• Published 25th Oct 2012
  • 6,994 Views, 119 Comments

Follow the Melody - Astrocity



Lyle Hartston finds himself in Equestria. He meets Lyra Heartstrings. Human to pony story.

  • ...
14
 119
 6,994

The Bees

I woke up to the throbbing pain in my head. Being bucked in the head by an apple farmer like Applejack does that to you. I probably lost a few brain cells from that kick. Looking at the window, I saw that the sun was high up, meaning I woke up pretty late in the day. I sat up on my bed, gingerly touching the back of my head where I had been kicked. I winced at the sharp pain as my hoof made contact. There was a small bump on my head but nothing an ice pack couldn’t fix.

I kicked off the covers and lazily made my way to the door. I passed by my saddlebag still filled with all my stuff from last night, including my soaked costume. Ick, I should probably get that washed soon, but not now. I trotted downstairs, hoping to find an ice pack and maybe some pain relievers, if ponies had any.

When I walked into the kitchen, neither Lyra nor Bon Bon was around, leaving me alone in the house. I noticed a note on the fridge.

Lyle,
Went to the park to earn some bits. Bon Bon left to work at her store. In the meantime, stay OUT of trouble. If you decide to go out, be sure to be back before dark.
Lyra

After I had finished reading the note, I planned out today's agenda. So I have the whole day to myself. I still have to find a way to pay back Lyra. But how? I thought about how I would go spending my day as I grabbed myself an apple from the fridge to eat. I found an ice pack and filled it with ice from the freezer and held the pack to the tender bump on my head. I didn’t find out where the medicine was kept, but after holding the ice pack on the tender spot for a while, the pain had dulled considerably. Once the pain had been treated, I emptied the ice pack and put it away. I decided I would look around town to kill some time, and with that I headed out the door.

The decorations from Nightmare Night were taken down, and ponies around were minding their own business. There were ponies pulling carts. Some stopped to chat, while others trotted toward their destination. Things were pretty normal around here, for a world inhabited by ponies that is.

I wandered around town hall and around the market. There were stands setup selling fruits and vegetables of all kinds. I saw a mare and a stallion yelling and arguing as they haggled over the price of cherries. The mare was winning. Looking around, I saw a store that sold quills and sofas. I thought it was pretty random for a store to sell the two things of no relevance to each other, but hey, what did I know about ponies or business?

Next to a store selling gems and jewelry, I found Bon Bon's candy store. How did I know it was Bon Bon’s? The three pieces of candy on the store’s sign, similar to Bon Bon’s cutie mark, might have had something to do with it. I stopped by the candy store and said hello to Bon Bon, who was behind a counter. "Hiya Bon Bon. Is this your candy store?" I asked.

"Sure is!" she replied, grinning. There was an assortment of candy in the store. There was candy corn, chocolate, bonbons (why am I not surprised?), and other types of candy. While I was perusing the sugary goods, reminding me that I never got a single piece of candy during Nightmare Night after the ‘incident’, Bon Bon noticed me practically drooling at the sight of the treats.

She chuckled at this. "Lyle, would you like some samples? I made these myself."

I broke my gaze from the sweets to look at her. "Of course I would like some! You made all these?"

"Yep! Let me just get you a bag." She grabbed a white paper bag and began pouring a variety of candy inside it. She gave me the bag, which I gladly took with my mouth; having spent yesterday constantly using magic to do all kinds of crazy things, I held off using any magic spell until I recovered from it.

"Tanksh, Ron Ron ," I said with the bag in my mouth. She gave a wave as I left the store.

I walked toward a park bench with my bag full of goodies and sat down, savoring each piece of candy as I popped them into my mouth with relish. The sweetness of the bonbons overwhelmed my taste buds – the sweet, creamy chocolate melting in my mouth. I let myself drown in the sea of chocolaty goodness and delight. As I sat there eating my treat, I couldn’t help but let my mind wander, always drifting toward the subject of home.

