• Published 21st Jun 2013
  • 1,185 Views, 7 Comments

Inverted Rainbow - cloudedguardian



Queen Pinkamena Diane Pie investigates the circus town of Feabitter

  • ...
0
 7
 1,185

~~~~~

Pinkie’s hooves clacked gently against the town’s cobblestone path. She took a deep breath, smelling the baked goods, popcorn, and foreign sweets that were being sold. They all smelled amazing, and her guide was more than willing to help her taste everything.

Feabitter, a town and circus in one, native purely to Unicorns; It, along with four other towns, were under investigation by the new six rulers, Rainbow Dash getting the pleasure of keeping an eye on Equestria. Rainbow was not pleased with this duty, as it involved a lot of paperwork and little else.

Feabitter seemed to be an innocent, sweet town, with only wanting to bring smiles to its visitors… But there were many dark rumors about it, and Pinkie felt it only right for her to be the one to investigate it. Sadem, a bustling traders city with many old plays and Broadway musicals, holding rumors of Black Magic and sorcerers, was under Twilight’s discerning eye. “பேடா”, a town of animal shows and harvest festivals, was being investigated by Fluttershy for rumors of animal cruelty, despite them being (on the surface at least) extremely protective of their animal friends. Sophor, a merchants town, supposedly hid a smugglers ring, so Rarity was going to look it over. Finally, Winthers was being investigated by Apple-Jack, as they were asking for funds for a famine, despite holding the most extensive farms in all the surrounding diplomatic countries.

A young earth-pony filly was handing out flyers for the circus, and Pinkie happily took one before continuing onto the Mayor/Ringmaster’s house. As she reached it, the mayor stepped out with a chuckle and greeted her warmly.

“Ah, Queen Pinkamena Diana Pie, we are so very pleased to have you!”

Pinkie giggled lightly. “You can just call me Pinkie if you like, I’m still getting used to this “Queen” bit.”

“Of course, of course.” The mayor laughed, and a gangly earth colt behind him trotted out to offer her a cup of tea, or something a little stronger.

“No thank you.” Pinkie said softly, and the little black colt backed up with a bow.

“Well, let’s clear up these nasty little rumors already, shall we?” The Mayor asked lightly, and Pinkie nodded.

“By all means! I would also like to see your circus.”

“But of course! I’ll show you around town now, and we can see the circus in the evening.” He laughed boisterously, beckoning for his little helper to keep up.

“Oh, one thing though, I think I missed your name.” Pinkie asked sweetly as they started their way down the path.

“I’m merely the Ringmaster, or Mayor, whichever you please.”

“Okie Dokie Lokie!”

“What?”


Looking through the entire town was exhausting. By the time she had finished exploring all of Feabitter, her legs were aching, and she was beginning to wish she could fly through the rest of the town, just to save on her poor sore hooves. Though, she had to admit, Feabitter seemed to be exactly what it appeared to be – A boisterous, beautiful town, determined to make every visitor laugh.

When they finally reached City Hall again, more commonly known as the Ringmaster’s tent, Pinkie was extremely relieved to see it. She was invited in to have Supper with them, and despite having snacked all afternoon she was looking forward to the meal. As her hosts prepared the meal, she found herself talking to the little black colt that she had briefly met this morning.

“So, what’s your name little one?” She asked sweetly, and the young colt seemed surprised at her question.

“Nightshade, miss.”

“Well, hello Nightshade, pleased to meet you! Have you always lived here?”

“Oh, no miss. I came here a few years ago. But I was very happy to join the traveling circus!”

“Oooh, really? Any particular reason?”

“Uh-huh, I hope to find an inverted rainbow!” Nightshade exclaimed happily.

“A… what?” Pinkie laughed.

“An inverted rainbow. The Ringmaster is really smart, and he knows all sorts of legends. One is that if you find an inverted rainbow, a lost family member will be found again.” Pinkie’s eyebrows went up, and Nightshade expanded. “I’m looking for my Mama. I lost her back-“

“Hey colt, come help me with this.” Pinkie hadn’t learned her name yet, but she recognized the Mayor’s wife by her voice.

“I better go. Nice talking to you!”

“You too!”


After eating an amazing supper, Pinkie was brought by her hosts to the Grand Circus, the town’s pride and joy. It was easy to see why, as well. The show was amazing, every moment full of excitement and wonder. The costumes were brilliant and colorful, and the music rich and delightful. The acts were as amazing and awe-inspiring, only one slipping up a bit; Two young fillies doing a juggling act. Balls are hard to hold onto with hooves, and they accidentally dropped a couple. Pinkie felt bad for them, as she could see their disappointment clear on their faces.

