• Published 24th Oct 2012
  • 1,846 Views, 206 Comments

Absolution - BlackRoseRaven



A pony begins a journey to find his parents, lost heroes who vanished years ago.

  • ...
7
 206
 1,846

Attempted Quarantine

Chapter Twenty Eight: Attempted Quarantine
~BlackRoseRaven

The news was grim: Celestia wasted no time the moment Hevatica made her report to send out an alarm to Canterlot and the Starlit Knights, warning Equestria of the impending threat. Even if it was clear Cancer was guiding his monstrous 'bride' right to their doorstep, intent on revenge, there was no telling how the bug-like creatures Hevatica reported would act, and to what lengths they would go to try and attain food.

The moment Sleipnir and Pinkamena returned, Celestia sent the demon to Subterra to request further reinforcements from Selene and dragged Sleipnir into a tactics meeting. Sleipnir had only complained once about being covered in goo before he consented to helping, showing how serious the situation truly was... and making a lump form in Celestia's stomach out of fear for what they were up against. Sleipnir, after all, had run laughing into battle against Tyrant Wyrms.

With the aid of both Sleipnir and her scrying mirror, Celestia was able to isolate several choke points in the route the monster would likely approach them from. With her mirror, she was also able to get a glimpse of the beast they were up against... but the shape of the awful thing was horrifying, caught only in patches, so large and with so many Takers swarming around it that Celestia was unable to see anything except that the hideous thing was so enormous it would tower over even dragons.

Pinkamena was the only one who seemed to find anything to smile about ironically enough, taking a strange pleasure in the fact they had adopted her name for the monstrosities. She returned from Canterlot with Aphrodisia with good news, however, that lightened the mood a little: Selene would come herself to help preparations, and with as many demons as she could gather.

Celestia was already making plans, estimating the speed of the monster, keeping an eye on the swarm through both her scrying mirror and a Pegasus watchpoint she had ordered set up on the clouds above Ponyville, high, high in the air above, and developing where they could best attack. Discombobulation was following her around, carrying an armload of papers and supplies for her and looking unnerved by the recent turn of events, while Zecora and Meadowlark were hurriedly mixing up potions and salves for those who would be involved in the battle ahead.

Celestia estimated that the monster and its horde would reach the first choke point in the mountains by early afternoon tomorrow. Since her attempts to contact the Strange Ones' village had failed, she thought she had confirmed the theory put forwards by Sleipnir: Cancer had destroyed the Strange Ones, captured the imprisoned Queen Chrysalis, and mutated her into the monstrosity now marching against them. Celestia didn't want to think about how powerful Cancer truly was if he could perform such a dark, miraculous transformation... and she shivered despite herself, taking a moment to breathe as she shook her head out and muttered: “Nothing miraculous about it, no...”

“You're thinking about things that should not be again, Celestia...” Discombobulation said quietly from behind her, and Celestia closed her eyes, breathing slowly. Her armor gleamed over her body in the darkness... not that it was all that dark. It was the dead of night, but all of Ponyville was lit up with preparations for war, Nibelung running back and forth, demonic reinforcements marshaling outside the walls, organizers and administrators heading to the library and the first regiment of Starlit Knights sent from Canterlot as further aid and reinforcements just arriving. It was noisy, lanterns burned brightly, and Celestia could feel time slipping steadily away between her hooves like sand.

All the same, she forced herself to calm down and breathe a little, turning around to look up at Discombobulation as he shifted a bit, looking at her with honest concern on his features. She smiled faintly after a moment at him, then said softly: “We're all what we're not, aren't we?”

“I couldn't've put it better myself.” Discombobulation replied gently, then he shook his head a little and said hesitantly: “Maybe it doesn't mean much, coming from me, even now... but you are already strong enough to deal with things. I believe in that, and I believe in you, as much as I believe in unicorns and mad hatters and wonderland. You aren't a monster. You're a monster slayer.”

Celestia looked away, then she nodded a little before saying quietly: “It means more to me, coming from you, Discombobulation, than you'll ever know. I need you standing beside me on the field today... even if you don't fight. Do you understand?”

“I understand, and am honored and a little insulted. Of course I'm going to do my best to fight beside you, even if I happen to be the as useless and difficult to master as Momoko. What's the punch button do again?” Discombobulation paused, then leaned forwards and looked over Celestia meditatively. “You? You're more like Samus Aran. Before the fans started howling over the betrayal of her characterization in that one game. But I've never seen you roll up into a little ball, can you do that, Tia?”

“You should know I'm very flexible by now, Bob.” Celestia replied with a bit of a smile, and the Draconequus cleared his throat loudly before the ivory winged unicorn shook her head slowly, hesitating for only a moment before gesturing towards the library. “You're right, though. I shouldn't be wasting my time out here. The Starlit Knights will inform me if something changes, let's head to the library to discuss the plans with the others.”

“Good. Sometimes taking a step backwards in taking a step forwards.” Discombobulation said gently, and Celestia nodded slowly in agreement as she turned, heading calmly down the street with the Draconequus in tow, blue-armored soldiers, ponies, and other entities hurrying past in groups as they fortified Ponyville and went about the many other tasks that had to be seen to. “Also, Celestia, while I'm sure this is going to sound a little cowardly... are you sure you want to put so much weight and emphasis on trying to stop Frankenstein and his evil bride at the first of three possible ambushes?” A pause, and a grumble. “Wait, should have gone with a Bride of the Monster reference there. Comparing Cancer to the creature of the Modern Prometheus makes me feel like I'm comparing McGonagall to Shelley. Uh. Percy, not Mary. Confusing, I know. I bet they could put on a hell of a poetic duel with Luna and Scrivener Blooms, though... although I'm not sure who I'd put my money on. Luna only wishes he could write like either Shelley but I'm not sure their words would be powerful enough to stop Scrivener Blooms from simply beating them into the ground and declaring herself the winner.”

“I've always liked that you refer to my sister and my brother like that, Discombobulation, by each other's names... for some reason, it... it's always carried a strange reassurance.” Celestia said softly, glancing over her shoulder at the Draconequus as they approached the library door... and then she hesitated before adding quietly: “Thank you for always knowing... when to distract me from my own thoughts. I don't deserve your kindness.”

“You deserve that and much more.” Discombobulation replied gently, and then he winced when Celestia looked up at him pointedly, before grumbling and leaning down, making a face as Celestia leaned up and kissed his cheek. “Maybe Freud was right. I have a feeling you'd be like my mother, if I had a mother.”

Celestia only smiled again, then she flicked her horn to open the door and stride inside, Twilight looking up with relief as she stood up, saying quickly: “We were just trying to settle on our plans, Celestia... we could really use your help.”

“Aye, nothing is better than thy sharp and terrible mind, big sister.” Sleipnir added from where he was sitting beside Antares, before the enormous stallion smiled benevolently as he reached up and ruffled his nephew's mane, making him blush. “But Antares is beginning to show quite an excellent eye himself, and I only hope he stays much less scary than thou art.”

At the other end of the table, a little apart from everyone else, Selene slowly rose her head with a soft smile, her dark, galactic eyes seeming to shimmer strangely as she said softly: “Do not fear... Antares' path is very different from the one the Dawn Bringer walks. Is that not so, Valkyrie?”

“It is.” Celestia said quietly, as she strode towards the table and glanced back and forth: Zecora, Meadowlark, Prestige, and Greece were all in attendance as well, and the ivory winged unicorn took her seat between the dwarf and the Nephilim as she asked gently: “How's Cowlick holding up?”

“She's...” Greece hesitated, looking out over the table, and then he sighed a little at the quietly-insistent look that Antares gave him. “She's not well. Crazy mare was already back in the laboratory earlier this evening, but... even though she knows how to do things, it's like her hooves have forgotten how to work, fancy-corn. I thought at first it might be just her memory, something temporary... but when I suggested that, she yelled the entire construction process for the small engine she was trying to piece together at me and then said she just... couldn't...”

