• Published 31st Oct 2012
  • 936 Views, 17 Comments

Cloud Fishin' - Church



This is for you, and everyone else, too

  • ...
0
 17
 936

Cloud Fishin'

Dreams are sorta like clouds. Sometimes they’re all white and puffy, and they look friendly and you can make neat shapes out of ‘em with your ‘magination. Then, other times, they’re all dark and mean and scary lookin', and Daddy has to check under the bed at night just to make sure there ain’t any of ‘em under there. Daddy says that clouds can’t live under there in the first place, but I always make him check just in case, ‘specially when the clouds get all nasty and stuff outside at night. He always tells me “There ain’t any clouds under there, go to bed sweetie,” and what Daddy says is always true, so I do go to bed. And I dream. And I usually dream ‘bout clouds.

I dream ‘bout flyin’ through ‘em. They must be real soft, like my pillow, or a marshmallow. I can’t feel ‘em in my dream... or I can’t remember what they feel like. But they must be soft, ‘cuz I can cut right through ‘em. And when I’m flyin', my wings are made of clouds, too, and they grow and grow and grow as I fly from cloud to cloud, until they are big enough to be the sky itself, and I stretch from one side of Equestria to the other like one big family. This is my dream, and I visit it almost every night.

And when I wake up, I see that I ain’t got wings... every time.

Even though I ain’t got wings, Daddy says that that isn’t true, even though I keep tellin’ him that I ain’t got any ‘cuz I can’t see ‘em. He says I do got wings. He says I got ‘em but I just can’t see ‘em. I guess I believe him, ‘cuz Daddy’s always right. But whatever kinda wings they are, they certainly ain’t good for flyin’. They must not be done growin’ yet or somethin’, ‘cuz I’ve tried everythin’ from jumpin’ to runnin’ to get those things workin’, but it just hasn’t worked out so far.

I’ll keep tryin’, I guess. I gotta box of feathers I keep under my bed at home. I glued ‘em all together, made two sets of ‘em, and I guess they’re my wings in the meantime. I stick ‘em to my sides with tape. They sorta flap in the wind whenever I go outside, and I can’t control ‘em. It’s real hard to fly when your wings are fallin’ limp all the time. But nothin’s impossible. There ain’t nothin’ I can’t do, Daddy told me. And I trust Daddy.

Goodness gracious though, I swear I’ve been tryin’, but I just can’t leave the ground. Those pegasus don’t know how good they got it. They can sit up on those fluffy white things all day, not a single care in the whole wide world, just restin’ and thinkin’ the day away. I wanna do that. But all I can do is sit on the hillside watchin’ ‘em all fly. Then I think of my dream. They’re usin’ my wings. My wings. I dunno what to think after that. It looks so easy. The way they use ‘em looks so easy. I try and I try with my own invisible wings, but I just can’t do whatever it is that they’re doin’. So I just sit and watch patiently, just thinkin’...

I’m gonna be like them someday...

Today’ll be different. I’m gonna do it today. I’m finally gonna get what I want. I’ve seen so many ponies all happy and smiley and stuff. I wanna be like that, too. So today is gonna be fantastic. I know it. I know it.

Today is gonna be the best day ever.

o----o

It’s Thursday, midday. I can tell ‘cuz the sun is at its highest point in the sky, and that’s how Daddy taught me to tell the time of day. I stare at my hooves as I’m trottin’ down the path, ‘cuz I don’t like to look at the sneers of the others as they look at my fake wings. I’d tell ‘em that I got real wings, they just haven’t grown in yet, but what’s the point in that? ‘Sides, Daddy told me not to pay no attention to ‘em. In any sense, it’s a Thursday. I'm walkin' down the path that leads to the park.

I’ve walked the path many times, so I know which street to turn on, even with my head facin’ the dirt. I like to go to the park to play, it’s the only reason I ever go into town. Today, just like every Thursday, I’ve brought along my favorite kite, every time thinkin’ it’s gonna touch those clouds for me, and maybe bring a piece of ‘em down so I can keep it forever and for always. I haven’t caught one yet, but hey, that’s just fishin’ for ya. Sometimes you catch ‘em and sometimes you don’t. That don’t mean you stop tryin’. You just find a different spot.

