• Published 26th Oct 2012
  • 5,494 Views, 842 Comments

Heart of Loyalty - PonyAmorous

  • ...
45
 842
 5,494

Chapter 16

Applejack and Fluttersy stood silently as they watched the emotional scene on display before them. They both shot one another questioning looks, as if to glean any answers as to how they should feel about this new development. When Twilight's tears of joy had finally died down, a full minute passed before Fluttershy finally broke the silence.

"Umm...so...what now?"

Twilight and Rainbow Dash both jumped, apparently having completely forgotten about the two other ponies present. Twilight cleared her throat and spoke.

"Well, to answer Dash's question, yes I could recast the spell. All I'd need is to gather the right ingredients again. If we're going to do that, we should head back towards Ponyville and the Everfree." She closed her eyes to think for a few seconds before raising a hoof toward the horizon. "Which should be that way."

"And you think that'll just wrap up everything with a nice tidy bow?" Applejack interjected. "Twilight just gets to walk and everypony forgets about the whole thing and pretends it never happened? You know it ain't that easy, right?"

"Why not?" Rainbow Dash responded, a defensive tone in her voice. "I said I'm fine with it. I kinda get why nopony cared about my opinion earlier, but I'm not under any spell at the moment. You and Fluttershy are both witnesses. Those doctors can even scan my head and confirm it, and I'll sign whatever in front of whoever to make this happen."

Twilight gave a sad shake of her head. "She's right, Dash. "Whether or not you forgive me for it now, the original act was extremely illegal. Even if nopony was ultimately hurt in the end, it's not the kind of thing the princesses can afford to set a precedent for letting slide."

"Well screw them, then! I'm going forward with this, and I'm not gonna do it just to have them tear us apart afterward for what's in the past. I'm sticking with you, and if that puts me on the wrong side of the law, then I guess that's just where I'll be from now on."

Applejack huffed and muttered something under her breath. Rainbow Dash turned and leveled a glare her way.

"What? You going to stop me?" The note of challenge to the question was unmistakable.

"I reckon I'm obligated to at least try to knock some sense into you before you go throwing your life away like this."

"Try being the key word there. Even without Twilight backing me up, anypony looking to stop me is going to have a fight on their hooves. I like you AJ. Along with Fluttershy and Twilight, you're one of the closest friends I've ever had. But don't think that means I'd hold anything back."

The two rivals and ex-lovers continued to stare one another down, both tensed and ready to spring into action as seconds ticked by. Twilight and Fluttershy held their breath as they looked on. Finally, Applejack spoke up.

"So you're really serious about this then? This is what you want?"

"Yeah. It is."

"And ain't nothin' nopony can say to change yer mind?"

"No."

"...Alright then. Fine." Applejack relaxed her stance as Rainbow Dash blinked in surprise. "The main reason I came out here in the first place was to find you and make sure you were alright, and to get you help if you weren't. Getting answers outta Twilight was secondary, and dragging her flank into custody would have been in the interest of getting her to fix you up. But if you ain't hurt and you don't need freeing from any spells anymore...I guess it ain't really any of my business anymore is it?" Rainbow Dash slowly began to relax. "Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't approve of any of this. None of it sits right with me, but I figure you've at least got time to sleep on it and change your mind before Twilight's got the stuff she needs to recast her spell. If you're still set on this when the time comes, well, I can't tell you how to live your life. If this is what you really want, I won't get in your way."

Rainbow Dash gave a sigh of relief. "Thanks, AJ. I appreciate it."

Applejack kicked at a loose pebble and pulled her hat down over her eyes. "Shucks, I know I wouldn't have a chance of stopping you anyhow. I know it'd be somethin' of a tossup whether I could take you one on one, and Twilight would probably squash me flat before I even got close." She cast a quick glance to the scorched devastation around them and rubbed a hoof at her throat while Twilight blushed and fidgeted in discomfort. "And I doubt Fluttershy here would tip the balance, assuming she didn't just straight up join your side to begin with."

A startled "eep" escaped Fluttershy's lips as attention shifted back to her. "Oh! Um..."

"Relax. I know your heart weren't exactly set on seeing Twilight dragged away in chains this whole time."

