• Published 28th Oct 2012
  • 4,417 Views, 267 Comments

Music Makes The Heart Grow Fonder - Yzanburg



After an amazing concert, musician David Gatzby winds up a top a tree in a very unfamiliar setting.

  • ...
15
 267
 4,417

What Could She Want With Me...

Chapter 23

The sun rose high over the tree tops, illuminating four prone forms as they slept, blissfully unaware to the songs of birds as they welcomed the new day and the feeling of fresh dew as it coated the ground they slept on. The wind gently caressed their faces in the morning light as fallen leaves danced their way to their new homes on the forest floor. It was a beautiful day, guaranteed to take the breath away from anyone lucky enough to witness it.

I let out a soft groan as he sat up from my place of rest. The smell of eggs and pancakes gracing my nose as I lazily stretched my limbs. I winced at a sudden pop in my back before standing up and investigating the smell. As it turns out, Twilight and Fluttershy both brought some cooking supplies and were whipping up a healthy breakfast for the four of us.

Fluttershy was the first to notice me as I stepped up to their little kitchen in the woods.

"Oh, good morning David. You're up early." She said with a tired smile before she turned back to the pancakes she was working on. At the mention of my name, Twilight looked up as well and bid me a good morning with a smile of her own.

"Morning Shy, Twilight." I said with a yawn as I took a seat near the two pony cooks. "Yeah, I guess it is a little early, but that just smells so good! I'm actually surprised spike isn't up already."

As if on cue, Spike began to snore up a storm. A few small birds decided to leave there perch up above while chirping blatant obscenities towards the snoozing purple dragon. The three of us shared a little chuckle before focusing back on the cooking.

I wasn't long before we were all seated around a fire, happily enjoying our breakfast. Spike joined us soon after the fire was started, albeit a little groggy still. We ate in relative silence. content to just enjoy each others company and the sounds of nature surrounding us.

Once we were all finished with breakfast, we decided to go take a dip in a nearby creek. The gentle flow of water was a beautiful sight to behold as the morning suns rays reflected off of the slow moving water, lightly sparkly and illuminating the surrounding forest with a beauty rarely seen outside of paintings and photographs. It really was breath taking.

As I stepped into the creek, letting the refreshing water wash over my legs, I took in a deep breath of air and let out a calming sigh. This is what camping is all about. Hanging with friends, enjoying nature, and just living.

Twilight, Fluttershy and Spike joined me soon after and we were laughing and splashing about in no time. The crystal clear water washing away any worries we had for the time being, leaving us free to enjoy our time out here.

My laughter came to a halt when I noticed Spike had a queasy look on his face. "Hey Spike, you okay there?" I asked as I waded over to his side. "You don't look so hot." His cheeks were puffing out and he looked like he was about to puke. Hearing the concern in my voice, Twilight and Fluttershy made there way over as well to see what was wrong. When they made it to shore Spike was ready to burst. With one last mighty intake of air, he let out a great belch and a spew of green fire. I was shocked by this. I'd never seen Spike do something like this before.

As I watched the fire float in the air, it started swirling in place before a scroll materialized out of thin air with a light popping noise. Twilight grabbed the parchment out of the air with her magic and immediately unrolled it and began to read. Her face went from a look of confusion to one of fear as she dropped the paper and began to pace back and forth.

"What is it Twi?" Spike asked, taking a few tentative steps towards his care taker before stopping a meter short. She was muttering to herself. The words incoherent to the three of us around her. Spike took a few more steps towards Twilight and placed his little claw on her foreleg. She stopped and looked down at the little dragon in confusion before opening her mouth to speak.

Nothing came out at first, but eventually she found her voice. "Wh-What could she want?" Fluttershy and I shared a look of worry and confusion before we took a place at the distraught unicorns side as well.

"What could who want?" I asked as I bent down to pick up the scroll Twilight dropped. I read it over to myself before I looked back at Twilight in confusion. "Princess Celestia wants to see me? What's so bad about that?" I asked as I handed the letter over to Fluttershy to read herself. "Isn't this a good thing?"

"No, this, is bad. You've been here for how long and I never once wrote a letter to the Princess about you? She must be so mad! What's she going to do to me?" Twilight began to mumble to herself about all the possible punishments she might endure from her not telling the Princess of my existence in Ponyville.

"Twilight, I'm sure everything's fine. She didn't sound mad in her letter..."

"Of course she didn't! She's the princess of Equestria for ponies sake! She can't just lose her composure like some half witted foal! She has to keep calm and collected!" Twilight began hyperventilating after her little outbreak and Spike was doing his best to get her to calm down with little effect.

"I'm sure she's just curious about me, that's all. I highly doubt she thinks you purposely hid my existence from her." I said as a matter of fact. Suddenly I heard glass shattering and when I looked over at Twilight her pupils were the size of pin pricks and she had a look of pure dread on her face. I was about to say something else to comfort her but before I got a chance to she teleported away.

"Uh... Spike? Where did she go?"

"Probably back to the library to worry some more." He said as he began to make his way back to the camp site, presumably to clean up and head back. Fluttershy and I shared another look before following Spike and taking down the tents and packing away all of our belongings. So much for a nice weekend in nature...


Once we had everything packed up, we headed back to Ponyville and Twilights library. When we stepped inside, Twilight was busy pacing the foyer and mumbling to herself. Spike was trying his best to get her attention but she seemed transfixed on figuring out what Celestia would do to her. Fluttershy, Spike and I all knew that Celestia wouldn't actually punish Twilight but the little unicorn seems to think she's in deep trouble.

"Hey guys," Spike said as he was trying in vain to stop Twilights pacing. "I don't think she's snapping out of this any time soon, you can probably head back home. Sorry about your weekend."

"Oh, it's okay Spike. Hopefully Twilight calms down a little..."

"Yeah, hopefully... I'll see you guys later then" Spike said before turning his attention back on getting Twilight to stop worrying.

Fluttershy and I said our goodbyes before stepping out into the evening air of Ponyville and making our way back to the cottage. The walk was rather uneventful and we spent it in silence until we got to the cottage. Fluttershy offered to make some tea as we set our belongs down by the front door. It wasn't long before we had a steaming pot of tea in our grasp and we were sitting on the little green sofa in the living room. We sat there in silence for what felt like hours, just thinking to ourselves.

"What do you think she wants with me?"