There’s a good spot next to the riverbank. I scouted it out last time I came here, ‘cuz I wasn’t catchin’ anythin' at my old spots, so I thought I’d try my luck by movin’ the spot I went fishin’ at. I got my kite bouncin’ around on my back as I trot, and my wings are flappin’ in the passin’ breeze like a couple ‘a floundrin’ fish. It’s a good day for kite flyin’. I’ll probly catch somethin’ big today. I can pick my head up as I’m goin’ through the park grasses, ‘cuz there’re less ponies to pass on my way to the riverbank. I see the clouds are out in force today. The sun’s shinin’ right through ‘em, too, so I can see all of ‘em real clear. Perfect.

I set my kite down next to me as I plop down on the grass, right in the absolute perfect spot for cloud fishin’, I’m sure of it. The water is real choppy today ‘cuz of all the wind whistlin’ around and everythin’. I see a few ducks floatin’ on the water, havin’ a real tough go of things. The Mommy is in front, leadin’ all of the littler ones behind her. But the littler ones can’t keep up all that well, ‘cuz they’re too small. The Mommy has to wait up all the time, ‘cuz the littler ones are havin’ too tough of a time. Eventually, they start makin’ their way up the river. I don’t know where they’re goin’. Must be somewhere important.

Whoops, I'm spacin' out.

Speakin’ of important, I come back to earth and I smile and I pick up my kite. I unwind the tangled spool of thread that lets me control it, bein’ careful not to snap it since the thread’s real old. After a long time of doin’ just that, I finally get to see that shiny red kite, complete with holes covered with duct tape, ‘cuz Daddy’s real good at handiworkin’. Now I’m all smiley, ‘cuz this is my favorite part of the day. I grab my kite and I hug it real tight for good luck, ‘cuz the kite’s gotta know what it’s doin’. Then, still smiley all over, I say to my kite-

“Catch one of ‘em for me today, won’t ya?”

Then, with a real big gust of wind, I let it go, and up and up and up it flies. I grab the spool real quick, ‘cuz otherwise it’ll just blow away, and it’ll just catch clouds without me.

I get back up to all fours. Now I’m runnin’ down the length of the river with the spool of thread in my mouth. My kites driftin’ along somewhere behind me, and the thread’s bitin’, pullin’ back real strong. I put on my grimace face and pull back on it real strong-like back, ‘cuz the wind’s batterin’ it all over the place. I look back to see it’s passin’ through some clouds. It ain’t catchin’ any of ‘em, but it’s real early, so I gotta keep tryin’.

Down the river, I can see all those ducklings with their Mommy still floatin’ along. Somethin’ weird’s happenin’, though. Now, from what I can tell, ‘cuz they’ve gotten down the river quite a ways and all I can really see is shadows, a pegasus pony is helpin’ ‘em all out, makin’ sure they get down the river and all. That’s real nice of ‘em. ‘Course, if I was a pegasus, I’d be out savin’ the world and the helpless and such myself. It’s just those wings. It’s just those wings she’s usin’ s’all. I look to my wings.

Pity.

Oh well, back to cloud fishin’.

Some sort of maelstrom pops up ‘er somethin’, ‘cuz suddenly the thread bites real hard and I get pulled back. I spin round real quick and snarl and yank on it hard. It does a real big swoop and dips closer to the ground, so I twist it this way and that tryin’ to get it back up and flyin’ right again. I’m inchin’ backwards real slowly, ‘cuz it’s takin’ a lotta concentration just to control the darn thing. Luckily, the real big gust of wind stops blowin’. It’s the normal wind again. My kite isn’t stuck in it. I get it back under control in a jiffy.

Now it’s driftin’ along easy again. I’m trottin’ down the riverbank, all smiley, ‘cuz now I’m confident that one of those clouds is gonna be mine today, and I swear when that happens, I’m never lettin’ go.

I’m never lettin’ go.

There’s a buncha holes in the clouds as I look back, all of ‘em diamond in shape as my kite pops out of ‘em. There’re so many clouds. There’s so many of ‘em but none of ‘em want to come down and say hi. My kite can’t catch a single one of ‘em. I really thought I’d get one of ‘em today. I really thought so. I have the determination, and the mind set, and the attitude, and everythin’ Daddy said I’d need to have in order to catch ‘em. They’re stubborn, they are. I’m runnin’ down the bank as fast as my legs can carry me now. Wonder if it’s my speed that’s the problem.

