• Published 29th Oct 2012
  • 4,565 Views, 332 Comments

Big Mac's Dream Journal - Trevosta

  • ...
18
 332
 4,565

Rainbows

Rainbow Dash grabbed Big Mac’s dream journal from his room, before she began her weather duty, there was a quick storm scheduled for today, and she needed to get everything organized, before the downpour started and she got some free time.


“Applebloom!” Applejack shouted at her little sister. “Ya gotta help me ‘n Mac clean up the West Field before the pegasi start the rain.”

Applebloom came scurrying out of the house to help her siblings. Applejack was tossing sticks and loose tools into the wagon that her brother was pulling. Applebloom put her youthful energy to good use, aiding her sister in her task.

They continued to clean up the orchard, while the airborne ponies continued to pack the clouds together.


Rainbow Dash settled back into her bed, having organized and set off the storm perfectly, now she could just relax and read, while waiting for the storm to burn out.

Something caught her attention, though.


Note: Remember to censor names before showing anypony.


Rainbow’s heart began to pound, this might be the chapter that reveals who Macintosh liked, and was the very reason that she had begun to read this story; however, she didn’t know if she wanted to know who he liked anymore, but she read on anyway.


It was early morning, and the past few days had been physically and mentally exhausting. The stress from taking down an enemy ship, the feasting that came from that, nursing some of the survivors back to health, and functioning with a crew that was slightly too small for the ship can take their tolls on the mental health of a crew.

Thankfully, we had a couple of days in port, to recuperate, as well as deliver and get paid for the small shipment that I had agreed upon delivering.

We were beginning to pull into port, with ponies and dogs shouting at their subordinates. The crew was beginning to get antsy, and ready to dock, surely some of them would spread stories of the fall of the Swiftwing.

There would certainly be some stories circulating the port towns about the very instance, and just hearing what the local ponies have heard was going to be entertaining.


“Oh, someone seems cocky.”


The commotion on deck had apparently awoken my slumbering griffon guests. Vincent came ambling up the stairs, while Gilda followed, leaning against her mate groggily.

“Howdy.” I said, as they approached the wheel. “Sleep well?” I strategically ignored the few judgmental glares sent towards the griffons.

“Indeed,” Vincent said with an air of restfulness and gratitude, “much better than I have in a long time.”

“Still ain’t a cloud nest.” Gilda mumbled.

“Ah’m sorry ‘bout that.” I chuckled. “Did ya make a decision about yer plans?”

“Yes, I believe that we did.” Vincent began. “We would agree to join your crew, on a few terms.” He shuffled a little, upsetting the delicately balanced griffoness that was leaning against him. “I want to go back home, sometime within the next year or so. I have not seen my family in a while, and I would much appreciate the chance to show them that I am not dead.”

“Understandable.” I agreed.


“I wonder how his family is doing, with him disappearing like that.” Rainbow Dash mumbled.


It was apparently Gilda’s turn to bargain with me, “And we want to be treated like crew.” She demanded.

“Ah can make that promise fer mahself and most of the crew, but there’s a few that ain’t so keen on ya bein’ here.” I said with a shrug. “Ah’ll do what Ah can though.” I looked between them, and they looked at each other, “That all?” I’ asked and they nodded. I was exceedingly glad for the fairly simple negotiations. “Alright, before ya disembark, Ah’ll give ya a small ‘signing bonus’.” I finished with a smile and a shake of their talons.

“Listen up!” I shouted at the rest of the crew, after the ship had been adequately moored. “Vincent ‘n Gilda are now a part o’ the crew,” A few cheers rang out among the ponies and dogs, as well as a few grumbles of complaint. “Now, remember we shove off at noon so be back by ten.” And with that, the crew was off.

“Hey, Captain.” I heard Daring call from behind. “What are your plans for today?”

I turned to find her looking up at me a raised eyebrow and a knowing little smirk. “Well, I was thinkin’ ‘bout goin’ out shoppin’ fer some supplies, an then gettin’ some dinner.” I smiled at her, “Would ya care ta join me?”