He quieted, and Zecora shook her head slowly, saying softly: “There's no magic potion that can give her that back... we'll only have to hope it's a temporary loss of track. Where is she now, Greece, Artificer? She's not still in the labs amidst such an emotional twister?”

“No, no. Thankfully, Ross came by, picked her up and brought her back home...” Greece shook his head and laughed a little after a moment. “It's funny to think of, but he really does just as good a job at taking care of her as she does of him. I've heard from a few sources that the Cowlick we know is much easier to work with than the Cowlick of the past.”

“Yeah, I can believe that. I just hope she's okay.” Twilight murmured, but then the Lich shook her head, smiling a little as Discombobulation sat himself down beside her before she gestured over the rough map laid out over the table: it was little more than a large sheet of paper that several distinct marks had been drawn on, with a bit of roughly-drawn territory around each of these points. “Look at this, though. We've drawn this up quickly and illustrated the choke points, and we were wondering if we should redistribute the attacks... if we concentrated our ambush at the second point...”

But Celestia only shook her head slowly, saying quietly: “I appreciate your desire for caution, but the most effective place we can strike is at the first choke point on the map. Does anypony know if the estimated time of arrival for the monster has changed? And are there any signs of Cancer's presence?”

“He's there.” Antares said quietly, before he could stop himself, and then he blushed and shook his head hurriedly when Celestia and most of the other eyes around the table glanced towards him. “Sorry, Aunt Tia. I... no. And Mom's been keeping track of the rate the monster's moving at...”

“No changes since ten minutes ago. We're checking every half hour, and we'll check every fifteen minutes before we leave.” Twilight replied quietly, and Celestia hesitated, then nodded slowly when the Lich gave her a quiet look. “We're going to go in as prepared as possible, Celestia. But why is it so important that we hit it at the first area? This... isn't just about revenge, is it?”

“No, I... no.” Celestia looked up, then smiled a bit and shook her head slowly. “I promise that it's more than that, and more than wanting to be out on the field myself, as part of an aggressive assault force. I honestly believe it's our first and greatest chance to stop the monster, and hopefully put a stop to Cancer as well. Furthermore, at that distance, once their Queen is dead the rest of the Takers may either disperse or may settle into the area, but that's assuming we're able to eliminate Cancer as well or they don't try to follow him, as he apparently commands this monstrosity.”

There was quiet for a few moments, Celestia lowering her head in thought before she said softly: “Our plan of attack is simple and direct. This section passes through mountainous terrain, and the straightest route towards us is over a natural highway of stone that crosses a gorge: the highway itself is heavy and wide, and the mountains on either side of the region form a natural wind tunnel. We'll exploit this: we should be able to create a tempest powerful enough in that area to force the Takers to the ground. They may attempt to rush us, but we should be able to hold their forces back if they're only able to come from one direction and forced to do so over ground. And when the Queen passes onto the bridge, we blow it out from under her with a mix of magic and explosives provided to us by Greece and other Nibelung.”

Twilight nodded hesitantly, before Celestia closed her eyes and said quietly: “But it will require a very powerful force to ensure the success of this attack, yes. Myself, Twilight Sparkle, Sleipnir, many demons... and Antares, if you're willing, I could use your aid as well to marshal the forces. Both demon and Starlit Knight respect you and will listen to you, especially acting as a lieutenant passing on my orders. It would be greatly appreciated.”

Antares nodded slowly, swallowing a little as he shifted at the thought of this responsibility, but Celestia smiled at him reassuringly after a moment, raising her head and opening her amethyst irises to look at him squarely. “I believe in you, Antares. I wouldn't be giving you this responsibility if I didn't... and if what I was saying wasn't true.”

“I shall also be there, Antares... and I speak for many in Subterra when I say that I think you are a worthy inheritor to your mother, Brynhild.” Selene added softly, her dark, deep, unknowable eyes settling slowly on the young stallion. Antares looked back at her, although he clearly seemed a little unsettled, and the two studied each other before Selene's strange smile spread a little wider. “Yes. Good.”

Antares got the feeling she was responding to something apart from his reaction, like she was reading into him far deeper than he was able to read into her... before something gnawed at his senses, and the young stallion slowly turned his head to look at the back stairs of the library. A moment later, Discombobulation did the same, scowling, before the chimerical creature asked sourly: “And precisely what are you doing here?”

“Hey. Hey. Don't be like that.” Allonym said mildly from where he was calmly, complacently sitting on the steps, his cane resting against the stairs beside him and one of his energy drinks in his laced-together hands. Most of the eyes in the room stared at him, although he only visibly winced when the Nephilim turned her endless gaze on him, flinching away a little as he lowered his head and mumbled: “One of these things is not like the other...”

“It's alright, Avatar. None of us here would do you serious harm... not at this moment in time, in any event.” Selene said softly, but Allonym didn't seem to take this quite as reassurance, only mumbling a little as he shifted nervously. “We welcome your help, with open arms.”

“Ponies don't have arms.” Allonym muttered mostly to himself, then he shifted a bit again nervously before clearing his throat, adding dryly as he half-raised the can to his lips: “Also, the whole staring at me thing? Not a great way to make me feel welcome and stuff.”

Silence fell for a few moments as Allonym sipped slowly at his drink, and then Celestia finally cleared her throat, tossing a pointed glance at Discombobulation when the Draconequus began to open his mouth before she returned her gaze calmly to Allonym. “Then if I may be direct, Allonym... why are you here? We can use all the help we can get, but we aren't all as appreciative of your... methods.”

“I know. You're mad at me. That's understandable.” Allonym shook his head a bit, saying finally as he rose a single finger, gesturing with the can in his other hand. “In all fairness, I did try and warn Cowlick the ambush wouldn't go as well as planned-”

“Maybe something a little more than just a warning was in order, Allonym... and why didn't you tell us about that giant monster on the march here?” Antares' voice was sharp, sending surprise through some of those sitting at the table, although Celestia and Selene both only looked at the young stallion quietly as he sat up and asked almost angrily: “Well? You said you were here to help!”

Allonym grumbled a bit, shifting on the stairs as he sipped at his drink again before replying in a surlier voice: “I am here to help. You don't have to be all... bossy now, Antares. That's not cool. As much as I understand your frustration, yes, but you should be mad at the giant blob, not me. The giant blob made stronger and who got the week-long vacation from reality thanks to a certain other patchwork doll in this room...”

“You know, there's a new biography of Quisling, I think you might like it.” Discombobulation remarked sourly, glowering over at Allonym, but the Avatar only sipped moodily at the large can in his grip with a grunt.

“Sure. No idea who that is.” he replied after a moment, when the metal-armed Draconequus continued to glare, and now Discombobulation huffed in response and shifted awkwardly, gesturing lamely with one hand.

“Uh, Norwegian guy, World War II traitor. The fact I have to explain this kind of takes the edge off my flow.” Discombobulation paused, then he reached up and moodily rubbed at his metallic arm, adding mildly: “You're no fun at all, you know that? And I really hate not knowing if you're just playing along and lying to me or you're telling the truth. You're confusing, and I enjoy that, but you confuse me, and that's far less fun than when everyone else around me is confused.”

Allonym grunted, and then Celestia leaned forwards and asked quickly, before anyone else could further interrupt: “What kind of help are you offering us, Allonym? Especially because you've hinted in the past that the use of your powers doesn't come without some kind of cost.”