I speed up even more. I gotta be real quick, ‘cuz it might be speed that’s the problem. Maybe if I go fast enough, the kite’ll hook onto one of the clouds. Then it’ll be mine. I know that. I’m goin’ faster than I’ve ever gone before. My mane is really blowin’ in the breeze, I must be the fastest pony alive. I’m sure to catch a cloud. I’m sure to catch one.

I trip and fall. Somepony somewhere laughs.

My heart’s beatin’ real quick-like. I was runnin’ for a real long time. I fell on the spool of thread, and it’s trapped under me. My kite’s flyin’ somewhere behind me. My head hurts.

I sit up and grab the spool with both hooves. Though my head’s throbbin’, I think this is a good stop to rest up. I’m breathin’ heavy. Runnin’ down the length of the stream was good exercise. I take a few deep breaths in. Daddy told me that was a good way to calm down.

At the very least, there’re a lot of clouds here. I can control my kite better now as well. It shimmies and shakes in the air, like it’s dancin’, like it’s jazzin’. I smile, spite my head hurtin’.

I turn it left. It disappears behind some cloud. The thread’s passin’ right through it, like a ghost ‘er somethin’. Even though my kite ain’t catchin’ it, I’m happy. I just have to be patient. I just have to wait. I see another cloud. I turn it right.

It disappears behind this new cloud. It passes right through it. I can’t tell if my kite is behind it or right in the middle of it. Alls I know is, I can’t snag it. It hasn’t bit. I wonder if clouds take bait. What would a cloud go for? I’ll have to talk to Daddy ‘bout that. I don’t know if clouds eat or not. Guess I hadn’t thought ‘bout it.

I just relax, not thinkin' 'bout nothin'. Maybe that's my problem 'stead of speed. Maybe I just gotta relax. Then I'll be able to get one for sure. So I relax. I lay back and let my kite dangle all the way up there in the air. I don't think 'bout nothin'. I don't think 'bout clouds, or ponies, or the wind. Nothin'.

My nothin' is cut off by a real loud shriek.

Suddenly, I’m lookin’ all ‘round, ‘cuz somepony’s in trouble. Somepony don't want me to relax. I draw my kite back to me as another scream is heard. I’m freakin’ out, ‘cuz nopony’s anywhere ‘round, so where are the screams comin’ from? I’m frownin’. How can I help somepony I can’t see?

Then my kite yanks me real hard.

I fall on my face, but I hang on to the spool. It’s really bitin’. There ain’t no wind, though, so I’m wondrin’ why this is happenin’. Unless... unless...

No way.

I put on my grimace face, ‘cuz I’ve finally got one. I pull real tight, and the cloud moves closer. I got it now. I start reelin’ it in. I finally got one. It’s puttin’ up a real good fight, but I swore that come this moment, I would not give up. So I’m really pullin’. I’m really tuggin’. This one must be quite a catch.

Suddenly, I see somethin’ poppin’ out over the edge of the cloud. I hear another shriek, so I look ‘round all quick again, but nopony is there. I gotta make this catch real quick, ‘cuz I gotta help that pony. I tug hard again, and that somethin’ poppin’ out over the edge is really poppin’ out now, and I wonder just what in the heck is that. Whatever it is, it has my kite. It’s really strugglin’ with it.

Then that somethin’ is fallin’ over the edge, with my kite all tangled up in it. That ain't no part of the cloud. I realize it’s a pony.

Now I’m racin’, ‘cuz they’re fallin’ real fast. I drop the spool ‘cuz my kite’s not flyin’ anymore anyway, and I gotta give it everythin’ I got. But I’m a real long ways away. I don’t think I can make it in time. They’re fallin’ too fast.

I’m only half of the way there as they’re about to hit the ground. I see a flurry of feathers ‘fore I close my eyes ‘cuz I can’t watch. They musta hit the ground real hard. I don’t hear a thud, but they musta.

I’m still runnin’. I open my eyes, and I see ‘em on the ground as I approach. It’s a pegasus. The pony I’m lookin’ at is a pegasus. I don't wanna look, 'cuz they musta been hurt real bad. I'm gonna have to call an ambulance. I'm gonna have to find somepony to help. I'm in real big trouble now. Shoot. I gotta see. I gotta see if the pegasus is okay.