She let out a cute little squeal, before gathering her wits and saying, “Sure, I think I would be willing to do that. But first, I need to take a bath and get ready.” She began to flutter off, before turning towards me. “You should do the same, I don’t want to go on a date with a dirty, salty, sailor. I want my date to look good beside me.”


“Awww.” Rainbow cooed, “Their first date!”


I chuckled as she flew off to make herself pretty. I then trotted off to do the same.
I bathed, combed and trimmed my mane and beard (which was now becoming long), and put on a nicer cape and hat. I then left to meet my date for the evening.


“Hmmm…” Rainbow pondered aloud. “I wonder what Mac would look like with a beard…”


It wasn’t long before my date met me on the dock beside my ship. She had exchanged her dusty explorer shirt for a crisp white one. She had also left her helmet behind, in exchange for a clean and simple braid that separated each shade of grey into its own strand before tying it back in with the others.

“Yer jus’ pretty as a picture, ain’t ya?” I said to my date, who blushed furiously at the simple compliment.

“Aw, thanks.” Her wings ruffled slightly, “You clean up well, yourself Captain.”

“Thank ya kindly,” I gestured towards the town, “Would the lovely lady like ta git going?”

She giggled slightly, as we began our simple date. The shopping really just consisted of a bunch of errands, but it was far more enjoyable than most shopping trips because of the company.

There was a lot of commotion in the town; surprisingly, almost none of it was about the sinking of the Swiftwing. Apparently there had been some sort of commotion and some celebrities, who weren’t Daring Doo, were in town.

When we finally went for dinner, we located a fairly classy place and found a table. We sat, chatted, and laughed. We spent hours there, and managed to pick up on the local news.

According to the locals, an ancient evil had returned, dead-set on taking over the world, through violent storms that had ravaged the countryside and towns. The rampaging weather beast had apparently made its way here, where it was stopped by six great heroes.


Rainbow Dash was stunned, “Is it… Me? A-and the girls?”


I began to become antsy as I made some connections. “Hmmm… I wonder who it could be?” My adventurous companion voiced her confusion. “I’m not used to being around celebrities. Do you think we’ll see them?” She began to bounce around excitedly.

I chuckled nervously, “Ah, uh, think it might be time to go back to the ship.”

“Aw, come on, Macintosh. Can’t we go celebrity spotting?”

“Yer a celebrity.”

“That’s beside the point.”

“Well, Ah’m headin’ back if Ah’m right, Ah should try ta avoid meetin’ em.”

“You know who it is!?!?”

“Maybe.”

“Who do you think it is?”

“Ah ain’t tellin’ ya.”

“Aw, please?” She asked with the biggest pleading eyes that I have ever seen.

“If we go back now, Ah’ll tell ya.”

“Fine, as long as we get to go celebrity spotting tomorrow.”

“We’ll see.”

We left the restaurant and headed back to the ship, and I told her my thoughts.

“No. Way.” She was finding it exceedingly difficult to believe what I was saying. “Your sister is the Element of Honesty? And you think they’re here? Why are we not out there?”


“Oh my gosh…” Rainbow’s jaw was hanging loosely on its hinges.


“Ah ain’t talked with her fer a while, an’ Ah don’t think she’d be too happy with me.” I then scraped the dock with a hoof nervously. “An’ it ain’t her that Ah’m scared ta see…”

She gasped, “Is one of the Elements the mare that you liked? The one that I remind you of?” She was far more excited than I expected, for hearing about the mare that I liked before her.

“...Eeyup…”

“OHMYGOSH!!!” definitely more excited than I expected. “I remind you of one of the Elements of Harmony? I NEED to meet her!”


Rainbow Dash’s heart was pounding violently on her ribcage, “H-he likes o-one of us…?”


“Captain, we’re back!” came the call from Gilda as she and Vincent landed on the vessel, distracting Daring Doo long enough for me to pry myself out of the clutches of the excitable pegasus.

