• Published 26th Oct 2012
  • 8,897 Views, 1,089 Comments

Becoming Fluttershy - Hope



A philosophical and comedic story of becoming one with my inner pony.

  • ...
60
 1,089
 8,897

PreviousChapters Next
chapter 34. Mommy issues

"What's wrong?" I ask Pinkie, frowning and running through all the potential disasters that could have befallen the changeling queen. "Is she okay?"

The group came back to the table, and I only get a silent worried look from the pink pony before everyone is seated and starts to eat.

Pinkie gets all of our attention and looks around the table solemnly. "Ladies and gents, Discord attempted to recruit Chrysalis."

My first thought is that Discord is actually getting personally involved now, that can’t bode well for our little group. We do not have the elements yet, and I have to wonder how much he has already interfered with our journey.

Ian catches onto the subtleties of the declaration first. "Attempted?"

"Well, from the message I think she refused, but he decided to do it while she was standing in a room full of little girls." Pinkie seems to understand how painful that would be to the changeling, and looks down to her iPad. "And force her to demorph there too... She's putting on a brave face but I'm going to send her some assurances anyway."

She kept typing on her tablet device. "Point is, Discord is not playing nice."

At this point, I just look down to my food as I eat, pondering this new development and what it will mean for us all.

I get the feeling things are a bit over my head, but I notice that Julien is keeping an eye on the doors and others in the buffet with the intensity of a guard. I suppose he is getting to the point where he is becoming as much a guard as a fast food worker. Though I am sure he would enjoy that job more anyway.

"Hey, you could put up a public announcement from us that Chrissy is on the side of good..." I suggest with a smile.

"I don't know how to do that." Pinkie tells me as she sends off another message. "I never really used facebook before all this."

Cadence pulls her phone out of her bag with a blue glow surrounding it. "I'll do it."

"Hey whoa, you got magic down!" Pinkie comments.

"Telekinesis. It's a basic skill." She says, but I can see a bit of pride on her face. Shining nods approvingly to Cadence as well.

Pinkie smiles, still impressed by the control Cadence had developed. "Mmhmm."

I was going to say something about their luck in having magic, but it feels like I would be seen as being incredibly racist. Thinking over it, unicorns have quite an advantage, especially from my mostly ground based point of view.

"Hey Cadence, can you manipulate clouds?" I ask, looking up and getting a few looks verging on warning glares. "Oh! I'm sorry, Linda, I didn't mean to...."

Linda sighs, hey eyes on her plate as she sets down her phone. “No, I... I should probably get used to it...” She says, being far more generous to me than I really deserve after that comment.

"I... well, actually, I've been poking around my head and I can... feel Cadance, but there's this... bubble. I can't understand her, she's not talking to me, or she is but the connection's all fuzzy. So I don't know." She says with a tone of defeat.

"Makes sense," Harold points out. "You were a lawyer before, and she was a princess... or something. Both of you had to isolate yourself from situations pretty regularly."

"So what you're saying is that there are two bubbles," Pinkie says with a smile. Oh joy, another puzzle for her to solve I suppose. "The mind is a complicated realm indeed. So complicated in fact that I could spend all day speaking about its complexity and the little doohickies in the corners."

Ginny groans and rolls her eyes. "Oh, not philosophy again, it's absolute bullsh--"

"There are children watching us," Pinkie says.

"But I really didn't mean to imply...." I start, trying to patch up the faux pas I have stumbled into.

"She gets it, 'Shy." Shining says. "Don't freak out, it'll only make things worse."

I nod meekly and kept eating.

"So, if Cadence is not communicating with you, she might be worried for your mental safety, or scared. Let us know if we can do anything to help you." Shining says, diplomatically phrasing his statement to apply to both Linda and Cadence.

"Thanks..." Linda shrugs. "We can hear each other, but it's not anything defined. Like, we're talking from across the room." She gestures a hoof at the ceiling. "I think we just... need to concentrate."

"Lucid dreaming," Pinkie says helpfully. "Until you're totally internalized the initial contact would be difficult. Be ready for a bad case of pillowmouth though."

For a moment, the table is quiet. I have enough time to zone out a little as I eat.

I wonder where Angel is, if he is doing okay. He has a lot of responsibility when I am away, though he has never complained about it before. I wonder about my roommates back in Reno, how they have been functioning without me to give them rides and buy them food. In the end there isn’t a whole lot I can do about any of that, just fix this. How exactly I was supposed to fix a dimensional breach was well beyond me, but the Elements had done amazing things before, like giving Celestia back her sister. I wonder how Luna is doing. I will have to ask Markus over Facebook sometime.

Pinkie breaks the silence, naturally. I think she is afraid of things being quiet for longer than a few minutes. "So, what do you think will happen in the season 3 premiere?"

"Well, nothing big was going on before we left, but from the previews that came out, some empire? I wonder if our reality isn't connected or matching up with the written show anymore." I ponder as I ate a few bites of corn bread.

"What I know is that the Evil King Sombra made the crystal empire disappear for an eon and Cadance is supposedly the crystal princess." Pinkie lists.

