• Published 24th Oct 2012
  • 3,614 Views, 72 Comments

Progenitor - primepersephony



A young man is pulled into an infant Equestria, and finds an equally infant Celestia.

  • ...
7
 72
 3,614

Prologue.

"How could I possibly have imagined, that I would be part of the birth of Equestria."



The howling of wind slipping through the crack of my slightly open window, caused me to shiver unexpectedly. Winter had come, and I had hardly prepared for it. I was soon going to regret my stigma of procrastination for doing so. So I did what came easily to me, I simply tightened my blanket around my freezing body. It was going a long night indeed.

To be truthful, had I been living back at home, I would be in a much more comfortable place. A nice warm electric fire to warm the soul, three warm meals a day, and all of them would be actual meals and much better than the cans of ravioli and packages of noodles I had left in my reserves.

I shouldn’t forget my family either, who was both annoying, fun ,and well... loving. Even despite the fact they had been quite disappointed in my performance at college. A college my parents had saved up their pennies all my life to send me to.

As the holidays usually go, I’d also receive some heart felt gifts. Ones that I would never be able to return the favor, because of my lack of bank, and lack of willingness to find an alternative. But they would just say that “You being home is all we could ask for.”

Really, it was a wonder I hadn’t taken the December holidays to greater effect, and simply just go home. But I guess I’m just too lazy for that too. I mean, its a no brainer that I should be home since it was only five days before Christmas, but....I don’t know. I really don't know how I managed to make an excuse this time. Oh right, I was a plane ride away, and a huge storm was brewing in my area. And grounding the planes for the foreseeable future.

“How lucky I am.” I thought, trying to decide whether or not the storm was good or bad luck. Considering my solid rate of non-decision, I should have felt dirty for acting just like the politicians of the world. But I didn’t really care that much about politics anyway for all the ‘use’ it gives us nowadays. So, I’ll just silently add the next innumerable number to my mental count of times I failed to make a decision.

So, with school being out for the the rest of the year, the storm making it impossible to fly home, and my friends too busy to hang out, there was only one thing left for me to do. Lose myself in the most counterproductive invention to mankind, “the internet.” Specifically, it was time to indulge in the pastel colored characters of “My Little Pony.” Yeah, I know, it’s strange for a young adult male to be watching a show for little girls, but I really don’t care about what you think. I’m a brony.

But to be fair, I’m not as huge a brony as most of the people that go by the name. I don’t indulge in fanfiction, fanart, collecting toys, or making big deals about the background ponies. All I know is what I’m told from friends or actually having seen the occasional fanart part of a friend’s Skype profile picture. Why? Because once again I simply didn’t care. Well to be fair, I just didn’t care enough.

The howl of the wind once more sent a chill down my spine, bringing me back to reality, and then suddenly a thunderous crash. I turned around to see the shutters of my window flailing about, the old rusty lock must have finally gave way to the storm.

This was one of the few times I felt compelled to do anything. I needed to secure the shutters of the window now, before they either broke off completely, or shattered the window of the old house I was paying to live in. I didn’t want to lose my two hundred dollar deposit or live the next few days in the cold either... and hell I figure the landlord would appreciate my feigned initiative.

I had a roll of string on my desk, figuring that to be my adequate alternative to the all fixing ‘duck tape,’ I grabbed it and examined the situation closely. For the task at hand, all I really needed to do was rope the shutters together, that is after I grabbed them, and held onto them tightly for a little bit. Easy solution, one that would allow me to keep my deposit, and as a side bonus, keep the sun out of my room forever. Then I could enjoy sleeping in whenever I felt like it.

I slided up the window and it’s surrounding wooden frame, a blast of wind gushed in, actually causing me to stumble back as the temperature of the room decided it too needed a vacation south. I will regret this.

Working as quickly as possible to help stop the genocide of the temperature I liked enough to actually care for, I put out my hands to catch the first shutter. They were both whipping around violently and slammed my left hand in a painful blow. But I finally managed to get ahold of the first, and the second soon after. I leaned my head forward to caress my hand, hoping it would help relieve some of the pain, but it didn’t. So without further stalling, I started wrapping the string around the open slits of the shutters that strung them together nicely.

I was about to tie a knot. when the wind picked up again, causing me to lose my handle on the shutters, and to my amazement, ripped themselves off the entire frame soon after. “Damn,” I swore, “there goes my deposit.”

I stared at the now useless pieces of wood flying about like they were birds in an instance of heavy turbulence. But then my attention shifted when the shutters had curved upward like a boomerang and bolted for... a tornado.

Outside of my window, in the middle of winter (which should been impossible) was a huge twister, encompassing most of the town. It was hard to believe I’d only noticed now, or that the internet, or telephone lines hadn’t gone out yet. Hell, I was expecting some kind of broadcast on the radio, but then I realized I hadn’t bothered to turn it on since I moved in.Or even some city workers going door to door to evacuate everyone. Just...completely out of nowhere.

I was stunned, shocked even, and for the first real time in my life, dreadfully scared. I went from a person who didn't give a damn about anything, to a person who actually did in... well you get the idea.