“Howdy,” I stepped away from the pony that may have been drooling over the possibility of meeting the Elements of Harmony, to meet up with the griffons of my crew. “How was yer day?”

“Fine,” Vincent replied, “But we’re exhausted and hitting the bunks.”

“Very well.” I saw them off, and many of their comrades followed shortly afterward. Most of them made it to their bunks, excluding Chance, who enjoyed sleeping outside, and Grog, who had passed out in a pickle barrel.

Finally, I had managed to convince Daring to go to sleep, and I was in my quarters, looking over my map and more specifically at the place where the island where we were heading should be. This would be our last night on shore, before heading out to the island, and I was beginning to consider when I should inform the crew of our destination and goal. I decided that it wasn’t vital to think about that at the moment and settled in to my hammock to sleep; but before I did, I pulled out some paper and a quill and began to write.


“M-Mac, you silly pony,” Dash nervously attempted to joke with the author, “You d-don’t put a night’s sleep in the middle of a chapter.”


I was awoken in the wee hours of the morning, by a light, but hurried, knocking on my cabin door.

“Cap’n!” I heard Pointer forcefully whisper into my room. “There be a stowaway!”

That got me up quick. I screwed my leg on as fast as I could and hurried out on deck, as quietly as possible for a pony with a wooden leg.

“Where?”

“In the crow’s nest.” He began explaining. “I was climbin’ up ta ready me workspace, when I found a pony sleepin’. She’s still there.” He kept looking up at the towering mast while describing the event.

“What’s happening out here?” Came the grumpy, sleep laden voice of Gilda as she began to emerge from the bowels of the ship.

“Gilda, there’s a stowaway in the crow’s nest.” I explained, then realized that a griffon could be the best choice for this job, with the intimidation factor and her strength and ability to fly, “Yer part of mah crew and the best fer the job, and as yer captain Ah’d like ya ta check it out.”

She looked up, saluted, donned a fearsome expression and took off for the unwelcome passenger.

“Mornin’ Captain Mac, what’s going on?”

I turned to find Daring Doo standing beside me, her mane back to its usual windswept style, and hidden beneath her helmet. I nodded to her in greeting, but put a hoof over my lips to quiet her, then I pointed to the griffon whose wings were carrying her higher into the rafters of the ship.

We all stared intently at the crow’s nest, and I unsheathed my cutlass, as we awaited the oncoming storm. Gilda brandished the curved blades that adorned her digits, and scowled, in an attempt to scare the pony off of the ship.

Gilda braced herself and took a deep breath as she rose above the ledge of the crow’s nest. She then recoiled in shock and froze.

Gilda began to fall out of the sky, but she quickly recovered and climbed into the basket.


“Why was Gilda shocked?”


I heard Gilda gently (for her) wake up the sleeping pony, and then they began to talk.

I recognized the voice.

Of all the ponies it could possibly be, it just had to be her.

Why did it have to come to this?

Maybe, I thought, it wasn’t her.

Maybe they were too far away for me to properly hear her.

Maybe it was another pony.

Maybe I wasn’t hiding my internal turmoil as well as I thought I was.

“Captain?” came a much more welcome voice from beside me. “Are you all right?”

“Uh,” I stumbled. “Y-yeah, Daring… Ah’m jus’ fine…”

“Is it… Her?” She whispered, her voice bubbling with excitement.

“Who?” Chance, who had just wandered in, asked.

I didn’t answer. I just stared at the crow’s nest, where I saw the stowaway lift her head over the rail of the lookout point.

It was her.


Rainbow Dash didn’t know if she wanted to keep reading, but the suspense was killing her.


Of all of the ponies it could possibly be, it just had to be my sister’s best friend.


“Huh?”


The mare that I had secretly loved for the past two years.


“W-what?”


She was also the most vibrantly colorful pony that I had ever met.