For a few moments, the chimerical creature hesitated, and then he sighed a little and nodded, shifting on the spot. “I'm offering... direct help, direct aid. I want to take part in the defense of Ponyville and I want to offer what abilities I do have to be put to use at the bridge. I can make minor adjustments to reality and descriptions without creating a flux or a recoil, or worst of all, a paradox... and I may not be as well outfitted power-wise as your standard Draconequus-”

“Like Discord says, he's a poser.” Discombobulation said seriously, looking around the table and nodding a few times to himself. Allonym looked at him sourly, and then the chimerical creature rose his hands with a huff. “It's not my fault that you're about as big a fraud and charlatan as Mr. Satan. Your hair's a little nicer, though. Just a little. Do you think their hair gives them power or something, because that's the only explanation I can think of for why most anime characters have crazy hairdos with the spikes and the defiance of gravity and the endless bottles of hairspray that must be required.”

“Could we get Discord's help as well?” Celestia asked curiously, and Discombobulation almost fell out of his chair as Allonym looked up in surprise, the latter which was mirrored by everyone around the table. For a few moments, there was silence, and then Celestia smiled a little before she shook her head slowly and said quietly: “I'm very well aware we need absolutely all the help we can get. Discord isn't our enemy, he's simply... what he is. And he would be a great help in dealing with what's to come, even if I know what we're asking is... short term.”

“You should never ask Draconequus for anything different: how much they cooperate and how long they stay depends entirely upon their whims, after all... and well, how much they happen to like the people they're working with, but that can change too.” All the same, Discombobulation smiled a little over at Celestia, before he sighed and glanced over at Antares, adding drolly: “Do me a favor and keep the poser here. If you'll all excuse me, however, it seems that I need to go and tell a certain Draconequus that we absolutely do not require his help and want him to stay as far away from Ponyville as possible.”

With that, Discombobulation slowly climbed to his feet, standing up on the chair and bowing politely once before he swayed on the spot and clapped his hands beside his head, vanishing a moment later in a puff of neon smoke. Those gathered looked far from surprised, but Zecora turned hesitant eyes to Celestia after a moment, asking slowly: “Celestia, I trust you and the decisions you make... but are you sure this is the wisest course of action to take? Discombobulation I understand is a friend, and Allonym I see is... of a particular bend...”

“Are you calling me gay?” Allonym asked mildly, looking up, and then he sipped slowly at the drink in his hand as the zebra gave him a moody look. “I'm not gay. Not even in the happy sense of the word. Do I look happy to you? I'm never happy. How dare you accuse me of being happy? Zebras.”

“I would ask you to treat me with more respect, but I have the feeling you have some mental defect.” Zecora said mildly, and Allonym opened his mouth, then closed it slowly, only glowering at her before the zebra sighed and returned her eyes to Celestia, saying in a quieter voice: “As I recall, the Discord of this world started as a foe: how can you be sure he won't just work to bring us woe?”

It was Twilight who answered, the Lich looking up and saying softly: “It's not in his nature to, Zecora. Besides, if he wanted to attack us... there have been many opportunities since he's been freed, and even when he was forced to fight us for Clockwork World... the only reason he did was to save his own life. In a way, he was even trying to save us... better to be surrounded by chaos than death, by his own admission.”

The zebra looked for a few moments at the violet mare, and then she softened and smiled a little, saying quietly: “Twilight Sparkle, you'll never change... seeing the best in everyone, no matter how strange. I wish I could be as open-minded as you are, but my clan and I are much less open to the bizarre. We never really recovered after our dealings with Veliuona the witch, and even now... it's hard to make my views switch. But Twilight, whether or not you're of a... a different mold... I want you to know that you are still my friend when all is told.”

Twilight bowed her head with a blush, and Zecora nodded after a moment, drawing her eyes to Celestia. “So if Twilight speaks for him as well, then I suppose your plan is swell.”

“I hope so, Zecora. I'm not entirely sure how Discord will respond but... I do have faith that Discombobulation will be able to figure out one way to get him to help us.” Celestia hesitated, then she looked over at Allonym, asking quietly: “How much will you be able to help us?”

“Enough, I hope, to make a difference.” Allonym replied quietly, then he shook the now-empty can in his hand before grumbling and tossing it away, and it vanished after a moment before the Draconequus sighed and sat back, rubbing slowly at his face with one hand. “I can help with the weather conditions, my powers allow for that much. And even though I'm an absolute wimp I can stand on the front lines and draw their attention. Thanks to my uh... special position given to me by management, I'm just about indestructible. I just wish that also came with being immune to pain and actually being able to defend myself more properly.”

He quieted, and Celestia nodded slowly before her eyes turned to Prestige, asking the young mare quietly: “Would you be adverse to joining the front lines as well? We can use every little bit of magic we can get to ensure the storm is powerful enough to drive the Takers to the ground.”

Prestige traded a look with Antares, who gazed at her with concern, but then she nodded slowly... before surprisingly, Meadowlark looked up and said quietly: “I'd also like to be present as field medic... if you're okay with that, Zecora. But I know you wanted to mix up more powerful potions, and I want to respect your traditions and privacy...”

“I have no need to keep such arts secret from you, young Meadowlark... but I agree, you're ready for this, even though it will be no walk in the park.” Zecora said quietly, nodding firmly before she turned her eyes to Celestia, adding softly: “I will remain in Ponyville and mix what potions and salves that I can make... I only hope that you won't need to use them, for all of our sake.”

Celestia nodded slowly, then turned her eyes to Greece, who hesitated before he said finally: “We won't have the carbines ready before tomorrow at the earliest... and even then, we'll only have a handful assembled, fancy-corn. But in an hour, the explosives should be ready... you'll have to travel carefully, though. They'll be volatile, and I'm not sure how you plan to detonate them...”

“Leave it to me.” Celestia smiled slightly, shaking her head and asking quietly: “They'll be able to level the entire highway of stone?”

“Friend Illyria is examining the layout of the natural bridge as we speak now, he'll find the most vulnerable points to target with the few explosives we'll be able to provide.” Greece answered, the dwarf nodding quickly before he hesitated, and asked finally: “Are you sure you want to go ahead with this, Baroness? I don't doubt in your wisdom, but we are acting with great haste...”

Celestia nodded slowly, bowing her head forwards before she said quietly: “We have no choice. We have to put a stop to Cancer and his bride, and such a terrible force cannot be permitted to reach Ponyville. They'll overwhelm and destroy the village, and we can't let that happen.”

There was silence, and then Allonym snorted in amusement, murmuring: “Takers. Not bad. Simple, but somehow effective... and Cancer called his 'Queen' Griselda. But he's part chaos after all... he's as fond of wild references as any Ginnungagap entity.”

“Griselda...” Antares seemed to taste the word, then he shivered and looked over at the Draconequus, asking quietly: “What can you tell us about Cancer, and... Griselda, Allonym? Please. Please tell us. Please don't hold anything back.”

“Kid...” Allonym hesitated, then he sighed before smiling faintly, shaking his head slowly as he closed his eyes. “Alright. Fine, let's break a few more rules, why not? The worst that can happen is that I get fired, right? Well. No, worse things than that could happen, but...”

He quieted, looking over at the group as the table of ponies looked back at him, and then Allonym closed his eyes and bowed his head forwards, saying quietly: “I don't know all the details, but I can at least shed a little light on how Griselda came to be... and why Cancer was attracted to her in the first place...”

Antares stood silently beside Celestia on the wide, natural stone bridge, looking straight ahead. They were both wearing freshly-polished armor, and Tyrfing gleamed almost eagerly on the much-larger winged unicorn's back as she asked quietly: “You feel it, don't you?”

