• Published 6th Dec 2012
  • 4,884 Views, 121 Comments

My Little Professor: Farnsworth's an Idiot - Lavaman



Planet Express finds a strange object in space and gets trapped there.

  • ...
22
 121
 4,884

Prologue: Another Planet

Hunched over a large telescope-looking object, was a wrinkly old man with a lab coat and light blue slippers. The old man was none other than the famous Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth, creator of robots, and founder of Planet Express Shipping Company. He was busy at work on his Smelloscope, a device capable of giving the user scents from any solid object in space, as he recorded the smells of different planets for future use. He smelt the terrible odor coming from Guano 8, a planet infested with bat people, and his nose curled at the stench while he recorded his findings. He adjusted various levers and knobs, moving the Smelloscope slightly to the left. He placed his nostrils upon two small pipes, inhaling deeply. It smelled of flowers and cake in an old barnyard, but he had never smelled such a scent in all of his lifetime.

He was quite curious about the unknown planet, for he had thought, for sure, all planets in the entire universe had been discovered and mapped. He scribbled down some notes, but soon stopped, as the Smelloscope couldn’t provide enough information for a good report of the planet. So, he gathered his things and went to the New, New York Observatory.

He walked outside to the nearest transport tube, the fast way to travel across the city thanks to vacuum suction, hopped inside, and was whizzed off towards the observatory. It shined in the sunlight, with its beautiful dome and large, powerful telescope that could see millions of light years away. The Professor passed through the doors, and signed up to use the telescope for “Personal Studies”. Luckily, the telescope wasn’t in use at the moment, so the Professor only had to wait a few minutes for it to be prepped.

He set his things down on a table near the telescope, and put his eye up to the lens as he adjusted the telescope to the proper coordinates. He nearly had a heart attack from what he had found; absolutely nothing. He was confused. How can something that is nonexistent be capable of making such an odd smell? He checked his coordinates again, to find that they were correct as well. He proceeded to write down as many observations he could possibly manage, and then went back outside to take another tube back to Planet Express.

“Odd news, everyone!” The Professor said as he walked into the break room. Everyone turned their attention onto him, who was as giddy as a schoolgirl. "I have discovered an invisible object in space in a faraway galaxy with the Smelloscope! We need to travel there and make observations, and possibly test dangerous chemicals on any possible inhabitants." He rubbed his hands together and laughed maniacally. Leela stood up to prepare the ship for space travel.

“Alright then. Fry and Bender, help the Professor load the ship with anything he needs. I'll be doing a routine check to make sure we're ship shape for a long distance space flight."

"Awww, why do we have to do all the grunt work?" moaned Bender as he walked down the hallway with Fry. The trip would most likely end up being another one of the Professor's boring space flights, possibly ending with a wrecked Planet Express Ship. But, his circuits sparked and his fans whirred as he formulated a plan that would get him through this impending boredom.

"Hey Fry, I'm sure this is just gonna be another crappy space flight. So, I think we should spice things up with a little contest..." He opened up his chest cavity, and pulled out a plastic bag filled with a black and dark green substance, with orange specks throughout it.

"What the hell is that?" asked Fry, backing up as he got a whiff of it. It smelled like all the garbage dumps on the world populated by a million Zoidbergs.

"This, my human friend, is the gunk underneath Zoidberg's armpit. You don't wanna know what I had to do to get this." He said, tucking the bag back into his compartment.

"So what's the contest, and what are the stakes?" said Fry, clearly interested.

"We’re gonna to prank the crew and anyone else we meet. First one to a hundred pranks wins bragging rights and five bucks. The loser has to eat that Zoidberg stuff." The robot extended his metal claw for a handshake,


"So, what do you say?"

Fry grasped the claw, and the contest officially began.

---

It had taken about an hour to load up the ship with everything necessary for the trip, as the Professor's equipment was heavy, and there was the possibility that there wasn’t any food or water on the space object. But, sweat/oil soaked Fry and Bender were glad they were able to finish the job, and they could now focus on their little contest.

Shortly after loading, the rest of the crew boarded the ship. While Hermes, Zoidberg, Amy, and Scruffy usually didn’t come, the Professor needed all the help he could get; with his frail, one-hundred and seventy-year old body, recording data along with other small tasks proved to be difficult for him. Leela sat behind the wheel, and prepared the ship for a smooth, safe take-off.