I saw the prismatic mane raise above the ledge, sprawled messily over the backdrop of sky blue that made up her coat color, and framing her rosy magenta eyes. Gilda seemed to be excited that she was here, and Daring would probably be ecstatic, but I didn’t want her to know that I was here. I lowered my head and pulled my hat over my eyes, noticing in the process that my exploring companion was, in fact, ecstatic.

“Captain!” Gilda was apparently unaware of my plight. “Meet an old friend of mine, Rainbow Dash! Rainbow, meet Captain Macintosh and Daring Doo!”


Rainbow Dash shut the book, and slid it away from her.

Big Mac liked her.

For two years.

The emotions that she felt at the moment were so conflicting. On the one hoof, they both liked each other, so that was totally awesome and made this the best day ever. On the other hoof, she had been sneaking into his room and stealing his stuff for a while, so he probably wouldn’t be too happy with her.

She could at least finish the chapter, right?


Of all the things that she could’ve possibly said, introducing me by my title and name was at the bottom of the list of things that I wanted her to say.

Thankfully she didn’t pay me any attention.

Neither did Daring Doo.

“OHMYGOSH!!!” came the screaming duet from the eerily similar pegasus mares. “Daring Doo/Rainbow Dash!” Who apparently recognized each other.

They continued to scream in unison for the next few moments, until their stories differed.

“You know who I am?”

“That is sooo cool!”

“I love your books!” / “I saw you at the Best Young Fliers competition!”

“You were there?!?!” / “The Element of Loyalty reads my books?!?!”


“I wonder if she really was there…”


I then turned to Chance, Pointer, and the gathering crowd of ponies and dogs, all of which were staring at the spectacle in awe and confusion.

“It’s like watching a mirror.” Somepony observed.

“It’s freaky.” Came another astute observation.

Then one of the screaming mares realized something. “Wait…” Rainbow Dash said, forcefully stopping the conversation and all commotion on deck. “Captain who?”

She turned to me, fixing an evaluating gaze on me, while Gilda answered her question. “Macintosh, like the apple.”


“Uh oh…”


“Macintosh Apple…” I could almost see the gears turning in her head as she pieced the puzzle together. Suddenly, she was at my side, pulling up my cape to reveal the false leg and apple cutie mark. “B-Big Macintosh? As in AJ’s brother?” She seemed shocked and almost disgusted to see me.


“I wouldn’t be disgusted!” Rainbow argued with the manuscript. “I love you!” Then she slammed her hooves over her mouth.


Daring Doo enjoyed that though, “Ooohh, Captain Big Macintosh. I like it.” I sent a cold glare her direction. “Sorry, not helping.”

“What the heck!” Rainbow Dash shouted at me. “Do you have any idea how bad you hurt your sister?”

I sighed, the entire crew was now on deck, staring at the mare who was currently shouting at their captain.

“Do you have any idea what you did to Ponyville?” She started to flutter in the air so that she could look down on me. “Suddenly, the biggest, strongest, most eligible stallion goes missing without so much as a, ‘Hey, I’m leaving.’ The entire town was in a standstill when you left.”

“What good was Ah before that?” I interjected carefully.

“Wh-what?”

“A cripple is useless on an apple farm, an’ Ah was nothin’ more than a sad reminder of better days to AJ.” She had landed by now, most of the crew was sitting in shock, some of them even holding their breath. “Ah was babied and treated like Ah was useless, with AJ lookin at me with regret.” I took a deep breath in an attempt to clear my head. “Out here, Ah can be somepony. Ah’ve already stopped two criminals.” Rainbow Dash looked to Daring Doo, who confirmed what I said with a nod.


“Now I feel like a jerk.”


“Who?”

“Ahuizotol and Captain Swiftwing.” Daring Doo answered for me.

She stood with her mouth agape, and silence reigned on deck for a while, the only sound being that of seagulls and the light harbor waves.

“Ah got somethin’ fer mah sister.” I told her, “Hold on.” I walked through the throng of ponies and dogs, carefully making my way to my cabin, where I retrieved a letter that I had written for my sister the night before.