From the looks of it, the pegasus is squirmin’ on the ground, tryin’ to get out of my kite. Good news. That pony’s not dead. Musta used those wings to slow the fall, I think.

I look to my wings. A lot of the feathers have fallen off. Oh well.

The pegasus don't notice me as I walk up to her. She can’t get out of my kite. I think it’s a she. She has a pink mane and a buttery coat. I’ve never seen no colt that looks like that, so I think it’s safe to assume. She must be older than me. She already has her cutie mark; three little butterflies. I finally reach her, and she still hasn’t seen me.

“Are you okay? I-”

“Eep!” she screams, cuttin' me off. I instantly recognise her as the pony that was screamin’. She’s havin’ a fit on the ground. I musta scared her. My kite musta scared her. I must be in real big trouble.

“Oh... sorry, you startled me,” the pegasus says as she relaxes a little. She’s still all tangled in the thread. “I didn’t realize anypony was there...”

Her voice is all soft and quiet. She looks real scared. I need to help her.

“Sorry ‘bout the kite,” I say. “I was fishin’ for clouds. Didn’t think I’d catch no pegasus ponies. My bad. Need some help?”

She sighs. “Oh, I would be ever so grateful, thank you.”

I start to remove the thread from 'round her body. I toss the kite aside. It’s completely destroyed, and I don’t think Daddy’s handiworkin’ is gonna fix it. But I can’t cry over spilt milk. I gotta help this pegasus out.

We get her out of the last of the thread, and she is free. My mangled kite is sittin’ on the ground all lonely-like, dyin’, and I can’t help it. I just stare at it. That’s life, I guess.

“Oh, goodness, I’m very sorry about your kite. It was all my fault. I should have been more careful.” She looks to me. “Were you able to catch any clouds with it?” she asks.

I sorta half-frown. “Well, You’re not a cloud... so no.”

She don’t say nothin’ back, just sorta eyes my dead kite all curious-like.

“You ain’t gonna yell at me?” I ask her, ‘cuz I almost killed her, I think.

“Oh, no,” she says, turning back to me. “Why would I do that?”

“I dunno,” I say, “usually ponies yell at me for doin’ stuff like this. So I guess I just gotta ask. I’m sorry.”

She don’t say nothin’. She’s just thinkin’. Wonder if her thoughts are all quiet, like her voice.

“Anyway, I didn’t mean to catch you. You musta been real scared. It’s okay now, ‘cuz I don’t have a kite to catch anyone else. I guess that’s a good thing, huh.”

She's still all quiet. I don't think my apology was enough. I should leave. That's what I always do anyway. So I do turn to leave, ‘cuz I don’t know what else to say. I get a gentle tug on the shoulder.

“Oh, you can’t leave with your poor kite in that condition. I won’t let you. Here, let me help.”

She brushes past me and heads toward my dyin' kite. She picks it up with a lot of care. She starts trottin’ away with it, the spool trailin’ her, bouncin’ along the ground. I don’t know how to react. What’s she got my kite for?

“Follow me,” she says, turnin’ back ‘round. “I know somepony that can make your kite look good as new. Or even better than new. Doesn’t that sound nice?”

It does sound nice. I’ve never had somepony do somethin' like that for me ever. At least not a stranger. It’s probly some sorta trick. Oh well. What's she gonna do, break my kite? That’s already done. We’re beyond that. There's not much else to do now.

So I do follow her, wherever we’re goin’.

o----o

“Rarity? Rarity- oh, I’m not intruding or anything, am I?” the pegasus says as we enter some sorta fashion store. There’s a pony workin’ in the store, and she has a bunch of pins stickin’ out of her mouth, and it’s kinda silly lookin’. Her name is, apparently, Rarity.

“Fluttershy, darling! Goodness no, come right in! ... who’s your friend?”

I don’t say nothin’. The pegasus I’m with, apparently her name is Fluttershy.

“Oh, Rarity, there’s been a disaster! Just look at this poor kite!” Fluttershy shows Rarity my broken kite. It’s a total mess. It's beyond repair. Rarity looks at it all strange-like.

“Truly disheveled, Fluttershy.”

“Exactly! Oh, and I just couldn’t stand it being in this condition. Do you... do you have anything to fix it? I mean, if you aren’t busy with anything else, of course...”

