• Published 26th Oct 2012
  • 5,494 Views, 842 Comments

Heart of Loyalty - PonyAmorous

  • ...
45
 842
 5,494

Chapter 13

"Where are you Twilight Sparkle?" Luna asked aloud as she searched the black void she suddenly found herself in. It appeared Twilight's capabilities were more advanced than she thought if she was able to conceal herself so.

"Who's there?" A strange but oddly familiar voice called out, tinged with fright.

Luna turned to the voice's source, a shadowy figure a few paces away. She approached to find a small indigo alicorn with light blue mane and tail and a crescent moon cutie mark. It was the spitting image of her weakened state after being cleansed by the Elements of Harmony, and it was staring up at her in fear.

"S-Stay away! Leave me alone you monster! You won't take me again! Not again! I'm not you!" the construct choked out in a pathetic teary mess. Annoyed and somewhat insulted by whatever this was supposed to be, Luna fired a quick beam of magic and her counterpart shattered with a scream into dozens of shards that reformed themselves into a mirror. Reflected in its surface was the visage of Nightmare Moon.

"Really?" Luna paused, surprised at the sudden shift in her voice to a much deeper timbre . She looked down to see her new taller and leaner figure, her fur now a deep midnight black.

Well now, this IS interesting. Changing another dreamwalker's appearance against their will.

Her surprise only grew as attempts to revert her appearance failed.

We're going to have a lengthy discussion about this in the Canterlot dungeons.

"What is this? Are you seriously attempting to ensnare ME in a nightmare?"

The void faded, replaced by the streets of Ponyville. Ponies ran in terror, cries of 'Nightmare Moon!' filling the air. Rank amateur work from top to bottom. Nothing compared to what she inflicted on herself each day.

"HAHAHAHA! Do you think this is clever? Do you expect me to cower and weep from this? Pathetic!"

Ponyville faded, replaced once again by the dark void.

"Let me guess, I suppose next I shall have to confront my sister?"

Right on cue, Celestia stepped out from the shadows. "Luna? Is that you? What happened?"

"Oh how insufferably predictable." She fired another beam of magic, intended to disperse the dream figment, but to her surprise it was only knocked off its hooves.

"OW! Luna! What are you doing?!"

"You're full of surprises today Twilight Sparkle. Your facsimiles are remarkably durable." She fired a second beam, only to have it deflected by a shield.

"Damnit Luna! Stop! It's me!"

"Much better than the last one at any rate."

"On your 238th birthday I dared you to eat a rock and you did! You were sick for a week!"

"...Celestia? But how? You are not able to enter dreams."

Celestia pulled herself back to her hooves and settled her feathers. "I picked up a couple things while you were gone. I'm not an expert, but I can handle the basics."

"Why are you here?"

"I came by your room to check on you. You've been in here a while, and I figured you could use some help."

Luna turned away, annoyance seeping into her voice. "I do not require checking up on like a fragile foal, and I do not require your assistance. I have the situation well under control."

"Luna, I just want to help you. Please."

"Fine. You may assist. But stay back and don't get in the way."

Celestia nodded. "Right. I'll follow your lead. And uh...one more thing. What's with all of....this?" She waved a hoof in Luna's direction. "Is that normal?"

"Fear not, I do not make a habit of traversing the dreamscape in the guise of Nightmare Moon. Twilight Sparkle has, through some unknown means, managed to force this appearance upon me, I assume in an attempt to unnerve me somehow. Now come on."

"Where are we going?"

"First we are getting out of this poor excuse of a nightmare."

Smoky tendrils rose from her ethereal mane to probe at the void around them, pushing at the seams and attempting to tear through. A firm yet ever weakening force pushed back against them. Twilight was finally growing tired. Her resolve losing strength. Now was the time to push on all fronts.

"I can feel you weakening, Twilight Sparkle. You can't hold me here much longer. Your nightmare was lacking. It seems you don't have a proper appreciation for what true terror is, but I'll be happy to show you once I find you. Mhahaha!" As much as she disliked this appearance being thrust upon her, she had to admit that Nightmare Moon's voice lent extra strength to ominous threats and sinister laughter. It had proved quite the effective persona for its purpose back when she had created it. Unfortunately, it worked a little too effectively judging by the sidelong looks Celestia was giving her.

At last the dam broke and the black void was blown away, replaced by the familiar grassy plain. Twilight was frantically trying to climb back onto her hooves, defenses shattered after being knocked prone by the blast. Luna seized the initiative. Her fangs stretched a few extra centimeters and her eyes widened while the pupils and irises constricted into points of bright green fire. The ambient light dimmed as she rushed forward, fangs bared, and thrust her face right up against Twilight's.

"RUN!"