Home. I wonder what's happening back at home. I thought about being human again and watching My Little Pony. Out of curiosity, I did what Lyra did in the show and sat like I did when I was human. It was uncomfortable since my equine body was not used to such a position. It felt strange that the way I had been sitting for most of my life was now unsuitable to my new body. How can Lyra sit like this? My back is killing me!

Most of the ponies who walked by didn't even notice the green unicorn colt sitting like a human, but some of them did a double take when they walked pass me. I got looks of surprise from some of them, probably because they thought I was Lyra or something since she was the only pony who ever sat like this, at least according to my knowledge of the show. When watching everyone’s reactions lost its entertainment value, I decided it was time to take another look around Ponyville.

I still needed a way to find bits, and I doubted ponies would hire colts my age. While looking around, I noticed a building with a music note on the sign of the store. I was practically ecstatic at seeing the music store. Music was a hobby and passion of mine. I mainly played guitar back at home, but I also learned to play all sorts of instruments in my younger years.

I cantered into the store where I saw different instruments on display. Acoustic guitars hung on one side of the room. Violins, violas, and cellos lined another side of the room. There were drums of different sizes in the center of the store. In the back of the room, I saw a dark brown stallion with jet black hair. He seemed about middle aged, and his cutie mark was two sixteenth notes linked together. Behind him were more instruments such as a trumpet, a flute, and a clarinet. I noticed that this store didn't have many electronic instruments.

While looking around, the stallion spoke up. "Need something, kid?" he asked.

"Oh, I'm just looking around. How much does this acoustic guitar cost?" I pointed at one of the guitars hanging.

"That? 150 bits," he said.

Damn. That is a lot, and I don't have a single bit on me. But I really want that guitar. I guess I'll have to earn the bits to payback Lyra AND to pay for a guitar. I turned my attention back to the stallion. "Alright, that’s all I wanted to know, thank you." With that new information in mind, I left the store but not before giving that guitar one more glance.

I had to find some way to earn some bits. It seemed like my problems were becoming more related to money now. I had to think of an idea that'll earn me some cash. Lemonade stand? No, that'll take me forever. Selling cookies? I don't even know how to bake. I could always sell a kidney, but I’m not that desperate yet. God dammit! What the hell can I do to get some bits around here?!

While I was lost in my thoughts, three fillies riding a scooter-pulled wagon skidded to a stop in front of me. "Hiya Lyle! Wanna come with us to our clubhouse? It's at my farm. Now that yer a Cutie Mark Crusader, you gotta see it," said Apple Bloom.

Since I'm not doing anything, I might as well. "Sure, Apple Bloom. So, uh, I just ride in the wagon?"

"Yep! With Scootaloo driving, we'll get there in no time," replied Sweetie Belle. Scootaloo held a prideful grin at the remark.

I hopped into the wagon between Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom. They didn't have a spare helmet, so out of the four of us, I would be the only one who would most likely get seriously injured in an accident. We sped through Ponyville, nearly colliding with one or two ponies as Scootaloo drove us to Apple Bloom’s farm. The wagon was cramped with my addition to the vehicle. The other two didn't really seem to mind, it was too close for comfort for me. Apple Bloom sat behind me, while Sweetie Belle sat in front. During the ride to Sweet Apple Acres, Apple Bloom clung to me from behind, both hooves wrapped around me. With me being between Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle, I had to sit in an awkward position where I sat like I would when I was human. Also, sitting on my tail didn’t make it any more comfortable for me. I hope we get there soon. My legs are falling asleep.

Fortunately, we got to Sweet Apple Acres without any accidents. Going deeper into the apple orchards, we finally came upon a clearing with the clubhouse in sight. It looked just like it did in the show. It was a shade of red with windows, a door, and a ramp leading up to it. For a clubhouse, it looked pretty amazing, especially since it was refurbished by a couple of kids.