“I can hear them, Aunt Tia.” Antares whispered, and Celestia frowned a bit as she tilted her head towards her nephew, who shivered once as he stared past the open, gaping maw of the mountains in the distance, on the other side of the bridge. “Not just the buzzing of their wings, but... I hear this... humming in my mind. They're not far away now... but I know that just like I can hear them, they can sense me. They know I'm here, so Cancer knows I'm here... I'm just not sure how deep that awareness goes. If they know that you're all here, too, if they know about our plan...”

Celestia nodded slowly, looking down at the young, glossy-black unicorn before she turned her eyes ahead, saying quietly: “It may be because of your ability to see into others, Antares. Pinkamena did suggest they were telepathic and Allonym confirmed they have a hive mind. But either way, it's too late for them to turn back and it's too late for us to change our plans. Maybe this will play to our advantage, though... Cancer and his Takers may become overeager.”

The young stallion closed his eyes, nodding hesitantly, and there was silence for a few more moments before Celestia glanced over her shoulder at the sound of hooves. She smiled after a moment at Twilight Sparkle, who was wearing only her collar and her earrings, stitching flexing a little over her body as she smiled hesitantly. “We're ready.”

Celestia rose her eyes slightly, looking past the Lich: Selene, Burning Desire, Pinkamena, Hevatica, Aphrodisia, and many other demons all stood at the ready in a double-line that stretched across the wide base of the bridge, along with her golden-armored Yamato Guard, Sleipnir, Selene, and others. Behind them, Prestige and other unicorns were putting the finishing touches on a simple runic circle: very basic magic, but it would allow them to better pool all their power together. Allonym was standing near the unicorns, drinking one of his energy drinks and looking nervous, while Discord was sitting on a ledge above, slowly eating popcorn out of a large paper bucket.

Above, Pegasi had gathered some patches of cloud to form one large bed, upon which a firing line of Starlit Knights now rested with rifles at the ready. And a little ways behind them, Rustproof and Greece were working with the rest of their support crew, ensuring everything else was in order and that if they had to make a hasty retreat, they would have a clear path.

The ivory mare nodded slowly, electricity sparking through her rainbow mane as she turned her amethyst eyes back ahead and said quietly: “I'll join the unicorns in the concentration circle in a moment. Antares, I'm leaving you in charge of the front line. You need to let us know when the Takers begin their approach: we can't risk letting any of them cross that gorge.”

She paused, studying the enormous, expansive bridge: it was almost half a kilometer long and wide enough that at least thirty ponies could stand side-by-side on it comfortably. The rock was thick and ancient and worn more on one side than the other, and Celestia only hoped that Illyria was right about the placement of the explosives across the natural structure, hidden on the underside of the stone.

Then she glanced towards Antares, who was still staring forwards as well before she reached up and gently touched his shoulder, and he twitched before looking up sharply, then blushing and dropping his head forwards, mumbling: “Sorry, Aunt Tia, I... yeah. Of course, I'll do my best, I promise. I won't let you down.”

Celestia nodded slowly, gazing at him quietly before she turned her eyes towards Twilight Sparkle, saying quietly: “Tell the others to get ready. I have a feeling it won't be long now before we see the enemy, and I have a feeling that once they make their appearance, things are going to move very quickly. Let's just hope it all plays into our favor.”

Twilight nodded, then she glanced at Antares as the young stallion took one last glance down the bridge before turning. He and Twilight fell in pace, heading back to their appointed positions, while Celestia turned her gaze back forwards, amethyst eyes grim. She felt a curdling in her stomach and a distinct tingling in her veins... she felt the tenseness of the coming battle growing moment after moment, and the ivory mare took a slow breath before she closed her eyes and bowed her head forwards, murmuring: “May Odin's memory watch over us and grant us strength and victory. Let fortune favor our boldness and courage.”

Then Celestia finally turned, heading back through the battle lines: she nodded to Antares as she passed, then paused and smiled a bit when Sleipnir reached up and touched her shoulder, returning the gesture before they traded a slow nod. Then Celestia continued on her way, striding towards the circle that the unicorns had gathered around, some of them with their horns already glowing as they focused their magic.

She looked back and forth, then turned calmly around, clearly speaking to the group even as she gazed ahead and Twilight and Prestige stepped up to either side of her: “Remember. Don't just concentrate on the amplification circle and each other, our powers are going to be further enhanced by our other allies as well. Together, we'll create the initial storm: it will be up to you to maintain it for as long as possible, however, while Twilight, myself, and the others deal with the enemy.”

The other gathered unicorns all nodded: they were all dressed in the armor of the Starlit Knights, all clearly nervous but ready to do their part. Celestia glanced over her shoulder at them, then gave a small smile as she said quietly as she carefully stepped backwards so her rear hooves were within the line of the runic circle: “Don't forget to keep part of your body inside the circle at all times. Otherwise, the connection will be broken and your magic will not work as effectively.”

The unicorns nodded again, and Celestia gazed back ahead, focusing on Antares... and the young stallion flinched a bit as if he felt the white winged unicorn's eyes on him, breathing a little harder before raising his head and gritting his teeth, murmuring: “I... I got this. I can handle this. But that buzzing in my head...”

“They're going to be drawn to you, Antares.” Allonym said quietly, and the young stallion glanced to the side, somehow unsurprised to see that the Draconequus had decided to come and stand here with him, in front of the battle line: at the very tip of the spear. “Cancer hates you. And they sense you, they smell you, precisely because of that. They're Takers: what better thing to take back to their greedy master than you?”

Antares shivered a little, and then he and Allonym both turned their eyes ahead again, looking down the bridge before the Draconequus sighed and swung his cane up to absently slip it beneath one arm, pulling out his journal and a fountain pen. He let the book spill open, the pages rustling before he looked down and smiled, laughing a little as he poked at a line. “Hey, I remember writing this... these silly little tidbits I record, they're often what I'm proudest of, you know? No, it's... stupid... what few parts I actually am...”

He halted, then shook his head and smiled slightly, closing his eyes as he murmured: “Not important right now.” Allonym flipped absently through the book, then settled on a blank page, glancing up before he murmured quietly: “Descriptions, descriptions. I actually hate descriptions, you know? But you don't half-ass things, that's what I've always believed.”

“Okay, here we go...” Allonym's fountain pen scratched quietly over the paper, and a soft rumbling filled the air before all eyes glanced up in surprise as the skies above darkened slightly, a pall of clouds slowly rumbling in from all around them with surprising swiftness. A moment later, several dry, dead leaves breezed quietly by, and Antares wrinkled his snout in surprise as one tickled along his muzzle before the Draconequus smiled slightly. “Okay, okay. Too much flourish, got it.”

The breeze picked up, became an ill rasp that groaned quietly in the natural tunnel formed by the rounded gorge: it bit like winter's breath that had hidden from spring, felt as cold as the northern wind. Allonym grunted as he looked ahead, closing the book before he tucked it away as several ponies shivered as the bitter wind dug into their bones as the edge of it brushed against them... but at least the looming mountains to either side gave them some shelter. There was no protection out over the bridge itself, as dust and pebbles were brushed from the smooth surface of stone by the grasping claws of the growing gusts. “There. That should keep up for a while.”

Antares nodded, then frowned as he heard something rising higher over the groans and rasps of the wind... before he leaned back, eyes widening, as he saw something moving in the distance. He looked down as he felt a weak vibration... but soon, it became a tremor that only grew moment by moment, and he looked up sharply as shapes began to rise through the air before the young unicorn shouted: “They're coming!”

Moments before there had been nothing: and now, at the other end of the bridge, a dull buzzing was growing louder and louder with every passing moment as a swarm of Takers filled the air, flying eagerly above some gargantuan shape grinding and yanking itself up the steep mountain pass on the other side. And Antares could almost hear Cancer's eager cackles as more insects raced fervently over the length of the bridge, moving with horrible speed before Celestia's voice commanded sharply: “Now!”

