• Published 28th Oct 2012
  • 4,417 Views, 267 Comments

Music Makes The Heart Grow Fonder - Yzanburg



After an amazing concert, musician David Gatzby winds up a top a tree in a very unfamiliar setting.

  • ...
15
 267
 4,417

I Think I Just Swallowed My Tongue..

Chapter 21

"That's... Great!" I tried to keep the smile I had on my face as best as I could with the amount of emotion going through my mind. As it stood, I didn't know whether to be overjoyed or pained and depressed. I mean, on the one hand, Lyra's going to get to live her dream. But on the other hand, it could be a very long time before we see her again.

I could tell by the struggling smile on Fluttershy's face that she was having the same battle inside her head. I gave her a sidelong glance and she returned it in kind. We both knew that this was great news for her, and we we're both definitely happy, but... Where does that leave us?

"I'm glad you guys think so! I'm so so so so excited right now!" I was quickly knocked out of breath as the mint green unicorn pulled me into a tight hug and gave Fluttershy the same treatment, eliciting a startled *eep* from the timid pegasus. "I couldn't have done this without you guys, thank you so much!"

As she pulled away from Fluttershy, she sniffled loudly, trying and failing to hold back tears. When that failed, she brought a hoof up to wipe up the free flowing tears.

"I promise to write whenever I can, okay?" She said with a light chuckle as she looked back up at us.

By now I had a few manly, manly tears slowly rolling down my face as we said our goodbyes. We stood in the park for a while, just holding each other and crying with serene smiles etched on our faces, threatening to crack and melt like the last bit of ice on the lake once spring begins. It was a sad yet blissful affair that ended all too soon as we watched our mint green companion walk off into the distance onto greater things.

We stood in that spot for at least twenty minutes after Lyra left our presence, just enjoying what was left of the sunlight as it set beyond the horizon. It was a calm, sobering experience that I think was definitely needed after the unfortunate, yet amazing news of the day.

It was night fall by the time Fluttershy and I stepped through the cottage doors. Not a word was shared between the two of us as we walked home from the park. What was there to say? So I just kept my hand on her back to comfort her as much as myself as we ventured back in silence.

I decided that it was probably best to talk about this in the morning. Fluttershy didn't want to sleep right away so I made us both some tea and hunkered down on the couch. We sat there in quiet contemplation for what seemed like hours until I noticed that Fluttershy was softly snoring, laying across my lap. I lightly and methodically pet her back as I shut my eyes, letting the motions calm me down bit by bit as I slowly succumbed to slumber.

The night went by fast and when I awoke in the morning I didn't feel very rested at all. I noticed a lack of yellow on my lap so I just followed the smells of breakfast to the kitchen where I found my blanket making toast and tea. when I sat down at the table, I could see the down trodden look on her face as she idly stirred her cup of tea. It made me feel sick seeing her like this. Giving her a worried glance, I quickly ran out to the living room, grabbed my guitar and began to play a song I thought might cheer her up. I know it cheered me up.

When I began to play the song, Fluttershy gave me a quizicle look that I could only chuckle and smile as I continued to play and softly began to sing.

When I saw you wave goodbye it made me smile while it made me cry
I never thought I'd see the day, I never thought you'd walk a million miles away
But I know we all gotta grow so

These days everybody wants to find out how the story ends
So we say nothing is a possibility if you don't got your friends
And I know as time goes by we're never gonna pretend
Cause you and me will always be friends

So if you're feeling all alone remember good times or remember home
And if you question all that you see remember that you always got a friend in me
Cause I know we all gotta grow

These days everybody wants to find out how the story ends
So we say nothing is a possibility if you don't got your friends
And I know as time goes by we're never gonna pretend
Cause you and me will always be friends

These days everybody wants to find out how the story ends
So we say nothing is a possibility if you don't got your friends
And I know as time goes you'll be fast if I'm slow and we'll find
Our tempo cause we may never know how the story ends
But you and me will always be...

These days everybody wants to find out how the story ends
So we say nothing is a possibility if you don't got your friends
And I know as time goes by we're never gonna pretend
Cause you and me will always be friends

Yeah you and me will always be friends
Yeah you and me will always be friends

By the time I finished playing, I had tears streaming down my face, curling around the sad smile I was wearing. When I looked over, I saw Fluttershy giving my a look of wonder, wearing a tear stained smile of her own. I leaned my guitar against the edge of my seat and walked around the table to scoop Fluttershy up in a tight embrace.

"It's going to be okay," I told her through her pink mane. "We'll see her again soon, don't you worry about it." That only made her hang on tighter as we sat there and gently cried to ourselves on the kitchen floor. When we finally stood up, a little more composed, a sudden idea came to mind.

"Fluttershy, how do you feel about camping?"

Author's Note:

Shorter chapter this time, but I don't really like sad things and was having trouble writing this while sad at the same time. But here you go anyways, because I like you all and pushed through. You're welcome.

Probably some more to come soon, hopefully with a bit more volume to it. Enjoy!

-Burg