Did she say fix it? What’re they doin’? Nopony’s ever done somethin’ like this for me. Rarity’s lookin’ at it all curious-like. Is she really gonna fix it? No. It’s beyond fixin’. She can’t possibly.

“I assume this is yours?” Rarity says, lookin’ straight at me. I nod.

Rarity looks real busy. She’s got a bunch of projects goin’ on at once from what I can tell. She ain’t gonna fix my kite. I don’t know why Fluttershy brought me here. It’s hopeless. It’s stupid. I should just leave.

“Hm. Did you break it, Fluttershy?”

Fluttershy don’t know how to react to that. “Oh, um, I...” she stutters. She looks 'round the room once.

“Yes,” she says finally, hangin’ her head.

Rarity eyes it a few seconds more. Then, it looks like a light bulb clicks on inside her head, 'cuz she suddenly brightens up. “In that case, I have some brilliant ideas for it! I’ll get started right away. Come back in, say, two hours, and I’ll have it ready for you. Or, of course, I can personally deliver it. Whichever you’d prefer. Oh, it's going to look marvelous! Do you need anything else, or just this?”

“Just that, Rarity, thank you,” Fluttershy says.

She’s really gonna fix it? Can’t be. I’m freakin’ out.

“Oh, no, it’s okay, really,” I say, walkin’ over to get my kite back. “I don’t have anythin’ to pay you with, and neither does Daddy. I’ll just take it and get out of your way.”

“Nonsense!” Rarity says, stoppin’ me from gettin’ my kite back. “It’s on the house! A friend of Fluttershy’s is a friend of mine!”

… Friend?

Fluttershy smiles real sweet-like. Rarity immediately puts the kite on the table and gets to work. My mouth is hangin’ open ‘cuz I just don’t know what’s goin’ on. I just didn’t know ponies could be so nice.

“Oh, thank you so much, Rarity! We’ll be back for it later, no problem,” Fluttershy says all kind-like.

I back toward the door with Fluttershy, my mind tryin’ to function right, ‘cuz it’s not. I can’t tell if this is still some prank. But Rarity says she’s gonna work on it. Can she fix it? I don’t think there’s no way. Fluttershy’s takin’ me back out the door, leavin’ Rarity to work. Can she really fix my kite? It’s too good to be true.

We walk back outside. It’s real sunny out. A great day. An even better day if I get my kite fixed. Fluttershy’s all smiley. I guess I don’t know how to feel.

“Thanks for helpin’, Fluttershy,” I say, ‘cuz I don’t know what else to do. “I’ll come back for it in a coupla hours. I guess I’ll go home and tell Daddy what happened.”

Fluttershy’s smile disappears. “Oh. Are you done cloud fishing?”

I don’t know what she’s talkin’ ‘bout. My kite is broken. It’s dead. I can’t go cloud fishin’ without it. It’s impossible now.

“My kite’s gone. I’ll have to stop for now.”

I kick the dirt in front of me. I got two hours with nothin’ to do. I just hope I can get my kite back.

Fluttershy is lookin’ at me all strange-like. “I can help you fish for clouds... I mean, if you’d like that, that is...”

I don’t know what she’s talkin’ ‘bout. It’s impossible now. I don’t see any kites on her.

“What do you mean?”

She don’t say nothin’. She just shows me one of her wings. She flexes it, all feathery and soft. I think she’s rubbin’ it in my face, like they always do.

“My wings haven’t grown in yet, so I can’t fly. Daddy says they’re gonna grow in, though, I promise. Thanks anyway.”

Fluttershy frowns. “What’s that sticking out of your sides, then? Um, they look like wings to me.”

I look at my little assortment of feathers. “These?” I say, shufflin’ ‘em ‘round, the little of ‘em there still are. “They’re just temporary wings. They ain’t good for flyin’. I’m talkin’ ‘bout my real wings.”

“Oh, yes... well, so am I.”

I don’t know what she’s talkin’ ‘bout. I reel ‘round real quick-like, tryin’ to see my wings, but they ain’t there. I don’t know what she’s talkin’ ‘bout.

“You can see my wings?” I ask, expecting a no.

“Yes.”

That was not a no.

