• Published 29th Oct 2012
  • 3,539 Views, 60 Comments

Lucidity - Antisocial Ind.



Scootaloo's life with Rainbow Dash as her adoptive mother.

  • ...
8
 60
 3,539

Chapter 1

It was another blissful day. Scootaloo woke up to the smell of pancakes and honey, just like every Monday morning. She got up, rubbing the sleep from her eyes, ready to go feast on Rainbow Dash's pancakes. Rainbow sucks at cooking in general, but she had learned how to cook decently just for Scootaloo. And some dishes, she even cooked well, as in above some others. Scootaloo walked across the puffy cloud floors to the kitchen, yawning intently, her only motivation being the golden pancakes that she knew awaited her in the next room. She crossed the threshold to the kitchen, making her way to the table on the far side, which had a beautiful stack of golden pancakes on it. Shortly after her adoption, Scootaloo and Rainbow realized that they both had a deep hatred for Mondays. After weeks of combined griping and whining about it, Rainbow Dash had an idea to make things better: they intentionally make Mondays the best part of the week. They accomplished this by Rainbow making pancakes for them. They would both get up half an hour earlier than any other day to talk and hang out before Scootaloo went off to school, and then when she was back, and Rainbow got off of her sky-watching duties, they would hang out and eat at a restaurant. Afterwards, they'd fly through Ponyville, or somewhere nearby, and find something random and fun to do. They had one rule about Mondays: no repeating the same activity twice in a row. This was sometimes a less-favored rule, usually when they found something incredibly fun to do.

"Morning, Squirt." Rainbow still called Scootaloo 'Squirt', even after she was in High School. However, unlike most parents, Rainbow had the sense to only call her that in private. Celestia KNOWS what would become of Scootaloo's social life if somepony heard Rainbow Dash call her 'Squirt'.

"Morning, mom! How you feeling this morning?"

"Not too bad. You tired?"

"Nah, I could do a sonic rainboom," she replied jokingly. So far Rainbow was still the only pony to ever successfully pull of a sonic rainboom, and also happened to be able to pull one off at will.

"Now now, calm down Scoot. We wouldn't want you breaking any of my records this morning, would we?" They both shared a lighthearted laugh before Rainbow brought the syrup and butter over to the table. Smiling, they ate and talked, sometimes both at once, enjoying their time together. After they cleaned up the mess, Scootaloo grabbed her backpack and prepared to fly to school. On her way out the door, Rainbow stopped her, gave her a kiss, and told her to have a good day.

"I will, mom. Thanks!" She turned back towards the exit, and left. Rainbow waited for five seconds before following. She got to the edge of the cloud that her house sat on top of, and watched her daughter fly away, smiling gently; just as she did every morning, without Scootaloo's knowledge.


Scootaloo was not entertained by this crap. Her teacher, a substitute, was this old, mean witch of a mare who was still living like it was 40 years in the past. She banged her ruler constantly to maintain the attention of the class, shouted at even the slightest hint of confusion, and could not stand argument of any type. Which was fine by Scootaloo, as she loved messing with these types of teachers.

"So the Griffins, those blundering fools, attempted to take on the Equestrian Military, which had only the year before gone through a gigantic size and might increase to fend off the dragons. Those idjits thought that they could take us, but they were wrong! Hahaha. Yes, Scootaloo?"

"Well, it sounds to me like they just wanted a little more freedom from Equestria. I mean, back then it seemed like they were our subjects just to be taxed and used for personal gain." This, of course, was complete trash. Scootaloo didn't believe it, and only did that to see if the teacher would take the bait; and take it she did.

"WHAT!? Young lady, I shall have you know that the Griffin Tribes of that time were savage beasts who FED ON PONYKIND! How DARE you question our previous military engagements of the- STOP LAUGHING AT ME!" Scootaloo wiped a tear from her eye.

"Hahaha, sorry, I can't help it! You're HILARIOUS when you're angry, ma'am. AHAHAHA!" Scootaloo laughed at the sarcastic way which she said ma'am, finding the teachers face priceless. A few other students were laughing, none as hard as Scootaloo, but they still laughed.

"Go to the Principles office, NOW!" Laughing, Scootaloo gathered her things and complied, glad to get out of her Equestrian History class.

"Oh man," she started to herself, "if it wasn't for the constant substitute teachers I'd NEVER stay awake in that stupid class." She went silent for a few moments as she walked, then thought about what this would mean for Scootaloo; she'd get a referral, which would then have to be signed by her mom. However, that probably wouldn't be an issue, as Rainbow usually sided with Scootaloo, having done basically the same antics back in High School herself. Scootaloo smirked at the thought. Just another reason to love my mom. She's the freaking best!