As I approached Rainbow Dash, I discovered that Daring Doo was just finishing the story of when we met. Even those who had heard it before were listening intently, but Gilda, Vincent, and Rainbow Dash were the most intense.

“M-Mac actually killed Ahuizotol?” Rainbow Dash stammered.

“Eeyup.” I then passed the letter, which contained a pouch of bits, that should help compensate for not having me on the farm. “Could ya make sure AJ gets this? Just so she knows Ah’m alive.”

Ah had never seen the confident mare so unnerved before. Apparently, finding out that somepony killed the main antagonist in a bestselling series can change your view of them. Thankfully, though, she took the letter, and flew off to find her friends.

More silence rang out, until Daring said, “I like her, but why was she here?”

Gilda answered, “Oh, she saw me in town and stalked me, then she fell asleep in the crow’s nest.”

To which I responded. “Ah have a headache.”


Rainbow felt lighter than a cloud, to know that Big Mac liked her made her giddy, but knowing that he would probably be mad was tying a knot in her stomach.

A crack of thunder reminded her that she needed to get the book back before Mac returned, she didn’t want him knowing that she was stealing his things, if she could avoid it.

She held the book to her chest and took flight from her window, soaring over the cloud layer as she sped towards the home of her love, desperately hoping that he wouldn’t see her.


Big Mac and Applejack were finally putting things away, they had put the cart in the barn, and they had come in to dry off. Mac was now returning to his room with a large towel draped over his back.

He pushed open the door and trotted in, moving behind the door, where he hung his yoke on a peg and dried it off with his towel. He was still slightly damp from the rain when he felt a cool breeze blow through his room.

He shivered and realized that he could hear the rain and wind outside far better than he should be able to. Curious, he pushed his door shut and flicked on the light.

Nothing could have possibly prepared him for what he saw in front of him.

There, standing on the floor beside his bed, was Rainbow Dash.

The speedster was dripping wet and frozen in place, a look of terror and shock plastered on her face.

The two ponies stared blankly at each other, their eyes scanning the other for any signs of a plan.

Several seconds of silence, broken only by the storm brewing outside and the sound of water dripping on the floorboards, rang out louder than anything else could’ve.

Rainbow Dash stayed as still as she could, as though hoping that she couldn’t be seen if she didn’t move. Her hopes were in vain.

“Uh, Rainbow, w-w-why are ya in mah room?” Big Mac asked, cocking his head to the side.

She jolted, getting upright in a blink of an eye. “Oh, uh you see there’s a funny story about that.” She laughed nervously “You’re really gonna get a kick out of this one. You know when you went away for the rodeo? Of course you do. Well, there was a storm, and it broke your window, s-so Applejack recruited me to help her clean up your room. While I was in here helping, I found your d-dream j-journal.” She held up the book to help make her point, which drew a heavy blush from Big Macintosh. “So I took it, hoping to find some blackmail for anytime that I might want it, maybe something so I could get some info about AJ, I don’t know. Anyway, I started reading it, and then I really liked it.” Big Mac raised an eyebrow at that. “So I kept reading, and then I started to get a crush on your character, and then I started getting a crush on you, and then I found out that you had a crush on me, and don’t be mad, and I’M SORRY!” She finished with a scream as she leapt out the door, leaving behind a confused, windswept, and very embarrassed stallion.

After just a moment’s hesitation, Macintosh Apple hurried over to his window, to watch the spiritually broken mare drop to the ground and trudge over to his barn. His emotions and thoughts were swirling around, but he knew that he had to comfort her.

However, he had no idea how.


Rainbow Dash pushed the door of the barn open with her snout, as her soggy wings drooped to the ground. She trudged across the floor, dragging her hooves and allowing her usually high-held head to hang in humiliation.

“Well…” She sighed, “I blew that chance.” Even allowing herself to seriously consider Big Mac as a potential special somepony was a big step for her.