Now I’m turnin’ ‘round, ‘cuz I gotta see my wings, but I can’t, and I don’t know why, ‘cuz Fluttershy can see ‘em plainly. What’s goin’ on? Why can’t I see ‘em, but she can? Is that how wings work? That’s strange.

I suddenly get all smiley. I’m warm all over. I have wings. I have wings. Ohmygosh, I have wings! Everypony told me that I was so stupid for thinkin’ I had ‘em, but now I really do! And I’m so happy I could just burst. I wanna explode.

“You can see my wings!” I say, gettin’ all teary-eyed ‘cuz nopony could before. “You can see ‘em!”

Fluttershy smiles, and I love it. She can see my wings, and I love her.

“So, um, would you want to go fishing still? I can help you, I know a cloud we can catch.”

I nod my head all happy-like, ‘cuz I have someone I can go cloud fishin’ with ‘sides Daddy on certain days. I’ve never had that before. Nopony ever wants to. Ever.

Fluttershy’s smile is the brightest and most beautifulest thing I’ve ever seen. “Okay,” she says, offering me a hoof. “Hold on to me, and we can do it. I promise.”

I take her hoof, and she continues to smile. She starts to beat her wings. She’s levitatin’. She’s flyin’. I’m holdin’ her with both hooves. I feel a lot lighter. I feel like I don’t weigh at all, if that’s possible. I look down.

I’m flyin’.

“Haha! Hahahaha! I’m flyin’! I’m flyin’! Wow!” I’m hootin’ and hollerin’ ‘cuz I’m finally flyin’. It’s totally crazy. I feel totally crazy, and it’s a real good feelin’.

“Hold on, let’s go find a cloud!”

And I hold on tight. I keep real close to her. I’m smiley all over, spreading from wing to wing. Fluttershy is now my kite, and I’m confident that we’re gonna catch a cloud today.

o----o

“That one!” Fluttershy says to me as we’re soarin’ ‘bove the clouds. She points to a cloud real far below us, and that’s the cloud we’re gonna catch. This time we have the advantage. No cloud’s gonna be ‘spectin us to drop in on top of it. I put on my grimace face. I got it this time.

“Now, Fluttershy! Get it!” I holler.

We start to drift downward. The cloud has no idea we’ve got it, but now we do. I know it. All those years of tryin’ and failin’ are comin’ to a close.

“Remember to aim for the right spot, just like I told you! I don't want you to get hurt or anything, that would be just awful...” Fluttershy reminds me, and I see the spot she’s talkin’ ‘bout.

We get down closer to the cloud. We can’t miss. We got one shot. I’m gonna catch a cloud today. I let go of Fluttershy.

I’m free fallin’. I’m headin’ right for that spot that Fluttershy told me to get. It’s mine.

“Gotcha! Haha!”

Poof. I land on somethin’ real soft. I got it. I’ve landed on the cloud, the soft spot that Fluttershy told me ‘bout. I’ve finally got it. I’ve finally got what I wanted. All those things that Daddy told me I needed to succeed have payed off. I’m here. I’ve made it. It’s the most magical feelin’ I’ve ever felt.

Fluttershy comes down and lands next to me. She’s still smilin’. I’m smilin’ too. My cheeks are beginnin’ to hurt.

“Woohoo! You did it! Great job!” Fluttershy says, loungin’ on the cloud.

I did it. I finally did it. Here I am, on this cloud... and it’s mine. I did it. I don’t have no more words to say.

“Oh, do you like it? You do like it... don’t you?”

I love it. I love it so much I’m cryin’. I can’t say nothin’, so I just nod my head, agreein’ with her.

I realize I’m sittin’ on some sort of pillow, which is the thing Fluttershy told me to aim for. Feels like it’s made out of pegasus feathers. I ain’t never seen any feathers like these before. It’s real soft. I didn’t know that these were a part of the cloud. I guess I was just missin’ this spot all along.

But it don’t matter. I got it now.

This cloud is everythin’ I’ve ever dreamed of. It’s soft, milky white, fluffy, and everythin’ else a cloud would ever be. I don’t know what to say. Everythin’ about it is so perfect. The scenery, the clouds, the sky. The wind, the sun, the company. It's all so perfect. I relax on the pillow even more, ‘cuz I wanna be all lazy, and I wanna let it all soak in.