The chorus of rumbles and buzzing from the other side of the bridge was met and joined by a growing hum from the gathered forces, and Antares winced at the build of power in the air before he began to raise his own horn... but Allonym reached sharply down, grasping the young stallion's horn and shaking his head curtly, and the glossy-black unicorn hesitated... but then only nodded quickly, before looking forwards again, breathing hard as the feeling of growing energy built around them, and the winds hissed as that power began to fill the air...

Celestia, Twilight and Prestige leaned forwards, bowing their heads as the unicorns behind them all did the same, the runic circle pulsing with light beneath their hooves as the Yamato Guard all bowed their heads forwards, pouring the fury of their Nightmare powers into the mix as well. Discord flinched away from where he was still sitting on the ledge, and Discombobulation only stood calmly amongst the demons and others, watching beside the other warriors as all around them, ponies, creatures of darkness, and people of every other shape and size and caliber poured their strength into the growing storm.

There was a crackle above... and then a blast of lightning shot down from the sky, striking and chaining between several of the higher Takers as the clouds rippled and swirled. Insect-beasts squealed, and then began to zigzag violently in the air as the windstorm picked up, the whisper of the wind becoming a hiss, becoming a snarl, becoming a furious roar that tore down the natural wind tunnel before slamming with hurricane force into the first wave of the swarm that was attempting to cross along both bridge and through the air.

Takers were knocked out of the sky and thrown from the bridge like straw in the tempest, hurled screaming in every direction as panic rippled visibly through the swarm: in the mountains on the other side of the gorge, those unfortunate to be close enough to the natural tunnel were yanked forwards into the jetstream, shrieking as the vicious swirl of wind smashed their bodies fiercely into the mountainside and hurled them like puppets down into the sharp rocks waiting eagerly below. Much of the swarm was forced to land, screeching and screaming over the wind... before a horrible, earth-shaking roar ripped through the air, almost disrupting the concentration of the ponies as Antares' eyes widened in horror.

Griselda snarled as she yanked herself up into the mountain pass, leaning forwards as her monstrous jaws dripped ooze and slime, her green eyes glowing with mindless, poisonous light. She dwarfed even the dragons Antares had seen by far, towering to the sky like an ominous, living mass of flesh and poison and bone and death.

Scale-like plates covered her features and body, of black and dark green, but they didn't line up properly, often stood out like ridges, and had peeled off here and there, revealing bruise-colored flesh beneath. Her shoulders were enormous, and pustules and massive cable-like veins stood out of her here and there, pulsing with venom and corrupt blood. She reached one immense, gnarled claw forwards to seize into the bridge, and she dragged herself slowly forwards with gargantuan, oversized arms that pulsed with raw flesh, as a thinner, emaciated set of forelegs standing out of her underbelly clawed cloven, broken hooves against the rock, helping to yank her slithering lower body forwards.

She reached her other arm ahead, growling, seizing into the side of the bridge and pulling herself fearlessly into the wind: it whipped up the scraggly blue vines that remained of her mane around the tall circlet of horns and thorns sticking up from the top of her head in a grisly, mocking crown. She bowed forwards with her movement, and her humped-up, hunched back bulged and flexed, countless pustules and what looked hideously like birthing pods and eggs clinging to her warped flesh and the oversized, exposed vertebrae of her spine all rippling with her movements.

Antares moaned in horror, shivering and stumbling as yells and howls rose up through the crowd: Griselda was almost too wide for the bridge, the stone creaking under her weight as her Takers swarmed visibly up along the thick, serpentine body-tail that made up her lower form, leaving a trail of greenish slime behind her with her movements like she was some immense slug, tiny legs all along the length of this ticking and trying to help propel her forwards. She was horrifying; she was malevolence, embodied; she was Cancer's ultimate creation.

“Look at it! Push through your fear, Antares, and look at her!” Allonym shouted, grasping the back of the young stallion's head before he pointed at her, and Antares moaned in horror, but forced his eyes forwards, studying her, every detail, forcing himself to stare before his eyes widened in shock as he saw what the Draconequus wanted him to see. He saw what this beast truly was: a living, mobile hive. The Takers' Queen, and the Takers' nest, all in one.

The monster leaned forwards, clawing into the bridge, yanking herself upwards again even as the winds only grew fiercer, and then Antares looked over his shoulder as Celestia strode quickly through the battle line still standing ready despite its horror, the young stallion shouting: “We won't kill her if we blow the bridge!”

“We have to try. We at least have to hope it stops her here.” Celestia replied calmly, despite the faint tremble that ran through her body. And then she glanced over her shoulder, shouting sharply: “Discombobulation!”

“No, let me show the puppy how it's done, he'll wet himself otherwise!” Discord shouted clearly over the wind, and the Draconequus leapt to his feet with a grin that did nothing to hide the terror in his eyes as he vanished from the spot, while Discombobulation simply flickered out of existence himself. For a few moments, there was nothing, as all eyes looked in horror to see the monster dragging itself even closer, snarling eagerly as it loomed over them even from only halfway across the bridge, countless Takers clinging against their Queen even as the whipping storm blew insect-beasts from its body now and then. Almost the entire swarm had landed on her, and Antares gritted his teeth, hoping his instincts were wrong before a massive bang ripped through the air over the sounds of both the focused tempest and the countless eager Takers and their Queen.

Immediately, Celestia flicked her horn firmly, creating an enormous wall of golden energy in front of them as the immense monster twitched with a rumble, the bridge rattling beneath her before there was a second massive blast, and this time the ponies were able to see chunks of stone flying in all directions out from beneath Griselda as she was rocked by the blast, before the monster pitched backwards with a roar of shock as the massive stone bridge all but disintegrated beneath her and she was pitched down into the gorge below. Takers were thrown from her body into the merciless winds and fell around her in a hail of bodies and screams, before the whole world seemed to shake when the Brobdingnagian monstrosity struck the bottom of the gorge far below, kicking up a cloud of dust that was quickly blown away by the tempestuous winds.

Unicorns stumbled out of the circle, and cursed in pain as recoil blasted over their horns, Prestige crying out and almost knocked flat as the powerful windstorm was almost immediately choked off, dying back down to a weak, cold breeze. For a few moments, there was only silence apart from the sound of shifting rock and stone plummeting down to land on soft carcasses or bounce along tattered cliff-side, and a few last bits of debris that had been flung high bounced uselessly off Celestia's shield: most of the bridge had collapsed, the only exception being the hundred feet or so of cracked stone outcropping in front of them.

The glow around Celestia's horn faded, and with it, the barrier disappeared as well, the ivory equine leaning forwards and looking out over the gorge silently. On the other side of the mountain pass, the Takers that had been left behind were buzzing wildly around, visibly agitated but like they had no orders and no sanity... at least for the moment.

The silence spiraled out, and Celestia and Antares both traded a nervous glance... then looked sharply up as a voice rasped: “You cowards, you traitors, you scum...”

There was a rumbling, a shifting... and then, at the jagged edge of the bridge's remains, a white claw appeared and seized into the stone before Cancer yanked himself up with a snarl, his red eyes glowing but a twisted grin on his face as he hauled himself upwards. Antares gritted his teeth, a tremble of fear running through him as the destruction entity strode forwards, looking like he had completely healed from the battle only a day ago as he licked his teeth slowly.

He faced them fearlessly, his eyes glowing brighter as he dug his claws against the ground, shaking his head slowly as he chided: “You dumb, numb, stupid little bite-sized treats don't get it, do you? You ain't done nothing but piss me and my old lady off now, you hear? Unless this is all one big misunderstanding, and you're just gonna quietly march on over here and offer yourselves up one by one to me and her in apology... and ooh, if you're nice, I just might let you choose your method of sacrifice...”