I heard a huge snap, and a rumble. The roof of the house had tilted heavily, and it felt like the room was starting to be sucked into the monstrous tornado that was only just outside my window. I was in danger of being crushed by the house I lived in before being thrown about like a tennis ball in court.

It’s a heart wrenching fear to be faced with such a tremendous force of nature, and well....I couldn’t help but to stare, I felt my clothes whipping about like paper in a mild gust around campus. But the more I looked, the more I felt like I was being sucked in.

I was being pulled outside of a crumbling house into a tornado. It’s a hugely strange and overwhelming thing to be lifted from your room and pulled into the air. It’s a feeling of weightlessness that’s indescribable, because it felt like you were falling sideways, with your stomach still sinking, and your hair stinging your eyeballs because you haven’t had a haircut in months.

I was right about one thing when it came to the shutters though, I definitely did regret this.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Did I die.

I mean, I should have right?

Then why do I feel so ...untouched.

So clear

So... energetic.

I felt weightless

And yet... so scared.

I was too scared to even open my eyes.

“It is alright, you're safe now.” An echoing voice felt like it encompassed my head, soothing me greatly with it’s soft feminine voice.

I opened my eyes, and to my amazement, I saw nothing at all. And I mean nothing. I was there in my own body as if the storm never happened. Just floating endlessly, it felt like I was stuck in a windless sky, and nothing but the same white for as far as I could see... in literally any direction.

“Am I dead?”... I never meant to say that, and for the most part my lips to my knowledge, never moved. But it felt like I had said it with normal volume.

“Yes, but not in your traditional sense.” The voice came back to me, I desperately looked around for the origin, but as far as I could tell, it was coming from my own mind.

“What? Who are you? Show yourself!” I spat. I was kinda angry in my confusion, and I’d always wanted to say that cliched line. It also gave me this feeling of grounded normalness from the cheesy line, and normalness right now was a desperately needed commodity.

“I cannot show myself in the way that you’d like, because all you see right now is me.” The voice calmed me down further with its soothing tones.

“Are you God?” I asked. Hell...oh wait, if this is God, I should refrain from saying anything blasphemous or bad like ‘hell’. Then again I was never religious, and well according to my overly Christian friends, I had to believe in God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit to get into heaven.

“You have no need to fear, I am not your creator, nor am I your reaper. I am simply a being that exists like yourself.” What does that mean?

“As far as I know, I don’t know anything right about now! So could you spare me the cryptic stuff and just give me a hand?” I complained.

“I have no hands.” Oh great, a smartass. “But I will explain what it is that is happening to you.” It paused as if to let me have a chance to retort. “You see, I am a creator. Not yours, but, you could say, we are part of the same... spectrum.”

“Okay, so what does a....well, whatever you are, want with me? I’m not special... unless you're one of those omnipotent beings that liked to screw with people and give them superpowers or something like that.” I asked...and actually hoped that maybe I would get a superpower, because that would be pretty cool.

“You see, in your world...or dimension as you’d call it, you are simply a being of unimportance in the history of that plane of existance. You would never achieve anything, and your significance to the world is so unimportant that if I removed you from it, it would not change it in any shape or form.” What? What the hell! This thing just said that everything and everyone I’ve ever met would not be affected at all from my disappearance.

“But that doesn't make sense. Even if you killed a butterfly in the age of the dinosaur, the world could be affected profoundly. How can you possibly say that I, a person, much large than a simple butterfly, wouldn't affect it more more than an insect!” My heart steamed with hate, and I thanked myself for spending so much time on the internet to learn about the Butterfly Effect.

“I cannot explain, as you wouldn’t understand. But I can tell you, despite the fact that you may not be of any value to that world. You possess unparalleled power in the world I will create, more so than any other being of your dimension. Your value to the new world I am creating is perhaps out of reach of your understanding.” Always the same voice, so calm and so soothing, it just made me more mad than I’ve ever been in my entire life, and that is damn well saying something.

“So just because I’m a being that isn’t some omnipotent creator, that means I’m inferior?” My anger seethed through my words.

“No. You are certainly not inferior, than my....race. As the peoples we create possess things we couldn’t understand, you wouldn’t understand the methods which brought you here.”

“Like?” I challenged. My eyes squinting in anger.

“We lack such things as imagination, conflict, emotion, life, death, desire, and love as you would call them. And although we understand the motions and methods behind such things, we shall never truly understand them.”

I didn’t know whether or not to be angry, happy, confused, or even sad for this...thing. As much as I would love to know everything, losing my imagination, emotions, or anything like that, seemed like a price all too high. Even for someone who did not fully show how much I actually valued them.

“I see, I think....” I simply said. “so...I’m dead.” I reiterated.

“To your world, you are, but here you are, and very much alive. You still shall be when you’ve completed the task you are here to perform.” A task? For some kind of god that pulled me from home without so much as asking me? Right, I don't think so.

“I don’t suppose I could just say no, and not help you out at all right?” I mean, its not like an omnipotent being can force you to do things right? I mean I do believe God had to ask Abraham to kill his son. Right?