Fluttershy sighed. "No. To be honest, I'm mostly just relieved I don't have to pick sides between Rainbow Dash and Twilight. Or you now, I guess. I am still worried about one thing though. If we don't try to stop you, does that make us...um...what's the term?"

"Accessories?" Twilight suggested.

"Yeah."

"I don't think so," Applejack replied. "As there's no way the two of us can physically stop them, we should be fine as long as we're not directly helping them. Sure we're probably obligated to report what we know to the guards the next time we find ourselves in town, but as we don't really have a clue where we currently are, we can't do that. Unless Twi and Dash feel like giving us directions to the nearest town, in which case we would be legally bound to go there and make a full report to the authorities, we'll just have to follow the way Twilight pointed earlier back to Ponyville."

"And if that just so happens to be the way we're traveling as well..." Twilight added with a smirk.

"It's better to keep an eye and ear on ya both as long as possible so we can make a more detailed report on your activities and last known location when the time comes." Applejack nodded.

"And if, say, you happen to stop and make camp where we do?"

"It's not our fault if you happen to set up your camp close enough to ours that they start overlapping. And seeing as we left our supplies behind in a wagon that's now who knows how far away in who knows what direction, we really have no choice but to scavenge whatever happens to be nearby out of necessity. And if we happen to find some food to cook and end up with more than the two of us can eat by ourselves, well, there ain't no crime in leaving leftovers sitting around unattended is there?" Applejack questioned innocently.

"No, I suppose there isn't." Twilight replied with a smile.

"Peachy. Well, best get going. We're burnin' daylight."

***

"So let me get this straight," Rainbow Dash said as she finished stacking the pile of firewood. "You kicked Princess Luna, co-ruler of Equestria, right in the horn and then melted her face off?"

Twilight looked up from her work snapping the ends of the last few tent poles into position. "Well, she definitely got burned. I don't know if it burned off her whole face, as she regenerated pretty quickly, but that's basically what happened."

"Bullshit. You're just messing with me now, aren't you?"

"Nah, she's tellin' the truth." Applejack called out from the campfire where she and Fluttershy were occupied cooking dinner. "We found that hideout, and it sure looked like one doozy of a rumble went down there. We even found one of Luna's feathers next to some bits of blood, so I'm pretty sure Twilight got at least one good lick in."

"Wow, she must have been pissed."

"Yeah. She was." Twilight shuddered.

"So what did you do?"

"Well, I freaked out, threw a tree at her, somehow managed to dodge a lot, got a lucky hit in and managed to throw her into a bush, and then threw everything I could think of at her."

"So what happened?"

"She got really pissed off, and then I woke up the next morning in a cage with a headache and a high end magic inhibitor on my horn."

Rainbow Dash raised a hoof to her mouth to muffle a short series of giggles.

"Yeah, well it wasn't terribly funny at the time."

"Sorry. So how did you get out from under Luna's nose without magic? Or did you have to break out of Canterlot somehow?"

"Well, that's where things got kinda weird, cause then the changelings got involved."

"Soup's on everypony!" Applejack called out. "Come and get it!"

The retelling of Twilight's adventures was put on hold as both ponies hurried over to the fire to fill their bellies. Twilight and Rainbow Dash both helped themselves to a steaming bowl of soup that sent their eyebrows skyward as soon as it touched their lips.

"Whoa! I don't know if it's just because I've been eating hospital food for the last few weeks, but this stuff is great!" Rainbow Dash exclaimed.

"That would be Fluttershy's doing. Turns out she's got a real knack for spices." Applejack shot a proud glance over at her sous-chef, who fidgeted at the attention.

"Umm, yes. Applejack has been giving me some cooking lessons. I've still got a ways to go until I'm as good as her, though."

"I wouldn't be too sure about that. I may still have the edge in baking, but when it comes to campfire cooking, you're pretty much on the edge of passing me up. Plus you're scary good at scavenging all kinds of herbs and mushrooms and stuff from the wild. My pigs would be downright jealous of how quick you can scrounge up some quality tubers."

"I...umm...thanks." Fluttershy gave a small nod, sending her mane forward to hide the slight pinkish tinge in her cheeks at the unexpected praise.