“We're here to stop you, Cancer. To destroy you. You will not take another step towards Ponyville. Here and now, you and your so-called 'bride' are both going to be destroyed.” Celestia said quietly and calmly, leaning forwards as Tyrfing lifted free of her back and into a ready position in front of her.

Cancer only grinned, however, leaning forwards as he giggled insanely, drooling a little as he whispered: “Oh yeah. White weasel, and the zombie, and the punk kid who I... I...” Cancer gargled, then dropped forwards, his red eyes glowing brighter as he almost convulsed.

“Hate-kill-destroy-eliminate-loathe-fear-murder... must murder... must kill... revenge, hunger, you are mine...” Cancer gurgled, then he threw his head back and screamed, even the fiercest of demons shivering at the sound of the howl before Cancer suddenly looked forwards again, grinning and posing as if nothing had happened as he tapped his hooves cheerfully back and forth against the ground in a quickstep.

“The kid who I'm gonna rip up and rip down and take out on a date in town. A dinner date. My dinner, to be precise.” Cancer said conversationally, and then he giggled a little before rubbing slowly at his features, beginning to breathe a bit harder as his eyes glowed brighter. “Oh, but this time I got plenty of friends of my own, see, who are all so eager to fight you for me...”

The mottled white destruction entity leaned forwards, then he began to step ahead... before snarling when Allonym stepped quickly ahead, spinning his cane around by the neck and pointing it at the monstrosity as he said quietly: “I don't think so. I think you should just stop right there. I'm not letting you get your greasy, cheating claws on these ponies if I can help it... I think I can throw at least one more wrench into your plans.”

“Get out my way, patchwork poutine! I'll deal with you later, eat you up nice and delicious with a side of cheese!” Cancer shouted angrily, clawing at the ground before he stepped forwards... and Allonym gritted his teeth, tossing his cane in the air before he caught it by the handle and slammed it savagely point-down in front of him, cracks radiating out through the stone as the rolling clouds above rumbled before unleashing a blast of lightning that hammered into the broken bridge halfway between him and the monster.

Cancer yelped as the surge of electricity blasted and arced across the bridge, thunder rumbling and energy crackling through the air around them as the Draconequus leaned forwards and shouted: “Go back to the Void! You shall not pass!”

Cancer rasped hard, eyes wide as the electricity continued to surge between them before the lightning finally died out... and then the monster snarled in fury before roaring and running forwards... only for Allonym to raise his cane in front of himself and simply flick it to the side, and the cracked, damaged bridge beneath the destruction entity shattered and erupted upwards. The mottled white monster shrieked as he was knocked stumbling, then dragged backwards as the remains of the bridge collapsed, leaping desperately forwards.. but it was too little, too late, as Allonym only smiled calmly from where he was standing at the safe edge of the natural bridge before he began to turn away.

Cancer screamed in fury, lashing one foreleg upwards as it erupted into a mass of tentacles, and several of these gouged uselessly into the stone side of the cliff... but one of them managed to wrap around Allonym's ankle, dragging him backwards as his eyes widened in surprise before he fell forwards with a wince and clawed wildly at the ground as he was pulled backwards. And all eyes could only stare as the Draconequus barely managed to snag the edge of the cliff with a wince, gasping in pain as Cancer grinned savagely up at him, red eyes glowing as the Avatar looked over his shoulder with a curse of pain as his blood spilled down the tentacle as others snapped cruelly back and forth, before he whispered: “Fine. We'll do this part of the reference, too.”

And with that, Allonym looked forwards, grimacing at the ponies as Antares stumbled towards him, but was thankfully caught by Discombobulation when the metal-armed Draconequus appeared beside the young stallion before Allonym barked as he felt Cancer beginning to slowly reel himself in on his own mottled appendage: “Fly, you fools!”

With that, the Avatar simply shoved himself backwards off the cliff edge, and Antares leaned forwards, yelling the Draconequus' name as Discombobulation seized tightly into his shoulders, stopping the young stallion from charging stupidly after the falling creatures. Allonym snarled as he spun around, cane still in hand as Cancer screamed in fury and outrage before lashing his other foreleg up as it exploded into a mass of tendrils that ripped savagely across Allonym's frame, sending up blood and making the chimerical creature howl in agony as Cancer yanked himself up while gravity pulled them both down, down, down...

Cancer's jaws bit at him, but Allonym managed to get his hand under the destruction entity's chin even as the awful, thorny tentacles constricted him with all the more force, as the Avatar leveled his cane up with his other hand, then thrusted it viciously forwards, plunging it through Cancer's chest. It tore all the way through his body, and the destruction entity screamed in shock and agony, his grip on the wounded Draconequus loosening enough that the chimerical creature was able to shove himself firmly away with a gasp of pain, tearing free of the monster's coils before he simply vanished in a burst of green electricity.

Cancer clawed wildly at the air, shrieking as he fell until he crashed down in a splatter on top of the fallen body of Griselda. The monster gargled, his red eyes flickering as his forelimbs slowly knotted back together and formed back into claws, and he rasped in and out as his body flexed and shivered around the cane buried through his frame, reaching up and grasping weakly at the handle of the walking stick pierced through him and now buried into the flesh of the enormous monster he was laying on top of, snarling in fury. “Gonna... hurt them all... so bad...”

Slowly, the monster began to sit up, mottled flesh shivering and then ripping as he yanked himself free from the cane that had been pinning him like a bug, and the destruction entity grinned insanely as he flopped forwards, grasping into the hot, pulsating flesh beneath him as his breath whistled in and out while the wound in his body healed. Then he threw his head back and howled before suddenly racing forwards, tearing along Griselda's slumped body as the stunned and confused Takers all responded with shrieks of their own, raising their heads high before Cancer reached the gigantic monster's upturned stomach, and a shuddering maw in her strange and alien body.

He tore into this, and heat and darkness surrounded him for a moment before the monster lurched into a cavern of flesh and bone and chitinous plating. Honeycombed passages led in all directions, and small, sleek insects were racing around, hissing quietly to each other as they moved eggs and frantically worked to repair their Queen: their Hive.

And in the center of it all, the floor pulsating around her, thick veins and cables of flesh pulsing down from her back and into the fleshy ground she herself was melded into, was Griselda. Her upper body was layered with black plating and her eyes were closed, blue, ragged mane spilling around her tiara of three tall horns. She had long, gangly arms that ended in dexterous claws, and Cancer licked his lips as he approached her before cooing: “Sweetie, time to wake up now... honey-buns, I know you took a big nasty fall, but now Cancer's gonna make it all better...”

The monster grinned as his red eyes glowed, then he leaned forwards and breathed toxic, poisonous gases out over her features, and Griselda shivered... then inhaled slowly as her eyes glowed, before she snarled and opened her mouth wide, hissing loudly. Cancer only chuckled however, slipping around her sinuously, reaching up to massage her shoulders lightly as he whispered: “They're waiting for us up above. They're stunned and scared and don't know what to do. Get moving, honey, and I'll sing you a song.”

Griselda hissed again, then she threw her head back and screamed, and Cancer cackled as the walls rippled... before the outer shell, the living hive that both was and protected Griselda, slowly began to haul itself up to its claws, throwing its head back with a roar that shook the mountains and awakened the Takers from their stupefaction as their horns all glowed brightly.

Then, in one, awful wave, the Takers that had survived began to flood towards the wall of the gorge and threw themselves into the air, shrieks and buzzing filling the air as above, Celestia cursed and shouted: “Now, now, we need the wind now!”

But even as the wind began to grow in strength again, the Takers began to surge upwards over the lip of the gorge, moving with awful rapidity as they screamed and shrieked: more buzzed quickly into the air, and Celestia cursed as she gestured with Tyrfing sharply to the battle line. “Hold them here! Destroy them!”