Luna could feel the last of Twilight's lucidity crumble as fear and panic overwhelmed her. With her control gone, and awareness of her own dreaming rapidly fading, Twilight stumbled and fled in a blind rout. Her reign over the dream uncontested, Luna twisted the plain into darkened swamp. Thick, knee high muck sapped at Twilight's speed, while hidden roots caused her to trip and fall as she scrambled through claw like branches that scraped at her coat. Luna flew after her quarry, magically projecting her voice into a whisper in Twilight's ear.

"You can't escape. I've almost got you."

She sent a warm, damp breeze as a simulated breath to brush against the back of her target's neck. This spurred an extra burst of speed, followed by a series of blind teleports which ceased only when Twilight looked up to find that her horn was gone. As she felt frantically around her now empty forehead, a pair of rotting hooves burst up from the slime to grab at her back legs. She kicked free, but more rose up to grab at her legs and tail, pulling her further down into the dark muck. Up to her neck and spitting out mouthfuls of foul black liquid, Twilight managed to grab hold of a vine and pulled with all the strength she could manage. Slowly, she began to rise back out of the swamp. Just as she had pulled herself halfway out, the vine lashed itself around her midsection and yanked her up. Two more vines wrapped themselves around her back legs and flipped her over to dangle upside down above the reaching grasp of the rotting hooves below. Another vine wrapped around her neck and squeezed. Twilight choked and gasped, her front hooves slapping fruitlessly against the vine, unable to find any purchase to pry it off.

Spots danced in front of her eyes from the lack of oxygen and the hooves below brushed at her mane as the vines lowered her ever closer. Looking up, she could see the dark silhouette of Nightmare Moon approaching, fangs bared and gleaming. The pawing of her front hooves at her neck grew more feeble as strength drained from her limbs and darkness spread from the corners of her vision. Nightmare Moon was now face to face with her, jaw unhinging as the razor filled mouth spread to encircle her head.

"Luna! That's enough!" Celestia shouted.

The scenery flickered as Twilight's nearly closed eyes began to twitch open. Luna quickly tightened the vines and hit Twilight with a jolt of magic, sealing her in a crystal bubble of stasis. The swamp vanished, returned once again to the featureless plain. She turned to glare at Celestia, but was interrupted before she could speak.

"What was all that Luna?!"

"That, dear sister, was me working and you nearly rousing my target back to lucidity at the crucial moment!" Luna expected a sheepish apology in response, but got only accusations.

"But you were enjoying that! The laughing, the taunting..."

Luna bristled in response. "Theatrics are important to the task. I do not need to be lectured on how to fulfill my own duties by y-"

"No!" Celestia cut her off. "Are you seriously going to say that all of that was necessary? That that was the minimum amount of torture you had to put her through to trap her in that?" Celestia pointed to the crystal cocoon Twilight floated in. "There's no justifying that level of cruelty! You were out of control!"

That was the last straw.

"AND WHAT WOULD THOU KNOWEST OF OUR WORK!?" Dark thunder clouds formed in the sky and her mane and tail thrashed violently in the winds of a raging storm. Her eyes glowed a solid bright white. "THOU HAST NEVER IN MILLENNIA TAKEN INTEREST IN THE THANKLESS TASKS WE PERFORM TO KEEP EQUESTRIA SAFE! TOO BUSY SIPPING TEA WITH SYCOPHANTS AND BASKING IN ADORATION TO DIRTY YOUR HOOVES YOURSELF!"

Celestia attempted to affect a stern mask of calm, but Luna could see hints of fear betrayed in the corners of her eyes. No. Not fear. Concern. Squashing down her anger, Luna's eyes returned to normal and the clouds dispersed as the savage winds came to rest. She took a deep breath before speaking again.

"If your stomach remains too weak for such business, I advise you leave and collect your student." A scroll bearing coordinates materialized between them and floated toward Celestia. "I shall remain here and ensure that she does not wake until she is properly secured."

No further words were spoken as Celestia read over the coordinates, blinked, and disappeared from the dream. Luna turned back to her sleeping prisoner with a scowl. In truth, perhaps she had been a tad overzealous near the end. Perhaps not every element of that chase had been strictly necessary, and after Twilight had managed to slip through her hooves for so long, her temper had briefly gotten the better of her. She would be damned if she was going to admit that to Celestia now though. Not when she was being so unreasonable. Acting like she knew the first thing about dream magic and was in any position to chastise her like a disobedient foal.

At least Celestia was actually yelling for a change. It was better than her usual gentle condescension that set Luna's teeth on edge. It was bad enough before her banishment when she had occasionally been treated as a child for simply being the younger sister, but since her return there was that extra bit of caution. That sense that she was somehow too fragile to be spoken to plainly. That too harsh a word might send her into some kind of relapse. Next to that, shouting had been a welcome relief, until she saw that glint of pitying concern in Celestia's eyes.