She shook off this thought when she reached the Principal's office. She opened the door and walked right up to a special chair, and sat in it. This chair was her chair. It was even given the colloquial name "Scoot Chair". Scootaloo sat with a bored expression as her Principal droned on about how she should behave better, blah blah blah, tell her parents, yadda yadda yadda, the same old. After a few minutes of this crap, she was finally able to get out of the room, but not without making her backpack heavier by one paper-that-needs-to-be-signed-by-her-parent(s)-or-guardian(s).

At this point, it was time for lunch, and Scootaloo made her way to the cafeteria. She got her meatloaf, and joined her friends Sweetie Bell and Applebloom.

"Hey, Scoot, that was hilarious!" said Sweetie Bell, patting her friend on the back.

"Yeah, ya sure made her mad! Why she was redder an' Big Mac was by th' tahm y'all left tha room!"

"Aw, shucks, guys, I was just doing what I had to. I mean, we gotta do SOMEthing in that class that's beneficial, right?" They all cackled at Scootaloos joke, and began to eat. Unfortunately for them, their loud, obnoxious good-time-having caught the eye of some rather....unwanted attention.

"So, Scoots, I wan't impressed with your little joke there in History." It was Dart Strongwing. He and Scootaloo were rivals, and Dart always teased Scootaloo about how he could fly so much faster than she could, mostly because he played sports and trained. "Why do you always gotta be the center of attention? Does your mom not give you enough attention at home?" Scootaloo was starting to fume. "Oh, wait, that's right, Rainbow Crash isn't your mom. Your real mom didn't want you." Sweetie Bell and Applebloom looked at each other, mouths open, knowing exactly what was about to happen. But it was already in motion by the time they looked back at the two. Scootaloo had bucked him in the gut. Shed then pushed him over and straddled him, using this advantage to pound the crap out of his face. She didn't stop until a teacher pulled her off. Scootaloo shook off the teacher and walked right to the Principal's office, knowing she'd have to stay there until Rainbow Dash came to pick her up.


Rainbow Dash opened the door and walked in. Her stern gaze fell upon Scootaloo, then to another pegasus boy with a messed up face, and an older, pudgy earth pony, the boys mother. She looked at her and her gaze softened.

"Ma'am, I'm so sorry about this." The irritated mare got up unexpectedly and got close to Rainbow Dash, looking her in the eyes.

"Sorry? Sorry!? LOOK at him! You need to control that crazy little loose cannon!" Rainbow was shocked, so much so that she didn't even register the flare of anger at her calling her only child a crazy cannon.

"Well, I mean, it's not like she just attacked your son. She was obviously provoked-"

"LIES! My little Dartanian would never say anything bad about anypony! Ever!"

"That's a lie!" Scootaloo yelled, tears in her eyes. "He made fun of me for being adopted!" Rainbows eyes lit up, and she got an angry expression on her face. The Principal decided she had to act quick to fix the situation.

"Look, I know we're all mad, but the school can take appropri-"

"See? Your little Dartanian isn't such a little angel." The woman looked mortified.

"How dare you!" she seethed, looking murderous. "She lies! You should have just left her back in the orphanage with all the other freaks and kept her away from the normal ki-" she didn't even finish the statement. Rainbow, quite literally, attacked her, beating the pompous mare in much the same way Scootaloo beat her son.

"Oh my Celestia! Security!" shouted the Principal.

"Yeah, get her mom!" Scootaloo cheered. Rainbow stayed at it until the Security Resource Officer dragged her off of Mrs. Strongwing. Rainbow broke the officers grip, called Scootaloo over to her, and they flew home.


"And then you just like ATTACKED her, and it was so AWESOME!" Scootaloo praise. Rainbow Dash had a worried expression and didn't respond to her daughters praise. "What's wrong, mom?" Rainbow looked at Scootaloo sternly.

"Listen very carefully." She did. "What you and I did was wrong. We should not have done what we did, especially not me. I set a bad example and I'm sorry for that. Scootaloo, I was exactly like you, but I realize now that that was not the right way to behave." Scootaloo was bewildered. She attempted, and failed, to understand how Rainbow Dash of all people told her that fighting was wrong. "Furthermore, what you did in History wasn't nice, either. Got it?" Scootaloo's mouth was ajar.

"B-but, he, you, I just-"

"No, Scootaloo. Beating someone up is never the answer. Unless you're in physical danger, you should never resort to violence. I learned my lesson back in Cloudsdale, and I learned it the hard way. I don't want that for you, OK? Promise me you won't get into more fights." Scootaloo began to protest, but a harsh look from her mother made Scootaloo concede.

"Fine."


