• Published 29th Oct 2012
  • 3,730 Views, 221 Comments

Resistance: Remain Human - Hurgusburgus



A group of misfit Chimera are transported to Equestria after the Battle of London. What do? Attack the royalty, that's what. To be honest, she started it.

  • ...
24
 221
 3,730

Chapter 2

The first thing I heard was sniffing.

Shoo. Whatever you are.
I mumbled drowsily. Hell’s blazes, I was tired. I heard muffled voices. Who was that?

Jen?

I forced my eyes open, all six of them. All I saw was a bunch of colourful blobs. Why was my vision so blurry? After a few moments, some of my hearing returned and I heard a worried voice.
“What is that thing?”
Now I’m sure that’s not Jen. Voice too soft. My muscles scream in protest as I try to stand up.
“Watch out, Twilight, it’s standing up!”
Who was Twilight? Ow, my head. My poor, poor head. It felt like one of my fangs was a bit loose in its socket. Never mind. It’ll grow back in.

As my sense of balance returned, my eyes cleared as well. First thing I saw was ponies.

Ponies. Colourful ponies.

Was this hell?

I shook my head, feeling my wits return. I had to find the others. Then I remembered that I wasn’t alone here. The ponies stared at me fearfully. I knew I was quite a sight. Chimera were meant to be intimidating.
We kept staring at each other, before one of them squeaked fearfully.
“H-hello?”

They could speak. What sort of fresh hell was this?
I paused for a moment before answering.
“Uh… Hey.” God, that was even lamer when we met Jen. The moment of awkward silence kept lasting, just as an all-too familiar screech reached my ears.
“…skreeeeeee…”
“…eeeyaaaaaaaaahh…” Another voice joined. Unfamiliar. Moments later, a bright white pony ran past us, Snaggletooth perched upon its back.
“Oh, boy.” I mutter frustatedly.
“Skreeeeeeee!”
“GET THIS THING OFF ME!” The pony shrieked, bouncing around, but failing to dislodge the Leaper from its body. She’s a mare, if my memory serves me right.
“Snaggletooth! Get off her! Where’s Fred?” Said Leaper finally gave up his rodeo ride, skittering across the ground, looking at me quizzically. I guess he doesn’t know where the affable Titan is.
The white pony shudders like she’s sick.
“What is that disgusting beast?” She shrieks and I cringe at the shrill tone in her voice.
“Snaggletooth might do that again. He loves invading other’s personal space.” My voice didn’t really help. It was rather intimidating-sounding. The ponies shrank back in fear.

“ARRRRARARAARARARARARARARARARARRR!” I nearly flinched as Ted landed in front of me.
“Jimmy, my boy! Finally found ya, mate! I heard Snag! Where-“The Leaper in question leapt in his face immediately.
“Bloody hell!” The jittery Slipskull howled, trying to pry the Leaper from his chest.

Errrrooooooooooouuuwwww.

I’d recognise that howl anywhere. Tag was somewhere near. I whistled sharply, and was rewarded with another howl, nearer this time. A couple of minutes later, just as Ted had detached Snag from himself; I saw the Howler running towards us, Jennifer in tow, shouting something I couldn’t understand. Tag ran up to me, panting, but seemed happy enough. Jen joined us a couple of minutes later, bent over and panting from exhaustion.
“Tag… He… he got half the town following us, James. Saw Fred, told him to meet us here. Where the hell are we, anyways?” Right at that moment, the ponies interjected, at least the purple one.
“Y-you’re in Equestria.” I turned to her, frowning.
“And where, pray tell, is that?”
“I-“She was interrupted as the last member of our group joined us, in high spirits, as always.
“James, nice to see you! Good day, Jennifer! Ted, how’s everything?” The ponies were terrified, to say the least, scared witless by the Titan’s size.
“Oh, and who are these… ponies? Oh, I almost forgot! My name’s Fred!” Fred near-shouted affably, as Snaggletooth clambered up his arm. The white pony was glaring at him, albeit ineffectively. The purple one took initiative again.
“My name is Twilight Sparkle. These are my friends.” She gestured to other ponies, who introduced themselves, albeit hesitantly.
“Rarity.”
“Ah’m Applejack.”
“I’m Rainbow Dash.”
“Pinkie Pie!”
“F-Fluttershy…”
Fred grinned a big, happy, toothy grin.
“Nice to meet you all! Now, let me introduce my friends!” He pointed at me.
“This here is James…”
“Hey.” I muttered.
“…Jennifer…”
“G’day.” The Steelhead simply nodded.
“…Ted…”
“’Ello!” The skittish Slipskull waved.
“…And these here are Snaggletooth and Tag.” Fred pointed at the Leaper and Howler, respectively.
“Okay, now that that’s over with, we need to find a way back to London. How did we get here in the first place? Last I remember was the reactor exploding. I hope that did the trick.” I raised my voice slightly, when someone else joined our happy little conversation.
“Twilight Sparkle, get your friends away from those beasts! Now!”
That sounded like trouble.
A tall, white pony flew down from the sky, landing in front of the smaller ones, glaring at us.

Yep. Definitely trouble.

