

*notices word count*
Hmm.
Was that deliberate, or just proof that this could hit featured easily?

1545169
MUUHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

1536997

YOU...

...YOU

...YOU STOLE MY SKYPE PROFILE IMAGE! :flutterrage:
One I screencapped myself. :twilightoops:

1648242....I....I'm so sorry:fluttershysad:......I can change! I swear!:raritydespair:

This was great, good job. :pinkiehappy:

I would have loved to see more, when something is this good never be afraid to make it long. :heart:

Thank you very much for sharing it with us. :scootangel:

Sorry! Late replies! :fluttershysad:

1537500 The world may never know And duh, this is Twilight we're talking about here! :twilightoops:
1537719 MUH FRENDS CALL ME COACH.
1537753 I don't think so Tim.
1537822 That's pretty much the jist of it. :eeyup:
1538026 I dunno... :trollestia:
1538166 lol
1538538 I had a longer version planned, but it got kinda dry. Thanks tho!
1539733 Wow! Thanks!
1540205 LUL. :rainbowlaugh:
1542295 Oh goodness, everypony's a zombie... :fluttershbad:
1545169 lol it was Geta's Idea, twas close to the number when I posted so I did some editing afterwards. Shame it didn't get featured, oh well!
2012701 Sorry! The long version got kinda dry, so I shortened it. And you're welcome! And thanks for the watch! I really appreciate it! :pinkiehappy:

you could upload the long version in a separate chapter. that would be interesting also I'd love to see celestia's reaction to luna's slaughter.:twilightsmile:

This is superb lol

twilight, what the hell are we going to do with you?:twilightoops:

2063203 Meh, I honestly have a lot more to write for other stories :unsuresweetie:
2116511 :pinkiehappy: Glad ya like it! Not exactly my best work, but definitely not my worst!
2604151 hehehe... silly Twilight... torturing changelings for here own scientific/magical gains... :pinkiesmile:

2606168 That wouldn't be the weirdest/creepiest/sadistic thing i have heard her do :ajbemused:

2606204 Stay tuned! I'm writing a story like that! Interestingly, it was just a thought that crossed my mind, so I hinted at it in this story. Then I got to thinking... that would make a great story!

Ha cute, funny and ... Well funny! I liked it!

3400945 Hehe, glad you liked it! :twilightsmile:

Needed to be longer. :pinkiesad2:

**********Spoilers***********

Now I just think Luna killed a bunch of foals...

:pinkiecrazy:This will be fun... I've always enjoyed a good hunt...

Yes. All of my yes.

4093737 Glad you liked it!

I finally understand Twilight's role in the group: she'd the lightning rod, the friend you keep around to attract and ground any free floating suck. Perhaps that also explains why I've such an unnatural attachment to her. :trixieshiftright:

Login or register to comment