Hours later, the show over, Pinkie stepped out of the grand tent and stretched. Maybe there’s nothing to these rumors after all. Maybe it could just be jealousy from other towns... She wondered, as the Mayor trotted up to her, his Ringmaster hat still jauntily placed on-top his head.

“Did you enjoy the show?” He asked, grin wide…

“Big time!” Pinkie laughed, but something was gnawing at her.

Something felt... off, and as he continued to rattle on about various things, Pinkie found her mood sinking as a dark feeling pulled at her gut.

“I hate to interrupt, but where’s Nightshade gone off to? I would like to say goodbye to him before I go.” After realizing the young colt’s absence, Pinkie was surprised at the amount of confusion her question brought to the Mayor’s eyes.

“Who-? OH! Nightshade, ah yes… Ah, he must have gotten tired and headed home, foals need their sleep you know.”

The answer seemed logical enough, but, his smile seemed fake… No, faker, now that she thought about it… His smiles had always been plastered and wide, but his eyes cold. Her necklace felt chilly against her neck, as something told her that he was speaking only lies.

“Oh. I guess that makes sense.” Pinkie said softly. “Let him know I said goodbye though.”

“Of course!” Teeth flashing, he seemed grateful to see her go.

She stepped away, down the street and away from the crowd and out of sight, before unfurling her wings and heading towards the back tents. Then, a familiar but unfitting sound caught her ear, a filly’s crying.

In the rumble of the many ponies laughter and the thunder of all the hoof-steps, it should have been inaudible; But a Alicorn’s hearing is better than most, and it had been heard by her.

“I’m sorry.” It sobbed. “I’m so sorry, I won’t screw up again.”

As she grew closer to the tent it came from, she could hear an angry stallions voice as well.

“You said that last time,” his angry growls punctuated by a cracking noise she did not know, ‘and the time before that,” *crack* “and the time before THAT..! You worthless piece of-“ *crack*

Feet away, she could hear that each crack barely covered a begging scream, and her heart began to pound as she wondered what was going on. Speeding up she stepped into the tent, in time to see what made the noise.

The unicorn stallion held a whip with his magic, it making that horrid noise as it came down on the twin fillies that she had seen trying to do the juggling act. As the whip came up again, she ran forward, her own magic stepping in to interfere.

“STOP! What are you doing?!” The whip hit the ground, the stallion backing up as Pinkie placed herself between the stallion and the hurt fillies.

As he stepped back, her eye was caught by a shivering black lump of fur only feet away from the twin girls.

“N-nightshade..!” Pinkie was about to run over to him when the Ringmaster, along with two of his bodyguards, stepped into the tent as well.

“What’s going on?!” She demanded, and the Mayor sneered, spitting out the grass stem he was chewing on.

“Now, see, we could have ended this all nice. You just had to come and find this.” He grumbled, his voice laced with the disgust he had been hiding all day. “You little bastard excuse for an Alicorn. You’re nothing but an Earth Pony that the Princess hastily called royalty due to you and her student being friends. Tch.”

“N-no… Not just that… It’s because I have the Element of Laughter…” Pinkie began, before wondering why she was defending herself against him.

“To be frank, I don’t care. Especially since you’re not leaving. Really, It's a shame, I was hoping that this all would go so much easier now that we didn't have Celestia's all knowing eye on us.”

“W-what? What are you talking about..?”

“…they’re slavers miss.” Nightshade struggled to his hooves. “They enslave earth ponies with their magic… No-one’s supposed to kn-“ His voice ended in a hurt scream as he was blasted back by one of the Mayor’s lackeys.

Pinkie’s head whipped back to glare at the stallion, who was laughing crudely. He sneered at her as the magic began to leave her mane, it slowly going from its vibrant smoke form to long and straight as tears bit at her eyes… And the magic began to gather in her chest.

Why.” She demanded coldly, her heart pounding out a maniacal beat in her throat.

“Why?” The Mayor laughed. “Why not? They are just a bunch of worthless meat-bags that dare call themselves ponies. And if they can’t even do their jobs well,” His gaze slipping over the injured twins, “Or insist on talking back to their master… Daring to interfere… Then they don’t even have the right to live…” it rested on Nightshade as he continued to speak, before returning to meet her furious one. “Now do they?”