When we got to the clubhouse, we hopped off the vehicle and went up into the clubhouse. The walls were yellow and decorated with drawings made by the fillies. Pink drapes decorated the windows and a single lantern hung in the center of the room. They also had a table with papers listing ideas for cutie marks; most of them were crossed out. If it weren’t for how girly the whole clubhouse looked, I totally would have wanted this as a kid.

"Ah think we should welcome our very first new member since we formed this club. What do ya'll say?" Apple Bloom spoke up. The other two agreed with a nod and they all clopped their hooves together, welcoming me to the club.

"Well gee, thanks girls. I'm really glad you let me join your club," I said.

"No problem! Hey, maybe now we'll get our cutie marks faster with you around," replied Scootaloo.

"Yeah! Now that there are four of us, we're sure to find our cutie marks faster," added Sweetie Belle.

I didn't know how that was going to make them get their cutie marks faster, but I just nodded anyway.

"Great! Now that that's outta the way, let's come up with some ideas for cutie marks," said Apple Bloom.

Hmm, maybe they can help me out? They could try to find their cutie marks while I finally get my hooves on some bits. Their talents were pretty obvious, but I couldn't tell them. They had to figure it out on their own. But before I could voice out an idea, Apple Bloom spoke up first.

"Ah got it! Cutie Mark Crusaders Bee Exterminators!"

"Bee exterminators?" asked Sweetie Belle.

"Yeah! We get rid of the bees that are bothering ponies in Ponyville. We don't have to hurt them. Just move their bee hive somewhere else."

