• Published 26th Oct 2012
  • 8,887 Views, 1,089 Comments

Becoming Fluttershy - Hope



A philosophical and comedic story of becoming one with my inner pony.

  • ...
60
 1,089
 8,887

PreviousChapters Next
Two years later, Fluttershy

"So are you finally going to ask her out?" Rainbow asked, annoyed, as she carefully cut her hayburger in half and added hot sauce to one half.

Her eating habits had definitely gotten more complex and adventurous since she'd started visiting Earth every week, and I couldn't help but be a little amused by the whole ritualistic process. But she'd asked a question, and I didn't want to annoy her.

"Ask who out?" I asked obliviously.

She put the hot sauce down and stared at me, leaning forward a little.

"Shy. Between ordering and getting our food, you've been staring at AJ the whole time. Sure, maybe you're just really jealous of her Sister Day lunch with Bloom, but I kinda doubt it!"

I felt my cheeks heat up as I snuck another glance at AJ, chuckling at something that Apple Bloom had said.

"Just because I'm... Looking at her doesn't mean I want to date her," I objected.

"And just because I'm a walking pride flag doesn't mean I'm gay," she retorted. "But oh boy howdy I seem to only like guys who self identify as twinks, and girls who could choke me out. So come on, own up to it."

I reached over to shove her shoulder a little, cheeks crimson red by now.

"Stooop," i whined. "I've already promised Pinkie a date!"

"Oh no," Rainbow groaned. "Pinkie, who probably thinks you're just lonely and need a friend? Please please don't make me reveal Pinkie's sexuality to you. I was having such a good day."

I blinked several times, confused until the pieces clicked together.

"Pinkie is straight?" I finally asked.

"As a lollipop stick, as she said," Rainbow said with a grimace. "Last week she spent an hour telling me about how every time she sees Cheese Sandwich, she gets the 'tummy firecrackers' or something. It was nauseatingly cute and also hypnotically heterosexual."

"I don't understand," I admitted, confused and trying to focus on my own untouched hayburger.

"She wants you to be happy, Shy," Rainbow says a bit more gently, scooting her chair closer. "So she offered a date as like... A friend-date thing. I know Erica was a shipper, don't let her rub off on you."

I could remember Erica's obsession with stories, the way her mind spun everyone into characters, all the possibilities of how they could get along and be close spun out like unspun cloth.

Taking out my phone, I sent a text to Pinkie.

[Hey Pinkie, is it okay if I'm interested in AJ romantically? We can still be friends?]

The reply came back almost instantly.

[Duh! I'm straight as a lollipop stick, like Rainbow said! Shoot your shot, shy Shy! Still on for movie and dinner on Thursday?]

I relaxed. My friends had my back. I texted her back saying yes, and put my phone away, as Rainbow Dash looked very smug.

"Yeah?" She asked me as I ate my hayburger.

"It's fine..." I mumbled.

"Damn right," she nodded firmly. "Now, next chance you get her alone, you ask AJ out, no excuses!"

I nodded, my stomach already turning from nerves, as I snuck another glance at the orange farm pony, as she left with Apple Bloom by her side.

PreviousChapters Next