"Oh great," Linda says miserably. "More pressure."

"So my theory," Pinkie continues as though uninterrupted, "is that the crystal ponies are robots. Or the magitech equivalent. They gained intelligence and self awareness, but their maker King Sombra was all 'Oh no, you will obey me!' So then Luna and Celestia go medieval on his flank, but he grabs the robot's power source and runs. Fast forward to now, and we get Sombra's descendent--a certain pretty pink princess--stumbling across the power source. But in order to acclimatize the crystal ponies to the modern world, Twilight and crew have to host a sort of... fair or something that they prepare before the power source is plugged in."

"You just want there to be robot ponies," Ian says, making a very valid point.

"Robot ponies are awesome." Pinkie countered, with a slightly less valid point.

"I think we would know if Cadence was a magical construct, er.... Robot pony." Shining says with a raised eyebrow. "I'd know, at least."

I had, shamefully, known less about the premier than they had already pointed out, so I stay quiet. Assumably the premier would air regardless, and it would be very very odd to see myself on screen.

“Nonono, Cadence is completely organic. She’s just a descendant of Sombra, who made the robot ponies.” Pinkie continues.

Linda coughs and eyes Pinkie warily. “I’m not comfortable talking about this.”

“Fair enough," Pinkie says. "Let's talk about something that makes somepony else uncomfortable. Tomorrow's Halloween, Erishy, will you be participating in the festivities?"

I open my mouth, assuming by my own nature that I would say no. But at some level I rebel against the idea that my behavior had to be so rigid.

"Yes." I say, to my own surprise as much as anyone else. "I'll need some hair dye, a trip to hot topic, and some magical assistance." I continue, coming up with an idea on the spot.

"A... And I'll want someone to stay close to so someone doesn't try to ponynap me." I finish, looking down at my mostly empty plate.

"It was assumed we would be doing things as a group, though I never was one for handing out or going for treats, so I will probably just tag along." Shining says.

"Why submit to mass market costumes?" Jacqueline says eagerly. "I have hair dye and I've been known to make four outfits in less than two hours."

"Truefax," Linda says supportively. "I timed her, and the costumes were very high-caliber."

"We could confer tonight," Jackie continues. "I already got your measurements from our first meeting."

Pinkie looked a bit confused. "I didn't see any rulers or tape measures--"

"Oh, no nono. I'm a... hmm. Tactile measure? I put my hands to the person, it helps me predict how their clothes would move." She explains.

"I was thinking a gothic 'shy? Sort of like the fanbase imagined emoshy, but a bit more spunk." I say, pleased that the cosplayers were so eager to help me out on my first ever participation in the holiday.

"Gothic, gothic..." The cosplayer breaks into a wide smile. "Lace fairy!"

Ginny sighs. "Lace fairy? Really?"

Jackie smiles happily, certainly in her element. "If I combine a green base with black vines... layer some frills... makeup, hmm, how would makeup work with fur--"

"Hide," Pinkie corrects her. "Fur has multiple layers. A hide just has one."

"Powder instead of liquid." I suggest. "Maybe a watered down hair dye?" I am really getting excited at the idea of being done up in green and black gothic for Halloween, whether out of a newfound sense of ego or my newly discovered fame, the prospect of being disliked or shunned seems more remote now.

Shining just chuckles and rolls his eyes.

Pinkie immediately notices his dismissive attitude and homes in on him like a party cannon on a drab house. "Oh, we need to talk about your costume too! After all, if we're all going to do this--"

"You're going to make us do a couple theme aren't you," Linda interrupts.

"Oh come on, at least let me work up to the punchline!"

"Hmmm. How bout no?" Linda proposes.

"If you make me do a costume, it has to be functional. I won't be wearing binding clothes or fake weapons. Now if you get your hooves on an actual shortsword...." Shining says with a grin.

Jacqueline pauses, examining him with a careful eye. Her eyes glitter as a wide smile begins to grow on her face.

Linde snorts. "Oh come off it, Jackie, the only sword you have on hand is the one that Harold used--" She suddenly stops, mid eye-roll, as she remembers something. "Oh no."

"But it's so perfect, darling!"

"No no no. No. We are not doing that. No."

"And you would look elegant, refined...."

"You know how I feel about that! Okay? No!"

"You sure do say no a lot," Pinkie snarkily interjects. "Does it come from being a lawyer?"

"What?"

"What are you two talking about?" Ian asks.

"Well, I've been in the costuming business for a lot longer than ponies, you see, and Harold agreed to model this absolutely--"

"I was Aragorn." Harold explains.

I am beyond lost, but Julien seems to get it. Linda just hides behind her forehooves.

Pinkie gave them a malicious smile. "Perfect. Perfection incarnate."

"So.... Linda would be Arwen? I... Don't particularly hate this idea. Though the mixing of memories at this point is a bit disconcerting." Shining says with a mix between a smile and a frown.

"I... Am more knowledgeable about D&D than Lord of the rings." I admit with a chuckle as I finish off my last bits of food and ponder if my life will ever be sane enough to play a session again.

