• Published 3rd Jan 2012
  • 4,366 Views, 251 Comments

A History of Long Nights and Blood - Balancer



Vinyl vampire awesomeness, with a dash of Twilight crazy. Plus sad stuff.

  • ...
12
 251
 4,366

Chapter 1

Celestia’s sun was sinking into the horizon, bathing the sky red, ponies every where enjoyed the last warming rays of the sun as day slowly turned to night. Children played on swing sets, the elderly reminisced on sun sets gone by, and young lovers enjoyed the sight, creating new memories. On a hill just outside of Ponyvill, one such couple were enjoying the sunset of their first anniversary, not caring about the troubles of yesterday or the past, content to enjoy the moment of perfection they had created, hoping that the sun would freeze in the sky capturing this moment for ever….yet fate, as always, had other plans…

“Wow…you were right Vinyl, the sunset is beautiful from stargazer hill.” said the grey mare as she relaxed onto the blanket spread beneath her and her companion. “How did you find out about it?” she asked, turning her head to face the white unicorn mare beside her.

“Simple, just asked Twilight where any good places were to watch the sunset, this was the first place she suggested.” replied Vinyl, “Anyhoof because this is our special day I have one more surprise for you, two if you play your cards right.” she suggested with a wink.

“Really, what is it?”

“Dinner at Le saveurs de Prance…” she would have said more but was cut off by a sudden school girl squeal “whoa calm down Octy”

“Oh sorry Vinyl, it just that’s the single most prestigious restaurant in all of Canterlot, it’s rumoured that even the nobles have to make their reservations months in advance, how in Equestria did you get a table there?”

“The manager owed me a favour”

“You know Vinyl, one of these days you’re going to have to tell me why people in high places owe you favours”

“I don’t know what you’re on about Octavia”

“Really, how about the time you got the entire Equestrian concert hall booked for my quartet’s rehearsal, or the time you convinced the head of the Royal musical society to pick me for the Grand Galloping Gala”

“He he.” Vinyl chuckled “Maybe one day Octy, I’ll tell you, but I was thinking” she said as she embraced the gray mare next to her “the reservation is for tomorrow night, so I was wondering how you are going make it up to me”

“No worming out of it Vinyl, you have to tell me sometime.” Octavia glared as Vinyl embraced her.

“Fine. “ Vinyl sighed “How’s this, I tell you tomorrow night over dinner…that’s if you can convince me to let you tag along.”

“I suppose I can wait till tomorrow, and I might know of a way or two to, ‘convince’ you.” Octavia coyly suggested as she embraced the unicorn in return.

“Really, like?”

Octavia leaned over and whispered in her ear, Vinyl blushed and said with a grin “That’ll do it.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Octavia was relentlessly pacing outside their house, a carriage had pulled up not long ago, the pullers looked slightly bored but didn’t overly care about what was going on, they had been rented out for the night and didn’t mind not walking for a change.

“VINYL HURRY UP, WE’RE GOING TO BE LATE FOR OUR RESERVATION.” Octavia yelled from the doorway of their town house.

“Darling what’s all this yelling for, normally I wouldn‘t pry but I just put Sweetie Belle and her friends to sleep, and I would hate for them to wake up, it was hard enough to get them to stay in the bed” a voice asked from behind her.

Octavia turned around to identify the speaker; it was none other the Rarity, the local dressmaker and fashion expert. “Oh, hello Rarity, sorry about the noise, I know how energetic those three can be.” She shuddered at the memory of their latest crusade “I’m just waiting on Vinyl to finish getting ready in the bathroom” the last part of the sentence striking her as odd “wow never thought I’d ever say that” she thought to herself.

Rarity looked at her quizzically “Why what ever for?”

“Well you see, somehow Vinyl managed to get a table at Le saveurs de Prance and…” she was suddenly cut off by a squeal not dissimilar to the one she had given Vinyl last night.

“But that’s the single most prestigious restaurant in all of Canterlot, if I may ask, how did a mare of Vinyl’s….standing, ever get a table there of all places?”

“Well the manager owed her a favour or something; I’m not sure on the details.”

“Well my dear I’m sure you will have a wonderful time, but I have to wonder, is that what you’re wearing?

“What’s wrong with my dress?” Octavia asked looking down at her dress; it was a white evening dress and had cost her a substantial amount of bits.