Tears pouring down her cheeks, rage awakening magic she barely knew how to use, her voice hissed out through clenched teeth.

I’m…..na….you…

“What was that, your Highness?” The Ringmaster sneered, taking a step forward as his voice mocked her title.

I’m gonna kill you.

Blue eyes blazing, her magic beginning to crackle around her hooves, her voice held an edge to it that no-one had ever heard from her. It was now that the Ringmaster finally paled, no longer wholly confident that the magic of this “fake alicorn” would be weaker than his and his goons… For the tent was slowly beginning to burn in brilliant blue fire, freezing cold, surrounding and trapping him, while leaving the three little ones safe and warm.

The Alicorn before him spread her wings wide, as the magic took form into a brilliant dragon…The last thing he would ever see.


In the ruins of a town known just yesterday as Feabitter, a slithering shadow made its way towards a certain Pink Alicorn, crouched in the ashes, her wings spread protectively over three young ponies. She was cursing that she did not know a single healing spell, her tears dripping onto the scorched earth below.

“I-it’s… it’s alright… Miss… Don’t cry for us.” The one filly said softly, and Pinkie tried to stem the flow in an attempt to comfort her.

“I’m scared…” The other filly whispered, as she laboured to breath.

“No, no don’t be… Everything will be okay… I’ll… I’ll find a way…” Pinkie muttered hastily, desperately searching the ruins. It’s not fair… they were sick as it was… Why did those... monsters have to hurt them? Push them even further… Pinkie was about to burst out crying again. And I don’t have any way to help them… I’m so useless!

“Miss… Do you know any songs…?” Nightshade asked softly, and Pinkie nodded slightly.

“Uh-huh… Lots… But… Just one right now.”

Ohhh, When I was a little filly and the sun was going down~” She sang softly, letting her voice rise and fall gently to weave the melody she knew so well… Much slower and sadder than it had ever been before though…

The darkness and the shadows, they would always make me frown~

I'd hide under my pillow from what I thought I saw…

But Granny Pie said that wasn't the way to deal with fear at all..

She had to stop and swallow the lump in her throat down, taking a deep breath before continuing.

She said: Pinkie, you gotta stand up tall, learn to face your fears

You'll see that they can't hurt you, just laugh to make them disa...ppear~” Her voice choked in a hiccup, but she continued on, soft and sweet.

So, giggle at the ghostie…

Guffaw at the ghostly…

Crack up at the creepy,

Whoop it up with the weepy…

Chortle at the kooky,

Snortle at the spooky…

And tell that big dumb scary face to take a hike and leave you alone and if he thinks he can scare you,” Pinkie choked again, her voice changing slightly, becoming more protective, “Well then, he's got another thing coming… and the very idea of such a thing just…” The two fillies’ breaths were shallow… “Just…Makes you…” And they grew shallower still… “…wanna…” Till the next breath simply didn’t come… And Pinkie’s song was cut short by her tears renewing themselves down her cheek.

“…miss…” Nightshade sounded like he could barely breath himself, and Pinkie pulled her wings tighter around him, trying to keep his small form warm. “…thank you for the song…”

Pinkie nodded, finding herself unable to say anything. The next few moments were silent. When Nightshade finally spoke again, he sounded more disappointed than scared.

“I guess… I never will find it though…” Pinkie looked at him in confusion, until he clarified what he meant after another struggled breath. “The inverted rainbow… It… Was all I really wanted…”

Pinkie’s eyes filled with tears again, and for a second Nightshade tried to comfort her… Then;

“Miss..! Look!” He breathed out, his weak voice filled with wonder. And Pinkie, startled, followed his gaze over her shoulder.

In the darkening sky, the strangest, yet most beautiful sight caught their eyes. An arch of color stretched across the horizon before them; The top most parts the clearest, most brilliant blue, which slowly darkened into a deep purple, which then slowly richened into a vivid pink, which then dipped into a fiery orange, that slowly dimmed into gold, the very edges of which were a metallic green. The clouds below this strange sight were tinted in the up-side down colors of a rainbow, violet coming first, and red last.

Nightshade was enraptured by the image, and stared at it even as his own sight began to dim. Finally, he laughed softly, much to Pinkie’s surprise. His last breath, eyes full of happy tears and a smile on his face, was a single sentence;

“Mama… I’m home…”