The rest of the week passed without incident. Dart and his small gang kept away from Scootaloo, probably out of fear. Dart of course gave some crap about not caring, which was typical of people like him. Yes, everything appeared to be going well, until that Friday afternoon. Both of them were getting ready to go out and eat when they heard a knock at the door. Rainbow went to see who it was, as she wasn't expecting anypony. She was surprised to see two suit-clad pegasi, one grey, the other one darker and shorter. The shorter of the two spoke first.

"Ma'am, are you Rainbow Dash?" Scootaloo peered out at the two, visible in the hallway from the door.

"Yeah, who wants to know?" The other one spoke this time.

"Is that the filly known as Scootaloo?" Rainbow looked back at Scootaloo quizzically. Scootaloo just shrugged, and Rainbow turned back to the two gentlecolts.

"Yeah, why?"

"Ma'am, we're with Filly Protective Services. You have been declared an unfit parent, and until you can prove otherwise, we are required to take Scootaloo back to her Orphanage. This is only a temporary matter." No!

"Yeah, listen, buddy, that's not gonna happen, right, Scootaloo?" Scootaloo had a sinister look on her face as she walked up next to her mother, unwilling to comply.

"That's right. I'm staying right here. I am not going back to that place, and you can't make me." Her voice cracked on 'make', and tears were almost welling up in her eyes as she remembered how lonely and sad she felt. Rainbow would die before letting anyone touch her Scootaloo.

"I'm sorry, but this is not for any of us to decide. She needs to be-"

"Like HELL I'm letting you take her to that place. If she goes, I'm going with her."

"I'm sorry, but you can't do that." Rainbow had murder in her eyes.

"WHAT!? And just why the buck not!?"

"Because the point is to remove her from your custody until fitness as a parent can be determined."

"FITNESS AS A PARENT!?" Scootaloo screamed. "She took me in when I was 12 from an orphanage, fed me, gave me a great house to live in, and makes sure I am getting an education. How is she not a good parent?"

"Listen, that will be determined in court, but for now, you have to come with us." As he said this he reached out towards Scootaloo. He was almost to her when Rainbow stuck out a hoof with lightning speed and pinned the mans arm against the door frame, almost breaking it. She put her face right next to his, eyes communicating all the horrible things she would do if he tried to continue.

"Buck. Off!" On the second word, she used all her might to throw the stallion five feet backwards. His partner immediately took action, attempting to leap on top of Rainbow Dash. She turned, expecting a large weight to come crashing down on her. It never came. Scootaloo got between the two and bucked the stallion in the face, sending him falling to the ground, sputtering.

"Yeah! You want some mooooahhh WOAH!" Rainbow grabbed her daughter, turning her so that they were face to face. She talked hurriedly and quietly so the two males would not hear her.

"Listen to me, fly as fast as you can to the Apple Family Farm. Don't let ANYpony see you. When you see Applejack, tell her that you need to stay there secretly, and tell her I said 'We're even'. She'll know what it means. Now go!" Scootaloo began to question. "GO!" Scootaloo turned and flew as fast and hard as she could into the woods, making sure not to be seen. When she reached the treeline, she looked back up to her house and saw the two stallions guiding her mom away - in hoof-cuffs!? She wanted so bad to go and help her mom, but Rainbow's words still echoed in her head. She knew she had to follow them to the letter, and began her trek to the Apple Family Farm. She let the events that had just transpired wash over her, and she began to cry slow, bitter tears as she flew. She cursed Mrs. Strongwing under her breath, swearing to show that prissy bitch hell for this. But for now, she focused on follow her mothers instructions.

It was a long time before she reached the farm using the route that she had chosen. When she finally arrived, it had gotten dark, and the lights were on in the Apple Family house. She could hear them having a good time at the dinner table, as Applejack was telling some funny story that had everyone all riled up. Nervously but quickly, she walked up to the door and rapped on it three times. Big Macintosh answered the door chuckling a few seconds later. He smiled at her.

"Hey thar, Scootaloo. How are y'all doin' tonaght?"

"Um, I'm fine, is Applejack here?"

"Eeyup."

"I, uh, need to speak with her, its urgent." Big Mac's face got serious.

"Yeah, jus' a sec. APPLEJACK! Scootaloo's ehre, she needs ta talk with ya!" After a few moments, Applejack walked out onto the porch and closed the door.

"Good evenin', sugarcube. What can Ah do fer ya? What's wrong?" she added, noticing Scootaloo's concerned expression.

"Well, you see, Rainbow told me to tell you that I need to stay with you for a while. Secretly." Applejack was very confused at this news. Seeing her confusion, Scootaloo added the most important part. "She also wanted me to tell you 'We're even.'" Applejacks face adorned an expression of shock.

"Go inside. Go on, git in there." Scootaloo rushed inside hurriedly.