"But I know Aragorn would be a cool outfit, although rushed to put it on a pony." I finally say.

"I hate being pretty," Linda practically sobs. "I'm not a pretty girl. I'm a practical girl."

"You're a very pretty pony," Pinkie says, twisting the metaphorical dagger.

I suppose Linda decided to fight back, since she smiles back. "And what about you, Reid? What are you going to drape your pink body in?"

"Low blow, missy, low blow."

"Question stands."

Pinkie ponders the question. "Hmmm. Something ridiculous yet funny... Preferably simple... I could just plunk on sunglasses and go as Gangsta Pinkie."

I smile a bit more than I should have at the opportunity to cause a friend to suffer, and I put forward the suggestion of doom.

"You should go as the joker." I say eagerly.

"Mane under a slicked back wig, fake scars. And you could do the jacket too!"

"Too close," Pinkie says, her dark look making me want to go on the frantic apologizing spree again. "Part of being an actor is knowing exactly how closely you can skirt the line between acting and being. That's too close. If I dressed up as the Joker, I would BECOME the Joker. He's too close."

I droop my head. "Sorry...."

Pinkie sighs. "No it was a good idea for a normal... person..."

"Retro pinkie. Pink afro and parachute pants." Shining says as he sips some soda through a straw.

Pinkie shrugs, obviously unenthused. "Yeah, I can't style the mane. And Retro's funny, but not in the All Hallow's Eve sort of style..."

“What about elvis? Or you could do the dragon fighting costume from that time you got swatted around wearing a box and flippers.” I propose hopefully, trying to redeem myself.

“Still don’t have hammerspace.”

Jackie pipes up; “I could do that dragon thing, though.”

“Nah, too unoriginal.... POOKA! I could go as a Pooka!” Pinkie’s eyes light up as she says ‘Pooka’ as though it was the most awesome thing ever.

“How about dressing up as birdo? He and or she was pink.” I suggest, thinking a video game theme might do the trick.

“Too obscure, but a vidgame could be a decent concept. Hm. Oh no wait... MIDNA.”

Again I am lost. Despite being in computer repair for 5 years, I have never been a video game junkie, only playing a few games in between my life falling apart.

“Oh my.... That will be difficult, but I suppose if I pull an all nighter I could get all four of you your costumes.” Jackie says, determined.

“You pull all nighters often?” Ian asks.

Jackie nodded, leaving quite a bit unsaid but confirming she had likely spent a large portion of her nights awake, working on random stuff. “Yes.”

“Don’t mess yourself up for the sake of a little fun. We are in the middle of a worldwide crisis as well.” Shining points out, the guard in him keeping an eye on the prize.

“But... the goth costume, I could help with if that’d make it easier.” I say, excitedly tapping my forehooves together at the idea of getting to spend time sewing and creating something.

“How did you learn sewing anyway?” Ginny asks.

Suddenly I regret speaking up at all, since I am suddenly the center of attention. “Me?” I squeak.

“You.”

“Which you? You you or you you?” Pinkie asks.

“You you.” Ginny clarifies unnecessarily.

“Ah, that you. I’ve always wondered about that too.” Pinkie says, turning her gaze on me as well.

I take a steadying breath and keep my eye on the back of a distant chair. “Well... My mom wanted a girly girl, and tried to teach me to sew, that was Erica. As ‘Shy, I um... I used to sew little things to sell when I lived at the orphanage to have extra money.”

“Wait, you lived in an orphanage? I thought that Lieutenant Barricade was your mother!” Pinkie says in shock.

“....no, sorry, Reid thought that. Pinkie didn’t think anything.” She corrects herself.

“Yeah... There was a reason why falling from a cloud and finding a home on the ground didn’t trigger a country wide search for me. I wasn’t exactly missed.” Listening to the words come out of my mouth, that was a lot more bitter than I meant for it to be, I think as I close my eyes.

The whole group was soon hugging me, and for a moment, I really feel better. If I can get friends like this, if I can survive and thrive on my own, the pain of the past might fade someday.

I notice as I open my eyes and smile in the warm group hug, that people all around the restaurant have actual cameras as well as phones and I think I saw an HD video camera in one corner. Naturally we are the focus of attention.

“I don’t like being a celebrity. Anypony else wanna go to sleep?” I say, just wanting to leave.

“No.” Pinkie says simply.

Jackie releases the hug and looks to her watch. “I need to stay up all night.”

“No offense to Cadance, but I want to postpone our inevitable dream meeting.” Linda says.

Ginny just shrugs. “To be honest, I’m not tired at all.”

“I was in the marching band, this isn’t even exhausting.” Ian comments.

“I actually saw an interesting computer store on the way here.” Harold looks towards the exit, trying to spot it.

So I am the only antisocial one, not surprising. Though I suppose with my friends I could survive the public for a while longer.

“Or go back and sew and stuff... I just wanna get out of the public spotlight for a bit.” I say.

The only detractor is the computer store visit before heading to the hotel, and we will have to go that way anyway. After the meal is paid for, we make our way into the mall.

I hate malls.

PreviousChapters Next