• Published 29th Oct 2012
  • 8,526 Views, 517 Comments

Upon a Falling Feather - ezra09



Skypirates Rarity and Pinkie Pie abduct Twilight. Daring Dash and Fluttershy must save the day!

  • ...
12
 517
 8,526

Fightin' in the Tavern, Brawlin' in the Inn

“And there, not half a mile away, was the Flying Dutchmare.” The rainbow maned pegasus paused her story to gulp the last of her drink.

“You’re full of it, Dash,” a blue-maned pegasus said, tossing his cards face down on the table.

“Nopony who’s seen the Flying Dutchmare has lived to tell about it,” a large Minotaur said slowly, contemplating his own cards.

“It’s the truth. Just ask Fluttershy here.”

The pony in question answered with a feeble “eep” and ducked behind her pink mane. “It’s uh, it’s true. The ship was completely empty, but still so scary looking. I, uh, I fold.”

“Ugh, again? That’s seventeen rounds in a row,” Dash complained.

“Well,” the blue stallion said, stretching his wings, “as much fun as it is losing my bits and hearing your wild tales, I have duty. Spitfire will kill me if I miss it again.” With a nod to the others, he made his way to the exit, almost bumping into a white unicorn on the way out.

“So, anything interesting happen while we were away?”

The minotaur shook his head. “The griffon conflicts have started to die down, and guards have been coming back to Canterlot. Actually means less work for Iron Will.”

“Oh, have you been terribly busy?” Fluttershy asked.

“The crime rates have gone up, but the pay is good. When somepony tries to run, Iron Will won’t be outdone!”

Dash rolled her eyes. “But if the guards are coming back from the borders...” she trailed off with a groan. “Sounds like bounty hunting’s gonna get more competitive soon.”

Iron Will nodded in agreement as he dealt the next round. He hesitated for a moment before gesturing toward the bar. Dash turned to see a tall white unicorn talking to the barkeep.

“Hey, isn’t that whatsis name? The Royal Guard Captain?”

“Yeah. Looks like he’s looking for somepony.”

They weren’t the only patrons to notice the guard’s presence. The usually happy chatter of the Griffon’s Nest had died, leaving the angry buzz of harsh whispers.

“I’d hate to be whoever he’s looking for.” As though reading her mind, the unicorn turned his head and met Dash’s gaze. His eyes flicked up toward her mane for half a second. “Ah ponyfeathers.”

“Excuse me, are you Rainbow Dash? Captain of the Rainbow Wake?” the stallion asked, drawing closer.

“Nope, Captain Dash is upstairs.”

His gaze flicked to her mane again as he raised an eyebrow skeptically.

“Alright, alright. What’s the fastest way to get you out of my mane?”

“My name is Shining Armor. I came to ask for your help concerning a problem.”

Dash picked up her cards and suppressed a wince. “That’s a new one. Thought you royal guard types hated bounty hunters. Don’t like that justice serves the highest bidder. Unless you’re looking for free muscle, then you’re barking up the wrong tree.”

A heavy pouch dropped onto the table, spilling half a dozen gold bits. Dash blinked, trading glances with Iron Will. “Well, maybe we should move someplace more private and discuss this. I have a room at the Manestreet Inn.”

“Actually, this is a matter of some urgency,” Shining said. “I’d prefer not to go trotting all over Canterlot.”

“Okay, but we should still leave before—”

“‘Ey you!”

“Too late,” Dash mumbled.

Shining turned, curious. An old stallion stood behind him, wobbling uneasily on his hooves.

“Yeah, you! You guards aren’ welcome ‘ere.”

“That’s alright. We were just leaving,” Dash said, scooping her bits into her saddlebags with a wing and pulling Fluttershy to her side. “Weren’t we, Mister Armor?”

Shining Armor blinked, taking in the atmosphere. The tavern had fallen completely silent since his arrival and many of the ponies were glaring at him. He shifted automatically, balancing his weight to fend off an attacker. The tension in the room jumped.

It was the worst thing he could have done. Rather than backing down or leaving, he’d thrown down a challenge to the entire room, completely on reflex. Dash had to wonder how such an idiot made captain.

No sense waiting for some drunk lowlife to get the first shot in, she thought. The drunk pony marched up to get in Shining Armor’s face. Everpony waited, barely breathing, eyes on the impending confrontation. The slightest, subtlest move could have set them all off.

So Dash broke a chair over the drunk stallion’s back.

Shining Armor flinched as his would be assailant went down in a burst of splinters and noise. “C’mon,” Dash shouted, running past him toward the stairs. He turned, following half a hoofstep behind as the drunk patrons let out a shout and dissolved into chaos.

Somepony hit Shining Armor in the side, winding their thin fore-legs around his neck. He planted his hoofs and ducked, throwing them forward, and then charged to catch up with Dash and her friends.

“Upstairs,” she shouted, pushing a panicked Fluttershy ahead of her. She glanced back, thanking Celestia that most of the ponies were too drunk to care who they were fighting.

She had barely thought the words when her first victim picked himself up from under the mangled chair. “Up ‘ere, you louts!”

“Okay everypony, I have a plan,” she said as they climbed.

“Not to complain,” the minotaur called from the rear of the group, “but your plans rarely work out so well for Iron Will.”

Some of the brawlers had organized themselves into a small group to charge the stairs. Shining Armor watched them climb uneasily, wondering how the hay it had all started.

“I said I was sorry about that. Accidents happen, right?” Dash said, reaching the top of the stairs.

“You bucked Iron Will into a chasing manticore. That doesn’t seem like an accident,” Iron Will said, right behind her.

“Okay, but at least this time they don’t have stingers.”

“Maybe. Iron... wait, what?”

Dash planted her forehooves and bucked, catching the minotaur in the belly. She couldn’t do more than lift him, but as his hoof came down it missed the step and he flailed backwards before falling. The ponies on the steps below him screamed as they saw several hundred pounds of Iron Will bearing down on them.

Shining Armor stared in shock before turning to Dash.

“He’ll be fine. Tough skin. Now let’s get out of here before they pick themselves up again.”