Giving another growl of anger to herself, she summoned a pool of cool water to splash on her face. Looking down into the water, she saw a fanged reflection snarling back at her. Despite regaining full control of the dream, she had forgotten to change back amid all the excitement.

***

Two weeks had passed, and still they had hardly spoken more than a hoof-ful of words to each other. It was nothing to be overly concerned about. They had once had a spat in their younger days that resulted in not talking to one another for nearly five years. Special positions in the guard had been created to relay passive aggressive requests to pass various condiments during meals. As much as she still resented her sister's behavior however, her anger had cooled slightly and mixed with a modicum of sympathy after catching a glimpse of the mountain of paperwork Celestia was buried in.

Twilight was restrained in the most securely warded cell that could be found, watched at all times by no fewer than ten elite unicorn guards, but the proper arrangements for her trial were barely half complete. It seemed that the criminal justice system had grown significantly more complex in the past thousand years. This had been a tolerable development only because (to Celestia's credit) the crime rate had been so staggeringly low. An offense of this magnitude had not been committed for at least six centuries, and the specific law books regarding mind control magic required some translation from old Equestrian after they were found. Then there was the team of legal scholars debating whether Rainbow Dash's status as the Element of Loyalty qualified additional charges for both assault on a national treasure and tampering with national security, which would qualify as espionage.

Then there was the pressing concern of how to operate the Elements of Harmony sans Twilight. Celestia had been using every waking moment she could find, and quite a few that should have been non-waking, to research possible workarounds, either by forcing Magic to re-synch to another pony, or by somehow distributing its role amongst the other bearers. Sadly, the one pony most capable of handling such a task was Twilight Sparkle herself, and she was no longer speaking. She was barely eating, any fire of life long since gone from her dull gaze. Even without the focal element bearer gone, it would take a small miracle to get that group properly harmonized. Recent events had left morale at an all time low, even ignoring the state Rainbow Dash was in.

Rainbow Dash's recovery was an ongoing issue. The spell's effects had been successfully reversed, but there was quite a lot of trauma left to work through. She spent most of her days in some form of counseling. Somehow, between the trial preparation, her research, and her regular duties, Celestia found time to visit her each day.

And on top of all that, there were staggering numbers of changeling prisoners to process. Nopony could even agree whether they should be classified as criminals, prisoners of war, or 'enemy combatants', much less what should be done with them all. Creating facilities to physically hold them for now was challenge enough, but as most ponies involved were squeamish about watching prisoners starve to death, and generally didn't favor the alternative of mass executions that did far more than border on genocide, the question of how to ethically feed all these prisoners had become something of a hot button issue.

With that monumental workload on her shoulders, Luna found it increasingly difficult to stay angry with Celestia. Well no, that wasn't quite right. She could easily stay angry. Celestia's condescension and the way she walked on eggshells around her was still infuriating, still caused an occasional flare of temper, but she felt increasingly petty for brooding over it.

While making her customary dusk rounds of the castle, Luna paused in front of one of the many stained glass windows. It had been put in shortly after her return from the moon, commemorating the reunion of the two sisters. Azure tears of joy adorned the glass Celestia's face. Luna remembered their wetness in her mane as she had been pulled into that embrace. She gave a weary sigh.

She means well. My sister's stresses are many, and I should not add to them.

Still, she had offered her assistance and been rebuffed for her efforts. True she was not well versed enough in legal matters to help with the trial, nor, she had been told, was her bedside manner conducive to helping Rainbow Dash, but she was more than capable of easing the burden of Celestia's day to day duties. Yet still, her sister stubbornly refused to trust her with increased responsibilities, just as she had for the past several years ever since her return. The theoretical 'equal diarchy' that ruled Equestria was the subject of numerous jokes, albeit ones nopony would dare utter outside of whispers behind closed doors. Luna took a deep breath and held it. Counting to ten as she attempted to quell the latest flare of anger.

Tell her. Tell her everything. An honest discussion. Get it all out in the open and make her understand exactly how what she is doing is hurting you. She DOES care. She will understand if you can just find a way to explain it without shouting.

Exhaling slowly, Luna set off in search of Celestia. First an apology, and then a long overdue conversation. Unfortunately, she was proving surprisingly hard to find. She wasn't in her chambers, the libraries, or the kitchens. Finally she managed to stop a passing guard.

"You there. Where is our sister? We would speak with her."

The guard gave a quick bow. "The last I saw Princess Celestia, she was assembling the Element Bearers in conference room A."