Ah, it was a thing of beauty. It had a sleek, aerodynamic hull and three wings complete with rudders to help it steer. At the back were the many dark matter engines that thrusted the ship by actually moving the universe around it, instead of actually being propelled through space. When landing, the two lower wings served as landing gear while another leg lowered itself from the hull and served as a way of getting to and from the ship. The paint was a solid green, complete with the Planet Express logo, a the name of the company surrounding a ship flying. And, to protect against nasty space pirates, a turret was mounted on the top and was usually controlled by Fry. Sadly, the thing is cheap and can barely withstand taking off from Earth, seeing as the Professor uses most money to fund his experiments.

Leela prepared to blast off. She turned the key, and the engines of the ship sprang to life. Leela pulled up on the wheel, causing the rockets to spew hot flames, allowing the ship to rise out of the hanger through the open bay doors, which were two sliding red gates that were located on the top of the Planet Express building.. Leela pulled on the wheel some more, making her way out of Earth's atmosphere and soon past Pluto, heading towards the strange object.

“Alright, everyone, this space flight will be quite the journey, and I’ve enabled the auto-pilot. So, we need to conserve oxygen by going into hypersleep for a few hours. Follow me to the bed chambers so we can rest up.” stated Leela.

Fry hung up a few extra hammocks in his and Bender’s room. It technically wasn’t even a room, more of a closet. It had two hammocks for Fry and Bender by a window. It had a short length and an even shorter width, making it very cramped. They all climbed into the uncomfortable hammocks, while Leela and the Professor were sleeping in their own large comfortable chambers. While it wasn’t ideal for the rest of the crew, they didn’t want to die from lack of oxygen.

---

It was what Leela guessed about three hours of hypersleep until the ship alerted her that their destination was coming up. She rubbed her one large eye in the middle of her face, and tried to make her purple hair presentable. She could get bed hair extremely easily. She walked out of her quarters, and banged on Fry and Bender’s compartment. “We’re arriving to the invisible object in about half-an-hour, so get up and help me get everything ready.” She did the same with the Professor, who moaned a bit, but finally got up after being persistent.

Leela got behind the wheel to prepare a possible entry or collision with the object, while the others gathered around various controls in the bridge, except for Zoidberg. Zoidberg can’t do much of any good with his lobster claws.

“Then what should I do, exactly? Need someone to clean the ship? Why not Zoidberg?” He said, with his mouth tentacles flopping.

“That’d be my job.” said Scruffy, reclining in his seat.

“Who are you?” asked Zoidberg.

“Scruffy... the janitor.”

“Zoidberg, all I want you to do is stand there and do nothing. Like I already said, you can’t be much help unless we have a medical emergency. And you aren’t much help with that, either.” said Leela. Dr. Zoidberg stood there as he was told with his head held low, and let out a weird, deep noise.

“We’re approaching the object! According to the radar, this object is spherical, so it may be a planet, which means it could very well be inhabited!” said the Professor. The ship gave a slight jerk, and the Professor checked another screen on the dashboard. “Ah! It is a planet, as we’re getting pulled towards it by a gravity as strong as Earth’s. I also see that there is an atmosphere just like Earth, except... That can’t be right! We’d be dead by now!” The Professor clasped his forehead and began to pace about the bridge.

“Bad news, everyone! Not only is the atmosphere similar to Earth’s it also has odd light wavelengths way off the Electromagnetic Spectrum! It’s a miracle how we aren’t burnt to a crisp yet, and the ship is still in tact!” The Professor continued to pace around. “Not only that, but it has some sort of odd effect on anything getting into it, and has a very strong pull to it somehow! We’re going to crash!” The crew gasped, except for Scruffy, who was busy poking his nose into some old Playboy magazines.

Lights began to flare and sirens were blaring at maximum volume, warning the crew of their imminent doom as they approached ever closer to the mysterious planet’s surface. The closer they were, though, the more they could make out what was awaiting them on the surface. Instead of a dreadful, barren landscape due to the radiation, it appeared to be a peaceful meadow filled with flowers, and creeks running off towards a forest surrounding it. But, that didn’t change the fact that they’re gonna crash.

“Everyone! Grab onto something and brace for impact! We’re entering the atmosphere!” commanded Leela. Everyone held tight to anything they could find that was solid. The ship began to enter the deadly atmosphere, as it became a steam cooker. The ship was losing parts quickly, and was bending under all the pressure from the mysterious wavelengths of light. After exiting what the Professor believed to be the Exosphere, the whole bridge was covered in a blinding light brighter than the Sun itself. The ship was descending even quicker than before, and they were dropping through layer upon layer of the atmosphere until they reached the Troposphere. The ship came into contact with the ground with the loud song of metal being crushed as even more parts were flying off. The ship skidded across the plain, leaving a trail of dirt and rubble behind it, as it came to a halt.

