• Published 29th Oct 2012
  • 4,570 Views, 332 Comments

Big Mac's Dream Journal - Trevosta

  • ...
18
 332
 4,570

The Book

"Big Mac!" Applejack called into her brother's room, "Wake up! Ah know it's earlier than normal, but ya gotta git up!"

She heard him rolling in his bed and then she heard him mumble, "Ah'm the greatest pony pirate ta' sail the seas..."

She started to laugh, wondering what was going on inside the quiet pony's head. "Git' up 'Captain,' or yer gonna miss the train." she said, before walking away to prepare breakfast for her family.

Big Mac rolled out of bed, groaning, already feeling the latest installment of his epic dreams fading into the deep recesses of his mind. He sighed and donned his harness, he would need it for the next few days. He was delivering a crop of apples, all different kinds, to Canterlot. There he would be running the food stands at the National Rodeo Championships.

The Apple family had run the food there for years; recently, however, as it had grown in size, they were bringing in food from other farms. Including that cherry farm that Applejack had worked at at one point. That didn't bother Big Mac, the Apple stand was still the most popular, and got the most business every year.

He had to put several carts of apples on the train, go to Canterlot, and unload them; all this morning, so he needed to get up earlier. Luckily he had packed away some books to keep him entertained on the train.

Big Mac may not be the most vocal pony, but that was because he didn't need to be. He thought, a lot. Thinking allowed him to run through possibilities of what could happen before they did. Also, simple answers were easier, for everypony.

He had grabbed his breakfast, and harnessed himself to the first cart, throwing his suitcase between two of the barrels of cider that they had specifically saved for the rodeo, and headed off towards the train station. He repeated the trip several times, taking all of the Apple products that he would need to make the food to sell there with his cousin, Braeburn.

Eventually, Big Mac had the train loaded. He pulled out one of the books that he had packed and settled into his cabin. Pretty quickly, he nodded off into sleep, his mind resuming the epic tale that his thoughtfulness evoked. The same tale that he had been turning into a story, maybe even something worthy of publishing, with a little bit of work, and fixing some privacy violations.

Once again, he drifted off to the land of Captain Macintosh.


Rainbow Dash and the Ponyville Weather Team were making preparations, there had been a small drought for the last few weeks as their supply of clouds from Cloudsdale wasn't arriving on time. Eventually, with a bit of research and magical help from her friend Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash had developed a method of making rain clouds that should end Ponyville's drought.

The cocky pegasus was getting antsy, this was going to be a big storm, but everything should be alright. If everypony did their jobs to make preparations down below, as well as staying indoors, everything should go fine.

With a signal to the weather troops under her command, the fastest flier in Equestria took off, hauling the magically enhanced storm clouds to their positions in the sky. Giving another signal, the pegasi unleashed the floodgates, drenching the town below, and causing the storm to rip through the sky.

Rainbow had settled down in her cloud mansion, looking into the distance to see Canterlot Castle, she vaguely remembered her friend Applejack saying something about Canterlot recently. There was some big competition going on there, and Applejack's brother Macintosh was attending to run the Apple's food stand, or something. Rainbow hadn't really paid that much attention, because she didn't really care. Big Macintosh was attractive, but the fact that he was leaving for a few days didn't cause her to go nuts like it would've to most of the town.

He was a mystery to everypony in town. He didn't talk much, he basically responded to every question with a 'yes' or 'no,' but he did so with his slow country drawl, which after a while got on Rainbow's nerves.

Also, he couldn't fly. Why would she even think about a stallion that can't fly? Her guy needs to be able to keep up with her, thus making the only, even remotely, qualified stallions members of the Wonderbolts.

Why was she still thinking about Big Mac? When she was in her room, where she had posters of the Wonderbolts adorning each wall, a signed headshot of Soarin, and a large stack of Daring Do books.

She set her alarm for four hours later, when the storm would have dried itself up, and she opened the next book in her favorite series; cuddling into her blankets, letting the sun shine in through the window, while the faint sounds of thunder could be heard from below.


Applejack had seen her brother off to the train, just before she readied the farm for the upcoming storm, with the help of the Cutie Mark Crusaders, who were going to spend the day at the farmhouse while it stormed.

Applejack was always one to enjoy storms, the rain was soothing, the lightning was exciting, and the air was comfortable. Also, she didn't have to work if it was storming. The farm pony, along with her sister and friends, had finished readying the farm for the storm, by taking down any loose limbs, putting away loose equipment and the like, and was now sitting in the rocking chair on the porch.

She watched as the storm emptied itself over the town and the Apple Family's orchard. She could hear Granny Smith inside, telling the three fillies about the past, as they were trying to get their cutie marks for being historians. She loved their enthusiasm, but they needed to focus on what they enjoyed doing, not just try everything.

After a while, she went inside to the restroom. Sneaking carefully through the living room where Granny and the three fillies had fallen asleep. She walked up the stairs towards the bathroom, when she walked past Big Mac's room. For some reason the storm sounded like it was coming in louder in his room, but she ignored it.

