• Published 26th Oct 2012
  • 8,897 Views, 1,089 Comments

Becoming Fluttershy - Hope



A philosophical and comedic story of becoming one with my inner pony.

  • ...
60
 1,089
 8,897

PreviousChapters Next
chapter 45. Shining nights

I roll in my sleep, unable to repress the nightmare I know is coming.

::What's disturbing you, Julien? Another dream? Not eager to chat?:: Shining Armor's quiet thoughts in my, apologies, OUR head go unnoticed as the night overtakes me.

I awaken to the norm of the dark recesses of my mind, a sight that has become well known to me the last few days as a surrogate pony. My mental form is blurred, indistinct as that that I remember. A grey stallion with no identifying features. Nopony. Shining Armor stands next to me , weathering the wasteland winds and pains of my dreaming mind. His presence is the only indicator of a lucid dream, but I am familiar with the one plaguing us this night.

His tone is upbeat, if dour due to his wife's comment earlier that evening.

"Do you really think Cadance is angry with me?" He sounds worried, poor thing.

"I'm sure it was just Linda's nerves, Shining. I mean we were gawking at her quite a bit.. but that’s a discussion for later."

"What's the matter, Julien? It looks drab but normal in here." He shudders as a passing dream of longing lifts his mane and chills his spine.

The 'ground' shudders and shifts to a foggy street in a warm night, the grey pavement only lit by the dim street lamps. Luna's masterpiece above twinkles brightly as her avatar lights the wisps moved only by phantom breezes. All around is the smell of seawater and sand, palm trees and early rain.

Shining looks around, the Florida neighborhood street familiar to him.

"I know this one! It’s those nights spent walking your uncle’s dog, isn't it? These foggy nights remind me of those first dates as a corporal with Cadence." He smiles in memory. My sad eyes lock onto his.

"This is not a happy memory, Shining." I look over at a bend in the road, whereupon two human teens turn the corner, laughing and taking joy in each others presence. I smile at the the pair. One is myself, eight years younger and quite a bit more hope lingering in his eyes.

The other.. Sharon. My goddess, my muse, my life and soul.

Shining stares at them. "Thats you? I haven't seen this before."

"I haven't shown you Shining, and there's a reason this is a nightmare." I mutter, glaring at a black road ahead of the couple. They are no longer distant from us, and we can hear their conversation well.

".......want to sit on the shore, or watch the moon from my room?" She asks the boy.

"Anywhere that you are is fine, you know that, silly!" He swings their clasped hands like a pendulum, making her inadvertently skip.

"Ooh! Well aren't we romantic tonight?" She worms in under his arm to plant a kiss on his cheek, coloring his face rosey.

Shining glances at me, questions rising in his eyes. "Who is she? A friend or.." He cocks his head at me, raising an eyebrow.

"She was my everything, Shining. My soulmate, at least thats what I can fool myself into thinking. I never told her how much I really cared.." My voice trails off as the couple keep getting closer to the dark road I had been glaring at.

"What happened? You look happy. She didnt break up with you, did she?" I only cringe and wait for the inevitable.

"Watch, Shining. Know why you must never let evil befall her." He looks confused and watches the two expectantly.

Sharon twirls ahead of the past Julien stretching her arms out as she crosses the street. "Chase me! Come on slow..." her voice is drowned out by the blare of a horn and a flash of white. The past Julien's scream is joined by Shining's gasp as a large black SUV tears around the corner, swerving madly all over the road. The whites in his eyes are easy to see from our distance as he is frozen in place, and she glances back to meet his gaze one last time as it breaks her, her fragile form disappearing underneath it for what seems like forever. The SUV pulls to a stop a short distance away, as my past self runs to my love's crumpled and bloody form and to take her into my arms.

Her head is a mess of blood and bone, her blood quickly staining the shirt that I wore.

"OHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGOD.." He yells, clutching her to his breast. Her eyes still seem so bright as she spasms in my grasp.

Her lips part and she utters the last words I hear from her. "Be.. a stro.. prot.."

As the last breaths escape her I cling to her more and stare blankly at her. "Be what!? Be a strong what!!? Sharon! Shhhharon! SSSSSSSSHHHHAAAROOOOON!"

The driver of the murderous vehicle stumbles out, waving what I perceive as a brown glass bottle. Shining's intake of breath is almost a hiss. "That foul brew.."

The driver stumbles over, trailing a long party streamer. "Oh shit, that looks bad dude... You should.. urrrggghh.. Go to a hospital her somethin, yourggghh.. youuur blleedin everywhere.." With shock surging through his whole body, my past self can only stare as the man drunkenly flops back into his vehicle and drives away, leaving him to sob over her.

I turn away from the memory, waving a hoof as it recedes into the nothingness, leaving only the wasteland of rocks and memories.

"Thats why they're important to me, Shining. Erica, Reid, Fluttershy, Pinkie, Cadence, Rarity, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Twili.." I begin to shake with barely contained rage, my face turning scarlet.

"I won’t.. ever let any cruel sons of bitches.. hurt someone I care about again.. They’re all I have left..." I release my withheld breath, looking up as Shining wraps a comforting foreleg around me.

"It won’t. We’ll be.. A strong protector for them, ok?"

I smile weakly and nod. "Thanks Shining. I guess.. I guess I’m ready. We'll protect all of them. Together."

He smiles back. "There we are! A strong soldier in the end. Now what was that about us gawking at our wife's flank?"

I chuckle, and let the bliss of sleep overcome me.

Author's Note:

This chapter was written entirely by Julien, making all the more touching and meaningful.

PreviousChapters Next