• Published 29th Oct 2012
  • 3,734 Views, 221 Comments

Resistance: Remain Human - Hurgusburgus



A group of misfit Chimera are transported to Equestria after the Battle of London. What do? Attack the royalty, that's what. To be honest, she started it.

  • ...
24
 221
 3,734

Chapter 5

Oh, that was the last bleedin’ straw! Who was I dealing with here, a bunch of retards? Angrily, I stood up, snatching my Bullseye. Jen rolled behind a rock, bringing her Auger to bear. Ted unfolded his Reapers. Fred hefted his cannon, albeit unwillingly. The series of sharp click-clacks told me that the Yanks had readied their Folsoms and sole Fareye. I looked around-there! I could see dozens of ponies around the trees, the firelight from our bonfire reflecting off their weapons and armour. I heard the creak of bowstrings as arrows were nocked, the soft clatter of spears as they were readied. Once again, white and mighty took a step forwards.
“I ask you again to surrender peacefully.” I snarled at her.
“And I give you your last bleedin’ chance to sod off!” Fred grunted quietly, nodding slowly.
“I’m not going to enjoy this, but I will do what I must.” Jen joined in.
“You’re not going to lock us up. Just you try. Just you bloody try.” Ted seemed like he was fighting off a seizure. The Yank, Alice, scowled at the ponies.
“Ah’m sticking with these guys, if ya don’t mind. An’ Ah’d advise y’all to listen to James. Y’better haul ass back to your damn homes while you’re still breathin’.” The red-haired Texan finished her small speech, slipping a grenade up the Folsom’s grenade launcher, eyeing her opponents hatefully. The rest of her squad agreed, yelling ‘hoo-ah!’

Celestia observed the defiant group before sighing, her heart heavy with disappointment. These headstrong beings would not submit, nor had she expected them to. But it had been worth a try.
“Commander. Ready your troops.”
“Yes, my princess!” The tension was almost palpable. Soon, one side would open fire. And the confrontation would be very, very bloody.

“Alice. Take your guys in cover. You’ll be safe from the arrows there.”
“What about you?”
“Don’t worry. We heal easily.” The woman forced a ghost of a smile, but I could see she was tense. Worried.
“Oh, right. Silly me. Y’heard him, fellas. Best we not stay in the clear when the arrows start flyin’.” A muttering of acknowledgements as the Americans hid behind rocks and logs. I reached slowly to my waist, unhitching a Backlash. Quick as a lightning, I press the activation stud and throw the grenade down at my feet. A split-second later, the glowing sphere of light enveloped our group. A moment later, a flurry of arrows hit the sphere, bouncing back to their owners. I could see a couple of ponies receive the arrows in their legs. Others were saved by their armour. The air was pierced by their pained cries.
“CHAAAAAAARGE!” One of the ponies shouted, coming in contact with the sphere moments later. He reared away immediately, braying in pain as smoke curled from his burned foreleg. He howled, limping away, as his comrades watched in horror.

Backlash grenade. A nasty little piece of work.

Of course, spears, arrows, some sort of energy blasts start flying our way, to no effect, of course. The Yanks just keep mocking the ponies, showing their asses to the infuriated warriors, as the missiles fly back to their owners, often wounding them. Unfortunately, the Backlash only lasts a minute. Fortunately, Jen had been fiddling with our equipment since day one. The energy sphere now lasted half a minute longer. Even more fortunately, I had another two Backlashes. As the one in the dirt fizzles out, I heft another one.
“I have two more! Still think it’s a good idea to keep bothering us?” White and mighty is livid, of course. I ponder whether I could stick an Air Fuel grenade to her face. Perhaps she’d like to have her first and last acupuncture? Oh, well. I prepare to throw the Air Fuel grenade when we get an uninvited guest. I hear Fred bellow.
“Hydra!”
A hydra? One of those mythological things? The one that grows its heads back, no matter how many times you cut them off?

Just then, said mythological beast shows up, swallowing a couple of the ponies whole.

I SAY AGAIN.

“BOLLOCKS!” I howled exasperatedly, tossing the incendiary grenade at the beast. It manages to adhere to its back, letting a green cloud of volatile gas out. It bursts in a bright flame moments later. The beast flails about, the smell of burnt flesh hanging thickly in the air. Snaggletooth is already on the job, chewing away at one of the hydra’s neck.

Smart beastie. If you cannot behead it, bleed it dry. Ted leaps forward, joining the brave Leaper. I do too, moments later. Together, we cling to the thrashing beast’s necks.
“James! Try going for the spine!” Ted shouts to me. That’s not a bad idea, actually. I tear at the flesh, ripping muscle and sinew out, soon reaching the long chain of bones. I grab it and rip it out. Immediately, I feel the neck twitch violently, going limp. I leapt across to the next head, noting that Snag had gouged its eyes out. Smart of him.