~~~

Around midnight, Pinkie found herself at the top of Feabitter peak, looking up at Luna’s star filled sky, the tiny part of her mind still functioning wondering whether it had been Rarity or Rainbow Dash that had raised the moon. She had buried the three foals and given them the most beautiful graves she knew how to create. A soft rustling caught her ear, which instinctively turned towards it, even as the sound faded to silence. She knew what it was though…

“Thank you.” She spoke aloud to the darkness. “For what you did.”

She slowly got to her hooves and turned to face the darkened trees. With a very small, sad smile, she added;

“I don’t think you’ll ever know how much it meant to him.”

For a minute, it would seem to an outsider that she was talking to herself. Then, a shadow from the trees broke itself off and stepped into the moonlight, revealing itself to be not a shadow at all, but a certain draconequues.

“I can take a pretty good guess.” Discord said softly, as he flew over to her side. “Anyway, who says Chaos is a bad thing?”

Pinkie’s sad smile grew slightly. “No-one, I guess.”

“Hm. Normally I would be commenting on how much of a head-start you’ve gotten on your rock garden… But somehow I don’t think this is the time.” Discord said lightly, casting, just perhaps, a concerned look at the pink mare beside him.

The Element around her neck did not hold the shimmer it normally did, but neither did it hold the darkness it had when he seen her magic unleash itself in destruction.

The two sat in silence for almost an hour, the only movement being the tip of Discord’s tail twitching, and occasionally Pinkie’s mane when the wind decided to pick up. It was her sad voice the finally broke the silence.

“…what have I done..?”

“Not bad.”

“I’m serious Discord.” Pinkie muttered darkly.

“So am I. You should have seen Celestia’s first tantrum.” He whistled, before adding with a reminiscent chuckle, “The damage you just did will be easily repaired or even reversed if you six got to it. What she did? Eh, not so much.”

Pinkie looked up at the draconequues in curiosity, before cautiously asking, “What DID she do?”

“Burned a small country to the ground.”

Pinkie’s jaw dropped, and Discord rolled onto his back, laughing hysterically at the look on her face. “What? You don’t think she’s been wise and benevolent since birth do you? HA! Nah, she made her mistakes… And a lot of good cakes too.”

Pinkie couldn’t help but laugh just a little at the last comment. There was silence for another minute, before Pinkie poked Discord gently in the arm with the tip of her hoof. “Do you know why?” She prodded.

“Of course I do. What a silly question.” He caught the look she was giving him and chuckled. “Pretty much the same reason you did. The place was wrought with slavery and pirates, and all sorts of other nasties too… That don’t even exist anymore in this time, thanks to her.” After a minute, he added, “Although she got a lot more, uh, delicate at handling them as time went on.”

Pinkie looked back down at the grass before her as she thought over what he said. Silence settled as she disappeared into her thoughts… And despite everything that had happened, she began to feel just a little bit at peace.

The silence was broken by Discord’s soft chuckle, and a quiet pop. She looked over to him as he rolled to his feet, before looking at her tail, where a bright golden yellow balloon had been tied.

“It’s getting rather late don’t’cha think?” Discord chuckled as he pointed to the rising dawn. “It’s time to head on home, silly filly.”

He grinned over his shoulder at her before walking away into the forest.

“This balloon isn’t going to pop and dump stuff all over me, is it?” Pinkie called to his retreating back.

“Would I do that?”

“Yes.”

Discord barked a laugh, and before whisking off somewhere else, replied lightly; “So true. But, no, not this time.”

After he left, Pinkie sat and watched the sun come up, Discord’s balloon bopping in the breeze. Then, she stood, gave one last look at the ruins and graves behind her, and flew on home.

~FIN

Comments ( 7 )

Extremely temporary cover art is by me.
You see, my best friend was making some freakin' awesome cover art for me- And then life ran her over twice over.
I have complete faith she'll get to it... After giving life a good one-two. :raritywink:

I hope you enjoyed Inverted Rainbow, and are looking forward to the rest of the Ascension side stories I have planned. :ajsmug:

A/N: I wrote this waaaaaaaaay back near the beginning of Ascension (back when I had writers block over Fashion, Feathers and Flight, to be precise), despite the fact that it connects up to Ascension IN THE FREAKIN' SEQUEL. One of the side effects to writing your chapters out of chronological order. So, as many of you have probably noted, the writing style of this is seriously outdated compared to my more recent chapters. Therefore, this will be getting a complete rewrite for the sequel, at which point this will be taken down, and the rewrite posted as a chapter for Corruption. Most likely, the other POV side stories will be posted as chapters as well, to avoid confusing new readers. Until then however, well, enjoy the Sneak Peek :P Dad's been bugging me to put this up since I wrote it, and now that I finally can without spoiling things all to heck, well. There you go :3

Been waiting on this to come out!

JOY!

~Skeeter The Lurker

2756219
If you find any mistakes, mail'em to me so I can make note of them for the rewrite :3

Update: You never fail to impress.

~Skeeter The Lurker

2756227

Indeed, I'll keep my eyes open for them.

~Skeeter The Lurker

Me gusta temper tantrams and discord seemes to be in a good mood looks like hes going to be a voice of reason sprinkled with a good bit of nonsense and tomfoolery
well lets get this show on the road and as for that jerk life tell your friend a bat works quite nicely for teaching lessons well that or pudding its definitly one or the other

Heartbreaking. Kind of a bitter thing to read on Christmas Eve...

Login or register to comment