Something that very few ponies knew was that she was seriously scared of romantic relationships. The whole, “Element of Loyalty” thing probably played into it; she couldn’t stand watching other ponies “hop” from one relationship to another, it disgusted her more than anything. Getting that involved with another pony should be a serious thing, it was a commitment.

The only other time that she had made an attempt at a romantic relationship was with that Hoops guy. He was so tough, so cool, so confident, not very bright, but he was cool. His confidence became overbearing, and he started making unwanted comments and advancements on Rainbow. She told him that she wanted to take it slow, but he refused to listen. Eventually, he got a bit too frisky, and Rainbow kicked him in the jaw, and took off.

He left her alone for the most part after that, but he was still mad at being dumped so hard, so whenever Rainbow saw him and his friends, they made every attempt to embarrass and demean her.

Rainbow had finally made her way over to the nearest hay stack and collapsed.

She sobbed.

Rainbow Dash openly cried.

But she didn’t have that much of a chance, before she was interrupted by a gentle touch on her back.

She jumped a little, and turned around to find Big Mac draping a towel across her. She blinked, attempting to get rid of the tears, and he sat down next to her.

They sat. Rainbow tried to compose herself, and Mac tried to think of something to say.

Eventually, Rainbow Dash managed to croak out another, “I-I’m s-sorry.”

“T’ain’t nothin’.” Big Mac said, then he scooted closer to her.

“I-I-I don’t b-bl-blame you, i-if you don’t want me here.” She managed to say through her fading sobs.

“Now, why wouldn’t Ah want ya here?” he asked, just before he wrapped a foreleg around her shoulders and pulled her into a firm embrace. “Ya need somepony, and Ah wouldn’t mind bein’ ‘somepony’.”

That managed to get a laugh out of her. “That was corny, Mac.” He chuckled a little bit, a deep, gentle sound that vibrated his whole ribcage. It was a nice sound. “But, y-you aren’t mad?”

“Nnope.” She could feel him shuffle slightly, “A bit embarrassed that Ah wasn’t stallion enough ta tell ya mahself, and that ya been readin’ that, but Ah ain’t mad.”

“Good, thanks.” Dash said, as she relished in the sensation of being in a stallion’s arms. Plus, the fact that he was warm and dry made things nice too.

Several more moments of silence split the barn as they shared a tender moment, before Mac’s curiosity got the better of him. “So, uh, where’d ya get?”

“What?”

“Where are ya? In mah book, Ah mean.”

“Oh, well, ‘you’, uh, just found ‘me’.”

He cringed, “Sorry, bout that.”

“Oh, no, It’s okay. It was kind of sweet.” She then though it through more, “A little rude, but sweet. By the way, two years?”

Big Mac’s face got warm at the reference to the timeframe that he had been crushing on his sister’s friend. “Eeyup.”

“So how many times have I been over for dinner, since then?”

He chuckled again, “Ah dunno, but Ah can guarantee that AJ’s been clueless. She’s gonna be so confused when ya tell her. And Applebloom’s gonna be so excited.”

“When I tell her? Why aren’t you gonna tell her?”

“Yer her best friend.”

“You’re her brother.”

They continued like this for about an hour, before Rainbow Dash needed to leave to clean up the remaining clouds and go back home.

“So, we can’t do anything today, but how about tomorrow?” She asked Mac as she prepared to leave.

“Tomorrow sounds great. Ah’ll be there at six thirty, below yer house.”

“Sounds good, I’ll see you then.” She turned to leave, but something stopped her. “Hey, Mac? Could I, maybe, read some more of your book? Please?”

He laughed, the deep rumbling already becoming one of Rainbow’s favorite sounds. “Sure, Ah’ll leave it on the window for ya if ya like.”

“Thanks, that sounds good. Bye Mac.”

“Bye Dash.”

Both were left with a deep satisfaction as they realized just how well this day had gone.

Author's Note:

Hmmm...
Not as awkward as I had hoped...
But I'm fairly pleased.