“Well you could, but then you would be lost here in this plane of existence for eternity.” Oh...that sounded like it would get boring really quick. Being stuck in an empty white space with nothing to do but think and be weightless.

“Fine... alright, you win.” I sighed. “Just explain to me what is I have to do, so I can get on... with whatever it is that will happen when I’m done.” I sighed more.

“I’m afraid I can’t explain to you what will happen. But you’ll know you’re objectives.” Wow that’s helpful.

“Really? you can’t just tell me? Why the hell not?”

“You’ll understand soon enough, as by explaining what to do, I would affect your mental state thus preventing the smooth completion of the process. Trust me, once we reach the end, you’ll wish it would have happened no other way.” Really unhelpfully cryptic.

“Fine. I don't trust you, but there’s nothing I can do about it so... start this thing so I can... get on with it.”

“Of course, you shall begin soon.”

I came to a realization at that moment, I had no idea what to call this being who ripped me from home so... callously, and without my permission. “What’s your name?”

“As creators we dont have a need for name, nor the creativity to make one.” Oh great. “But if you like, you may give me one.” Well... I guess that may be pretty cool... I mean how many people can say they’ve named a god, creator, or whatever this thing is. I thought about it for a minute, trying names in my head.

Thinking of as many unpleasant names I could give this ’god’, thinking each time, how clever I would be to call it something vulgar or humiliating, before I finally remembered it didn’t give a damn about names in the first place. “You know, just get this thing started, I’m sure I’ll think of something later. Just start it.”

With no answer, I looked around and waited for some sort of response. But my waiting had yielded none. And yet I felt tired, so much so that I felt like I was nodding off. My world of white disappeared in a world of black.

_________________________________________________________________________


Weight.

The warmth of the sun

The smell of grass.

The caress of the wind.

Normalness.

...Relief...

I opened my eyes to find myself in an open flat grassland, as far as my eyes could see. The wind blowing each individual blade of grass, making them dance with a grace that only the wind could give them. All while the sun got reacquainted with my eyes in the first time in a while. But to be fair, it felt too good to be in someplace that was far more normal than where I had been.

However I couldn’t shake the feeling of being still in some kind of dreamscape.

Was it all just a dream?

I mean, it would be crazy not to think so, right? Is this also a dream? It was winter after all, and to my guess it was more like summer now. So was I really pulled from my room into a tornado, into an.... unsettling “plane of existence”? Let’s not forget speaking to a disembodied voice that seemed to live in my own skull.

And now, being on solid ground makes me feel as if I haven’t lost my marbles just yet. But maybe I have yet to realize I already have.

The sound of a crying baby grabbed my attention instantly. My heart stopped for just a moment, maybe I was home, maybe everything I just went through had been nothing more than a silly dream, and maybe just maybe, I learned to hibernate through winter. That would be pretty cool.

Wait a baby!

I got to my feet and started to look for the sound of it. I hoped desperately that maybe this baby had some kind of adult with it. Maybe one that could lead me back home, or give me directions, and with luck, they’d have a car or even a phone?

The baby continued it’s wailing, and I was able to hone in on it. Running across the field as thoughts of home raced through my mind, I’d never wanted to be home more in my entire life. I was already exhausted, It was only a short sprinting distance too.

I guess I should feel ashamed by the fact that I can’t get into a ten second sprint without breathing and gasping heavily.

I finally got sight on source of sound that was carried in the wind. A small object wrapped in a white blanket that was undoubtedly the baby. I stopped in my move as I realized this child had been alone, and crying for its mother maybe.

I stopped next to the little bundle of white cloth, out of breath. I kneeled down to the baby, its entire body hidden by warm blanket. I brought it up into my arms instinctively, wanting to coo the baby into a happy silence. But when I grabbed the cloth, it folded open enough to reveal its face.

This wasn’t what I expecting at all.

I could hardly believe my own eyes.

Because beneath the cowl and held in my trembling hands, was a royal white baby pony with flowing pink hair and bright purple eyes. Sporting an equally white horn, wings, and feathers. I gasped in shock. I was totally confused heavily, I mean I was expecting a human baby for sure not a carbon copy of a pastel colored pony from my little pony.

The little pony in the wrap, stopped crying, and looked at me with curious eyes, examining my every feature without any sort of discrimination. It was adorable to say the least, I actually felt compelled to lean in closer to it’s face, so it could get a closer look.

I came to the sharp and playful realization that I had been played. I wasn’t sure whether to be happy, confused, or even angry. This was pretty clear evidence that I had infact truthfully been ripped from my own home, and thrown into some world where ponies from a tv show were actually real. But why? Why make a world where ponies like the show’s existed? And why me? there were probably millions of more my little pony fans that would serve as better subjects or persons for this task. Hell I never even played with the idea of living in equestria.

Wait a second... the creator wanted me to help it create world... I wasn’t in a world where ponies were added, I was placed in the literal Equestria. My mind brought up a picture in my head of a similar looking pony that , and I instantly knew the name of this little pony.

Celestia.


Thanks to Coeus for taking on the editing of this chapter :D