The crew, while slightly dazed and bruised, were relatively okay, and had miraculously survived the crash without dying. The Professor was the first to emerge from the smoking rubble, and tripped from all the dizziness. The rest of the crew followed, coughing up various pieces of debris as they checked to make sure they were okay. But, something was amiss. They weren’t standing upon two feet, but instead, four hooves. Their body was covered in a coat, and they had a mane (all except for Zoidberg, the Professor, and Bender). They all still had their regular clothes, they were just ponies that could still talk.

The Professor was somehow able to get out a scanner from his lab coat, even though he now lacked fingers. He scanned the whole crew, and fiddling with the buttons. “Interesting news, everyone! The massive radiation in the atmosphere has morphed us into equine creatures! Magical equines at that, seeing as I can somehow hold this scanner.” Everyone was examining every inch of their new forms, and getting use to new appendages and walking on four legs.

The crew was in awe at the beautiful landscape they had come upon. It was like they had gone back to a time where skyscrapers, highways, and pollution were nonexistent, and all that was there were rolling hills of grass, fauna-filled forests, and skies as clear as crystal. Off in the distance was a small town consisting of cozy houses and a large apple orchard. The Professor couldn’t explain it, but for some reason, happiness and friendship emanated from the houses. It tugged him, beckoning him to enjoy the lovely town. Well, that was mostly because it was probably the only place they’d find supplies.

“While this is all fine and dandy, remember that we have a wrecked ship on our hands! Or hooves... Either way we don’t have a way to get home!” said Hermes impatiently.

“Oh yes, yes! That is an issue, isn’t it?” The Professor said, examining the ship with a hoof on his chin. “Well, looks like we’ll have to go to that town to get parts and fuel, as it seems the rest of the dark matter in the ship burned up from the atmosphere radiation.” Even though he originally wanted to torture the natives, his new mission was to get off this lovely planet. He longed for his doomsday devices and death rays back in New New York. “Let’s get moving, goddammit! I may drop dead any second!”

So, they began the mile or so journey to the town, in hopes that they have discovered dark matter fuel instead of regular, fossil fuels or retarded “environmentally friendly” fuel. The closer they got to the town, the more they could see of it. The buildings were far from today’s standards of building. They consisted of wood, stone, and thatched roofs, although some had more advanced brick or shingles. The apple orchard was even larger up close; it would take hours to harvest all the apples even with futuristic technology. The closer they got the more curious the Professor became as to how the locals pulled off these feats, seeing as they were equine.

It took about an hour to get there, mostly because the Professor is a turtle, and the fact that the crew had to adapt to walking on four legs. It’s like learning how to walk again, with a lot of tripping and slow moving.

But, the crew did prevail, and finally got the hang of walking normally. They just hoped they wouldn’t have to run anywhere anytime soon. Upon entering the town, they were greeted with many happy, talking colorful ponies just like them, along with the marks on their flanks, except for the younger ponies.The Professor assumed that these marks were tattooed on their flanks as a brutal, tribal tradition.

After walking around a little while, they came upon the town square, right in front of city hall and next to the marketplace. “Now only if we can find someone who doesn’t think we’re crazy when we say we’re not from this planet, so that I can interview them and their culture, then we can get the hell off of here!” said the Professor.

Suddenly, a regular pink pony that smelled of cotton candy came bounding in out of nowhere, with a huge smile on her face. When she came close to the crew, she stopped short, and let out a huge gasp. “Hello, new friends! I’m Pinkie Pie! I know that you’re new because I know everyone in Ponyville! So, where are you from and what are your names?” She asked rapidly.

“Well, you seem crazy enough to believe anything. Perfect for the situation we’re in! We’re from a distant planet called “Earth” where we deliver packages through space in our now totaled spaceship. It’s all just to fund my crazy inventions and doomsday devices. We’re looking for someone to help us rebuild our ship so we can off this god-forsaken planet!” said the Professor.

Thankfully, Pinkie Pie believed every word of their story, because she truly was crazy and deserved to be locked up in an insane asylum. She became acquainted with the entire crew, and said that she may now some ‘pony’ as she said, that could be of assistance. Of course, the conversation didn’t just stop there. She was quite curious about life on Earth and was freaking out that she was talking to pony-looking aliens. She was so excited that the Professor thought for sure she would die of a heart attack.