Celestia watched silently, a sort of morbid fascination taking hold of her. The guardsponies were staring, too.
“Good heavens… They’re crazy. They’re totally nuts but they’re killing it either way!” Other muttered in agreement.

Ted crushed the last spine. The bloodied hydra collapsed slowly. Jen and the Americans were cheering.

Hang on. Didn’t this thing swallow someone? Oh, right. It did.
“Fred! I need a knife! Biggest one you have!”
“Right-o, James!” He brought over a two-handed sword, which I used to carve the hydra’s stomach open. Blood, bile, and coughing ponies spilled out. They shivered on the ground, gagging and wheezing. They might have nightmares for some time, but they’d be fine. Fred returned with some fresh water, handing it to the ponies. Though suspicious, they drank it all the same.

Some distance off, Celestia watched, breathless, as the towering being helped her ponies up. She could literally feel history being made here.

“You sure you’re fine?”
“Y-yes, it’ll be okay.” The shivering mare stuttered.
“You don’t look like it. Would you li-Oh.” Fred stood up, wary, as white and mighty approached us again, stopping in front of me.
“James, could we please talk now?” There is a note of pleading in her soft voice, but I’m not really all that assured by it.
“Why?”
“Even though you are dangerous and violent, as you said yourself, you are not uncaring. You saved my ponies, even though you had no obligation to do so. I acted too rashly when you arrived in Ponyville. I should not have judged you solely by your looks. For that, I am sorry. Let there be peace and understanding between us.” She extended a leg, apparently wishing to give me a handshake. I oblige, even though the feral me isn’t being calm. I see the relief in the mare’s eyes as I grasp her hoof.
“Deal.”
“I don’t think I ever told you my name. I am Princess Celestia.” Fred, of course, being the affable gentlem-er, Chimera he is, does an exaggerated bow. I can tell Celestia’s amused by his display.
“I am Fred. To tell the truth, I would not have enjoyed partaking in this bloodbath.” He waves the rest of our group down, indicating that they should not worry anymore.
“Also, could you bring your wounded here? I believe I can help them with their injuries.” He held up a pair of sym-bac vials.

Half an hour later, the last of the wounded had been healed. Celestia could only shake her head in wonder, though she still felt wary, as did her troops. The ponies milled around the bonfire, muttering quietly, casting nervous glances at the Chimera, who were trying to fill the alicorn in on what had befallen them. Frankly, she was utterly horrified by their tale, hearing the stories of Chimeran violence and their campaign of genocide.

“I expected we’d die when the London Tower went up. Instead, we wake up here. Next thing I know, we’re running for our lives from a vengeful princess.” Jen glared at me sharply.
“But one thing I must know. Why did you hunt the wildlife?”
“I told you. Food. I thought we could only subsist on meat. But turns out we can eat fruit and suchlike, too.” Celestia sighed relievedly.
“That is good news.” I grunt slightly.
“You don’t have to fear anything from us. Sure, Snaggletooth might jump in someone’s face now and then, but we’re not going to eat anyone. If I did, Jen would skin me alive.” Said Steelhead glared at me again, but was interrupted by Fred as the amiable Titan waddled past her, sharing out some bread and biscuits out to the ponies, along with peppermint tea in wooden cups he’d crafted in his free time. He certainly has a lot of it. He gave one cup to Celestia, who smiled, thanking him.

Celestia left with her troops about an hour later, having had a conversation with everyone in the group. Though she did not know how things would turn out in the long run, she did know one thing.

She had certainly misjudged James and his friends.

Twilight gaped in disbelief as Celestia retold the skirmish, even forgetting to take notes this time.
“Princess, if they’re not here to threaten us, why did they stay in the forest?”
“While they have assured me they do not intend to harm us, we are still some time away from fully trusting each other. I would not wish to try and force them to do something that they do not want. That is not a way to ear somepony’s trust.” Twilight sighed.
“I guess. I just hope this isn’t going to bite us in the flank sometime later.” Celestia smiled reassuringly at her student.
“Have no fear, Twilight Sparkle.” Applejack smiled subtly, a plan hatched in her mind already. A way to repay James for saving her little sister.

“Well, James, I think we might get some peace now.” Jen chuckled softly, watching Fred whistle as said Titan was busily sifting through his bag.
“Hear, hear.” Alice joined in, scratching her head, stifling a yawn, but there was no fooling Fred.
“If you’re getting sleepy, you should go to bed, Alice.”
“Naw, naw, Ah’m fine.”
“…” Fred stared at her, clearly not buying it.
“Agh, fine. G’night, y’all.” She mumbled, ambling inside the cave. I climbed in my tree, once more, though I knew that tonight would be quiet.

How did I know that, I hear you ask?

Just a hunch.

But a dead hydra serves as a good warning sign, too.