Even if their numbers had been severely reduced, the Takers still greatly outnumbered the ponies... and even if Celestia had withdrawn the battle line slightly and Antares was delivering orders to Greece for her – and hopefully by now, helping with their escape options – the moment the monsters had reconnected their hive mind they had all begun to move en masse on the offensive. And worse, the confused creatures on the other side of the gorge were no longer confused, and rushing eagerly to join their brethren in a full assault.

The Pegasus snipers above targeted the flying Takers first, but they were sleek and fast: any hits scored came mostly out of raw luck and the fact that the swarm was moving in so thickly that any shots were bound to hit something. But it did also draw the attention of many of the insect-beasts, which buzzed greedily towards the line of rifle-wielding Starlit Knights.

One of the soldiers panicked, yelling and flinging his rifle away as he turned to flee into the sky, while others fired and some of the Pegasi tossed their guns down to engage in the melee; a moment later, the group of Takers buzzing towards the Pegasi was greatly reduced as a massive blast of flame ripped through the air and tore through the center of the group, the bodies of the bug-beasts catching quickly alight as they screamed and shrieked and panicked.

Below, Burning Desire snarled as he flicked his horn hard, sending a second enormous comet of flame rocketing forwards into the thick of another group of Takers, scattering them as he shouted furiously: “Come on, come on, come and challenge us!”

Demons smashed into bug-beasts, and Nightmares in golden armor ripped apart and crushed monsters under their plated hooves beside Celestia, as Tyrfring tore back and forth through the surging crowd of insectile creatures. Takers screamed and fought back savagely, vomiting acid, ganging up on demons, pouncing like animals on the backs of victims to bite and rend. And even as unicorn and demonic magic blasted swathes through the horde and sent entire groups of Takers flying, even as Sleipnir smashed his way through bug after bug and Twilight lashed out with spells that reduced masses of the monsters to ashes, there were always still more flooding forwards: their numbers never seemed to dwindle, they never showed fear, they constantly pressed viciously, cruelly forwards with their attacks.

Prestige stumbled backwards with a shriek as a Taker lashed a claw across her, then she snarled, eyes and horn both glowing as she swept her horn viciously downwards and sent a blade of fire shooting forth, slicing through several of the bug beasts before it exploded in a blast that rattled the cliffs. Then she cried out in fear as behind her, a unicorn mage was tackled to the ground, screaming as the bugs began to rip and shred him apart, jaws biting and savaging before she leapt out of the way when another Taker dove clumsily at her from above, crashing uselessly into the ground before she turned and sprinted hurriedly towards the nearest ally.

Discombobulation cursed as he slammed his metal fist across the jaw of a Taker that threw itself at him, knocking it sprawling before he winced and snapped his fingers as several more lunged at him: instead, they only crashed into walls of thick plate glass that formed around him, then toppled onto the aggressive bugs, squashing them flat.

The Draconequus cursed, then looked up as Prestige ran towards him, making a face before he stepped quickly forwards as a baseball bat appeared in his grip, and he swung this firmly out as Prestige ducked with a wince before the steel bat collided with the face of a lunging Taker. It was knocked flying with a squeal, and Discombobulation quickly spun and flung the bat into the face of another bug creature, knocking it rocketing into the air with a shriek as he shouted: “You better be Zelda, not Jigglypuff!”

“This is no time for jokes! What do we do?” Prestige cried, even as she flicked her horn firmly, a spike of rock tearing out of the ground and knocking another Taker flying backwards with a howl... but two more were already rushing forwards greedily to take the place of their fallen comrade and renew the attack.

“We try really, really hard not to die!” Discombobulation answered in a strangled voice... and then he cursed and staggered, the mountains rumbling as another roar echoed up from below, and the Takers all screamed a response that made the strained fighters all flinch before the Draconequus howled in pain as one of the insects ripped its claws into his chest as it tackled him backwards.

Prestige immediately turned with a yell of shock, snapping her horn out on instinct more than anything else, and a blast of flame hammered the monster off of the chimerical creature. Then she shrieked, beginning to turn as more beasts lunged in towards her back... but in a moment, Twilight was in front of her apprentice, the Lich snarling and simply ignoring the claws that ripped into her body before she snapped her horn back and released a powerful shockwave of force.

It smashed the insects around them backwards, and they squealed and writhed before Celestia's voice rang out through the mountains, as an enormous claw smashed through the remains of the stone bridge and seized into the side of the ragged cliffs: “Retreat! All forces fall back!”

Prestige turned to bolt at this order as Discombobulation staggered to his feet, beginning to hurry away before he frowned and looked over his shoulder at Twilight, who was only staring towards Celestia... Celestia, who was standing near the edge of the cliffs in dented and blood-splattered armor with her loyal Yamato Guard around her, and Discombobulation mouthed several choice words as Twilight ran straight into the horde of Takers between her and the winged unicorn, the Lich blasting and rushing through them as the bug-creatures swarmed wildly after the fleeing warriors of Ponyville.

“Oh hell.” Discombobulation groaned, then he winced and smacked a Taker that lunged at him, knocking it flat before the Draconequus vanished from the spot... and reappeared beside Celestia just as she viciously slashed another of the bug-creatures in half, the chimerical creature wheezing: “And just what about you, Tia?”

“It's not time for me to run yet.” Celestia said quietly, glancing over at the Draconequus with a faint smile even as Griselda slowly hauled herself upwards with a furious roar, Takers continuing to flood towards them... but met with Celestia's sword, the Yamato's hooves, and the claws of demons like Atrus and Hevatica, driving them back and keeping them at bay. “You don't have to stay, Bob.”

“And never hear the end of it? I don't think so.” Discombobulation replied quietly, then he winced as a blast of force ripped through the nearby crowd of Takers and sent them bug creatures flying in all directions as a flayed Twilight Sparkle finally lunged forwards to join the pocket of resistance standing near the end of the pass. “Oh good, you made it.”

Twilight only smiled faintly, then turned her eyes calmly forwards even as one of Griselda's roars echoed through the air around them, vibrating the ground beneath their feet and sending stones tumbling down the side of the cliff it was clinging to, the monster snarling as the Takers all shrieked in what sounded like triumph. The knot of warriors stood proud, though, heads raised and fearless as the Takers fell back slightly, no longer attacking but forming a perimeter as Celestia, Twilight, and Discombobulation looked calmly up at the sight of Cancer as Griselda rose her head high and hissed slowly.

“Oh look at this, look at this, look at what we have here... are you the entertainment for today, boys and girls? That's too bad... but hey, intelligence is the better part of cowardice, ain't it? Or are you really the brave and noble jackasses who thought they'd stay behind as munchies and crunchies for all my kiddies while your friends ran back home crying?” Cancer leaned forwards, red eyes glowing mockingly from where he stood on Griselda's skull in front of her natural crown, the destruction entity licking his lips slowly. “You look so stupid and small down there, white weasel, zombie, and patchwork toy... ooh, yes, three peeps I'm gonna take my sweet, sweet time with...”

Celestia only smiled calmly, however, glancing over her shoulder even as enormous Taker Beetles and stranger-still insect-creatures swarmed forwards, the ivory winged unicorn asking quietly: “If you're so confident, Cancer, then why exactly are you hiding up there, while we're all right here? Although it is a little disappointing how much of your army's chosen to pursue my friends and allies... I was hoping for a better challenge.”

“Cocky little bitch!” Cancer threw his head back and laughed, the mottled-white entity grinning slowly as he licked his teeth eagerly, entertainment gleaming in his eyes, and then he leaned forwards and whispered: “I promised my sweetie here a song, and I think I got just the right one to deliver. Tell you what, white weasel, you and your friends make it to the end of the tune without being subdued by my love-children, and I'll kill you fast. Scout's honor, won't turn you into a monster or nothin'.”