“Oh nothing my dear it’s looks divine on you, it’s just not what I would have chosen, possibly something a bit more sparkly…with some diamonds” she mused “I just wish you would have come to me first for your dress, ah well nothing to be done about it now, but I digress you must tell me every thing when you come back”

“Of course Rarity”

“Octy, I’m coming out” yelled Vinyl from inside the house

“About time” Octavia replied “what took you so long in th….” her words (and 99% of her mental functions) abruptly coming to a halt as Vinyl walked out the door, somewhere behind her she could hear the sound of Rarity’s and the carriage ponies’ jaws hitting the ground along with her own. Vinyl was wearing a black figure hugging evening dress that had a slit along the left flank, not enough to revel but enough to get the imagination going, but the dress wasn’t the sole reason for the jaw dropping. Vinyl’s hair wasn’t blue or spiky; it was light brown with a red tinge and was flowing down her neck.

“Vinyl…your…hair?”

“Oh this, I’ll explain on the way, we had better get going if we want to make the reservation, and you may want to close your mouth Octy, your gona catch flies like that” said Vinyl with a smirk in her voice, her appearance obviously having the desired effect.
Octavia blinked, “Oh umm sure, let’s get going then, Goodnight Rarity, and sorry about the noise earlier…are you okay?”

“Oh I’m all right, it’s just…I didn’t expect Vinyl to…clean up so well” Rarity, through sheer force of will forced her gaze away from Vinyl, turned to walk away “I wont keep you from your engagement any longer, goodnight dears”

Vinyl climbed into the carriage “Hurry up Tavi we’re going to be late” As she climbed the foot step, the carriage ponies let out a breath they hadn’t known what they were holding and each thanked lucky stars they weren’t Pegasi, Octavia smiled and climbed into the carriage “Let’s go then”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Luna’s moon crested the sky, the carriage carrying the couple was approaching the last stretch of road before Canterlot. “Vinyl, it’s time you told me what’s up with your hair, is this hair colour real, why did you never tell me your hair wasn‘t actually blue?”

“Octavia have I ever told you how much I love the night?” Vinyl replied softly as she looked out the window.

“Vinyl stop being silly and answer the question before I hurt you” Octavia playfully threatened

Vinyl turned to face Octavia “Well you see Octy, the blue is actually a magic dye, water proof, doesn’t fade or any thing so it’s great for my gigs, as for not telling you, my hair reminds me of my past, I‘d prefer to forget it but I decided that tonight was special, so you deserved to know”

“And the spikes?” Octavia asked

“Spikes are cool” Vinyl replied with a smirk

“Well Vinyl I can say that for once you actually look respectable, and the long hair suits you, makes look pretty”

“Wouldn’t believe how many times I’ve heard that” Vinyl whispered quietly so herself that Octavia barely heard her “Don’t get use to it, I do have an image to maintain after all.” Vinyl teased in a louder voice

Octavia pondered what she meant, but quickly dismissed her line of thought as the carriage pulled up along side of their destination. As Octavia got out of the carriage she was able to take in the full effect of the building, the entrance was lit up in a soft green glow by magic crystals arranged in an arch with rose bushes lining the path. But what took her breath away was the amount of famous people that were entering the building, she had already seen Lord Harmonious the stallion in charge of the Royal Equestrian Choir, Lilly Bouquet proprietor of Flower and Rose the single largest chain of flower distributors in Equestria, even Prince Blueblood himself.

“Why hello there, I don’t believe I’ve seen you here before, but I recognized you as Octavia from the royal Equestrian orchestra and being a fan of music, I just had to introduce myself.” a well refined Manehatten accent addressed her from her left, startling her.

Octavia let out a squeak and turned to face the pony who addressed her, only to find her facing the pony every pony must know, a stallion that had through charisma and hard work created from dirt poor beginnings a rather impressive fortune. “Sir Fancy Pants” Octavia gasped “I…ah…I…” She stumbled in her head trying to think of something, anything to say, but her brain had turned to mush in the presence of Equestria’s trend setting legend.

Fancy Pants chuckled warmly “Please call me Fancy, I’m a fan of your works I must say they help me relax after a long day, and I have all your albums. In fact I would be honoured if you would be willing to give me and my darling wife Fleur” Fancy gestures to the tall, slender, unicorn mare next to him “a private concert some time, we would be more than happy to reimburse you for your time of course.”

Octavia was stunned, the Fancy Pants was a fan of her music, AND was requesting a private concert…WITH pay, her mind slowed to crawl trying to process the information.

“She would love to” Vinyl said as she walked up to a still frozen Octavia “wouldn’t you Octy” Octavia was still frozen, so Vinyl grabbed her head and nodded for her “She agrees”.

Fancy Pants laughed softly whilst his wife hid a small grin with her hoof at the antics taking place in front off them.