I reached for the Mk II Bullseye that was strapped on my back. Jen readied her Auger. Ted crouched, wielding his Reaper carbines. Snag prepared to leap in the pony’s face. Tag was eyeing the pony the way one would eye a meal after starving for a month in Sahara.
Fred was the only one who didn’t look like fighting.
“Now, there! All of you calm down, immediately!” He thundered, standing up to his full height. He distracted the big white pony long enough for Ted to grab a fistful of sand and throw it at said pony, blinding it for the time being.
“LEG IT, MATE!” He howled, springing away like a grasshopper, with Snag following suit. I followed him, and so did Jen. We ran through the garishly-painted town, listening to Ted’s instructions as he led us out of the settlement.
“Ted! Where’re we heading?” Jen shouted.
“I see a forest right ahead, Jen!” The Slipskull responded, jumping across another house.
A forest? Sounded good. We could hide there.

My train of thoughts was interrupted by a bright beam narrowly missing Jen. The Steelhead snarled, but kept running. I turned around, letting off a burst from my Bullseye at the pursuing pony. The Chimeran sub-machine gun roared, sending a hail of projectiles off. I didn’t linger around, though, instead rejoining Jen in our mad dash. Tag was right behind us, Snag perched upon his shoulders. Fred was nowhere to be seen, which was somewhat worrying, but he could take care of himself. Once again, my train of thoughts was rudely interrupted by the pony. She somehow appeared right in from of me, saying something I didn’t hear. Needless to say, I was furious. Forgetting all of my civility, I leapt at the pony, fangs bared, claws outstretched, and a rage-filled roar rising from my throat. I note the fear and surprise in its magenta eyes, just as my fingers curl around its neck and we crash to the ground.
I overpower the pony quickly, pressing its neck and head to ground, out of the reach of its flailing legs. I was swept up by the adrenaline high, hearts racing, as I lowered my jaws to the pony’s neck, preparing to sink my fangs in its flesh.
“James! What the hell do you think you’re doing?”

Jen.

Angry.

I was brought back to the reality by Jen’s harsh shout. I looked at the pony, who was a female, I noted, now that I had a clearer mind. She had stopped struggling, instead panting, gazing at me, her wide eyes filled with terror. My teeth were inches away from her neck. The feral me was growling, snuffling inside my mind, goading me to tear into the sweet, soft flesh and have a real feast, but I didn’t listen to it.

I almost became what I avoided like plague. A mindless beast, living only to kill. A Chimera.
Albeit reluctantly, I let go and stand up, following Jen to the forest, leaving the quivering mare alone.

As soon as we were sufficiently deep inside the cover of the forest, Jen punches me, sending me to the ground.

Ow.

“What the hell, James? Didn’t we agree not to kill anything that isn’t Chimera? We’re better than that!” Irritated, angry at myself, I have no real answer to respond to her with.
“Leave me alone, Jen. I feel bad enough already as it is.” I pick myself up, resuming my walk, but Jen isn’t having any of it. She grabs me by my shoulders, shaking me furiously.
“You listen here! You try anything like that again; I’ll tear your throat out myself. Got it?” I just snarl and shake her off, following Ted, who has just found a cave. We wander inside. Fred breaks the uncomfortable silence.
“Well, this is a nice find, wouldn’t you say so? We can shelter here.” He turned to me, a worried expression on his face, as much as his Chimeran physique allowed to show.
“Look, James, my friend, I don’t want to pry, but I have to ask. What happened to you back there?”
“I nearly lost it, didn’t I?”
“You nearly bit her head off, James. I know that you are fighting your own nature. It’s not easy to keep yourself sane. I understand what you went through.” He laid a reassuring slab of a hand on my shoulder, nearly breaking my back.
“Thanks.”
“That’s what I’m here for, old boy. Now, we should get a fire started, no?” He wandered outside the cave, starting to tear trees out of ground, snapping them in two, piling them in front of the cave. He set them alight by removing one of his heat stacks and using its heat to get the timber to catch fire. He hummed satisfiedly, reattaching the heat stack, sitting down as the fire crackled. Tag showed up from nowhere, dragging a dead boar with him. I helped Fred gut it and roast it on the fire. The feast helped lift our spirits somewhat. Snaggletooth was cavorting through the boar’s carcass. Tag was chewing thoughtfully on a rib. Fred was checking his belongings, in the Crazy Bag of Holding he lugged with him. Ted seemed more calm than ever, picking at his fangs. Jen had taken off her helmet, tinkering with it absent-mindedly. As for me, well… I kept to myself, trying not to dwell on the fact that I almost murdered someone innocent. I wasn’t all that successful at that.
“Okay, you guys. I’m going to have some sleep.” Jen sighed, standing up and entered the cave. I stood up, too, hefting my Bullseye.
“I’ll keep watch. Everyone else, turn in for the night.” I clambered up a tree, where I was sufficiently concealed. Ted nodded happily.
“A’ight, mate! Thanks a bunch, for the dinner, Tag!” The Howler in question simply grumbled quietly, curling up in front of the fire, falling asleep fast. Ted shrugged and also disappeared in the cave, followed shortly by Fred, Snaggletooth in tow. I settled against the tree trunk, keeping an eye out for any trouble.

Ponyville

“Are you sure you’re okay, Princess? You look really shaken.” Twilight asked worriedly.
“I’m quite alright, Twilight. It’s just that I don’t understand why that beast spared me. It could’ve killed me right there and then, but it ran away instead. Do they have names, Twilight? Did you speak with them?”
“Well, yeah, we did. The big one’s named Fred. There were some kind of freaky animal things as well, but I can’t remember their names. The others were named James, Jen and Ted. That’s all I remember before things went haywire.”
“And now they’re hiding in the Everfree Forest. We need a plan for dealing with them, but we must be careful. I fear we may yet have to fight them. I hope it doesn’t come to that.”