"Well whatever you guys are doing, it's definitely working," Dash said before diving back into her food.

"It truly is delicious, Fluttershy. Thank you," Twilight said with a beaming smile.

She quivered slightly, as if caught by a sudden chill, and stared down at her own bowl of soup. "I-I think I need to gather just a little bit more sage, actually. You girls go ahead and keep eating. I'll be fine."

Placing her bowl back down next to the fire to keep it warm, she quietly slipped away into the long shadows of the surrounding trees. Twilight joined Rainbow Dash, who continued to stuff her face without pause, while Applejack stared after Flutterhshy's departure with a single raised eyebrow.

After a minute of pondering her own bowl, Applejack stood up and stretched. "I'm gonna get us some more firewood. You two just keep eating."

Rainbow Dash, too busy to raise her face from where she continued to shovel food into it, simply curled a wing into an approximation of the 'thumbs up' gesture Spike occasionally gave, while Twilight responded with a silent nod. Taking a moment to readjust her hat, Applejack trotted off into the trees in the direction Fluttershy had left.

As she searched for her friend, the quiet of the surrounding woods left her alone with her thoughts.

She had started this little adventure to find Dash and make sure she was okay. Now Dash was certainly found. She at least wasn't physically hurt, and her usual pigheadedness was still undeniably intact, but 'okay' still wasn't a label she would be willing to stick on the pegasus. 'Okay' really didn't apply to anyone involved in this entire situation.

Rainbow Dash had had her brains scrambled with magic. Twice. In addition to being confined to a bed for weeks. An unbearable situation for someone who lived and breathed flying.

Twilight, for her momentary victory here, was still the most wanted fugitive in Equestria, not only for scrambling Dash's brains, but for further resisting the shit out of arrest to the point of assaulting royalty, all of which she appeared to be completely unrepentant about. If the lingering soreness in her throat and the singe marks on the edges of her hat were any indication, Twilight was also barely holding onto sanity by a thread. A multicolored thread named Rainbow Dash. As much as she seemed like the same lovable bookworm now that Dash was back, Applejack had gotten a long, hard look at the storm of fire and rage that would just as soon reduce the world to ashes should that no longer be the case.

Is it weird that I still think of her as my friend, though? For a mare who spent so much of her life in voluntary isolation, she always was oddly skilled at getting ponies to like her and follow her lead without even trying. Maybe it's just nostalgia from all those 'saving the world' adventures, but I look at her and I still see the mare with the plan that will lead us to victory and make everything turn out alright.

Then, of course, there was Fluttershy. It was painfully obvious she wasn't over Twilight in the slightest. That torch still burned like Celestia's sun. Add in the fact that Rainbow Dash was her oldest and closest friend from fillyhood, and she didn't even want to guess about how many directions the poor mare's mind had been torn recently.

And then there's me.

Applejack's thoughts were interrupted by a barely audible sigh, uttered just before she let out the heavy breath from her own lungs. She looked around for the source, but couldn't find it. A second sigh, more like a whisper, carried through the air. Applejack looked up and spotted a low floating cloud next to a small hill several paces away.

Trotting up the hill, Applejack saw Fluttershy sprawled listlessly over the top of the spacious cloud and staring off into the distance. It looked as if her thoughts were heavy enough to send the fluffy mass of vapor plummeting down into the dirt at any moment.

"Howdy."

Fluttershy shot up into the air with a choked "EEP!" and whirled around to face the unexpected intruder.

"A-Applejack! I-I was—"

"Looking for sage?"

Fluttershy's shoulders slumped as she cast her face down towards her hooves, kneading the cloud below.

"Of a sort, I guess."

Applejack nodded. "Not sure I have any to give. Could actually use some myself. Still, it's always easier to find with a friend than alone."

Applejack gave two quick pats to the top of her head and crouched. Fluttershy was about to ask what she was doing but was interrupted by the farm pony leaping from the top of the hill into the open air. Her eyes widened, and she was just about to scream in horror when Applejack landed next to her on the cloud with a smile.

"What? How...?"

Applejack slowly reached a hoof under her hat. When she pulled it out, a gold chain was draped around her foreleg. At the bottom of the chain was a small, lightly glowing pendant, slowly twisting from the motion of being retrieved. On one side was engraved a trio of apples, while the other bore a lightning bolt striking out from a cloud.