A spark of hope. Perhaps Celestia had finally solved the issue of the Elements. If so, that was cause for great relief. After thanking the guard and sending him on his way, she made her way to the conference room. She prepared to enter, but paused upon hearing her name.

"-and you really think Luna....you think she might...?" she heard in Applejack's distinctive drawl.

The reply came in Celestia's voice. "I honestly don't know, but she has become....unstable. Prone to frequent outbursts. I fear it has only grown worse in recent days. That's why, now that I've been able to successfully reattune with the Element of Magic, I ask that you all stay here at the castle for the time being. Just to be safe."

Luna's vision blurred with tears. This couldn't be happening. She couldn't believe what she was hearing. That Celestia would go behind her back like this. But no, that was so very Celestia. Ever plotting, scheming, manipulating, and nigh incapable of handling anything in a straightforward and honest manner.

"I advise you all to be cautious. In her current state, I'm afraid Luna could be-"

"DANGEROUS?!" Luna shouted as she kicked open the door. Six pairs of eyes snapped to her. Celestia looked as if she had been caught with a hoof in the cookie jar. "That's what you were going to say wasn't it?! That I'm dangerous?! A wild beast that needs to be observed, placated, and possibly put down for everypony's safety?!

"L-LUNA! I swear I can explain!"

"I'm sure you can! You were always quite the diplomat! I'm sure you can find some way to twist this act of betrayal so that you are entirely blameless and I'M the one being unreasonable!"

"Please! Don't take this pers-"

"DON'T TAKE THIS PERSONALLY?! HOW IS ONE MEANT TO TAKE IT WHEN ONE'S KIN CONSPIRES AGAINST THEM IN THEIR OWN HOME?!"

"Luna please. Calm down," Celestia calmly pleaded as she placed a hoof on Luna's shoulder.

No. She had a right to be angry over this. Celestia was wrong. She had no right to ask for calm and act like she was the mature and sensible one here. No right to pull that same tired, condescending, holier than thou crap. Not now.

"DON'T TOUCH ME!"

Luna lashed out with a front hoof. Though she only meant to knock her sister's hoof away from her shoulder, she misjudged the distance and connected with Celestia's face. Celestia stumbled under the force of the blow and a small amount of blood trickled from the corner of her mouth. With alicorn regeneration it was hardly a scratch, but in their millennia of life, for all their sisterly quarrels, the two of them had only ever drawn blood on one occasion. Luna was too livid to care about that at the moment.

A collective gasp went up from the other five occupants of the room. Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, and Rarity all placed themselves between her and Celestia and assumed combat stances.

"What? No! You-you can't possibly take her side on this! Can't you see she's in the wrong here?! WHY WON'T ANYPONY LISTEN TO ME?!!"

Luna stomped in frustration, splintering the hardwood flooring. A nearby lamp exploded from magical pressure. The five ponies jumped backward. She could see the pendants around their necks start to glow.

"NO! STOP!"

The glow intensified as a rainbow threaded its way between them, lifting them off the ground. Behind them a tearful Celestia donned a tiara.

"NO!"

A rainbow wave rose and crashed into her. She closed her eyes against the searing bright light.

"NOOOOOO!!!"

When the light passed she was alone in deafening silence. She opened her eyes to a sterile white plain, eerily beautiful in its oppressive emptiness. One visible feature marked the impossibly barren landscape from where she stood. A massive series of short lines scratched into the ground. Tick marks. Exactly three hundred and sixty five thousand of them.

Luna opened her mouth to scream, but the airless environment produced no sound, leaving only the old familiar silence. It never stopped her from trying.

***

Twilight let the magic fade from her horn with a sigh of relief. She looked up at Princess Luna, frozen in place, staring blankly ahead with dark purple flames lapping at the corners of her eyes. Her irises and sclerae glowed a sickly red and green. With Luna temporarily incapacitated, she was now free to continue with the rest of the plan. Hopefully this was the hard part and it would be relatively easy going from here. Twilight waved a hoof and summoned the door, closing it gently behind her as she stepped out into the dreamscape.

Author's Note:

So I know I said last time that the next update would feature Twilight's rescue attempt, but I lied. The text was really piling up, and since I had enough for two chapters (one being massive compared to my usual chapter size) I decided to edit and post what I had instead of making you wait for the rest. This chapter also proofread by Sky_Wolf.

In another interesting case of waiting too long to write and letting canon characterization march on, Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep necessitated a drastic overhaul of the events in this chapter. Once it was revealed that Luna intentionally tortures herself every night with nightmares about becoming Nightmare Moon, my original plan for Twilight using the Sombra nightmare door spell on her looked a bit underwhelming. I'm glad that happened though, because I like this version MUCH better.