• Published 24th Oct 2012
  • 954 Views, 7 Comments

FlitterCC-Mod's 30 Minute Ponies Stories - FlitterCCmod



My collection of SFW stories for 30 Minute Ponies writing challenges on Tumblr.

  • ...
1
 7
 954

Spells of the Ancient Unicorns

Twilight Sparkle walked into the Canterlot Library, and was greeted by both Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. Two guards shut the door behind her, leaving them in an otherwise-empty library. It would have been creepy, if she hadn't been surrounded by hundreds of years of knowledge.
"Princess Celestia? Is something wrong?" she asked. "You don't usually call me to Canterlot."
"No, Twilight, nothing is wrong this time. Luna and I have been talking about giving you a gift," Celestia answered.
Luna's horn glowed, and a thick black tome appeared out of thin air. The cover was decorated with stars and squiggly lines. Twilight felt pulled to look into it, though she waited for an explanation.
"You recall when I gave you your part in the Hearth's Warming Eve play, of course," Celestia said.
"Clover the Clever, apprentice to Starswirl the Bearded and loyal follower of Princess Platinum," Twilight recited. "Also the inventor of many spells, including the creator of the modern teleport lock."
"Yes, that is correct. This is no quiz, though," Celestia said.
"This is Clover's personal spell book, which he created near the end of his life," Luna said. "It is filled with 338 spells, the sum knowledge of the unicorns of his day. You will recognize most of the spells, for certain."
"Wait, I thought Clover lived around 2,000 years ago. How is the book in such amazing condition?" Twilight asked.
"Come now, Twilight. It's just a simple spell to repel decay," Celestia said.
"The book is yours, for as long as you'll protect it, and any... undesirable spells within," Luna said.
"What do you mean, 'undesirable'?" Twilight asked.
"The days of Clover were troubled times. You know of the blizzard that they faced, and the feuding of nations. However, later on, there was the added issue of... Discord," Luna said, her voice turning bitter at the name.
"The unicorns developed spells for war, many of which caused unimaginable pain. Open the book, Twilight. Find page 164, and read the second spell on the page," Celestia said.
Twilight opened the book, and flipped through it slowly. She was amazed at some of the spells. They included the names of the spell's creators beside the effect and name of the spell. She eventually found page 164, and looked at the spell with wide eyes.
"'Boneshatter jinx, created by Quake. This curse causes every bone in the victim's body to shatter painfully, one at a time.' Oh, I think I'm going to be sick..." Twilight said, swallowing hard.
"As you can no doubt see, there are spells in this book that are better left unknown by the public, or even by the military. We hold ourselves to higher standards than the unicorns of the day did. Undue suffering is not the way to fight wars," Celestia said. "So long as you avoid giving the spells within this book to others, nor testing the violent ones, you may keep the spellbook for as long as you like."
Twilight's eyes lit up, and she suddenly leaped up to hug her mentor around the neck. She held on for just a moment before going to hug Luna, who kept a stoic expression on her face. Finally, Twilight let go, and picked up the book with her magic.
"Now go, Twilight. Learn the magic of the ancient unicorns. Every ounce of Clover's knowledge is at your disposal," Celestia said, smiling.
"Thank you, Princess Celestia! And you, too, Princess Luna! I can't wait to learn these spells at home!" Twilight exclaimed.
She galloped out the door with the book in tow, eager to return home and read through the book... twice. Celestia simply tilted her head for a moment, before flashing out of the library. Luna soon followed.