• Published 28th Oct 2012
  • 4,419 Views, 267 Comments

Music Makes The Heart Grow Fonder - Yzanburg



After an amazing concert, musician David Gatzby winds up a top a tree in a very unfamiliar setting.

  • ...
15
 267
 4,419

Home Town Tour Pt.2

Chapter 6

Why is everyone stari- Oh.. right. Me.

It was later in the day now as we made our way towards the park. So far the walk had been uneventful. Unless you count as stunned silences and shocked expressions from nearly all the ponies you passed. Aside from the odd ones that chose to flee or pass out that is. I'm not sure if those count as real events or just sad happenstance. No, so far I hadn't been chased away by an angry mob or been the target of the guard so I was taking that as a good sign and rolling with it. I'll have my chance to win these ponies over eventually. At least I hope so anyways.

I guess the beings these ponies called gods had something else in mind because from behind me I heard a raspy yet utterly feminine voice yelling at me.

"Hey! You get away from her!" Why did she sound so angry? and why was her voice getting louder? 'Oh jebus she's running at me!'

Seeing as how I apparently look intimidating. Not sure how exactly, but none the less intimidating, I did the most non threatening thing I could think of before I was plowed to the ground. I layed down on my face and didn't move.

"Oh.. My.." Was all I heard before a gust of wind blew a bunch of dust into my face, but I dared not move incase the newcomer spooked and squished me.

"Uh.. Fluttershy, What is that? And what is it doing?"

"Oh.. Uhm.. David? Wha-"

"David? What's a 'David'?" Wow. She seems a little rude.

*Eep!* From where I was laying with my face in the dirt I couldn't see what was going on, but I'm guessing that Fluttershy was shrinking away under a glare of some kind from this mystery pony lady. Poor Fluttershy.

"Well.. Uhm. This is David. He's uhm.. A.. Human." Hey, she remembered!

"What's a 'Human'? Oh geez.. We have a genius over here.

"I am, thank you very much."

"Woah! It can talk?" Man she's aggravating.

"Yes, I can talk." I said as I slowly got up off the dirt road. I heard the sound of shuffling hooves so I guess the mare retreated a bit at the sight of my bipedal height. "And I'm a 'He', not an 'It', just to clarify with you, Miss...?"

"Oh uh, I'm Rainbow Dash! Fastest flyer in all of Equestria."

My, what a big head you have. "Hi, I'm David. it's a pleasure, I'm sure."

I don't know why, but for some reason this colorful pony just rubs me the wrong way. But who am I to judge, I'm the weirdo here anyways. Maybe she's normal here and everyone respects her ego like some kind of lost relic? What a weird place this is.

"You bet it is!" Riiiight..

"Anyways, I have to go, weather duties and what not. Catch you later Fluttershy. It was nice meeting you what ever your name is."

And with that she took to the sky and zoomed to the north, leaving behind a trail of rainbows in her wake.

"Well she was... Pleasant."

"Oh.. I'm sorry David, I know she can be a handful at times, but if you get to know her I'm sure you guys will be good friends." Oh please, not the smile. Not the smile... Damn it.

I let out a sad sigh as I reached up and held the bridge of my nose.

"Okay, I'll give her a chance. Shall we carry on?"

"Oh, okay."

***

The park was bursting at the seams with life. Ponies of all ages were enjoying the noon day sun and frolicking through the grass. Some were enjoying the scenery from checkered picnic blankets, while others were flying kites with the young ones. It just looked like a beautiful day. But that all changed when the fir- er.., when Fluttershy and I arrived. There wasn't a pair of eyes in the park that wasn't locked on the two new comers.

Fluttershy had taken to hiding behind me as I casually strode amongst the groups of bewildered ponies, giving a casual nod or a smile as we wandered by.

Oh man this is so weird. Why is this so awkward? What do, what do?

Then I heard it. It was soft at first, like a calm breeze in the summer heat, or the spray of water as it crashes onto land. It was music, and it was beautiful.

taking this as a sign, I gave a nod of reassurance to the yellow mare behind me before I made my way towards the source of that enchanting noise, all the while casually taking my guitar off my shoulder and intertwining my music with the mystery artist. The way the notes just flowed together felt.. Right. Like it was meant to be heard together. It was exhilarating.

Slowly striding over the crest of a small hill I saw her. A mint green unicorn with a lighter green mane adorned with a white stripe. She had her eyes closed in intense concentration, but from here I could just make out her brow furrowing as she caught on to the invading noises that were now invading her ears, unimpeded by the hill.

She didn't open her eyes though. She just adapted to my rhythm and continued to strum away on her lyre. It was indeed beautiful to see. As well as to hear. Taking a few steps closer, I glanced down at the timid pegasus near my feet and tried to encourage her to join in. She seemed apprehensive at first, but after a few gentle nudges and a calm, reassuring smile, she began to sing. There were no words to the song, but there was feeling. It started out soft in nature. Very quiet. You could only really hear it if you were within her proximity, but it slowly began to build in volume and passion. I watched as Fluttershy closed her eyes and really got into the song we were creating. The unicorn beside me finally opened one eye and glanced my way. She faultered in our song, but only for a moment before she recollected herself and continued to play. I was surprised she took that so well. I guess music really does bring people together. Go figure.

Glancing up from my guitar and the two mares beside me I saw that the stunned crowd from earlier was slowly advancing on us. Still timid as to my nature, but more curios than afraid now. I broke out into a smile as I continued to strum my guitar. Fluttershy continued to belt out the wordless melody as the unknown mare plucked furiously on her strings. And as the song died down, I thought I could faintly hear the gathered crowd humming along.

As the song finally ended I looked up and was shocked. The crowd was cheering and hollering and stomping their feet. All of the attention was directed at us. They no longer cared that I was weird looking, or even scary looking. They accepted me through my music. And for that I was grateful for. I smiled down at the pegasus to my left as she looked around at the crowd then up at me, a blush growing heavily on her face. Then I felt a tap on my shoulder. Turning around I saw that it was the green mare whom we had played with just moments ago.

We shared a smile. A whimsical, care free smile.

"Hi, I'm Lyra, Lyra Heartstrings."