I don’t wanna leave now. I don’t ever wanna leave. This feels great. All those years of cloud fishin’ were worth it for this moment right here. And there was nothin’ else to it. Alls I needed was my wings. I got ‘em now. I got my wings, and nothin’ can stop me. Now I can soar from cloud to cloud with ease. Now I can soar from place to place so I can find new things. Now I can do anythin’.

I stare into the distance, ‘cuz I can see for miles and miles. All the clouds in the sky are bein’ lit up by the sun. Celestia does a real good job of makin’ everythin’ beautiful, and I never really noticed before. Not until now. My vision's all blurry, 'cuz I'm still cryin' for some reason.

“His name is Butterscotch,” Fluttershy says all of a sudden.

“Hm?”

“Oh, um, the cloud. His name is Butterscotch. Sorry for the confusion.”

I look down. I run my hoof through the cloud, and my hoof passes right through it, just like my kite thread. Clouds have names? I didn’t know that. How does she know that it’s name is Butterscotch?

“Clouds have names?” I ask.

“Oh, of course,” Fluttershy responds. “I’ve met the pony who names them. There were only 568 names then, but now there must be over 1,000.”

“Wow,” I say. “Do those one’s over there have names?” I point to a coupla clouds off in the distance.

Fluttershy looks to where I’m pointin’. She points to the first one. “Oh, sure! That there is Crystal." She points to the other. "And that one is Marc.”

I’ve met two clouds. Crystal, and Marc. I’ve caught one. Butterscotch.

I thought today was gonna be great, but I guess I really had no idea. Today is better than great now. Today is the best day ever of all time, I can officially say that. I just wanna scream it to the world. Everypony that ever told me I don’t got wings. Everypony that ever laughed at me. Everypony that ever thought my dreams weren’t real. I’m on a cloud now. Nothin’ else matters. Nothin’.

The view is amazing. The sun is so bright up here, like a big ‘ol lantern hung right there in the sky. It’s nothin’ like bein’ on the ground. The ground is so borin’. Bein’ up here makes the ground look like crud. I can see some pegasus ponies in the distance, and they’re floatin’ from cloud to cloud. There’s some ducks out there, too. They all look happy. I feel happy for them. I only wish Daddy could be here. He’d agree with me. Daddy would know exactly what I’m talkin’ ‘bout.

Daddy ain’t here. But Fluttershy is.

“Fluttershy... can I ask you a question?”

“Oh, yes, of course, anything.”

My eyes are all watery still. My eyes are all watery, ‘cuz everythin’ is just so beautiful. Everythin’s so perfect. And I don’t wanna have to ask the question to spoil it, but here goes.

“Fluttershy... back at Rarity’s, she said that you were a friend of mine. Is that true?”

Fluttershy’s face is half-hidin’ underneath her mane. She blows it away with a breath. She smiles. “Certainly! Oh, I mean, if you’d like to be...”

I’ve never had a friend before.

“I... I think I’d like that very much,” I say.

“Then we’re friends.”

I feel like cryin’. I have the best friend in the whole wide world, and the best Daddy in the whole wide world. All in one day. Alls it took was one day. It’s the best day of my life. It’s the best day ever of all time. I don’t want it to end.

Fluttershy’s lookin’ at me all strange-like. I can’t really ‘splain to her why I’m gettin’ all teary-eyed. It’s complicated. Maybe just ‘cuz it’s been awhile since I’ve felt so good. Maybe I just can’t handle all that happiness. There’s a lot of it, and I guess some of it just has to pour out of me. I can’t help it.

I’m gettin’ all emotional and I don’t know why. I guess... I guess I’ve never felt this way. Havin’ a friend. Havin’ wings. Havin’ a cloud. It can’t get no better than that. I’m livin’ my dreams. What I see in my dreams I am seein’ in real life right now. It’s so wonderful. I wipe away some of the tears from my eyes, and they fall and soak into the pillow.

“Mommy would be proud of me,” I say suddenly, not knowin’ what else to say. It’s the first time I’ve brought up Mommy in a long time.

“Oh, wonderful.” Fluttershy says. She turns onto her back and stares upward. She looks silly. I love it. “Um, where is your Mommy?”

I sorta shrug, tears fallin’ from my eyes ‘cuz I can’t stop ‘em. My happiness is fallin’ out of me real fast now, and I love that, too.

