• Published 29th Oct 2012
  • 3,568 Views, 60 Comments

A Blind Bard - way2dawn



a Bind Bard lands in Equestria.

  • ...
9
 60
 3,568

What a Graceful Introduction

“Hey, are you awake? Helloooo?” A voice pierced the darkness. A young male's voice.

“Dude, wake up. Are you alright?” A tap on the shoulder got a response out of me. A moan. My eyes were closed and I was lying facedown in the grass.

“Would you be alright if you woke up outside, when you know you went to sleep inside your own bed? and why are your fingernails so sharp?” I retorted toward the voice, rolling over to do so. Sitting up was something I did every morning, so, doing so from lying on the ground was no problem. I reached my hand up from supporting my weight from my sitting position to remove whatever was on my face, and stopped. There was nothing there.

“Kid,” I started.

“Spike,” The boy interrupted, “My name is Spike.”

“Alright, Spike” I resumed, slightly annoyed at what I thought was a male, “Can you remove whatever is covering my eyes?” I indicated to my face, at eye level to show where I meant.

“Umm, mister? You are a mister, right?” He started. I nodded in affirmation somewhat confused. How did he not know that I was a guy? Isn’t he a guy as well?

“There’s nothing covering your eyes… is that bad?” Spike’s voice just echoed, I did not even register his question. My brain tried to process the info and only met with failure.

"I can’t see..." I started, muttering to myself."If I can't see, and there's nothing covering my eyes, that must mean... I'm blind." My voice had become a hoarse whisper by the time I had finished that sentence.

Spike shuffled around nervously, or at least I thought he did from the sound of his feet. Soon, he got my attention by snapping his finger in front of my face. I looked forward.

“Alright then, just stay here, I’m going to go get a friend who can help you. STAY here.” Spike’s voice echoed, two feet jogging, or at least I thought it was jogging, from how his feet were making noises on the ground. His last command seemed as if he knew what he was doing, so I just took that as a sign to lie on my back and collect my thoughts.

"Alright, it seems as if I was put here by an unknown party. I know that last night I was able to see. The date is 4/28. Or at least is SHOULD be. Whats that? Oh, its a bird. What a pretty... song? The birds know actual tunes? I thought they just warbled and... a brook? Is that water?" I almost ran towards the water, but when I got up, I fell forward, pain searing through my left ankle. reaching back, I felt my ankle and ran my hand along my skin. I wasn't bleeding, but I probably had a sprain or twisted it. either way, I wasn’t walking again for at least a small while.

The fact that my sight had left me had registered in my head at some point, and now, my other senses were working overtime. I could feel the ground beneath me through my hands and feet. I could hear the birds and brook, I could smell animals nearby. Most likely squirrels or something like that. Then I thought of something. Where the heck am I?

"Lets see... its warm, but its a fall-warm. That means either its cold out or, I am in the southern hemisphere. There's..." I focused on my hearing and could hear clip-clops and voices in the distance. "Either there is some sort of clog festival, or there's a LOT of horses here, I’m going with the latter. Holland is NOT in the southern hemisphere. and how could someone drag a sleeping body through airport security? Let alone me sleep through take off? Impossible." I once again reasoned, getting slightly worried as the evidence didn't stack up except for the fact that the local townsfolk probably noticed a body being dragged nearby and being left behind.

"Now, I can barely move, I can feel the sun overhead, and I feel like a load of poo. I’m going to sleep" I stated to the brook and the birds before nodding off.

Soon, the sound of a horse in a rapid canter was coming my way. By the time the noise was near, I heard a female voice, probably the friend that spike was going to get. In anticipation I sat up, grateful that the kid came through for me.

“Spike? Where is this creature? I don’t see it. Can you show me where it-is? If you don’t mind, that is?” The female voice asked. She sounded worried, and somewhat frightened. Spike’s voice resonated in response, sounding sure of himself.