“I don’t believe we have meet before, you are?” inquired Fancy Pants, a chuckle in his voice.

“Why I’m Octy’s other, sexier, half” Vinyl replied, shortly receiving a hoof to the back of her head, “watch it Octy, your gona give me a concussion one of these days.”

“Vinyl if I didn’t need you to get inside I would give you far worse than a concussion” Octavia’s tone was getting angrier with each word.

“So is that all I am to you, a ticket to a fancy restaurant” Vinyl turned to Fancy, a mischievous grin on her face “she how she treats me, this is what I go through every day.”

“Vinyl not here of all places, control your self” giving Vinyl a glare that would give Fluttershy a run for her money, her anger at Vinyl snapping her out of her star struck daze, she turns to Fancy Pants “Thank you I would love to give you and your wife a private concert”.

Fancy Pants was having a small laughing fit, and Fleur was having trouble concealing a rather large grin. “Are you two okay?” asked Octavia, mortified that she may of inadvertently humiliated her self in front of the elite of the elite …Vinyl if this is your fault somehow, and I know it is, I am going to end you… she thought, thinking of the various ways to bring about her revenge, chief in her mind was finding the nearest sharp object and proceed to ventilate Vinyl‘s chest cavity.

Fancy Pants quickly regained his composure but it was Fleur who answered first “Don’t worry we’re quite alright, it’s just that you two are such a cute couple” her grin was still her face, but it was mostly under control “I am very pleased that you are agreeing to give us a concert, I would love to stay and chat more but we must make our reservations”

“Ahh, yes quite right my dear” Fancy turned to address Octavia “I am sorry but we must cut this conversation short, please stop by my humble abode in Canterlot some time tomorrow to arrange times, I’ll tell the butler to be expecting you”

“Thank you Fancy, I will be there around half past twelve” Octavia replied still slightly giddy at the prospect of performing for the elite of Canterlot’s elite “Come Vinyl we should go get seated as well”

As the two couples approached the entrance a Unicorn stallion dressed in a suit standing behind a wooden podium addressed them “May I help you?” he asked in cultured tones.

“Yes my wife and I have reservations for two under the name Fancy” Fancy Pants replied.

The doorpony quickly glanced through the list with practised ease “Ahh yes, please come inside your table is waiting for you”

Fancy turned to the couple behind him “Be seeing you inside Octavia my dear and….I don’t believe I ever got your name Miss?” he said.

Vinyl blushed slightly “Oh how rude of me, I’m Vincenza, but my friends call me Vinyl Scratch, I also go by the stage name DJ-pon3 but there is plenty of time to discuss my vocation at a later date” she replied in not her normal voice but in well refined tones, causing Octavia’s brain to stall for a third time that night.

Fancy Pants simply smiled and raised an eyebrow “hmm interesting” he thought to himself and wished the couple goodnight before entering the restaurant followed by Fleur. The doorpony, during the brief conversation, had quickly flicked through the list “Yes we have your table ready inside mam, enjoy your evening.” Vinyl turned to look at Octy and with a mischievous look in her eye “Come on Tavi you don’t want to miss our reservation do you.” Vinyl turned and entered the restaurant, Octavia followed behind operating on auto-pilot, a shell shocked expression on her face.

The couple sat down in their private booth over looking the main stage, as they sat down Octavia nearly exploded as her brain finished processing the information “What the hay was that, Vinyl” Octavia was sitting to the left of her mare friend and gave her a point blank death glare “I have been trying to get you to talk properly for ages, with no luck, mostly because of you, then you go and talk like you were raised in a noble house all your life back there…start talking, starting with the name, who is Vincenza?”

Vinyl gave her an I’m-innocent-please-don’t-kill-me look “Fine, fine, just tone down the interrogation, by Celestia have I ever told you how glad I am you don’t have laser eyes.” She got another death glare from Octavia “Okay, okay, you see the thing with the name and fancy talk actually stems from my music career funnily enough” Octavia gave her a sceptical look “let me explain, you see I used to be a regular DJ, I had contracts and gigs just like every other DJ, but I didn’t want to just do night clubs and the occasional party, I wanted to have my own albums, I wanted to do huge concerts like Big Day Out, but every time I approached a recording studio they always gave me shity contracts that had me bucked six ways to Sunday and every time I tried to haggle with them they refused to sign, mostly because the ‘haggling’ would deteriorate into a shouting match”

“Now that I can believe” Octavia said smiling at Vinyl.