"An old gift from Dash. Back when..." she let the rest of the sentence go on unfinished. "Apparently, she secretly enlisted Twilight to enchant it with a cloud walking spell for her so me and Dash could spend more time together at her place." Her fond smile morphed into a frown. "Now that I consider the context...it's kinda messed up, really."

"And you...kept it." Fluttershy murmured, hoping she didn't sound like a fool for stating the obvious.

"Yeah."

"And, umm, you just...keep it on you all the time, then?"

Applejack didn't respond. She simply let out a sigh as she pushed her forelegs forward from her sitting position until she was lying completely prone and stretched out on the cloud. Fluttershy silently assumed the same position next to her. From their elevated position, they could spot the soft glow of the campfire and the outlines of two ponies chatting happily beside it. One could almost imagine the last few weeks had never happened and Ponyville's latest power couple was simply enjoying a romantic camping trip.

"Do you think...?" Fluttershy murmured with hesitation, wary of of breaking the moment of silence. "Do you think it would have worked out? Twilight and Rainbow Dash, I mean. If none of this had ever come out in the open. Do you think they would have...?"

"Made it for the long haul?" Applejack finished.

"Yeah."

"Well, nothing's certain, but with nopony the wiser, I imagine Twilight would be able to keep Dash magicked up and under her hoof as long as she wanted." Her pensive expression dropped into a scowl.

"No." Fluttershy gave a brief shake of her head. "Remember? She said the magic was set to fade out over time. After another month or two, there wouldn't be any magic at all, just them. Do you think they would have lasted past that point? Without the magical support, would the relationship just kind of...fizzle out and slowly die? Would all the love Rainbow was made to feel earlier be enough for them to just kind of coast forward for years until they've been together so long that it's just easier to stay together rather than face being single again? Or...or maybe...?"

"What?"

"Maybe, their relationship is wildly successful because they really are great for each other, and it really just took a bit of horribly unethical magic to get the ball rolling. What if, in some alternate timeline, Rainbow Dash had given Twilight a shot, gone on a few dates, and they'd both ended up just as perfect together as we all thought they looked?"

Applejack closed her eyes in thought. True, Dash and Twilight had some undeniable chemistry together, but it was impossible to tell how much of that was due to the spell Dash was under. They had fit together so naturally, so effortlessly, that it had been days before she and her friend could fully wrap their heads around it being artificial. There hadn't been anything approaching a red flag. No small oddities to look back to in hindsight and kick oneself for not suspecting that Dash wasn't acting like herself. No smile was just a little too forced. No gaze just a little vacant. Just Rainbow Dash in a happy relationship.

Was it so ludicrous to believe that maybe that was just what happy relationship Dash looked like? It wasn't like she didn't have some personal memories of their own relationship to compare with, and the comparison checked out. Was it so big a leap to think that maybe, in addition to Twilight's damned spell, the two of them had some natural compatibility of their own and made each other happy in a way that was independent from magic?

That doesn't make any of this right, though!

"Applejack?"

"No use tying ourselves up in what ifs and could haves. There ain't no way for anypony to really know one way or the other about things that didn't happen, so worrying over it won't do any good. Better to focus on what to do next."

"Right." Fluttershy gave a slightly disappointed nod. "So, umm, what do we do next?"

Applejack lifted herself up from her prone position just far enough to give a casual shrug. "Hay if I know. Keep an eye on those two and hope Dash comes to her senses? And if she doesn't, try to bring myself to at least support her decision even if I don't approve or understand it. As for the whole Twilight and the law situation, I guess I'll just have to cross that bridge when I reach it. What about you?"

"Me? I-I don't know. I just...I want..."

"What?"

"No, it's dumb."

"Yeah, probably. Tell me anyway."

Fluttershy dropped her face forward between her forelegs and mumbled through a mouth full of cloud.

"Gee, thanks."