“It’s over here, Fluttershy!” He yelled back to this ‘Fluttershy’ person. What an awkward name. Doesn’t sound like any American name…

Hey dude!, I thought I told you to stay still…” Spike told me, earning a sigh too old for how
young he sounded, as if he was used to unusual events happening. All I could say in reply was “Sorry”

“How are you?” Fluttershy asked, riding her horse right up in front of me. This surprised and scared me. Somehow her voice came from the horse’s mouth as it was nosing my body gently, it's soft nose pressing up against my arm, I chalked it up to being a ventriloquist. Looking to where the rider would be, I continued.

“Well, besides waking up in the middle of a field or park, I seem to have twisted or sprained my ankle. I’m ravenously hungry and could really go for a drink of water.” I concluded. I think I surprised her by being able to diagnose myself in such a manner, being blind only confirmed my case.

“Well, besides those things, you seem to be just fine. Though with your ape-ish stature, I doubt you can make it very far if we tried moving you with that ankle of yours.” Fluttershy started to say. Before she continued, I almost interjected with a comment about being 'ape-ish'... isnt she human too?

“That may be fine and dandy, Miss Fluttershy. But isn't there any way to get me to a body of water to get something to drink?” I queried, before my hand was guided to a cool metal cylinder. I blankly stared at it and wondered what it was. I was told it was water. Upon hearing those words, I greedily drank out of the metal, and realized that it was likely a thermos, being careful to not let it spill down the front of my person.

Taking a deep breath after downing the thermos, I just sat there while someone circled me, counter-clockwise. I tried to follow their motions with my ears, and after a small while of that, a question popped into my mind.

“What’re you doing?” I asked, still tracking their movements as they switched directions and continued, now in a clockwise manner, something was off, though. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. As they stopped in front of me, a small force opened my jaw. The force didn’t come from a hand though, it came from something else, like a stub hard outer shell with a warm indented center... the outer portion felt reminiscent of a fingernail, or... it hit me. A HOOF. Slightly shaking my head to get the hoof from my head, whatever was holding my face backed up.

A four beat walk, like a horse, a voice coming where an animal’s head would be, and to top it all off, a hoof opened my mouth. I didn’t want to admit it, but the evidence stacked in favor of Fluttershy being a horse, or for the size of her hoof, a pony.

“Fluttershy, I feel fine for now, I need to ask you and Spike some questions if you'd be so kind to answer.” The girl, or should I say mare, gave her consent by sitting in front of me, if my ears weren't lying to me.

“Sorry, Fluttershy, but I need this. I need to know i’m not crazy.” I apologised quickly. Spike’s two beat footsteps gave way to another thump. He’d probably sat down. I turned to the noise.

“You too, I need to ask you some things later. Just, lets make sure I’m not in crazyville first.” I chuckled at my own joke while unless you count the sounds of the nature around us, my saviors were silent. I took this as a good sign to start.

“Now, what I am alludes you, correct? I’m a human, a RELATIVE of the apes. Thank you for not calling me a monkey. I am related to monkeys and apes, but that’s not pertinent at this moment. What IS pertinent, though, is that you are not one of my species. Neither of you are.” All Fluttershy could do is give a small 'eep', and Spike whistled gently off to the side, clearly impressed. Fluttershy was the first to question me.

“But how-” I interrupted her and pointed at my ears.

“I heard you talk about apes. Also, if you WERE human, both of you would’ve known I was a male. When spike first met me, he didn’t know that.” I explained quickly, and Spike gave a small “Hmm...” before speaking.

“That makes sense. Twilight would love to speak to you sometime.” At that statement I gagged.

“Twilight?” I sputter out. Spike just repeats himself.

“Yeah, Twilight Sparkle” At this I almost lost myself laughing.

“If you only knew...” I darkly murmured to my shoes as I pushed myself back to a sitting position, thinking of that awful series.

“Yeah, she’s the local librarian. Maybe you can see her sometime or maybe she can see you?” I thought he was asking Fluttershy for permission, but I couldn't tell the answer.

