• Published 25th Oct 2012
  • 3,046 Views, 33 Comments

Hoof Hoof Hoof - Karkadinn



Spike introduces Pinkie Pie to the one game she can't play: Rock Paper Scissors.

  • ...
1
 33
 3,046

Spike

Hoof Hoof Hoof



“Sweet party as always, Pinkie.” Spike splashed his feet happily around his rubber ducky floatation ring, enjoying the cool, refreshing feel of fruit punch against his skin.

“You're going to be showering off all that sugar as soon as we get home, mister,” Twilight said in passing, giving Spike reason to think that his boss was missing the entire POINT of an inflatable pool filled with punch and candied orange slices.

“Aww, thanks Spikey! I think everypony's about partied out though. Say, d'you want the last chili pepper jello cup?”

“Do I?!” He made grabby hands, then took care to re-dignify himself, remembering the old greed growth incident. “Maaaaaybe,” he recovered innocently.

“Darn!” Pinkie giggled. “I was hoping to get the last one, they always taste the best. That's okay though!”

“Oh, well....” That made him feel kinda bad, actually, he had already had a ton of treats today. If he just tried to change his mind, Pinkie'd ignore it and shove the jello mold in his mouth anyway, though. This called for finessey. “How about we rock paper scissors for it?”

“Silly Spike, you know I'm not legally allowed to run with scissors anymore!”

“No, see, it's like, a little game, like flipping a coin, and the winner can get the jello cup.”

“Oh my gawsh! A game I've has never played before?! Why has no one ever told me of this?! I MUST KNOW!”

Spike floated a little away from the candy-scented snout that was grinding into his face with a grin. “Um, well, it's not really that exciting or anything. Here, let me show ya how it works. Hold out your hand. Uh, hoof.”

She held out a hoof next to his outstretched hand.

“Now, we bob it up and down three times... like this. One... two... THREE!”

“...numbers of indeterminate purpose, ah, ha, ha!” Pinkie added in a thick but (to Spike, at least) indecipherable accent.

He blinked at her, then shrugged and moved on. “Okay, so, on THREE, you're supposed to make the symbol for a rock-” he made his hand into a fist, “a paper-” he flattened his hand out, “or scissors,” and finished by displaying his hand with the top two and bottom two fingers bunched up and separated from the other two. “Rock smashes scissors, scissors cuts paper, and paper covers rock.”

Pinkie frowned, her forehead wrinkling. “That doesn't sound right. I think rock should beat everything. It's a great big smashy rock!”

“But then no one would choose paper or scissors!”

“Well, at least rock should be able to beat PAPER, dontcha think? I mean, what kind of paper could beat a big ol' tough rock?”

“Maybe it's magic paper. Yeah, that's it. It's magic paper with a spell written on it.”

“Okay, I guess I can buy that.”

“So, are you ready?”

“Ready!”

“One... two... three! Woohoo, paper beats rock!”

“I'm not making rock! I'm making scissors!”

They stared together at her hoof for a moment. “Are you sure? It looks like a rock to me.”

“No way! I'm totally making scissors See? Snip snip snip!” She wobbled her hoof back and forth.

Spike sighed, knowing Pinkie well enough to get that he'd never win if he made an argument out of it. “Okay, okay, how about best outta three.”

“You're on!”

“One... two... three!”

“Yeah, take that, dumb ol' rock! Get derockified by my papery paper! See how it floats in the breeze like a graceful ninja assassin? WhooooOOOoooooOOooo....”

“Uh, Pinkie, it still looks like you're doing rock to me,” Spike pointed out hesitantly, fidgeting with his tail as he watched her wiggle her hoof back and forth in a way that almost made him seasick. The things he went through for spicy jello.

They looked at her hoof and looked at it and looked at it some more.

“Maybe you're doing it wrong,” Pinkie finally said.

“How am I doing it wrong?” Spike huffed, crossing his arms in mild offense. “You're the one making the symbols wrong!”

“I am not! You probably taught me wrong so you could milk me for sweet, sweet free wins. It's okay Spike, I'm on to you.” She leaned down at almost a right angle to nudge him with her elbow. “Ya cute widdle sabotager, you!”

“You mean saboteur, Pinkie,” Twilight said without looking while she was cleaning up the last of the chips from the snack table. “Sabotager isn't a word.”

Spike slapped a hand over his face. “Wow, duh, of course you can't make paper or scissors symbols, Pinkie! Your hoof... is a hoof. No fingers like this, see?” He wiggled his fingers into scissors and paper again, and then did a few random sign language symbols he'd learned from Twilight just for funsies. “I'm not really that hungry anymore anyway, you can have the jello.”

Pinkie looked over at the jello and then back at Spike's hand, seeming unconsoled. “But... but I want to play the gaaaaaammmmeee,” she said with a huge pout.

“Ain'tcher fault ya don't have the digits t'wiggle, sugarcube,” Applejack put in kindly, patting Pinkie on the back. The other five had noticed the minor commotion and had drifted over to Pinkie to see what was up.

Grabbing the jello and tossing it over to Pinkie, Spike watched her swallow it whole but didn't see her face perk up one little bit. This was a real downer.

“Come on Pinkie, it's not even that fun a game anyway!”

“B-but I don't know that,” Pinkie said with a little shake in her voice, “because I can't play it! Whoever heard of a game Pinkie Pie can't play?! Nopony!” She straightened up, her voice gradually raising to Royal Canterlot Voice volume but with a high-pitched screech to it that reminded Spike of bats. “THIS WILL NOT STAND!”

“But Pinkie, you are standing,” he pointed out confusedly.

“I mean, I mean, I must find a way to play this wonderful game!” She brightened. “I know! I'll just carve my hooves, I'll get Rarity to use Applejack's whittlin' kuhnife! Rarity, AJ, you gotta help a pony down on her luck! CAN YOU FIND IT IN YOUR HEARTS TO MUTILATE MY HOOFIE?!”

“They still wouldn't be able to move, dear, and isn't that the point of the whole scenario?” Rarity quickly noted to Spike's relief. That was Rarity for ya, always thinking about how to keep other ponies from uglifying themselves. Except when mud or cucumbers were involved. “You wouldn't be able to change one hoof from paper to scissors or what have you.”

“Awww.” Pinkie gave AJ back her whittlin' knife, who snatched it with a look of possessive suspicion. “I guess I'll just have to come up with some other way to play. Hm.”

“Ya know Pinkie Pie, maybe it's okay if'n you can't play every darn game under the sun,” Applejack put out. “Maybe you just need to learn to accept that some things just ain't meant for ponies to do. Just like Spike here can't make a Sonic Rainboom and I can't buck apples with magic.”

Pinkie laughed so loudly that Spike almost went under the punch from flailing in surprise while everypony else in the room started.

“Ohhhh, Applejack!” She sighed happily. “I thought we knew each other better than that by now! Me, accept the common laws of physics governing mundane reality? Yeah, that's not happening. What is happening is that I'm gonna figure out a way to play rock paper scissors.” Her eyes narrowed in determination. “No matter what it takes, I will not let this tragic birth defect beat me.”

Spike gulped and held up a hand. “Hey, Twilight? I want it noted for the record that whatever happens, I only meant well.”

“So noted,” Twilight acknowledged with a nod and a flurry of telekinetic scribbling.