"Feelings and desires are dumb all the time. For all the cliche's about 'following your heart', hearts ain't exactly built for thinking. It's no surprise that what they spit out is downright idiotic more often than not. And yes, I know that ain't how it literally works. I know emotions and what not are all handled by a part of the brain and that's pretty much at the core of this entire mess, but my point still stands. Twilight's the smartest mare I know, likely one of the smartest if not the smartest in Equestria, and listening to her heart (or whatever you want to call it) set her down the most damn foolish path I've ever seen. Point is, don't worry too much about wanting something stupid. Happens to everypony. Happens to me all the time."

Fluttershy said nothing, but a slight quiver passed down her body, which soon grew into a solid shake. Muffled noises rose from where her face still pressed against the cloud as tremors continued to rack her body. Applejack was just about to reach out a hoof to console the distraught pegasus when Fluttershy raised her head, bringing the clear sound of laughter as a few stray beams of sunset gave her smiling face a golden glow.

"What is it? What's so funny?" Applejack asked as a slight tinge of pink reached her cheeks.

"Nothing. It's just, you get so into it when you start in on one of your 'folksy wisdom speeches'. That's what I call them anyway. It kinda reminds me of Twilight rambling on in lecture mode."

"F-Folksy wisdom speeches?" The color in Applejack's cheeks was steadily growing brighter. "Rambling?"

"Oh, don't worry. It's very endearing. Cute, even."

"Uggh!" Applejack pulled her hat down over her face, hiding what at this point could be mistaken for a second set of apple cutie marks.

"Anyway, thanks. Rambling or not, they do always make me feel a bit better. The truth is..." she let out a tired sigh. "Even though I know better, I keep thinking that somehow there must be some secret way to make everything work out. A way to make this whole mess go away and just put everything back to normal. Some impossible scenario to make everypony happy. You, the princesses, Twilight, Rainbow Dash, and all of our friends."

"And?"

"And what?"

"I can't help but notice you left a certain pony off of that list. So, what scenario ends up making you happy?"

"Me? Oh, uh, you know. As long as everypony else is back together and happy, then I'm fine."

"Really, now?" Applejack responded, skepticism dripping off of her flat expression.

"Y-Yeah, of course," Flutershy replied, her no longer glowing smile starting to drop at the edges.

"So if we all just went back to how things were a few weeks back, minus the magic none of us knew about at the time, you'd be just peachy?"

"Y-Yes!" Fluttershy squeaked out, suddenly very interested in absolutely everything that wasn't Applejack's face.

Applejack said nothing, but maintained her stony gaze, secretly wondering if maybe she should have just let the subject drop so that radiant smile from a few moments ago could have lasted a bit longer. It was too late for that now.

"I-I just..." Fluttershy struggled to force words past a lump developing in her throat. "As long as Twilight and Rainbow Dash and everypony else are..." She willed back the water threatening to creep over her eyes. "All I want...I want...I want..." She bit down hard on her lower lip until she started to taste blood. Slowly, she inhaled and exhaled through her nose until the shaking in her body had finally stopped. Calm at last, she opened her mouth to reply that she was perfectly fine as long as her friends were happy.

But that wasn't what came out.

"I WANT HER TO LOVE ME!" Her head fell back to the cloud where it was promptly covered by her forelegs while the rest continued to spill out. "I want her to somehow discover feelings for me and that we were meant to be together all along and somehow Rainbow Dash ends up being completely okay with it. Then everyone just forgets about the whole love spell and fugitive business, you and Rainbow Dash somehow get back together, and the four of us go on double dates just like we used to, only this time SHE LOVES ME LIKE I LOVE HER!"

Unable to come up with anything appropriate to say, Applejack settled on placing a comforting hoof on Fluttershy's back and rubbing gently.

"And I KNOW there's no way that's going to happen. I know it. But I had to go look for her because staying at home and not seeing her, maybe never seeing her again, was killing me. And even though I know what she did was wrong, I still want to help her because when I look at her and the way she looks at Rainbow Dash, I can't help but feel like I'm looking in a mirror. Like I can somehow, I don't know, vicariously be happy by helping her find happiness with Rainbow Dash, while still burning up with jealousy. Then I'd usually feel horribly guilty because Rainbow Dash was under a spell and I should be working to free my best friend instead of helping the pony that was keeping her enchanted, which makes me a bad pony and a terrible friend. And on top of that, I was still jealous and a bit angry at Rainbow Dash for stealing her from me, despite her having no choice in the matter, which is just completely insane! So now I'm a crazy pony in addition to being a terrible friend."