“NOW! Back to the topic at hand. Fluttershy, I have no idea what you are, besides being a quadruped, being an ungulate, and well, nothing else. What are you?” Spike was the one to speak up, after grabbing my attention.

“She’s a pony” Was all that spike gave as a reply. He said that so naturally, like if I was saying ‘I’m American!’ or something like that. He was pulling my leg.

“Sorry. Nope, shes not a pony.” Was all I said. I heard a small growl and felt the scaly hand grab my hand and guide it forward, knocking me over into a crawling position. Fluttershy just went ‘EEP!’ again as my hand touched a soft limb, connecting to a cold hoof. As I ran my hand on the limb, my mind was going haywire. All I could think of was a quote from one of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s books ‘Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.’ Soon afterwards, I just sat back, and did nothing.

“Well, thanks Spike.” I said to the scaly-handed kid “You’re a pony then eh, ‘Shy?” I chuckled

“Spike, how far up does ‘Shy’s back reach?” I asked him. After thinking a moment and making an “Ummmm” noise, he spoke.

“Fluttershy’s back reaches about your shoulder level. Maybe a bit higher. Her head is higher up than yours though.” He eventually said.

“And that leads me to my second question. Fluttershy, could I lean on you to get to a patch of softer ground, preferably in the shade? All these revelations tired me out.” I managed to get out before yawning.

“Sure, I don’t mind, here, put your hands on my back.” Fluttershy offered and moved her way in front of me. Rocking forward, and getting on all four limbs, I gently extend my hand and feel around, tapping Fluttershy. What I felt didn’t feel like hair or fur though, it felt like bone. Running my hand along the limb, which I was SURE normal ponies didn’t have, I felt feathers, and was now afraid.

“Spike? I thought you said Fluttershy was a pony?.” Was all that I could say. He quickly returned with an answer.

“Yeah, she’s a Pegasus pony. Aren’t there pegasi where you’re from?” he returned.

“Well, no. Pegasi, are myths, great big horses with 30 foot wings, or something to that effect.” I responded to my bipedal companion. Spike walked over to me and held my hands, moving them away from Fluttershy’s wing. I guess he was worried i’d go into ‘denial mode’ again. He spoke again.

“Fluttershy, fold your wings. I’ll move his hands away from them. He doesn’t seem comfortable around ‘em.” Was all he said while moving my hands to my right, away from that bone. Soon my hands were moving, off Fluttershy’s back to the left, probably avoiding her wing, to where her shoulder should be.

Getting a grip on her back, I moved and found my footing on the ground, not before leaning into Fluttershy, which she thankfully leaned against, making for a very soft post to lean on. After standing, and while leaning against Fluttershy, we slowly made our way to a spot, in which I was told to sit down.

“Mister?” Fluttershy spoke for the first time in a small span of time.

“Yeah? What’s up?” I calmly responded, my brain was practically fried, but it had enough sense to be polite.

“Do you want a pillow?” She sweetly asked me. All I could do was smile.

“Yes please.” Was all I said. I was told to lean back. I did so, and lo-and behold, I had a small soft, furry pillow. Spike was too scaly, so it was probably Fluttershy.

“I’m sorry for freaking out about your wing.” I meekly apologized to the sweet pegasus I was using as a pillow. She chuckled and I spoke again.

“If you’re a pegasus, that means there’s more, right?” I got another affirmation.

“If I’m going to stay here a while whilst I recover, I have to get used to those wings. Can I see yours?” A second later, after a bit of shuffling, something was draped over me. It was her left wing. “Thanks”, Was all I could say before taking it into my hand and feeling the bones, feathers, and muscle along the extra limb. Soon though, my attention dwindled as my mind told my body ‘You’re tired’ and soon I was asleep again.

Before I fell asleep though, Fluttershy had mentioned that Spike left to go get 'applejack' and 'big mac'. I hope she meant booze and a burger...doubt it.