“You fail to recognize one important thing, Cancer.” Celestia said quietly, closing her eyes as she bowed her head forwards and electricity sparked through her mane... and then she looked coldly, sharply up, flares of golden light bursting through the air around her and transforming into three golden short swords. “I'm already what many would consider 'a monster.'”

Tyrfing and the short blades lashed out, ripping into the crowd of Takers and sending up thick gouts of green and black blood, and Cancer threw his head back and laughed before he crowed: “Get 'em, boys and girls!”

Monsters swarmed forwards on all sides as more leapt into the air, shooting eagerly down... and as Celestia, Twilight, Discombobulation and their allies met them, the destruction entity threw his head back with a whoop before he started to sway his head back and forth, shaking his body as he chanted:

“Oh, oh, oh, oh, hey! Time to dance, time to sing, time to play,
It's my favorite part of my favorite day:
Killing time! Ha, ha, ha, yeah!

Oh-oh-oh! Oh-oh-oh! Party time, let's go, go, go!
We gonna have ourselves some fun today and all night,
We gonna cut 'em down... we gonna bleed 'em dry-dry-dry!”

Celestia snarled as a Beetle lunged at her, smashing the flat of Tyrfing into its features to knock it staggering backwards with a rasp before all three of her short swords plunged forwards just over the back of its head, sinking deep through the back of its neck just above the shell. The monster fell limp, and Celestia leaned forwards as her swords yanked free, blasting the immense corpse rolling backwards and knocking Takers flying like bowling pins.

Another Taker lunged in at her side, but one of the Yamato intercepted it, yanking it out of the air and crushing it into the ground before the golden-armored, faintly-steaming Nightmare kicked another of the bug creatures away when the Taker tried to pounce on its back. The bug-beast had only a moment to squeal before it was disintegrated by a blast of magic from Twilight, however, as the Lich fought viciously, her remaining stitches straining and popping as steam hissed up from her undead body, bared teeth and glowing eyes making her all the more fearsome a sight to behold.

And Cancer laughed at the sight, grinning viciously as one of the demons was buried under a swarm of bug-creatures and a Kelpie was covered in goo that rapidly turned solid, leaving her vulnerable even as Yamato rushed to try and defend her. And still, the mottled monster sang:

“You know, you know, you know you ain't got what it takes to fight,
Baby-baby-baby, it's too late to set anything right!
Yeah, yeah, all you can do, all you gonna do is... die!

“Oh, sha-da-do-da-do-do-bop, oh whoa, how it's gonna hurt,
Oh, sha-dee-da-do-da-what

the hell?” Cancer almost bit his own tongue as as a rumble went through the air and there was a flare of vibrant light in the distance, Griselda rearing back with a loud hiss as Takers all looked up and shrieked in confusion.

And then Griselda gave a furious roar, her eyes glowing brighter as Cancer snarled and gazed off into the distance, cursing under his breath as he anchored himself and stared in shock at the sight of golden flames burning violently along the mountains, Celestia looking up and shouting as the monster was distracted by the sight of the trap that had hopefully incinerated most of the Takers: “Hit her with everything you've got!”

Celestia snapped her horn upwards, and there was a flash of light far above, a blast of flame forming into a golden meteor that shot from the skies and smashed directly into Griselda's face. The tremendous explosion knocked the monster off balance and sent flames ravaging along its skull, Cancer knocked flying from the blast with a squeal of shock back into the depths of the gorge behind it. A moment later, a blue fireball smashed into Griselda's features, erupting in a tremendous boom before Twilight snapped her horn down with a yell, even as the rest of the stitches violently snapped over her body and she visibly rippled.

An immense bolt of lightning hammered down from the skies, smashing across Griselda and jolting violently over her body, the monstrosity dropping its head forwards and hunching up its gnarled shoulders with a howl of pain and shock as electricity jarred between its horns, the Takers around them screaming in pain.

Before Griselda could recover, Discombobulation gritted his teeth and reached behind himself, then yanked a long, thick green tube out of seemingly nowhere, raising it to his shoulder. He pulled the trigger, and there was a burst of sound and a blast of fire as a rocket shot from it to hammer into Griselda's features, exploding in a tremendous, neon bang of smoke and fireworks and flames as the monster's claws dragged trenches in the rocky earth.

“Idiot ponies can't do anything right!” snapped Discord's voice from where he was standing on a nearby ledge and glowering down at the scene. Then he winced as several of the Takers below screamed up at him, before the Draconequus hurriedly snapped his fingers when Griselda began to lean forwards and regain her senses.

The earth the monster was clinging into transformed into what looked like chocolate pudding, and Griselda's heavy claws sank into this as she slipped backwards before howling in fury and frustration as she tumbled off the ledge. She crashed back down into the gorge below with an enormous rumble, the Takers shrieking and seeming to panic as a sludgy waterfall of chocolatey goo poured down over the monstrosity that had tumbled down into the gorge.

Immediately, Celestia turned around, flicking her horn sharply to send a blast of fire ripping through the crowd of Takers, and a straight corridor was blown through the disoriented bugs as creatures shrieked and yelped, before the ivory winged unicorn shouted clearly over the din of howling bugs: “This way, now!”

Discord simply made a childish face and blew a raspberry and vanished from where he had been standing, as Celestia led the others on a sharp, hard charge through the thin gap in the ranks of insectile creatures, knocking the Takers that got in their way flying or trampling them under hoof. Discombobulation vanished himself once he saw things were clear, and the demons burst into dark smoke as the Yamato Guard stayed close by Celestia, Twilight rasping hard as she followed in her flayed body before snarling over her shoulder as the thronging bug creatures began to regain their senses, as a roar from Griselda surged through the air.

The bug creatures turned, and Twilight looked ahead as Celestia looked back: now it was only them and the Yamato Guard, and far ahead down the mountain pass, Twilight could see not only wreathing, gray smoke rising to the skies, but yellow flames still dancing back and forth: holy fire that had charred many of the bugs into ashes or turned them into broken, burning stone statues. And Twilight breathed hard before she gritted her teeth, letting herself fall back as she shouted: “Go!”

Celestia was loathe to... and yet knew no other choice, rushing onwards and clenching her eyes shut. It wasn't farewell, with Twilight being who and what she was... but all the same it hurt, and she knew it would hurt Antares, as she and her armored bodyguards ran straight at the wall of golden flames. And even with the screaming and the crackling of fire, even as the ground vibrated from Griselda's roars of outrage and fury and Celestia thought that in the distance, she could hear the faintest sounds of her friends and family fighting off the Takers that had survived the blessed oil trap that Greece had laid... everything seemed silent.

Sound wasn't sound, it was something else, something she almost felt, like prickles on her skin... until that one sound she was listening for came, and it took all her strength not to look back as the explosion ripped through the air. She felt herself singed by the touch of it, and at the same time, the blue flames almost caressed her: to do a little more damage to Cancer's forces, to buy them the time to escape, Twilight had used herself as a decoy and detonated her body.

Nothing that would kill her... but now they would need to find her a new body, and she would require a period of rest after such a massive magical exertion. And now Celestia would have to explain to Antares why Twilight wasn't coming back with her, why over these next few crucial days, Antares would be without a mother and they would be without the help of one of the greatest ponies Celestia had ever had the honor of meeting and knowing.

They charged into the wall of holy fire, and Celestia closed her eyes as the Yamato around her gleamed brightly, their armor protecting them from the flames, while Celestia felt only the faintest pain as her mane and tail glowed brightly and surged with electricity. They ran through the inferno... and Celestia only hoped that they would be enough to hold off the monstrosities behind them for just a little while longer while she tried to figure out a way to destroy destruction incarnate.