“I dunno,” I tell Fluttershy. “I dunno, but Daddy says that she’s in a real nice place, a place where she can watch me and be proud of me. I can’t see her, though. I guess she’s kinda like my wings. Daddy says I got both of ‘em, even though I can’t see ‘em. Whatever Daddy says is the truth, so I believe him. So I think Mommy would be proud.”

Fluttershy don’t say nothin’ to that. I don’t say nothin’ neither. Maybe we both don’t know how to feel. Maybe we both just think alike. Thinkin’ is fine. I like to think. I can see her gettin’ all emotional now with me, though. She must be thinkin’ ‘bout somethin’ like what I’m thinkin’ ‘bout. We sit in silence.

“Your Daddy must be very special,” Fluttershy says finally. She looks out into the distance all brave-like.

“He’s the best Daddy ever,” I say, “I love him very much.”

Fluttershy don’t say nothin’ again. She’s just thinkin’. I guess I have to do the talkin’. I don’t really mind. I like talkin’, now that I got a friend that wants to hear what I got to say, anyway.

“Fluttershy, I got somethin’ I wanna tell you.”

Fluttershy gets all smiley again. I love that. “Yes, what is it?”

I shrug again. “I love you. Is that okay?”

Fluttershy nods her head. She scoots real close to me and hugs me. She hugs me real tight, like Daddy, and her body is warm, and it’s soft. I start to feel really really emotional.

“Oh, yes, that’s okay,” she tells me. “I’ll be here whenever you need me, and that’s a promise.”

And she holds me. And we cry together. And it’s a good sorta cryin’. And we sit and watch the clouds. And we sit and watch the ducks and the pegasus ponies. And we sit and watch the world go by. And I love it. And for the first time in my life, I feel like I’m not so lonely after all.

o----o

I wave goodbye to Fluttershy as I back toward my doorway. I wanna see Daddy. I wanna see Daddy now, ‘cuz I love him, and I gotta tell him that. I gotta tell him ‘bout my day. I gotta tell him ‘bout everythin’.

I walk in through the door, and Daddy’s sittin’ at the counter, like he was waitin’ for me, like he knew. ‘Cuz Daddy is the best. Daddy is the best, and I’m sure Mommy thought so, too.

“Ah, you’re back,” Daddy says as I stand in the doorway. “Say, I found a new kite in the mail... where’s it from? Where’s your old one? Did you catch anything?”

I don’t say nothin’. I don’t say nothin’ at all. Daddy’s waitin’ and lookin’ at me all strange-like. I don’t say nothin’. My eyes are shinin’ ‘cuz I’m gettin’ all emotional. Daddy’s gettin’ all concerned. I can’t stop myself. He’s gettin’ out of his chair ‘cuz he wants to be there for me. And I love that ‘bout him. And I love my Daddy.

“Sweetie, are you okay? Did you get hurt?”

Boy, I love my Daddy.

I lose it. I’m runnin’ towards Daddy ‘fore I know it, all cryin’ and sobbin’ and teary-eyed, ‘cuz I just feel great today for the first time in my life, and I throw myself into Daddy and he picks me up and rocks me like he always does, and his body is real warm like it always is, and he’s here for me all the time every single day, and I can’t talk ‘cuz I’m all choked up, ‘cuz life is beautiful and life is great and life is extraordinary and life is short, and I’m makin’ the most of it, and Daddy is helpin’ me make the most of it too, and so I squeeze him and I hug him and I hold him real tight ‘cuz I can’t explain how I feel, ‘cuz there ain’t no words to explain it, and Daddy’s holdin’ me right back ‘cuz he loves me, and I love him, and I love him to bits and pieces ‘til the world explodes and we sit and watch ‘cuz our love can’t die, and it won’t die, and I will always love him, and he will never ever ever fade away, ‘cuz he’s my Daddy, and Daddy’s are here to stay.

Always.

“Daddy,” I say all lovey-like, my eyes all watery, “I love you. I love you so much. And if Mommy were here... I’d love her too.”

Daddy smiles real big and he gets all teary-eyed. He hugs me tighter.

And I bury myself into his mane. And it smells like butterscotch. And it feels like a cloud. And I realize that all of my dreams have come true.

I’ve gone cloud fishin’. I’ve gone cloud fishin’, and from my experiences, I know that the world is good.