I did not like the sound of the idea, but the others seemed excited about the idea. "YEAH! CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS BEE EXTERMINATORS!" all three shouted at ear-piercing volumes. Yep, I'm gonna go deaf by the end of the day.

~~~~~~~

We stood in front of a red barn door. We all wore helmets on our heads and had pillows strapped to our bodies. I knew this wasn't going to keep the bees from stringing us, but I hadn't seen any bee hives around Ponyville. I had nothing to worry about, or so I thought.

It turned out our first stop was the barn of Sweet Apple Acres. Apparently, there was a bee hive in there. So how did we remove the bee hive, you ask? With a really long stick.

We entered the barn. A long wooden pole was held in our mouths. From the end of the stick furthest from the bee hive was Sweetie Belle, followed by Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and finally me at the front.

“I’m having second thoughts on this,” I said with the pole in my mouth.

“Don’t be such a baby,” Scootaloo replied. She jerked her head forward, sending the pole lurching toward the hive and giving it a quick jab.

Unfortunately, it took only a bit of poking and prodding for some very unhappy bees to fly out and come at us with a vengeance. “AAH!” we all screamed. We immediately dropped the stick and got the hell out of there as the swarm of bees gave chase. We ran as fast as our little legs could carry us to Apple Bloom's house while screaming at the top of our lungs.

The three fillies ran through the door and shut it behind them, holding the door shut. However, they soon realized that someone was missing, that particular someone being me.

"Hey where's Lyle?" asked Scootaloo. It was then that they heard my furious knocking and screaming at the door.

"AH! OW! APPLE BLOOM! OW! SWEETIE BELLE! OW, FU— SCOOTALOO! OPEN THE FREAKING DOOR!" I shouted. The buzzing swarm stung madly at me, the pillows and helmet doing nothing to protect me from the painful stinging.

From the other side of the door, the girls hesitated opening the door, in fear of letting the bees in and being stung themselves. But after a few moments, the pounding and screaming stopped. Following the silence was a knock. Rat tat-tat tat tap.

The girls slowly opened the door. Standing before them was a unicorn colt covered in red swollen marks. It was obvious that I did not look happy.

Apple Bloom winced when she looked at me. "Oh... you don't look so good.”

"You think?" I replied sarcastically.

"Um... Ah'm gonna go get some ice. You… just rest on the couch."

As I looked around Apple Bloom’s home, I saw a green couch, worn out by time, sitting in the living. Pictures of the Apple family hung on the walls, revealing little Applejack and little Macintosh and baby Apple Bloom. They looked so adorable when they were little. There was an unlit fireplace in the living room. The place had a rustic appeal, giving it a cozy, homely feeling. I took a seat on the couch and took off my gear, while Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo stood next to me, looking sorry for what had happened. The swollen areas even got to the part of my body that was covered with pillows. I guessed some of the bees managed to get under the pillow and sting me there.

When Apple Bloom got back, she was holding an ice pack in her mouth, and Granny Smite followed behind her with some tweezers in her mouth. "Why ain't ya a poor thing," said Granny Smith at the sight of me. "Don't ya worry, sonny. We'll have them stingers out in no time!"

Removing the stingers was pretty annoying. Each pluck of the stinger was accompanied by a small yelp or a grunt of pain from me. But after a few minutes, she was able to get every one of them out. I took the ice pack from Apple Bloom and held it to... well, every part of my body since I was stung all over. I changed the ice pack's location every two or three minutes.

"We're sorry, Lyle. We didn't mean for this ta happen," said Apple Bloom.

"Yeah, we're sorry. We didn't mean for you to get hurt," added Scootaloo.

"If it weren't for us, you wouldn't have gotten stung so much," followed Sweetie Belle.

I just couldn't stay mad at the three fillies before me, with their sad puppy-dog eyes. These fillies just melted my heart. Is there such thing as being too adorable? I smiled to show them that I didn’t hold anything against them, or at least, I think I was smiling. It’s kind of hard to smile when most of your face is swollen. "I forgive all of you. But next time, let's do something doesn’t involve bees, okay?" They all gave a nod and a smile at my response.

Applejack and Big Macintosh came through the door after tending the apple orchard. "Whoa! What in tarnation happened here?" asked Applejack as soon as she saw me.

"Oh me? I was just having the time of my life getting stung by bees and all. You know..." I said sarcastically.

"Heh, well serves ya right for scarin’ all of Ponyville yesterday with that costume."

Scootaloo jerked her head towards me. "That was you?!"

"Yeah… I didn't mean for it to get out of hoof the way it did. Sorry if I scared you, and Applejack, I said I was sorry! Seriously, even Rainbow Dash isn't apologizing for scaring everypony with a lightning cloud."

"Well at least she didn't cause massive panic in Ponyville.”

She had a point. There was a lot of property damage that came with the screaming and fleeing in terror. But it wasn’t my fault that ponies overreacted. On the bright side, every pony's fear turned away from Luna and towards me as Slendermane.

Looking at the clock, I decided I better get going. "It's getting pretty dark. I think I'm gonna head on back to Lyra's house." I got up from the couch and began making my way toward the door.

Scootaloo caught up to me and trotted by my side. "Hey Lyle. Let me give you a ride back. It's the least I could do after today.”

I was still sore all over. One ride back home couldn’t hurt. “Sure.”

We sped toward Lyra's house. After saying goodbye to Scootaloo, I walked inside. Lyra and Bon Bon were making dinner, which was some kind of pasta with hay and herbs. She heard me come through the front door. "Welcome back, Lyle. How was your day?"

"Oh, it was... interesting..."

When Lyra and Bon Bon looked up from the dishes they were preparing, they were surprised by my still slightly swollen appearance. "Lyle, what happened?" asked Bon Bon.

I shrugged. "I got a little acquainted with some bees today."

"Oh no! Are you alright?" asked Lyra as she checked on me.

"Yeah, I'm alright now. Apple Bloom and Granny Smith helped me out."

After reassuring them that I was okay, we finally ate. At dinner, I explained how I ended up being stung by bees and how the Cutie Mark Crusaders were trying to get their cutie marks. When dinner was finished, I trotted to my room, still sore all over, and read one of Twilight's books while lying in bed. I have a feeling that I'm going to be best friends with pain by the time I find a way home.