“Yip, turns out they thought I was stupid because of they way I talked and looked, so I decided that if the were going to treat Vinyl scratch like an idiot, I would do something different the next signing.” Vinyl chuckled to herself “ You should have seen the producers face when I walked through the door, ha priceless, after I had negotiated a settlement favourable to both parties I left, contract signed and me on the way to being the next biggest to hit Equestria, since then I always use the fancy accent to talk to the suites.”

“So when did you learn to speak like that, and where did you get that name?” Octavia asked, intrigued at learning about her marefriend’s history, yet annoyed that her question hadn’t been answered.

Vinyl took a little time before she answered; she looked down at the table “Along time ago and in a far away place.” Vinyl replied in a quite voice, a faraway look on her face, as if she was remembering something from her past.

Octavia took notice of this and remembered what Vinyl had said in the carriage reminds me of my past, I‘d prefer to forget it “Vinyl its okay, if you don’t want to talk about it you don’t have to.” her face sifting to a caring expression, though she made a mental to press Vinyl about it some time later in the week when they got back to the house

The sound of Octavia’s voice snapped Vinyl out of her reflection, “Thanks Octy” at that moment Octavia’s stomach rumbled, Vinyl smiled and raised an eye brow “Maybe we should order some food, what do you think?”

“I think some food would be delightful.” Octavia’s stomached rumbled again “Maybe we should order soon before I start eating the table cloth?”

Vinyl smiled “What’s this, did our Octavia make a joke, a real attempt at humour.”

“Yes Vinyl I do possess some capacity for comedy.” Octavia rolled her eyes as she said this “Now shut up and order so we can eat.”

Vinyl signalled a waiter over “My partner and I are ready to order, we will have the seafood plater with the Albarino, and the salad with the Riesling, thank you.” the waiter took down their order on a small note pad he was levitating in front of himself.

“Will you require anything else for your dinning pleasure?”

“Yes after we have finished the main course please send your dessert waiter to our table” Vinyl nodded slightly with her head dismissing the waiter, the waiter bowed slightly and briskly walked to the kitchen. Vinyl and Octavia continued to make light conversation, talking about each others music, about the prices at sugar cube corner and about the recent shenanigans of six certain mares. Their plater arrived, it was a collection of different seaweeds and sea urchins arranged in decorative pattern, Octavia was hesitant about trying the odd looking flora, but tried a small mouthful at Vinyl’s insistence, it tasted amazing, a bit salty but in a nice way, the rest of the platter was quickly devoured after that. The salad arrived and quickly went the way of the platter.

“So have you enjoyed your evening so far Tavi?” Vinyl asked from across the table, Octavia had a content look on her face.

“That food was amazing, I can see why this place has such high reviews, thank you Vinyl, this evening has been perfect nothing could ruin it for me.”

Vinyl looked over top of Octavia’s shoulder “Here comes our waiter, hope you left room for dessert Octy.”

Octavia turned around to look at the waiter, they meet eyes and both froze in place, “No it can’t be him” she thought to herself but it was, same light green coat, same grey mane cut shorter than last time she had seen him, same skinny build, same hazel brown eyes, “Pebble Shifter” she squeaked in a tight voice.

Pebble was frozen in place, “No it can’t be her, why her, why now when my life is just starting to come back together” here in front of him was the mare that had ruined his life, made him lose everything, dark memories surfaced on seeing her, “Octavia, good to see you again, how have the last six years been to you, good by the looks of things, looks like you got your dreams...living it up all fancy, and what’s this with a mare no less, I‘ve been great, who knew that a prison cell could be so comfortable... and by the way Bubbles was very gentle. You know I had a lot of time to do some thinking in that place and you know what I thought about, I thought about everything, and I decided that the next time I saw you I would tell you exactly what I thought of you... so here it is.You are the worst pony ever to exist ever... and I hope you drop DEAD” Pebble’s voice had gotten more and more hostile as the rant went on ending in a shout, the entire restaurant came to a hushed stillness all eyes turned to their booth.

Vinyl was opening her mouth to give this stallion a piece of her mind, when Octavia beat her to the punch, “I’m sorry Pebble, but you brought it upon yourself…” she never got the chance to finish.

“SHUT UP, YOU MADE MY LIFE A LIVING HELL FOR FIVE YEARS, FIVE YEARS OF LIVING IN FEAR AND ABUSE, YOU ABANDONDED ME AND HAD ME THROWN INTO A PRISION, IT’S YOUR FAULT…ALL…YOUR…FAULT” Pebbles face was a mask of rage.

“WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS.” a small grey unicorn stallion with a neatly combed moustache had come out of the kitchens, his voice boomed across the dinning room “PEBBLE SHIFTER I WANT YOU OUT OF THAT UNIFORM AND OUT OF THIS ESTABLISHMENT NOW.”