Soon, the crew came upon a giant tree, that was extremely peculiar. It seemed as though these ponies were somehow able to carve out the entire tree, and install windows, doors, and other features, such as balconies and lights, to make it a house. It was truly an amazing feat, as the Professor didn’t notice a single car on the entire planet, so he assumed their technology wasn’t as greatly developed as Earth’s.

Pinkie Pie came up to the tree, and knocked on the door with a picture of a candle on it. A female voice called out saying “Spike, could you go answer the door, please?”

To which a bratty, teenage-sounding voice replied, “Sure Twilight.”

The door was opened by a purple scaled reptile about pony-waist high with dull, green spikes all along his spine and ending on top of his head. “Oh hi Pinkie! What do you nee-” He cut short after looking over her shoulder and seeing the entire crew. “Oh, who are your new friends?” He walked outside, with a small smile on his face; he was obviously happy to meet anyone new.

“They’re not regular ponies, Spike! They’re aliens from this place called “Earth”! I thought the best person to take them to was Twi, seeing as she’s all sciency and booky and stuff!” Pinkie was circling Spike while describing this, as she was extremely hyper from meeting aliens.

“Uh... yeah. Sure. Listen, Twilight’s pretty busy doing something for the Princess, so why don’t you ask Rarity or somepony else?” There’s that use of “somepony” instead of someone. It was beginning to get on the Professor’s nerves a bit for no good reason. He was also curious about a pony princess. Obviously the dumbos hadn’t switched from a Monarchy to a Representative form of government.

“No Spike! We need to see Twilight! This is super duper uber schooper wooper important! This isn’t some sort of game! I cross to heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye!” She did little motions while saying the last sentence, such as running her hoof across her chest quickly, doing the same motion in the air, then finally poking herself in the eye with the same hoof. An soft, but audible “ow” was heard, but she was still holding her ground of getting into this tree house.
“All right... if you’re going to be that persistent,” said the reptile as he turned around to look at the door, “Twilight! Pinkie’s here to see you, and she says she has some aliens!” The same female voice from before let out a loud sigh, and a light, purple unicorn appeared at the door with an annoyed look on her face, who was supposedly Twilight.

“What do you want now, Pinkie?” Twilight looked at the crew, “So these are the ‘aliens’, huh? Well they look alot like ponies to me.” She began to examine the crew by lifting up their legs, poking them, and sometimes getting very close to their “no-no places”, until she came upon Bender and Zoidberg. “Interesting! A pony made entirely out of metal! Ooh! And a pony without a coat or tail; just solid shell and fins! These are some pretty good costumes, Pinkie!” She poked Bender’s rear for no apparent reason.

“Hey, stop it! If you want to poke around there, then you can bite my shiny, ponified ass!” said Bender rudely. Twilight was taken aback by the robot’s cruel language, as swearing isn’t something that happens often in Equestria. But, she got back to conversing with Pinkie.

“This is taking too damn long. I’m going to go have fun with these wings and look around a bit.” said Fry, as he clumsily began to flap his new wings and took off the ground, nearly crashing into the side of a house.

“I agree with Fry. Professor, you can stick around with the locals and see if you can get spare parts and fuel from them. The rest of us should probably go look around for a restaurant, ‘cause I’m starving.” said Leela. The rest of the crew agreed, and left the Professor to deal with the arguing ponies.

“Damn kids.” said the Professor, looking back at his worthless crew. But, he had a job to do. “Excuse me, but I think I have something to say now.” The ponies stopped, and looked at the Professor. “You see, we crash landed on this planet due to your terrible radioactive atmosphere, and we desperately need parts and fuel so we can get back home!”

“See! I told you they were aliens!” said Pinkie, but Twilight still wasn’t convinced. She wanted proof, and she intended to do it... with SCIENCE!

“Okay then, I hope you wouldn’t mind if I were to run a few tests on you.” said Twilight. She was hoping the old crone would be unwilling, as no pony in their right mind would have tests run on them if they weren’t aliens.

“Not at all! Being a scientist myself, I understand scientific evidence is vital to reaching a conclusion!”

Twilight was a little shocked by the Professor’s reply, but promptly walked over to the library door, opened it, and waved her hoof to welcome the Professor inside. The Professor trotted in, slightly concerned about finding parts and fuel. He could care less, of course, about his crew. But little did he know, they were having the time of their lives on this new land.