After relieving herself; Applejack walked back towards the stairs, once again passing by her brother's room. This time, however, she stepped in a puddle. She opened the door, to see that a branch had broken his window, and the storm was filling up his room.

She just closed her eyes, hung her head and said, "Pony feathers."


Rainbow's latest adventure with the intrepid explorer was cut off by the ringing of her alarm clock. Even though she wanted to get back to Daring Do's trek into the bowels of a volcano, she couldn't leave Ponyville hanging. She needed to get out and help clear the skies.

The sky clearing didn't take long, she was the fastest flier in all of Equestria after all. When she was finished she looked down to see that she was over Sweet Apple Acres. She also noticed the three fillies rushing out of the door screaming something about horses.

Rainbow could feel her heart sink as she thought about what must have happened to Applejack and the inside of the farmhouse. Quickly she swooped into a dive and landed gracefully on the front porch. Carefully she pushed open the front door, and called inside, "Hello?" No response.

She pushed it open a bit more and stepped inside. Not much seemed out of place, Granny Smith was asleep in the living room, with three clipboards and pencils around her. One clipboard had neatly taken notes, the next seemed to be thrown together, with side notes and arrows everywhere on the page, and the last one had pictures of her and her cutie mark doodled all over it.

She smiled to herself and looked around the house seeing nothing out of the ordinary. That is, until she saw Applejack.

The farmer was soaked, covered in wet leaves, and she looked exhausted.

"Applejack, what happened?" Rainbow said, stifling laughter, and expecting an answer regarding the crusaders.

"Rainbow, Ah've been spendin' the last four hours tryin' to fix Big Mac's window, and Ah've been tryin' to clean up his room." she said through a sigh. "A branch came loose an took out the glass, his room then got soaked and Ah could really use some help. Do ya mind?" Applejack said, with her head hanging, and looking hopefully up at Rainbow.

"Yeah, sure thing, AJ. What do you want me to do?" She couldn't leave a friend in distress like this.

"Ah'm gonna' git a mop, and ya can help me get the water and glass up, then get all of the wet things out to dry, alright?"

The two mares cleaned together for a while, eventually getting all of the water up and they began taking the wet things out. Rainbow was putting anything that needed to be dried in a pile, while Applejack took it out to the clothesline.

"Come on," Rainbow muttered to herself, "He's got to have something embarrassing in here somewhere." The stallion seemed to have little in the way of anything. His room was boring, there were few things that could be taken as secrets. And Rainbow was getting annoyed that there were no dirty magazines, no baby pictures, no stuffed animals or anything.


In Canterlot Big Mac had unloaded his cargo from the train, set up shop with his cousin Braeburn, and was now unpacking. He reached the bottom of the pack, looked around to see if Braeburn was looking, and pulled out a beat up old stuffed doll. A certain Mr. Smartypants. He hugged the doll quickly and stuffed it under his blankets.


"Rainbow, how does the mattress look?" Applejack called upstairs snapping Rainbow back into attention.

"Oh, uh, it looks..." as she was inspecting it she noticed something sticking out from underneath. "Like I just found his dirty little secret..." she muttered with a devilish grin. "Yeah, we should probably take it out there." she said pulling the item out from under the mattress.

It was a small book, hard-bound with a picture of Big Mac's cutie mark on it. Rainbow smiled as she held it up and looked at it. Quickly, before Applejack arrived, she tucked the book under her wing and picked up the mattress.

"Let's get this out of here, shall we?" she said to her farmer friend before hauling the wet mattress out of the house.

They worked for a little while longer, until the room had finally been emptied of all wet belongings.


Rainbow arrived back at her house, dropping her spoils off on her bed before cleaning up. After a quick shower and a small dinner she decided to break open the book.

The first page appeared to be a title page of sorts, it simply had, Big Mac's Dream Journal, written on it. She snickered to herself, realizing that having this may have just given her the ultimate piece of blackmail against the big, red, stallion.

She then realized that she had no foreseeable need to blackmail Applejack's big brother. Maybe she could sell the secrets written inside to those that they might pertain to. There were plenty of mares in town who would kill to know what Big Mac thought about.

An evil grin spread across her face as she turned to the next page.

The first few pages were simple notes taken on completely irrelevant dreams, most of which involved apples. A few even involved being an apple. Rainbow Dash could slowly feel her bargaining chip become more worthless.

Just as she was about to give up; however, she found a paragraph labeled, 'Forward'.

Her heart began to race as she felt worth returning to the book. She began to read:

The following story is a recounting of a dream that has been tormenting me for days. The same dream returns every night, until I write it down. At that point the dream continues from where it left off. Initially I did not want to write this down, as it began dark and depressing, but I have found that writing it down has enabled me to finally get it out of my head. I have decided to write it as though it were a novel, in hopes that one day it may be good enough to publish, but at the moment this story is nothing more than a way to get this dream out of my head and see what happens next.

This was exciting, it may not be a Daring Do book, but it would still be entertaining. Besides, she might finally have a bargaining chip.

She took a deep breath before she turned the page, getting ready to read the deepest, darkest secrets in the farmer's mind.