• Published 28th Oct 2012
  • 4,418 Views, 267 Comments

Music Makes The Heart Grow Fonder - Yzanburg



After an amazing concert, musician David Gatzby winds up a top a tree in a very unfamiliar setting.

  • ...
15
 267
 4,418

Mixed Reactions

Chapter 12

"AAAUUUUUGHGHHHHHhhhhh....." *WHUMP*

"Oh man.. That's gunna hurt when he wakes up.."

The stallion who had opened the back door had been staring at me in a stunned silence for five minutes before I went to give him a small wave. His pupils shrunk down to the size of pin pricks before he finally let forth a terrified scream that died into a small whimper as he fainted and fell to the ground near my feet.

"Oh my! Hurry, we have to help him! he could be seriously hurt!" Fluttershy rushed up to the poor stallions side and held an ear up to his muzzle to check if he was still breathing, even though I could obviously see his red coated chest rising and falling in continuous breaths.

"He's fine, David just scared the living day lights out of him. I mean, come on, who wouldn't be afraid of that face?"

"HEY!" Lyra glanced my way with a sly smirk on her face. I know where you sleep.

"Now come on, just prop his head up and let's get inside before that mob finds us."

"She's right Fluttershy, he's fine and will probably wake up anytime now. Let's just find Silent Night and see if we can hang out here until the show tomorrow." I really just wanted to eat something warm. Those sandwiches on the train were less than savory.

"Oh.. I don't know.. What if he hit his head?" Come on Shy, we're about to get lynched!

"I'll get Night to send someone out for him, okay?" Please say yes, please say yes..

"Okay..."

"Great! now let's get inside before the mob shows up."

***

*Knock Knock Knock*

"Fluttershy! Fluttershy, ya here? Now where is that girl?" Applejack knocked on the door to Fluttershy's cottage a couple more times before a very tired and grumpy looking Angel Bunny decided to throw open the front door, coffee mug in hand, and glare up at the intruding farm mare while shading his eyes from the burn of the morning sun.

"Well howdy Angel, is Fluttershy around? She was suppose ta help me wash up Winona t'day."

Without so much as a nod or sound, Angel lazily turned around and stalked inside before returning with a rolled up parchment in his little while paw then abruptly threw it at Applejack's muzzle and slammed the door shut, a few grumpy moans could be heard receding from behind the cottage door.

"What in the hay..?"

Staring at the door for a few more seconds, Applejack unrolled the paper at her hooves and read aloud what was written:

AppleJack,

I'm sorry.. I completely forgot about helping you today, but something has come up and David and I have left to Trottingham. We will be back on Saturday in the afternoon. I hope you aren't too upset with me..

Fluttershy

P.S.

Sorry about Angel, he's not really a morning bunny.

"Trottinham? Now why's that girl gone there? I should let the girls know about this. Maybe Twilight will know what's goin on."

***

As we walked through the hallways of 'The Stall' in search of Silent Night, I couldn't help but notice all of the photos hanging from the wall. They looked like pictures of Night standing with famous pony musicians. Huh, so it's one of Those kind of venues.

"Uhh... David?" Tearing my gaze from the pictures adorning the hallway walls I looked down at Lyra and Fluttershy who were frozen at the exit of the hall.

"Yeah? What’s... Oh.." The main room of 'The Stall' was packed with ponies of all colors and sizes. None of them had noticed us standing in the hall but from what I could see, there were two royal guards talking with a mare at the entrance to the joint. She seemed to be confused about what the guards were saying until she glanced my way and her jaw dropped. The guards both looked at each other before turning to follow the mare's gaze where they saw us standing there, sheepish grins plastered on out faces.

"You there! Halt, in the name of Princess Celestia!" The guards began their march towards the three of us as I frantically searched for Silent Night who seemed to be hidden rather well in the shadows. Resigned, I let out a sigh and walked in front of my companions, shielding them from the guards.

"Whoa there, simmer down. These three are one of my acts tomorrow night. What seems to be the problem boys?" Silent Night popped up, seemingly out of no where and was now confronting our two soon to be captors.

"We found this.. Thing here, scaring innocents in the streets."

"Did you actually SEE him do anything?"

The two guards looked at each other in confusion and whispered silently to one another before seemingly coming to a conclusion.

"Well... No, but we heard screaming and a mare fainted in front of it an-"

"Him." I quickly looked down at Fluttershy in shock and awe. She just interrupted a royal guard. Whoa.

"Excuse me?"

"It's a him. H-his name is David." She looked up at me with a proud smile on her face and I mouthed the words 'Thank you' to her and gently rubbed her head as the guard continued.

"What ever. When we went to question him, he bolted." They both shot me an ice cold glare which caused a bit of sweat to pool under my arms.

"Uhh.. Hehehehe well you see.. I may have, panicked a little. I honestly didn't do anything. I guess I just look a little intimidating?" Man that glare is ruthless.

Their glares hardened to an extent where I thought my head was going to explode from the pressure. The tension in the room was palpable, someone needed to break the silence.

"Well, sorry for the misunderstanding, sir. Have a wonderful rest of your day. Wha...?

"Uh.. Thank..you?"

With a nod of their heads, the two royal guards turned around and marched out of the establishment leaving a very confused trio of musicians and a stunned crowd of ponies.

"What just happened..?"

"I have no idea." Lyra was shaking her head in disbelief as she stared at the door of the venue.

"Well now that that's all cleared up, why don't I show you where you can stay for the night. I have an extra room upstairs with a few beds in it. I hope you don't mind."

"No, no not at all. Thank you Night."

***

When we arrived at the room, Silent had already told us the extensive history of 'The Stall' in excruciating detail. Stopping at every picture in the hallways and telling us about each and every memory that he held so dear. Before he left to tend to his customers he gave us the key to the room and a folded up map of the town. With a curt nod of his head and a brief set of waves from us, we unlocked the door and walked into our room for the next couple days. The wall of dust that greeted us was less than expected and left us sneezing and coughing as we entered the room.

“Well isn’t that just *ACHOO* wonderful.. *sniff*”