Applejack continued her silent back rub while Fluttershy took a few haggard breaths before continuing.

"And now! Now Rainbow Dash says she's okay with it and wants to be with Twilight anyway, so at least if I wanted to help Twilight that no longer means betraying Rainbow Dash. That should make things simpler, but it really doesn't because I still want her to love ME! I want so badly to see Twilight get what she wants, even if she's done bad things, even if she doesn't deserve it, but I want what she wants to be ME!"

A few minutes of cloud muffled sobbing passed. Applejack kept up the steady rhythm of her hoof until Fluttershy's breathing grew steady once again.

"Is that dumb enough for you?"

"Bout what I expected really. It ain't that dumb, just...an unfortunate position to be in."

"A bit of an understatement."

"Definitely. Feel any better?"

"Marginally? I'm still miserable, but..."

"But it's nice to finally say all that out loud for a change?"

"Yeah."

"And just so you know, you're a great friend, and the furthest thing imaginable from a bad pony. You're probably the best pony I ever met, and I mean that in the sense of just being fundamentally good inside. I know circumstance has got your head all twisted up with self-doubt, but I thought you should know that."

"Umm...thanks?" Fluttershy replied, unsure how else to respond to a compliment of that magnitude. "You're, uhh, great too?"

A few minutes passed as the two ponies stared off into the reddening horizon. The sounds of nature were beginning their transition from day to night, the songs of birds fading out as crickets began to stir. With a tired sigh, Applejack finally spoke.

"Sorry for your crappy situation. I know there's nothing I can really do to make it better, but...if you ever need to talk, or just get your thoughts out loud for a bit, I'll be there to listen. For whatever it's worth, you don't have to be miserable and alone."

"Thanks. And actually..." The slightest hint of a smile began to pull at the corners of Fluttershy's mouth. "It's a very distant second, but there is kinda something else I want. You'd be the one to see about it too."

"What's that?"

"More of those apple turnovers?"

"HA! Well, shoot. We just need to see if Twilight has any cinnamon packed away. It's a bit more difficult to make baked goods with a camp fire, but I know a few tricks. I'll even teach 'em to ya."

"I can't wait." Fluttershy's unsteady smile grew as she wiped the remains of tears from her eyes with a wing."

"Come on then, let's head back before Dash eats all the soup. I don't know about you, but I'm starved."

The two made their way back to the camp, grabbing a small hoof full of kindling and herbs on the way. When they arrived, Twilight was back to regaling Rainbow Dash with the stories of her adventure, having reached the part about sneaking into Chrysalis' bedroom while she slept.

Fluttershy took her seat and resumed eating, feeling her mood immediately begin to improve by the addition of food to her empty stomach. She settled in to listen to Twilight's exploits, but was soon distracted by something on the horizon.

"Umm...girls?" Three heads turned towards her. "The sunset. Was it always that shade of red?"

"Well the red color is due to the differential scattering of higher frequencies of light as it travels through the atmosphere, and variances can be caused by the pockets of high pressure along the line of–"

"What about angry throbbing?" Rainbow Dash interrupted.

"What?" Twilight spun around to look at the setting sun and was struck speechless.

"That's bad, right? What's it mean?" Rainbow Dash asked, squinting at a sun that looked as if it had been dunked in a mixture of blood and kerosene.

Twilight gave a nervous gulp. "I'm guessing it means we should stick to tree cover and give Canterlot a wide berth."

Author's Note:

Blah Blah Blah, insert traditional "I'm a terrible person for neglecting this for so long" speech here. It seems like the secret to me finishing this chapter is procrastination on far more important things like a writing project that I actually get paid for (I started doing some freelance work for Shmoop, writing witty, humorous, and pop-culture filled test questions, lessons, and units of course work). I should probably get back to teaching 6th graders to program in Scratch.

Next chapter, some more stuff from Celestia's perspective and hopefully (depending on how many other events I might have to stick in between) another scene involving Discord that's been on my mind for a while now. Maybe one day I'll even finish this fic before my horrendously unhealthy lifestyle kills me.