Pebble turned to face the stallion “M-m-m-mister Vignoble, I-I-I-I….” he stammered.

“Get out of my Restaurant now and don’t ever come back.” Pebble turned and fled out the front door, Vignoble turned to face the guests, “I would like to extend my sincerest apologies to all of my esteemed guests, for having to witness that unfortunate display, the stallion no longer is in my employ.” the other guests turned back to their meals and company, and Vignoble turned to the two mares in the booth “Madams please accept my most humble apologies,” he looked at Octavia, then Vinyl, he recognized Vinyl instantly “Miss Vinyl, oh I am so sorry about, I have no idea what would make Pebble do such a thing, please allow me to wave the costs for the meal.”

Vinyl smiled “Thanks Viggy, how’s Precieux”

“She is well but goes by the stage name, Beauty Bass, as much as it pains me to say, it she very good, I can’t thank you enough for helping us out with her music, she has really put those tuition lessons to good work”

Octavia was by this point a little confused and very tired, the incident with Pebble had drained the good mood she had earlier, leaving her feeling washed out, “Excuse me for interrupting but how do you know Vinyl?” she asked.

“So this must be the mare you told me about Vinyl, I agree she is very cute though I do not think I wish to see her mad, not matter how much cuter she gets” Vignoble turned his gaze to Octavia “it’s a pleasure to finally meet you in person Octavia, well I know Vinyl because she has been the personal DJ tutor to my darling daughter Precieux, she has been amazing in helping my daughter with her craft, even going so far as to help her find her regular employment. She has been very good at bridging the gap between me and my daughter, why if not for her I would not have a tenth of the relationship I now share with my daughter.”

“Vinyl you never told me that you were giving tuition lessons” Octavia looked at Vinyl a raised eyebrow all the expression she needed.

Vinyl looked at Octavia, tilted her head to the side a puzzled look on her face “You never asked,” Vinyl turned to face Vignoble as Octavia facehoofed “Thank you for the meal but I think it is about time we should be leaving.” Vinyl got up, curtsied as Vignoble bowed in return, and with a little flick of her hair proceeded to leave the building.

Octavia quickly scrambled after her, as they approached their carriage Vinyl tilted her head in Octavia’s direction “So, who was he.” she asked in a quite voice that scared Octavia and sent shivers down her spine.

“It’s a long story Vinyl.” Octavia climbed into the carriage sitting down opposite Vinyl.

Vinyl looked out the window, “I have time.” she replied.

Octavia sighed “He was my coltfriend, we were inseparable, we thought we would get married and grow old together.”

Vinyl looked at her, “What changed?

Octavia looked at the floor in shame “I did, as my music career took off, I began to spend more and more time in Canterlot and less time back in Hoofington with him, you know the saying ‘you are who you surround yourself with‘,” Vinyl nodded “I began to act like the stuck up ponies I played for, eventually I broke up with him.”

Vinyl looked away “I understand Octavia, I truly do…so what happened next?”

Octavia took a deep breath, held it for a few seconds then calmly expelled it “Well, after I broke up with him he went of the rails, started staking me, when he broke into my old apartment in Canterlot I alerted the local guards and had a restraining notice filed against him. Every thing was fine for a time after that, I truly thought that he had given up, but I came home one night to find him standing in my lounge, a knife on the table, he said he loved me and if we couldn’t be together in life, we would be together in death, I managed to scream and make enough noise that the night janitor came running, he knocked out Pebble saving my life. After the courts found him guilty of attempted murder he was sent to prison for eight years, five on good behaviour, on the grounds that he would be given psychiatric help upon his release.” Octavia looked at Vinyl, mentally begging her to look at her.

Vinyl looked at Octavia, her ruby red eyes meeting Octavia’s purple one’s “I understand Octy, you did what you had to do, it’s not your fault he went off the rails, someponies just can’t let go.” Octavia smiled and they leaned across embrace each other content to hold each other, eventually they broke the hug, Octavia swapped sides sitting on the same side as Vinyl, and she snuggled into Vinyls arms, whilst Vinyl looked out the window and thought “Per favore per favore, fatemelo tenerla per un po piu a lungo, per favore Octy non odiarmi per quello che sono.”

A/N
Thanks for reading, for those of you who don’t know, the last bit is in Italian (Istallion) the translation (this was translated to Italian so those of you who read Italian, it probably reads weird) is please please let me keep her a while longer, please Octy don’t hate me for what I am, this will make sense later on and trust me, none of you are going to see it coming….
Also Vignoble is apparently french for vineyard